Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

OWLS! posted:

Question, would the slide from a 75 B fit on a pre-B 75? Something about a reverse-dual-tone 75 with the old hammer style just strikes my fancy...

I'm going to guess that it won't really function easily as a quick-swap. The B indicates that the model has a firing pin block safety in it. A Pre-B CZ 75 wouldn't have the proper parts in the frame, namely the fire control group, to deactivate the firing pin block.

You would have to replace the FCG in the Pre-B frame to get a 75B slide to function in said frame. And I'm not sure if that's even possible.

CZ Custom would know more. They might even say I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

Pussy I'm a slut for the Short & Weak.

My wife held drat-near every SAO in Kittery before deciding on this one:

Berettas fit my hand better, but I can see why you guys go nuts over these things.

Is that an 85 SAO?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

operation_paperclip posted:

CZ pistols

Hey, don't you also have a CZ rifle of some kind that I would surely, certainly like to see pictures of?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

crutt posted:

Hello new used friend!

Beauty.

That's a fair number of mags, too. Did they come with the gun?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

crutt posted:

It came with 4 10 round mags, so I'm guessing the previous owner was from CA. I might try selling them at calguns if I get un-lazy

You could just keep them around for IDPA matches, which specifically limit the total number of rounds in any magazine to ten (you could run a 33-rd mag, as long as don't put more than 10 boolets in it)

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Can we also talk about derivatives in here?

I'll speak for myself to say "Show me your Jericho."

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Operating Rod posted:

The only handgun I have is a Ruger Mark III right now. I think the only centerfire rifles I have ammo for are a Kar98K and an M39, too.

Might have the money together for a CZ and some brass and bullets in a couple of months but right now I'm broke.

Sell me either your K98k or M39.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Whaaaaat link to those bullets please.

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=28

They are lead round-nosed.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Another factor that I've heard that deserves consideration is that every company's polygonal rifling is different. Glock's is different from HK's is different from IMI's is different from CZ's. Maybe. And don't forget that weird-rear end Metford rifling!

Here's a wikipedia link for even more speculation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling#Lead_bullets_and_polygonal_rifling

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

ShaneB posted:

It's a pre b. The lever is different and they have to mod the frame to make it fit. That's 45 dollars to send it back because you have to ship firearms priority overnight. Then 35 for the lever and 2 months estimated turn around time...

Well either you don't shoot it for two months and be out $80, or you never shoot it ever because it's not safe, or you shoot it even though it's unsafe and you're eventually out a $500 gun (or higher medical bill) when it fires out of battery or something weird and explodey.

$80 for peace of mind is an okay trade-off to me, anyway.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Frame or slide safety ';

I thought all CZ-75s had frame safeties? I know the Jericho often comes with a slide safety, but that's a derivative clone.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Quickshanks posted:

I don't have a CZ75 yet and a pre-B seems like the closest thing to a collectible CZ has made yet.

Well, that's only if you're not counting the Cold War Commemorative CZ 75.

(You should not count the Cold War Commemorative CZ 75 )

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Framptonlive posted:

Thinking about picking up a CZ 82(or 83) when I have the money. Any reason I shouldn't?

Not really.

I'd go for the 82 myself, but only because it's C&R and I can get it shipped to my house. At least the 83 gives you the option of shooting .380, though 9x18 is pretty comparable in price (and may even be cheaper a bit?).

Though when I shot one, the backstrap really dug into the webbing of my hand and rubbed it raw. Not sure why.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

McNally posted:

Because you're a girl's blouse.

I don't even understand what that means, but I'm guessing you're going for a tag against my masculinity or perhaps my sartorial choices

king of the bongo had the same issue. Maybe CZ-82s just hate Asians.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Alaan posted:

My dad told me about this weird one today. Apparently Colt was working on a CZ-75 derivative

Your dad is Angus Hobdell??

I think I need to have the CZ LE 9 now.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

I've had a Czech surplus CZ 82 for a few years. 9x18 is about the same price as .380, or even a little less. It's also in current production: you may not find it locally, but you'll be able to buy it in bulk online very easily.

Personally, I'd go with the 82. They're the same gun (but the 83 has a squared handguard), and pretty solid. $200 to $225 is pretty typical for price.

Also, despite being the same gun as the 83, the 82 is C&R eligible.

Sadly the 82 rubs me the wrong way, literally. For some reason the backstrap just exfoliates my hand.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Alaan posted:

Are there C&R 75s

no

Alaan posted:

is the 82 C&R just because the ATF said so and that's that.

yes

Longer story is that the very first production run of CZ-75s will be C&R-eligible in 2025 (when they are 50 years from date of manufacture). Somebody wrote the ATF saying that CZ-82 met certain criteria in its value as a curio or a relic to be classified as such a firearm. I can only speculate that it has something to do with being an issued small arm for the military and police of a nation that, officially, no longer exists.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Curator of the West Point Museum. One of the clauses in the section of USC that defines what qualifies a firearm as a C&R states that a gun can become a C&R if a curator of a "municipal, state, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms" finds that the gun is "a curio or relic of museum interest." Here's a link to the ATF letter from the technology branch.

So basically someone Cyrano needs to become a curator at a podunk municipal museum that exhibits a couple of firearms (or hell, just create your own museum with your own firearms) and start spamming the ATF with letters requesting various firearms to be put on the C&R list.

Holy poo poo, that category (b) is a hell of a loophole. Did Mr. Jensen give any other reasons than "It's in my museum and I curated it"?

e: hell of a loophole meaning you'd have to go through the whole process of being a curator and then getting the guns

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Seriously though I'm surprised that no one's tried using this for other firearms too. There has to be a pro-gun curator or two out there who could be convinced that certain <50 y.o. guns should be C&R.

Like vz.58s and their US-receivered clones!

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Bummey posted:

Speaking of vz 58s, where would be a good place to get one from? I'd want the weird red furniture, obviously.

J&G has some VZ-2008s for $500 in the awesome Slimjim stock you want.

EDIT! Czechpoint also has vz.58s without bayonet lug for about $800.

SadWhaleFamily fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 11, 2012

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Bummey posted:

What's the difference between the two? Why is Czechpoint's $300 more? Is it because J&G's are Century? I don't really know anything about all these importers and whatnot.

J&G, with 5 additional mags, is certainly looking like the way to go.

If you're getting vz.58 magazines, don't buy them from J&G. Get them from AIM Surplus for $12 a pop (and 4 mags gets you a mag pouch)

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've lowered the hammer on an empty chamber probably 100 times by now, and quite a few times while loaded at the range, and never lost control of the hammer.

Stand by for me to ND into my foot, having said all that.

All I can hope for you is that you never become complacent with lowering the hammer, thinking "Aw yeah I can do it, just like the other 900 times before" and then it slips because you somehow didn't have as much grip on it as you had before and didn't let go of the trigger in time or whatever.

The other option is to stop lowering the hammer if you're not gonna carry it, which you're never gonna do in CA anyway, and if you're lowering the hammer to decock it after a range day, why not just dry-fire it while pointing it definitively downrange into the berm?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Unskilled Labour posted:

I know that in IPSC production class, lowering a hammer on a loaded chamber is very common, as the first shot is usually double action with a chambered round.

I would watch someone run a course of IPSC fire with a vz.82. And laugh a bit.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Here's an Israeli-clone CZ with a frame safety:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=286781983

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

This owns so hard. Too bad the grips are garbage.

Whatchoo sayin' 'bout factory original IMI grips?

Yeah, the only thing they've really got going for them is that they're really slim. Fortunately there are many options to swap them out.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

ZebraBlade posted:

Its sort of his "thing". Hes the smarmy rear end in a top hat we need, not the smarmy rear end in a top hat we deserve.

Also, uuuuuuughhhh I want this CZ 85 transitional model so baaaaaaaad

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

DeathByDoubleDip posted:

Silly question, but what's the minimum I should be spending on an IDPA-ready holster for an SP01?

You should spend $65 plus shipping and a bit of a wait time (like five weeks?)

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Option #2: http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=53&osCsid=g8apa9iqg17j6vgo9mvftgse66

A little cheaper, and much faster turn-around. I like my compact one quite a bit, but if you don't want a paddle you will spend more than you would on the blade-tech.

Aw poo poo you can get that one in red. Scratch my recommendation.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

There is a $400 CZ 85 Combat in a shop near where I used to live. Now it's gonna cost me an interstate transfer if I were to get it.

It's a good thing I don't have any money at all right now for gun fun.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Ungh. What finish does it have?

Looks like the painted matte finish. Looks near to pristine, too, from the one picture they have of it.

e: ungh it's still got storage oil on it

SadWhaleFamily fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 16, 2012

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Somebody's selling 10 CZ 85 (not-Combat) pistols for $414 each shipped on gunbroker.

Used, decent shooters.

e: Comes with 1 mag without the two mag release notch cuts in the magazine body. Looks like you can't swap the mag release on this one for lefties for some reason.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

A dealer in the United States actually has a CZ 85 Combat in stock:

http://www.jgsales.com/cz-85-combat-semi-auto-pistol,-9mm,-new-p-58087.html

Oh J&G, someday I will have money to give you.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Gtab posted:

It's good that you specified "in the States" because I have like four

Canada why do you have the guns? The guns belong here!

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

9mm Browning's just .380 auto, right?

Yes.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Am I understanding correctly that the earliest CZ 85s did not have an integral firing pin safety (until the B designation), but they are also not exactly parts compatible with the more recent 85 Combat or SP-01?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

double post cross-post because eh

I did a thing tonight:

Reversing a Jericho magazine release is a bit of a pain in the dicks. Oh yes—there will be springs.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

iamthehans posted:

Hey Jericho Buddie. I'm having an issue with my rear sight walking any suggestions?

Had a similar problem with an old Argentine Hi Power. I drifted the sight out, took a center punch to the bottom of the dovetail and smacked 5 divots into it, then drifted the sight back in place. Zeroed it at the range and all was well, it never moved under fire again.

The above tip came originally from Miso Beno.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

I can finally join the real CZ crew.

Clicks Make Huge

The first thing I did was reverse the magazine release, which is a lot more of a pain in the rear end than the apparently simple instructions would suggest.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yay!

Where did you end up digging one up?

From Damascus Gun Shop, actually. How did you know about that shop? Because they are loving awesome. Thanks for letting me know that they exist!

Seriously, anyone who wants a new CZ in the US, check them out. They went to the warehouse to look at the gun itself to let me know if the magazine release was reversible, even though no one had ever asked them to do that before, and constantly kept me in the loop about where in the process my gun was. Also, free USPS Priority Mail shipping on all handguns, free Parcel Post shipping (meh) on long arms.

My new-in-badass-Uherskı-Brod-box 85 Combat was the lowest price I'd seen anywhere, including others' prices before shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Absolut_V posted:

I'll be honest. I tried to buy that out from under you but you bought while it was in my cart. Great pickup.

That's funny. I asked the shop about the mag release, and before they answered, it was marked as "out of stock" on the website, but then the guy at the shop emailed me back to say the order was in process but the customer might not be able to pay and that he'd check on the mag release. Then it reappeared in stock and I bought it immediately.

This is like the Jericho I got because the other buyer found out it wasn't on his state's approved handgun roster.