Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Mishaco posted:

This is my most recent Vz purchase:

I love the Vz.52, but the stock seems like it goes on forever doesn't it? The first time I held one it felt a bit weird, like shouldering a baseball bat. Maybe it's just me. Is yours in 7.62x39?

One conflicting thing I've always heard, is that while some say they were way overbuilt for the smaller cartridge, others claim that they weren't all that reliable; locking lug failures, etc. Which was it?

incredibull fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

gently caress I want one so bad

if it took AK mags it would be so bad

bad

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

I've recently become interested in the CZ-82/83. I really like everything I've read about them, the looks, the size, and the overall idea of the pistol.

I'm considering it as a possible CCW piece, so if this is a dumb idea feel free to admonish me and spell out why. From what I've read, there seem to be a lot of people saying that these are perfect for CCW (aside from weight), but then again there are some people that CCW Tokarevs and poo poo like that. I own a Tokarev and would never even try to do that.

JG Sales has some 82s in stock with new standard rifled barrels. My understanding of the CZ-82 was that the polygonal barrel was/is incredibly accurate. So, why would I want a new US standard barrel? I assume this was just done to be able to sell units with trashed original barrels.

The 83s that they have in stock have standard barrels as well. Was a polygonal barrel not available in .380?

Also, re: .380 vs. 9x18, is there really a compelling reason to choose either caliber? My only other pistol is the Tokarev, so sharing ammo with it is not a consideration. I guess it comes down to availability and diversity of loads for a particular caliber. I bet that 9x18 is going to be quite a bit less, even though its popularity seems to be on a constant increase. In the future, I see myself being more likely to own a classic Makarov than any other pistol chambered in .380, so it may make sense to consolidate ahead of time so that I can share between a CZ and a standard Mak.

I would like to have some other CZs in more common calibers some day, but for now I'm just looking to get in with a low-cost, reliable centerfire pistol that I can CCW, and it just so happens that I love Euro milsurp as well.

Tell me how I'm wrong, or how I'm heading in an unsafe direction.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

JG has the option of polygonal or standard barrels in 9x18 for the same price as AIM. I was just curious as to why they would offer a standard rifled barrel at all.

What's so bad about the internals? I guess I'll have to look up a schematic. I do like to fully strip pistols when cleaning most of the time.

I'm not planning on carrying CCW every day. I just don't live where that sort of thing is needed. It's more for vehicle carry and occasional CCW, and I'd like something slimmer/smaller than my Tokarev for hiking/camping duty. My Sig Mosquito is also not imparting a sense of confidence now that some of the places I like to camp have confirmed wolf sightings - but uhh that's another topic.

I really like CZ pistols a lot, but I'm just not to the point where I want a full-size modern pistol. When I do, I'll probably be looking at a CZ75.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 8, 2012

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

That's what it looks like, so AIM has the better deal. The importer mark is pretty crappy, but I don't really care that much. They usually look a lot worse in photos than in person.

Unexpected bonus: my wife wants one too! JG offers a discount with 2+, but AIM doesn't appear to. May be worth a call in to them to see if they'd match the deal.

Well, I'm still going to keep doing my research, but it looks like a couple CZ-82s are in my future.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

I ordered two CZ-82s today - one for my wife & I. Hand-pick from AIM, includes extra mag & holster for each. She's super excited to get her first pistol. Thanks for input on my earlier post.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 13, 2012

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

ZebraBlade posted:

Does anyone make a higher capacity mag for the CZ 527 in 7.62x39? I am so close to picking one up and the only thing I would really like is a higher capacity. I guess the ruger scout rifle would fit what I am looking for also, but I really want the CZ craftsmanship and non extended eye relief scope.

If you are crafty I imagine you could make something work with single-stack 7.62x39 10-rd AK magazines. The feed lip area will probably have to be modified, latching tabs removed, and CZ-compatible latching tabs/nubs added somehow. The CZ mag doesn't look too complicated. If you have some time and a welder, I bet you could mod up a few single-stacks easily.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Uncle Caveman posted:

I'd like to believe this could be done but given how overbuilt AK mags are and how compact the CZ mag is, it wouldn't be feasible without some serious modification to the bottom metal.

Although you could get a spare for $65 so it *may* be worth attempting for someone with equal levels of skill and recklessness (i.e. Gwamp). A more elegant solution would be to cut the top from one mag and the bottom from another and weld them together.

In the end, however, you'd be putting forth a lot of effort (and cash) for the tenuous benefit of five additional rounds. Buying a few spare CZ mags would be far less hassle in the long run.

You're probably right. I've never seen a CZ 527 mag other than GIS, so if you say it's compact I'll take your word for it. It would require a poo poo ton of grinding around the feed lips/walls no matter what, since as you mentioned this area of the AK mag is seriously overbuilt.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Got my two CZ-82s from AIM today. They're awesome! I paid for the hand-pick option, and apparently this gets you police surplus vs. military surplus. The photo on their site showed a military holster, but mine came with swiveling police holsters (one of which has what appears to be the officer's name on a nametag), two mags each, lanyards and cleaning rod.

Pistols look unused, and are only a couple thousand serials apart. Will post some pics after I get back from a work trip and have a chance to clean them up and shoot.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

- 7.62x39 can still be had for relatively cheap, allowing lots of practice & extended range sessions. Some milsurp 7.62x39 is excellent quality. Good hand loads can be worked up cheap.
- Some of us have AKs/SKSes and huge stashes of ammo for them already.
- Although 7.62x39 is an intermediate cartridge, it still has enough kick to make the experience physically enjoyable.
- Decent accuracy out to 200-300yd when fired from a well-made bolt action such as the 527, even with cheap Russian commercial loads.
- It's legal for big game hunting in every US state (AFAIK), and 7.62x39 is an excellent brush/mid-range game cartridge.

It really is a fun cartridge to shoot, so long as your expectations about it are realistic. It's not going to compare with a .308, 30-06, etc. But it is a ton of fun, low-cost, and still usable for things other than plinking.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

IuniusBrutus posted:

Does anyone actually reload 7.62x39 though?

I haven't seen much of it here, but on some other forums I'm on, handloading 7.62x39 is pretty common. Gruff old SKS collectors seem to be into it the most.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

dooble CZ-82s

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

I shot both of my CZ-82s today. They were awesome and chewed through 150rds of Tulammo between the two of them. My groups were pretty consistent, but a little to the left, with one moreso than the other. Since the sights on these are staked in place from the factory, what's the likelihood that the rear sights actually need to be adjusted? I'm not a heavy pistol shooter so I'm fully open to the possibility that I'm just screwing it up all on my own. However I usually shoot dead on with my Mosquito and Tokarev.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Well, eventually...

I'll try sandbagging them next time and see what happens.

9x18 is definitely snappy in the CZ-82.

edit: I just took a closer look at the one that was shooting further to the left, and the sight is already drifted too far to the left before it was staked. So I'm sure my method is suspect, but at least one of them is off center in the wrong direction.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 27, 2012

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

That's great to know for all of those times that I use my pistols as hammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Pham Nuwen posted:

Where do you guys go for cheap 9x18mm ammo for the CZ-82? I bought 500 rounds of FMJ Silver Bear from J&G when I got the gun, I think it was about $12 per 50, but I'm wondering if there's another site with better prices.

I have been buying from AIM surplus lately. Novilibirsk FMJ/ball for $9.95/50 and Silver Bear JHP for $11.50/50. I have two CZ-82s and they both eat this poo poo all up.