Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

SadWhaleFamily posted:

I'm going to guess that it won't really function easily as a quick-swap. The B indicates that the model has a firing pin block safety in it. A Pre-B CZ 75 wouldn't have the proper parts in the frame, namely the fire control group, to deactivate the firing pin block.

You would have to replace the FCG in the Pre-B frame to get a 75B slide to function in said frame. And I'm not sure if that's even possible.

CZ Custom would know more. They might even say I'm wrong.

If you want to keep the firing pin block, you'll need to put a B sear, firing pin block lever, and firing pin block lever spring. The only part of the sear you'll probably have to fit (assuming you don't want to do a trigger job" is the leg that interacts with the safety. Alternatively you can just remove the firing pin block stop and spring and it should work on the Pre-B frame. I don't think the difference in the rails will stop you from mating the two, but I can't be certain. Hope that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Help me spend my money TFR!

I want need a full-size 9mm pistol. It's mostly between the various CZ types, but I just can't make up my drat mind!

As such, anyone who has shot any of these and can offer their input, please speak up!

Option 1: CZ85 Combat.
+ No firing pin block, so smoother trigger, right?
+ Better sights
+ Drop-free magazine well
- I have heard mixed reports on how much the FPB actually matters.
- More expensive
- Ambi-slide release and safety will just make it more difficult to find holsters
- Have heard reports of slide stop breakages on 85s

Option 2: CZ75B SAO
+ Single action triggers on these are supposedly quite nice
+ Drop-free magazine well
+ Not much more expensive than a standard 75, and I save money on not having to do a SAO conversion later
- Bumps me to ESP only for IDPA

Option 3: CZ75B
+ Cheapest option; used ones pop up frequently, too.
+ Easiest to located holsters and gear for.
- Requires another $80 if I decide I want an SAO gun.

Option 4: CZ75B Compact (steel frame)
+ Technically a compact, but steel frame to help it shoot a little nicer than my PCR
+ I can use all of the same magazines, holsters, and gear as my carry weapon
+ Same controls (essentially) and ergonomics as my carry weapon
- The compact grip fits my hand perfectly, but still a shorter barrel and lower weight, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Option 5: Hi-Power or clone
+ Trigger beats snot out of CZ trigger
+ Easier and cheaper to do trigger job on, further increasing awesome level
- Either spend $$$$ for a modern one, or buy an older one and have the slide machined for novaks
- Grip isn't quite as comfortable
- ESP only

Thoughts, TFR? Any of the above will get a trigger job and new sights, likely. The CZ also has the advantage of having great (if expensive) .22 kits available, while the Hi-Power has dubious looking Ceiner kits. Also, I know SP01 Shadows rock so hard, but I'll go way over $1000 on one of those, and that's just too much for me - I'll be able to keep my initial purchase under $600 this way, and can break it in a bit, before getting the trigger worked on.

I vote SAO, I converted my 75B to SAO, installed a comp hammer, and yoinked the FPS. The trigger is ridiculously nice now, like 1911 nice. Unfortunately, I think you have to leave the FPS in for IDPA since it came with one. As far as the FPS is concerned, it really only makes sense to pull it if you have a trigger with pretravel adjustment because then you can cut it down to pretty much nothing and have a really short reset. I think the SAO also has the ledge safety and beavertail as well.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Did you do the trigger and hammer yourself? How difficult was it? If I could do either or both on my own, that would save me a couple of bucks and make my choice easier.

Ive pretty much eliminated the 85 as an option - the lack of a FPB isn't worth $125 to me, unless someone chimes in otherwise. I do have another option though, I think: supposedly, late model pre-B have near total parts compatibility with B models. If so, i can buy a non-FSB gun on the cheap, and yet not have to worry about future parts availability problems or finding magazines for cheap.

The hammer was drop in for me, and not too difficult to swap. I did have to buy a new hammer strut (and if you don't go SAO you might want to pick up the disconnector as well) because they staked the poo poo out of pins holding the three parts together so it was easier just to buy new ones for a couple bucks. The only hard part about swapping the trigger was trying to get the new pin in and keep the trigger properly positioned while fighting the trigger return spring, I was able to finagle it after a while but it was frustrating for a bit there. Definitely use some sort of slave pin to get it all lined up as that makes it easier. If you decided to stay DA/SA I would still recommend the comp hammer because it is a pretty noticeable improvement over the stock hammer.

If you decide to go the pre-b route, you can still buy pre-b sears and such from CZ and a lot of the other parts will work in both so keeping one running wouldn't be too difficult and you will have an awesome rounded trigger guard. I actually picked up a pre-b sear to replace my old one in order to run the gun w/out the FPB (you can also modify the spacer that actuates the FPB but I like to keep stock parts in original condition in case I want to go back to them in the future).

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Ok, so the local store has a CZ75B in the satin nickle with three magazines in excellent condition for $425. It's on consignment too, so I think I get away with no sales tax...pull the trigger on it or no?

If you want one, I say go for it.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Only thing that concerns me is that it comes with 2 10 rounds ban mags, which means its likely at least 6 or 7 years old, and thus out of warranty.

This normally wouldn't bother me, but since I'd honestly rather have the black than nickle finish, even after transfer fees, I can get a new 75 for only 70 bucks more.

Not that it matters anymore, but I picked up mine with ban mags and it was 2010 production so that may not mean anything. Congrats on the nice new pistola.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

GladRagKraken posted:

Thanks, kuffs. Fortunately I've got my hands on the original spring, I'm just being a big baby about taking the thing all the way apart. I've got visions of myself with a bag of cz spending weeks to try and put it back together. I'll probably try and swap that out this weekend. If I'm really on top of it, I'll post pictures. If I'm really not on top of it, I'll post pictures and ask for help.

Don't sweat it, swapping out the mainspring is fairly easy and you don't need to take it down very far to do so. There are a few guides online that should point you in the right direction.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

devmd01 posted:

No, only difference in the grip between the 75B and SP01 is the extended beavertail.

Also the slide profile doesn't narrow towards the muzzle, full lengthy rails/dustcover, a rail on the dustcover, larger mag release, longer slide stop, and checkering. I think that is everything, the thickest part shouldn't be any greater than on a normal cz-75b.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

I'm not really sure the beavertail is necessary. My P-01 has the beavertail but the hammer only comes back about 60 degrees or so... I think it'd be pretty hard to pinch your webbing in it.

Yeah, unless you have your hands on top of the frame there is no way you could get hammer bite unless your hands were ridiculously fat. Other than the extra weight up front, the only thing that seems like a really nice improvement over the 75b is the extended mag release which you can also get on the SA (it also has the larger safety). I think the only other difference is the checkering, but with the size of the grip and weight of the gun, as long as you have decent grip panels I don't see grip being an issue. You could always get it checkered or put grip tape on it if you feel the need.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Goldfinger posted:

I think I'm trading my P-01 + some cash for a new SP-01 (if you are buying a gun, always get the one you really want instead of settling). Has anyone converted an SP-01 to SAO and, if so, how do you like the result? Does the tactical sport straight trigger feel as good as it looks?

I can speak to the SAO conversion, though I did it to a 75b. If you like SA triggers then I would definitely go for it, I have been very pleased with the results. I also removed the Firing Pin Block (to further reduce pre-travel) and put in a Comp Hammer for additional awesomeness. I don't have a way to measure the trigger but it is about the same as my Dan Wesson with less pre-travel, so probably about 3.5 Lbs.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone heard handled both a CZ75 SA trigger and a SA/DA trigger?

How does the SA trigger feel compared to the SA mode of the SA/DA setup, especially with regards to take up?

I can't speak to the factory SAO trigger, but with the adjustable SAO trigger you can cut down on pre and over-travel compared to the stock SA mode. If you really want to improve it, get a model w/out a firing pin block or remove it and you can cut the pre-travel down to 1911 levels. Toss in the competition hammer and you will get a crisper and lighter break. So, bottom line is probably not a huge difference unless the trigger is adjustable and you are willing to do a couple other things.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

incredibull posted:

I shot both of my CZ-82s today. They were awesome and chewed through 150rds of Tulammo between the two of them. My groups were pretty consistent, but a little to the left, with one moreso than the other. Since the sights on these are staked in place from the factory, what's the likelihood that the rear sights actually need to be adjusted? I'm not a heavy pistol shooter so I'm fully open to the possibility that I'm just screwing it up all on my own. However I usually shoot dead on with my Mosquito and Tokarev.

It is possible they came out of the factory that way. My CZ-75 came from the factory shooting slightly left. The zero card that came with it appears to show that they shot it and the sights were way off, they adjusted it and they were still a bit left but I guess they only do 5 shots to zero and it was within spec so they sent it out that way. Could be the same story with yours, may just be you though.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yeah.

It's a carry gun, and I have some issues with cocked and locked carry still, so in that sense it's reassuring. But if I had known it would require that much loving trigger motion to activate and reset, I would have never ordered the SAO trigger. When I get a non-FPB CZ, I'll try again, but until then...

You'll enjoy it once you get it into a cz w/o FPB, as good or better than my Dan Wesson trigger.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Yudo posted:

I have used Mec-Gar mags tons and love them, but never for the CZ-75. In the spirit of due diligence: anyone have problems with them? They hold an extra round over factory but have a plastic bottom.

I have some of the 17 round mec-gars with plastic basepad and the 19 round ones which are basically the same thing with a +2 extension and have had zero issues with either one, though they can be a bit of a pain to load the last couple rounds but I am kind of a bitch about loading pistol mags.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Basticle posted:

stupid question, but if they replace the whole gun then it has to go to a FFL right?

I think if they destroy the old one and send you a new one of the same model with the same serial they don't have to go through an FFL. I've heard of Glock doing that with frames.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

It looks like the Omega system takes some of the futzing around out of tuning versus the 75. CGW's P07/09 kit seems to have all the important bits. If that kit is Production legal, I do not know.

So you'd buy that, a few punches, maybe a hammer, and install it yourself.

I did the SRT and billet hammer for my P07 and it took the trigger from pretty decent to great. That's basically what the kit is, but when I bought the two separately it was $20 cheaper at the time.

It's not as finicky to install as a non-omega upgrade, did it in about an hour with the help of YouTube. A vise helps alot, as well as some needle nose pliers, a hammer, and a punch.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Crosspost from the carry thread.

I'm looking to pick up a JMCK holster for my P07 and I'm torn as to whether I should go with a P09 (I like the extra length) AIWB wing claw and neoprene wedge like I have for other guns or if I should get a light-bearing version of the same holster so that I can start carrying with a light. For those of you who have carried AIWB with a light, is it comfortable or should I not bother?

The light I have on hand that he can make a holster for is a TLR-1. If I do go for a light-bearing holster, would it be worth getting one of the smaller lights he supports (Surefire XC1 or Inforce APL) or is it workable with the TLR-1?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

What is the hotness in CZ Scorpion upgrades right now? I just picked up a grey pistol that I'm going to SBR and I'm already definitely going to replace the safety. I didn't think that safety was going to be as bad as everyone said it was, but that thing is annoying. For that I was looking to replace the right side safety with one of the HBI AK safeties and leave the stock lever on the left side. I'm also thinking about a new trigger since the stock one is OK, but pretty underwhelming. Anything else I should look into?

Unrelated, does anyone know of a source that has reasonably priced P09 or P-10F magazines? I'd like to pick up a couple of 19 and 21 round mags for my P-07 and I thought I'd be able to save money by going for P-10F mags instead of P-09 mags like I did with P-10C mag, but the P-10F mags don't seem to be any cheaper. Hopefully the P-10 picks up enough that Mec-Gar will start making mags for it.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Sweet, thanks for the tips all. Time to start dumping money into this gun.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Micro scorpions are pretty cool, but I've already got something smaller to scratch that PDW itch so I want to keep this one SMG-sized.

I bought the grey scorpion so I'm trying to keep as much of the furniture grey for aesthetic reasons.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Quickshanks posted:

Annnnd I just noticed they are also selling $300 Daewoos and have free shipping.

If those are rust blued I am struggling with an extreme compulsion to acquire one plus a beater Daewoo.

I want a Daewoo for no other reason than that they are like the only knock off of the incredibly under knockoffed S&W 3rd gen with a way improved grip frame and with one of the only actual unique trigger systems I don't own an example of.

Doooo it. I have a DP-51 and 51C and they are much better shooters than they have any right to be, I like them better than the S&Ws they copied. Now that Lionheart is around, parts and mags are available. I'd actually be fine carrying one of them if it weren't for the lack of holsters and the low mag capacity for the size.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Khyber pass CZ-75?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

NickBlasta posted:

Someone cut down a first model to compact size as far as I can tell. I guess it might be a custom shop one-off, they do that sometimes.

Huh, didn't realize that the slide serrations were so rough on the first models. Thanks, I hate it.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Finally got my 75c back from CGW.

Defensive carry package with a hair under 4# SA trigger
Replaced worn internal parts
New suppressor height night sights.

Nice, the rear sight looks pretty dang ridiculous, but form over function. What can you running on that thing?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Sarrisan posted:

I'm gonna be picking up a P-01 soon, with the intention of using it to get my CCW after/if this covid mess is over. With that in mind, anyone have recommendations for a good AIWB holster that accepts a pistol with a TLR7 or other light? I've been googling around but its a mess.

I'm a big fan of JM custom kydex for AIWB holsters, they only offer a lightbearing holster for the P-01 with the XC-1 it looks like, but he may take a request for a TLR-7.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

Does anyone here have a CZ 75 SA? They're out of production now but there are a few floating around for sale, and I'm seriously thinking that may be the right way to go if I want to do target shooting (either with the regular 9mm slide or the Kadet) given that I don't plan to carry. I'd be eager to hear if you have any recommendations for or against getting one.

I concur with what ronaldreagan said, I wouldn't bother with the SA especially since you may end up paying a premium. You'll end up with a better trigger if you do the SAO conversion on a 75 yourself and upgrade the hammer and some other parts as well. I went that route some years ago and like it much better than the factory SA I handled. Just make sure you don't buy an Omega version, as apparently that is nearly impossible to convert to SAO. Another thing to consider when buying a 75 for this conversion is if you want to spring for one of the frames with a higher/longer beavertail than the standard 75.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Is all that extra weight in the grips?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

NickBlasta posted:

So far, yes. They are really great grips, I recommend them.

Cool, what are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Rad, I wonder how they'll look once they start tarnishing. Probably too thick for my hands though, the stock grips are just about perfect for me.