Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Mishaco posted:

The Vz.52 pistol on the other hand , people debate on that one all the time if its an overbuilt tank, or just barely strong enough for the 7.62x25 Tokarev round.
I was under the impression it is an overbuilt tank until the rollers get worn out. Is that not accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Is it just me, or does CZ not make any left-handed 550s except for that .375H&H?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I still have not had a chance to fire one of these either abroad or at home, but they feel really cool and sleek, and AKish but with the smug assurance of having a better design that nobody else has heard of.

Gun-hipsterism is a terrible thing.

Seriously, though. The worst thing about my desire for a VZ-58 is that someone (PLR?) linked a Czech website with a bunch of VZ accessories. They were selling 10-packs of 30 round magazines for something like $16 USD. That's $1.60 per magazine. If only magazines weren't one of those things you have to be an FFL and do paperwork to import. Pretty loving huge improvement over the $10-$15 for one magazine you see around here.

edit: And they had 5-round magazines, so I could take it hunting.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Anyone heard anything about the 712? It seems like a solid semi-auto, especially for the price. Seems like aftermarket is limited, though. Is that accurate?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Are there no replacement parts for pre-b CZs? It seems like there would be a market for that, since having a gun modified is kind of a distasteful option to some people.

edit: Numrich has 85 slide stops, but they don't seem to distinguish between b and pre-b, so odds are it is the wrong kind.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 3, 2011

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I don't know about availability, but I know that CZ used to make a CZ75 machine pistol that used 25 round magazines. If the magazines exist in the US, they should work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Is the CZ-85 combat the only model to have an ambi slide stop? Do they make any SAO ambi 75/85/SP-01s out of the factory, or would I have to get that done aftermarket/go with the DA/SA?

edit: I'm dumb, I missed that the 75SA has an ambidextrous safety.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 29, 2012

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I thought the P-01 had a decocker? Is there a version that has an ambi safety instead?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Step 4.5 get killed by a poisonous animal on the way to pick up your gun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Which CZs come with night sights/where is a good place to buy night sights?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

R-Type posted:

Would you mind if I whored my EAA Witness 10mm in a CZ thread?

I'd mind less if it was a steel one instead of that loving ugly polymer poo poo. I mean, polymer doesn't have to look ugly. It is entirely Tanfoglio's fault.

I seriously want one of the steel 10mms in wonderfinish.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

God, my sigma keeps jamming, and people at the range keep trying to sell me meth. Why is S&W so awful?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Wait, did they get import banned or something? I really want one, too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

My uncle was right about Sasquatch sightings in Colorado. Did you shave to hide from the hunters?

(Are Dees is huge jokes played out yet? Because goddamn that thing looks tiny in his hand.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

~Coxy posted:

Thanks, now I know what to buy my kid when she's 12.

A Buckmark lite?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I read something about P07s having some sort of defect at some point with their half-cock, but I can't find it again. It said that CGW tested the flaw, whatever it was. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Right now I'm trying to pick between a P07 and a PX4 compact. The P07 is cheaper, but the PX4 comes with three magazines rather than two and is smaller and more rounded, so it seems like it would carry better. The PX4 also seems to have a better trigger unless I go down the CGW rabbit hole.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

If the online dealer dicks me around when I call about the PPQ I ordered two weeks ago I think I'm going to just go for the PX4 I found on Armslist. $400 with 3 magazines in 9mm. A few weeks ago Grandpa's Pawn and Gun had a full-sized in stock that I got to handle. The trigger on it is fantastic. Better DA than anything else I tried in the price range, great SA. Heavier DA than a Glock or whatever, but smooth. Smooth slide release and safety/decocker. Everything ambidextrous except for the mag release, which is reversible. Slide release is nice and big, easy to hit with the thumb.

Only thing is I would get the decocker-only levers, since a giant slide-mounted safety/decocker pretty much guarantees you will eventually hit it accidentally. There's a lot of Beretta-made upgrades out there, and Langton Tactical makes a trigger job in a bag and will even do custom work if you want.

Butch and Poopgiggle love theirs, Poopgiggle did a thread on his Compact Carry model which has a lot of the modifications preinstalled.

If I buy it I'll let you take me to Trigger Time and try it out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

TheNothingNew posted:

Working on the volume, but I'm worried that shooting a lot with poor form will just reinforce bad habits.

Dryfire drills are a good idea, thanks.

Ben Stoeger has a dryfire drills book that is supposed to be good. Iíve just started on it. The first two things in the book are slowly pulling the trigger without disturbing sight alignment (donít aim at anything, just focus on the sights) and then the same thing but quickly. Sounds obvious, but I had no idea how much I was messing up when live firing because the sight alignment was only getting disturbed a small fraction of a second before the gun went off and disturbed the alignment a whole hell of a lot more.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

If I wanted to stick a foot down the rabbit hole with CGW parts on a P-07, where would you start to smooth out the trigger and maybe lighten the DA? It seems like there's a lot more to it than just new hammer spring like people always say on the PX4 I'm cross-shopping with.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Is that basic work or is that getting into the all decked out realm? I see it needs a new hammer spring still. Thatís like the cost of a LTT trigger job in a bag, stealth lever set, and a spare magazine or a couple boxes of ammo if youíre cross-shopping a PX4.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Well I mean the trigger job in a bag is a tuned Beretta competition trigger group, used for competition guns, I feel like thatís the closest comparison there is

Thereís a P07 with two magazines, two holsters (which I canít use but could sell), and night sights for $400, and another without holster or night sights but with three magazines for $375. The one for $400 seems like a better deal.

Googling around some more, what about the answer from this thread? https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/260511-p07-trigger-job/ Those parts in the image currently come out to $106, and an 8.5/2.5 smooth pull is pretty drat good. If I don't feel confident in doing some of the work myself there's apparently a trades school in North Denver that does cheap smithing and has the teachers making sure students don't gently caress up.

I generally respect the gunsmithing Q and A more from Brian Enos than your random forums since it's a competitive shooting forum rather than some shitpost center like Arfcom/Glocktalk.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 15, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Throwing myself on Cyrano's mercy with a doublepost:

How do the Omega P-01s compare to the P-07s? Is it pretty much the same thing with a different shape and metal frame? I found a good deal on one that already has a bunch of Cajun parts in it.

Also, sorry, I just read my last post and realized I sounded like a dick.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Maybe I just need o try one thatís been broken in or has been polished up, but the P-07 and P-09 triggers I tried seemed really gritty and heavy, Iím kind of spoiled by the trigger on the PPQ Iím trying to sell.

Also this one Iím looking at comes with the pro kit already installed, which is part of why I found it. I do like the slightly smaller dimensions of the P-01, 5Ē is perfect usually for getting all of my fingers on the gun with no wasted space.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Thanks. Would they have it in their store area to fondle or is it a rental? Do they have a store area? I always forget about them, it seems like it's one tiny pawn shop, Grandpa's Pawn and Gun, and Bison arms that sell pistols around here. Pretty limited selection compared to Fort Collins. And Bison Arms has some pretty unpleasant staff so I just plain don't go there.

I've got big hands so I think the stock grips and trigger reach should work for me. Even with the largest backstrap on my PPQ I have to consciously make sure to pull my trigger finger back a bit so I'm not snatching it with my knuckle.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

High for your standard gun shop that doesn't get as good deals from distributors or even high for that? If so, that might be the best place to sell my PPQ if Armslist doesn't pan out. I'll probably shop it around between that one pawn shop, Grandpa's, and there. Plus up in Fort Collins if I end up that way any time soon.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Yeah, my impression is that shops will generally take anything on consignment if price isn't an issue, since they don't actually have any money in it.

Shame it's so far out of the way, I always forget how far away the interstate is from Longmont since I'm used to Fort Collins, where it's right on the edge of town. Not 10 minutes on the highway away from the east end of town.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

If I can scrape some money together Iím buying a cheap cajunized P-07 on consignment, wish me luck. Duty so no interchangeable backstraps and itís got a dumb extended but not threaded barrel, but under $500 for the pro package and night sights. Just need to either get rid of my guitar stuff or my PPQ.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 18, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

So this dude on Gunbroker has a bunch of (mostly beat to poo poo) surplus CZs, including some pre-b models. Someone please buy the CZ-85 before I do something stupid and buy a mostly bare metal full sized service pistol with fixed sights rather than something actually decent for carry.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=4167750

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Has anyone heard of factory ported Witness Compacts? I see one in 9mm on Armslist that claims to have a factory ported barrel, but Iíve never heard of that.

Also, does anyone make tritium sights for Witnesses? I can only find fiber optics.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I ordered an old CZ-85, is there anything to what I've read about dry firing on those things being potentially harmful? I know modern guns are made to be dry fire safe, but I'm not sure about older revisions.

Related, is it safe to use a spent cartridge as a snap cap or can the used primer still cause some level of bang? I've never tried.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

To clarify, the 85b has a firing pin retaining pin, and so does the SP01, but the old 85s and 85 combat do not? Is the retaining pin part of the FPB then?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Okay, I thought that might be the pin you were talking about but I'd never heard it named. Yep, this one is a transitional (albeit with the old sights, which sucks) so no FPB. The finish is mostly gone, so if duracoat clear will stick on there to keep it rust-free I might rat-rod it with some CGW parts down the line and just keep running it until my ratty steel DA from before the dissolution of Czechoslovakia is outshooting Gucci Glocks.

Having a proper DA pistol will be nice for dry firing too, I can give my trigger finger a workout by just dry firing one-handed repeatedly until it's ready to fall off without having to rack the slide between shots. I know that shouldn't be an obstacle, but it's kind of annoying having to alternate between the two constantly when I'm watching TV or something.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 23, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Yep, that's what I'm hoping.

I scoured my range bag and couldn't find a spent 9mm case (just a couple dozen .22) so I'm going to ask my range buddy if he's got one in his range bag. Otherwise I'll just grab some snap caps from the store.

Are .22 spent cases safe as well, or does the rimfire primer not completely combust as reliably? I know I can just pick up some drywall plastic whatsits for .22 as well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Sadly all of the brass I could find was .22 or .45 from when it used to be my dad's range bag. Maybe there's one in there somewhere, but I looked through the bag and my ammo can.

The gun probably isn't coming in until Wednesday or Thursday anyway because of Christmas so I have time.

I got to handle a 75 in the shop yesterday and goddamn that thing feels nice in the hands. Just add those right-side controls and the spur hammer and I'm in heaven.

CDI is back in business under a different name, which is where I got it. They've got a bunch of beater 75s for $350 after CC fees and maybe $370 after CC fees for ones in better condition. I was super excited to see all of that, they've got some Jerichos and a few hi powers and Berettas as well.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=4167750

E: Has anyone tuned up a pre-B before? I'm thinking that just the Ultra-Lite kit with 13 pound hammer spring and reduced power trigger return spring should smooth up the trigger and reduce it to about 6-7 pounds DA and 3 pounds SA while still popping hard primers? I'd rather not get a new hammer if possible because the spur hammer looks so cool and all the new hammers are rings. An adjustable overtravel trigger might be nice eventually but I don't think my shooting is currently good enough to warrant it versus how much ammo I could get with another $40-50, and I would have to look up what a new trigger does to eligibility for the less modified categories of shooting sports.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 23, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Yeah, I did see that. I do need to get a dremel still to do a lot of that polishing, otherwise it's hand-polishing with sandpaper and that probably won't turn out as well. I could go over to my mechanically-inclined friend's as well and bring a six pack, but I should probably get a dremel and a proper punch set anyway just for the future.

For now this is my one and only centerfire pistol so it's on nightstand (actually safe) duty until I scrape up enough money for a second pistol that will probably do both carry and nightstand duty. Because of that I'd rather not get down to super low competition weights on it yet anyway, so I have time to consider whether I really want to do the hammer. It's also a not-insignificant chunk of change, and 1k rounds of Wolf / Federal on rebate would probably do a lot more for me than a new hammer and sear. $50 of ammo would probably do me more good than new springs and a firing pin too, but at least in that case I have the excuse that the other springs are probably from 25+ years ago and will need replacing anyway.

That kit has both the 13 and 11.5 pound springs, so if I want I can drop in the 11.5 pound as well, although I think at first I might just see what the 13 pound is like once it breaks in. I dry-fired a 75B at a shop yesterday and that DA pull was not fun. Better than my crappy old Taurus revolver, but I was still snatching it hard left (left-handed) when staging it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Hennig posted:

Let me know if this gets annoying - Iíve just coated a lot of Shadow 2s lately.

Battleworn Black/white. Very cool for something different.

I no the answer is probably no, and he does more Tanfo work anyway, but because of the name I have to ask. Youíre not Henning Wallgren are you?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Turns out my CZ which I just picked up was made in Ď91. Is that one of the transitional years for 85s or is that solidly pre-b?

It also has what looks like an overtravel stop on the back of the trigger but no adjustment screw. Is that normal? By that I mean a little cylindrical bump on the back of the trigger.

The SA trigger is surprisingly nice. Not a distinct wall but extremely smooth all the way through. I think I might need to give it a cleaning, though. The safety and mag release are a bit stiff. Nice shiny bore on the numbers matching barrel though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Have you tried making one shiny enough to reproduce a metal-plating finish? I'm interested because if I ever got drunk enough I might think it was fun to have mine hard-chromed, make the controls gold, and get some blinged-out grips for it. The coatings you do would probably be signficiantly cheaper than the chroming alone, but I've never been able to tell quite how shiny coatings are in real light.

Something like this, although I'm sure you can't get it quite that shiny since I think this is silver-plated.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Does this look like the right screw for the mag release / trigger spring? It seems like it doesn't fit right. The muzzle end of the screw is much lower than the rear end of the screw. I can't tell if it's causing any problems, but it feels like an impatient armorer's "close enough" replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Thanks. Bugs the hell out of me that a screw isn't supposed to fit flush, but I guess it's good at least.