Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I bought some pre-B CZ-75s late last year for my store. I won't lie, it was hard not to keep one for myself. At least 1 of them found a home witha goon.

I bought a Vz.52 pistol back in 2001 when they were dirt cheap and there wasn't really any surplus ammo floating around for them.
I bought a Vz.82 pistol in 2005 as soon as they started importing them. I had wanted one for a long time at that point. I still have both of these pistols by the way.

I bought one of the very first SA VZ.58 Sporters to be imported in spring of 2007. Yes i had to convert it and back then it was pretty unchartted waters, but gently caress it was a true Vz.58 and i didn't care. I still have it also.

I bought a SA Vz.61 Scorpion pistol some time later because....come on, its a Klobb!

This is my most recent Vz purchase:

What is amazing about the CZ brand, aside from their outstanding and unique designs, is the fact they have managed to gain a great deal of respect and noteriety in the US market. A market traditionally dominated by USA made firearms because of the "Made in America, gently caress yeah' mindset among many consumers.

Czech On....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Mine is in 7.62x39 (Vz.52/57 dated 1957).

I have never heard them described as weak, with lugs shearing off.

The original Vz.52 in 7.62x45 was known for being highly reliable, more accurate than an SKS, and overall a high quality build. its biggest weaknesses were a complicated takedown method (for a GI military gun) and weight.

The Vz.52/57 was a transitional model and never was intended to be in front line service for long.Because the platform was redesigned to fire the shorter 7.62x39 catridge, some claim it wasn't as reliable as the original. On the other hand, the 52/57 had a chromelined chamber and bore so that's something.

Even the beat-up Century imports from 10-15 years ago came in with decent bolts/receivers. The bores and stocks were the bad parts. They still shot though, if not as accurate as they once might have.

The Vz.52 pistol on the other hand , people debate on that one all the time if its an overbuilt tank, or just barely strong enough for the 7.62x25 Tokarev round.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Speaking of the Scorpion Evo-3, our shooting review is on youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_jCWEiYycM

The video pretty much says it all, and both of us really liked the firearm.

Positives:
+ well constructed and feels durable
+ Plenty accurate for an 8" barrel pistol
+ Seems to eat any 9mm Para/NATO you throw at it
+ Looks good
+ Good ergonomics overall
+ Threaded barrel with removable muzzle brake
+ Large and comfortable grip, which is adjustable to an extent
+ Easy to swap the rear block out for something else
+ Easy to field strip
+ Quadrail as standard
+ Iron sights and handstop as standard and come already mounted on the rails
+ Good price point
+ Comes with 2 high cap mags, sight tool, cleaning rope, and printed manual

Negatives:
- Takes proprietary mags which are kind of difficult to get right now (but at least they are very inexpensive)
- ambidextrous safety can dig into your trigger finger if you hold too high on the grip
- Not really a negative but the trigger is just average
- Factory folding stock isn't available yet as an SBR option

As to pricing, There have been several on GB in the $800-$825 price range, so you might look on there. There was even one Saturday with a buy-now of $800 and no CC fees, but it did sell quick.

After handling this thing and seeing how reliable it was, I am more excited about the CZ805 'Bren' too.

Great job CZ-USA!

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

It will have the modular magwell, so if you get the Czech pattern one and mags, it can take standard Bren mags.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Overseas Gunbroker sellers to the rescue!

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

*shrug* mine works fine.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I have customers who own both, and they all seem to enjoy theirs a good bit.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

In sort-of CZ news, CzechPoint announced they had a batch of Vz.61 Scorpions come in chambered for .380 today.

Cooler than .32; not as cool as 9mm Makarov.

Still, nice to see the Vz.61 in a more effective caliber.

Pistol comes with 2 20 rd mags, cleaning kit, CD-Rom (manual), and Czech hardcase.
MSRP is $615 with free shipping on 2 or more.

At least its something kind of new and neat.

Shot the Evo-3 again last weekend. It was still a lot of fun. Now if only i can get some 30 rounders and a factory stock for the SBR.

I see great potential in the Evo-3.
Now come-on 805!

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I am telling you, for anyone just looking for a really fun and nifty looking plinker, these Vz.61 Scorpions in .380 and 9x18 Makarov are really something.

Practical? gently caress no but really something to dump 20 rds of a short 9mm down range in a modernized old commie PDW.
Plus the newer ones are coming pre-drilled+tapped for screws to attach a stock....which you totally shouldn't do until you get your stamp mind you. Still, nice that that bit of smithing is already done for you.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Nope, not confirmed. I really like the straight, clear .380/9x18 mags.

Here are some pictures of one of mine:

The 9x18 Mak version looks identical. Mags also come in a solid, black waffle pattern.
Each has 2 mags, cleaning rod, holster, and hardcase. Additional mags aren't bad; $25 each.

Looking forward to getting to shoot mine. In .32 the Scorpion is a blast but in a 9mm rd i expect it to be even more fun.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

This answer is 100% wrong.

True the CZ999 isn't made by CZ but rather by Zastava, which shares the same initials.

Zastava makes very good firearms, at very economic prices.

The CZ999 is the same as the M99, which has been the standard issue sidearm in the Serbian military for about a decade now.

To my knowledge, no serious problems have been reported with them, and they are accurate and reliable.

Its a SiG P226 meets a Walther P88.
From the P226, it has the trigger system, and from the P88 the combo decocker/slide release lever and ambi mag release.

It has a steel slide, 4.25" barrel, and alloy frame. Trigger is a DA/SA with exposed hammer.
Mags hold 15 rounds, and the gun is available in either 9mm or .40.
There is a 'Compact' model which is honestly not much smaller, with about 1/2" shorter barrel and fullsized frame.

Good guns for the money like I said.
I've seen some sold by CAI as surplus made back in the early/mid 1990s that had fired many rounds, and they seemed to have held together just fine.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Problem is AIM is sold out of those now i believe?

But I am sure they would at least refund you. They are a standup company to begin with, and even questionable companies like I.O. or CAI will take back a defective/unsafe gun for liability reasons.

AIM will try and make it right.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

My Evo's bolt is pretty easy to retract with uncocked hammer, and quite easy with a cocked one. Of course with it as a pistol, you do need to get it all kind of at the right angle and held right.

I can get full 20 rounders in mine; just need to slap them to get them to seat all the way.

I still need to get some 30 rounders. If any goon can help me track a couple down for a decent price; much obliged and I'd owe you one.
Not a huge deal, but would like to have them sooner than later i guess.
I do find myself shooting the Evo-3 along with my new Zenith MP5K quite often. Burning through the 9mm WPA haha!

All in good fun. I've always liked 9mm.
What sling loop thing are you talking about on the right/left side? Mine just has the 2 little loops, not a big one.
I can use either my HK UMP or IMI Mini Uzi sling with the Evo.
Right now its rolling with the IMI.

Its a solid feeling firearm....good job CZ really.
Bonus points for showing up SIG's overpriced, overhyped MPX too!

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

My friend has a Vz.58 front sling ring on his Evo-3.
Maybe that's what they have in those videos?

Those rings are dirt cheap, but I've not had an Evo-3 come in with one yet.

Strangely, CZ has already used 2 radically different styles of boxes to ship the firearm in. Not sure what is up with that?

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I got the smaller and more plain brown cardboard box too.

Its fine.

I don't see a point to the larger and flashier one.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I have no interest in either a $1,800 CZ805 or a pistol version CZ805.

I want the standard military type/sized firearm.

With so many other options out there at or below $1,500 (hell many well under $1k even), i do not feel the CZ805 will do much at these prices.

The only reason the Evo-3 hit so big was that it was priced very fairly.

That said, I've had more trade offers on Evo-3s from customers than anything else over the past 6 months.
They buy one thinking it will be a substitute for an MP5; and then discover it just isn't.
$20 mags sounds great from CZ, but they never loving have them available. Of course its not their fault that guys seem to be hording them for some reason?

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

You won't see me selling them for twice their value on there, i can tell you that much.

Mostly because i don't even have enough for my own use yet hehe.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Yeah, peep/aperture sights are meant for use with a stock.

That is why when IMI made the Uzi Pistol, Sterling made the MK 7 Pistol, and HK made the MP5K/SP89 pistol; all changed from an aperture to an open notch sight.

Now when IMI put a stock on and called it the Micro Uzi, the aperture sight returned. Ditto for when HK did the MP5K-PDW.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

This weekend I will be reviewing the IWI Uzi Pro Pistol and comparing it with the CZ Evo-3 Pistol.

Cost wise, the Uzi Pro is only about $50-$100 more so not too bad.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I'll reserve judgment until after firing.

Right now i'd say: Evo-3 > Uzi Pro > TP9....when it comes to looks and general feel.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I really really really want that stock for my Evo-3.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Nah, wasn't going to do the airsoft thing.

I thought of a use for that USA made FH.

For people wanting a "carbine" (some states still don't allow SBRs), you could use it and extend it, then perm attach and then you have yourself a 16" barrel.

Goofy? sure but its the only way some folks can get one of these either with a stock, or just at all. My friend in HI is a good example. He can't have the Evo-3 as a pistol at all, but can have it as a carbine n/p.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Ordered 2 sets; 1 for me and the other for a friend with an Evo.

Figured it is better than trying to get lucky with CZ's site.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Only time will tell.

Maybe KVar has some kind of exclusive?

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

CzechPoint got some Vz.61 Scorpions in; in both .32 and 9x18 Mak.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I've sold several Caniks and can report good results from their new owners. For the money, they seem to have a good solid product.

Czechpoint also just got in some stock plates for the Vz61, for anyone wanting to do an SBR.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

What's a "sight radius" anyway? hehe

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Well the 9x18mm Makarov Vz.61s didn't last long. Czechpoint is already showing as out of stock.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I finally got a couple 30 round mags for my Evo-3, thanks to a goon's big help.

I had time to slap one into my "pistol" this weekend, and it really looks right in the thing.

Just need my SBR stock kit to come in, and I'll be ready for some real fun!

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

FYI, another small batch of 9x18mm Makarov Vz.61s just came in over at CzechPoint.

They also have adaptor plates & stock assemblies in stock too.

The newer Vz.61s come pre-drilled & tapped for mounting the plate.....so its super easy to do an SBR with one now.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

The plate is the adaptor.

It attaches to the back of the Scorpion's frame with 2 screws.
It gives you a dovetail that the stock can then just slide in and out of; so it works same as on the military version.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Its on Page 3 of their Vz.61 Parts & Accessories page.
Its around $45 for the complete assembly.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Probably not of interest to anyone, but i found out today that 30 round Evo-3 mags fit well into German MP5 mag pouches.

They start off a bit tight, but once they begin to slide in, they go easily.

Just FYI for anyone who likes to keep their mags in pouches as I myself do.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Shot the Vz.61 in Makarov for the first time today.

fired about 160 rounds in total, and had zero malfunctions/failures.

It was a lot of fun. It had surprsingly more felt recoil than the Vz.61 in .32.
The firearm feels like its quality. The straight polymer mag with the waffle pattern makes for a good place to put your off hand, and doing so did not harm reliability.

Needs a stock and a suppressor on it though!

All in all, very pleased for under $600 NIB.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Mag loaders can be handy, especially with stiff mags or ones with a single-feed design.

I need to get 1 more 30 rounder for my Evo-3...and oh yeah, wtf is my drat SBR stock kit already? sigh.

Not in CZ news, but it is European and in 9mm and a great SBR candidate; I found a good deal on a B+T TP9 with several extras.
Not sure exactly why i wanted one of those again here recently, but probably because RTG is carrying a lot of spare parts for it and again; very easy SBR project.

Anyway, I want to take it out along with my Evo-3 and Z5K.
Its a neat little gun, though I think the B+T USA imports are over priced at their price of $1,600 or something.

I got this DSA import one used with a lot of goodies: 7 30 rd mags, 3 15 rd mags, original topcover with notch type pistol sight, MP9 topcover with side rail and the SMG peep sight, sling, brass catcher, and hardcase.

I grabbed a mag loader from RTG, as the TP9's mags can get really stiff after 2/3rds full.
They also have the original Swiss stock assembly for $130 and original Swiss QD foregrip for $70. So everything you would need to do an SBR.
RTG has mags, spare barrels, firing pins, and well pretty much everything for the TP9/MP9 really.

CZ hint hint, this is what you need to be doing for the Evo-3 too.
Its a great gun, but parts and accessories being available really helps market appeal.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Finally played around with a CZ805 Bren today.

Pretty much what i expected; nice build quality, smooth, good trigger.

But totally sucks as a pistol.
If i were to get one, it would have to be a carbine.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I have really been enjoying my TP9.
Put over 500 rounds through it thus far. Not a single failure with several ammo types (including Tula and Brass Max batebox stuff).

It cost me $1,200 with 7 30 rd mags, 3 15 rd mags, sling, 2 top covers, brass catcher, and factory case with manual.
Of course it was used but gently caress if i care. I was planning to make it "used" very quickly anyway.

Since RTG has everything needed for a classy SBR conversion, i jumped right in.

Its ridiculously loud and has a huge fireball for being a 9mm, which both just add to the fun factor.

Its extremely lightweight too.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

DSA offered 2 versions: B+T 3 lug QD and standard threaded w/ cap.
Sorry, don't know the thread pitch but i am sure an adaptor could be had/made.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Yes, the barrel is inside that outer sleave, but the sleave is part of the barrel assembly and solid.

The MP9/TP9 uses a rotating barrel which does recoil about 1/2" each time the weapon fires. This is why a suppressor can't be attached directly onto the barrel you see.

The B+T 3 lug is very good, but finding a suppressor to fit it can be difficult. That's why DSA had the threaded version too.
RTG has an adaptor to let the TP9 use modern suppressors but its a lot of money.
Probably just easier to find a threaded version.

Its a fun little gun, that much I can say. Also dead nuts reliable....at least so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

This stock thing is long past being a joke.

My salesrep at KVar said that they are really annoyed with CZ-USA over it.