Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CZ rifles are neat rifles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

bunnielab used to own a gun and now he doesn't own a gun and now I own a gun!

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

oh lord if it took AK mags I'd buy a few drums and a bunch of those orange rolling targets and just sit out back in a lawn chair all day

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Spent some time dialing in my 527 Carbine's trigger so there is no more overtravel. Between that and the set trigger, I think I am now completely spoiled for other rifles.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

What caliber is your carbine in? I have an excuse to buy stuff in 7.62x39 now, and I'm considering a 527 in it.
x39. I considered the .223 version since I am a huge FONV nerd but a fellow tfr'er was selling it and I never shoot my Saiga sporter.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

You do.

It's an incredibly pleasant little gun. I think it may be the most enjoyable-to-shoot rifle I've ever shot... Everything just seems to be so well thought-out. My only gripe is that I would prefer an aperture rear sight.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

So you have demonstrated that you are NOT, in fact, grippin' wood grain. Should we infer that you are likewise not drippin' stains when you switch lanes?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

piss boner posted:

99% sure that it is a varmint, judging solely from the barrel profile.
I would say yeah to this, but it could be a trick of the perspective. American is ~22" skinny barrel, Varmint is 24" heavier barrel.

OWLS! posted:

Varmint. Both the Lux and the American have irons I believe.
Lux does, American does not.

Bummey posted:

What kind of difference in performance should I expect between a carbine and full length 527 in 223?
Depends on if you want to put a scope on it. The Carbine's rear sight can make it difficult for scopes with a larger objective lens (i.e. pretty much everything 3x and up) to fit, but most 1-4x scopes will fit just fine. If you're going to be shooting most often at 100yd or less, the performance difference between 18" and 22-24" of barrel is negligible.

quote:

edit: Hell, what about 223 vs x39 while I'm asking?
If it's purely a range gun and ammo cost is your primary concern (and you don't plan to handload or hunt with it), I'd go with x39 - but that limits your choice to the Carbine (not a terrible thing at all).

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 30, 2011

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Make sure you do the smack test, I had to back the trigger off a bit to keep it from ADing when hit.
After every adjustment I would slam the butt into the floor 10 times trying to trip the sear - it never would, but adjusting it too far would prevent the trigger from tripping the sear at all for whatever reason. I then backed it off until it would trip reliably with a minimum amount of overtravel. It's now better than any rifle I've ever owned, and the set trigger is even better than that.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

Sane people use whatever the manufacturer put in the gun.
Generally yes but in some cases metal guide rods are preferable. My Glock 29's factory spring started to push itself over the plastic endcap after a number of full-power rounds, so I replaced it with a non-captured Wolff metal rod. As a bonus it lets me swap spring weights depending on what ammo I'm shooting.

that said I put stainless rods in my Sigs just because they look baller

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

bunnielab posted:

They are the most fun rifle.
yessssssss

powers posted:

This makes for an interestingly portable bolt carbine that I can run around and shoot hogs/coyotes with.
They do come in .223 which may be more versatile as a coyote gun, but maybe the heavier 7.62 bullet would be better on hogs? idk. I've only shot groundhogs and skunks with mine (in x39).

rifles posted:

Anyone know if you can get aperture sights on one of those?
I am going to try this on mine. The CZ550 has a wider dovetail than the 527, but I'm hoping that the "claws" on both sides are floating (as opposed to one side being fixed to the base) will allow it to center on the receiver without too much fuss. If the sight itself needs some metalworking then I am fine with that.

That said, the factory irons are surprisingly nice. Don't be put off by the fact that they at first glance seem like AK sights with even less adjustability; the front dot & rear notch are a muuuuuch nicer picture than any other open/leaf sights I've used.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 10, 2012

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Kommienzuspadt posted:

wtf?? where is that reddot mounted? That poo poo cray. Over the ejection port??
I'm guessing it's attached to the left side of the frame. The ejection port would be unobstructed when the slide recoils to the rear.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

incredibull posted:

If you are crafty I imagine you could make something work with single-stack 7.62x39 10-rd AK magazines. The feed lip area will probably have to be modified, latching tabs removed, and CZ-compatible latching tabs/nubs added somehow. The CZ mag doesn't look too complicated. If you have some time and a welder, I bet you could mod up a few single-stacks easily.
I'd like to believe this could be done but given how overbuilt AK mags are and how compact the CZ mag is, it wouldn't be feasible without some serious modification to the bottom metal.

Although you could get a spare for $65 so it *may* be worth attempting for someone with equal levels of skill and recklessness (i.e. Gwamp). A more elegant solution would be to cut the top from one mag and the bottom from another and weld them together.

In the end, however, you'd be putting forth a lot of effort (and cash) for the tenuous benefit of five additional rounds. Buying a few spare CZ mags would be far less hassle in the long run.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 14, 2012

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

incredibull posted:

You're probably right. I've never seen a CZ 527 mag other than GIS, so if you say it's compact I'll take your word for it. It would require a poo poo ton of grinding around the feed lips/walls no matter what, since as you mentioned this area of the AK mag is seriously overbuilt.
Here's some comparison pics of the 527 and AK mags (doublestack, I don't have any singles on hand because eeew singlestack AK mags ):

AK mag feedlip area measures 2.46"x1.02", CZ measures 2.39"x0.51".

AK mag next to CZ magwell:

A clever fabricator might possibly make something work, but it would either need some creative thinking on how to get an AK mag catch in such a small space, or custom-cut each AK mag to accept a new catch altogether.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Sticking a 30r mag on a nice light little rifle kinda ruins the point.
All in all I agree, but I still think the idea is neat even with the drawbacks. Just the idea, mind you... given the amount of work required for a custom gun it wouldn't be worth the cost in the end.

Now if CZ offered a factory 10rd mag I'd surely grab one.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Well, one reason is that the 527 FS is only available in .222 Rem, .223 Rem and .22 Hornet. The Carbine is the only 527 available in x39. vv

For target shooting out to 300yd, any model of 527 in .223 would be my choice.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 19, 2012

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

A 527 Weaver adapter rail is $65 from the CZ webstore; that plus the cost of decent weaver low rings will both cost more and be just as tall as a pair of 527 rings for use with the existing dovetails. Warne Maxima mediums would be my recommendation.

In either case a cheek riser will likely be needed - DSA has a simple adjustable strap-on pad which works well for me. Midway also has an inexpensive one if you want a pocket - you can cut up an old mousepad and stick it underneath to adjust the height. The cartridge loops are kind of crappy, though.

Another thing to consider with the Carbine is that a scope with an objective bezel of more than ~35mm might not clear the rear sight. If you are using a 1-4x scope it shouldn't be an issue.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 21, 2012

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Propagandalf posted:

I'd compare its role more to a .357 lever action than a traditional bolt gun like a Remington 700.
Yep although I'd say 7.62x39 is a closer cousin to .30-30 Winchester. I mentioned some time ago that I view the 527 Carbine as a modern bolt-action counterpart to the Winchester 94 or Marlin 336.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Evidently, the much-more-widely available .308 bullets work well enough in a .311 bore when handloading x39.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-185447.html

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Not sure what (if any) the long-term negative effects of using a .311 bullet in a .308 bore would be. A 7.62x39 gun with a .308 bore would be extremely handy for reloaders; but given that 99% of people with a gun in that caliber intend to just use surplus/Russian ammo, it was likely a liability-limiting move on Ruger's part.

Alternately: This is Ruger, so they could have just put an enormous billboard warning on the barrel

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

1. Where did you find that

2. I agree that bulky scope and stupid muzzle brake are dumb as poo poo

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Quickshanks posted:

It's doing it on its own!
Some guns do it more readily than others. I don't limpwrist but the FNP-9 I had would bounce cases off my hat brim at least five times every mag.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Did you buy it new or used? What type/make of ammo was it? I've never had any sticky-bolt issues with mine with polymer-coated Wolf/Bear/etc, though I've never used lacquer-coated/corrosive surplus either.

Only feeding issues I've ever had came from the one time I accidentally installed the spring backwards in the mag - it will fit either way, but only function reliably in one direction.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 30, 2012

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Do itttttttt

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

How does it compare to the Ruger Gunsite? For some reason I want a bolt action with a detachable magazine.
The Ruger is necessarily bigger & heavier (given the round it fires and the laminate stock) but still balances well. The CZ iron sights are nice but the Ruger's aperture is worlds better imo. Mags for both are pricey but as mentioned, how many do you really need? I wish CZ offered a laminate or composite stock as an option for the Carbine. Both are great choices, both are at their core the same concept (a factory-sporter Mauser with a box mag), just depends on what you want the rifle to do.

Gtab posted:

those are a dime a dozen and literally every major rifle company makes a dozen such models so
yeah but 99% of sporter boltgun box mags are ill-fitting, overly-delicate garbage. The CZ & Ruger are the only ones (not counting AICS chassis conversions for other guns) in my experience to do it right.

Cucaracha posted:

Uncle Caveman, that sling makes for a classy looking setup. I'm gonna copy you so hard.
Thanks - but that is a surplus Uzi sling that was $5 from Numrich. 1980s Action Movie Classy.

Really in addition to all its other uses, the 527 Carbine is absolutely perfect at this role:

quote:

...a sittin on the porch drinking gun. Enjoying each shot like a sip of exotic tea.
...though in my case it was more a "sittin in a lawn chair behind the barn enjoying each shot like a swig of IPA" gun.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 1, 2012

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

So I noticed that Skinner makes a receiver peep sight for the 452/455:

And then I noticed this:

If they offer a winged version well then

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Usually they mention if a new front post is needed - but just looking at it I would guess not. It definitely sits lower than the Tech Sights model, which does need a new post.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

uh oh your gun has a National Serial Number, better file it off and remove the biometric transponder embedded in the trigger

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Super 3 posted:

Anyone own a CZ-527 in 7.62 or .223? I've been lusting after one of these for a while and I'm torn.
Are you referring to the Carbine model? There are a few in TFR, they are fantastic rifles and incredibly fun to shoot. I had one in 7.62x39 but sold it as the cartridge wasn't much use to me (went to another TFR member so it's all good). I do want to replace it with one in 223 very badly.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Nope, this is the place for CZ riflechat

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

Okay so is the rifle chambered in just .223? The website says .223/5.56.
Can I feed rounds right into the action or do I have to detach the mag?
Can anyone post a pic looking through the sites?
Are the iron sights with the sight hood as sexy as it looks?
How mausery is this mauser?

1. It'll handle both

2. You can drop a single round into the action

3. I don't have a photo but it looks basically like this:

4. Yes

5. Pretty darn Mausery, only smaller

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

So the rifle becomes a single shot unless I take out the mag and load 5 rounds into the mag?
Not sure if this is exactly what you were asking but yes, the magazine must be removed to load it - it can't be top-loaded like a traditional fixed-mag boltgun.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

In theory yes; but by the time a Mauser claw extractor wears down from use, the shooter will have long since retired from the hobby due to the ravages of old age.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Akion posted:

So far [the CZ 527] has been my best gun purchase.
I'm really happy it went to someone who enjoys it so much.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

ffff

I don't even have anywhere over 100 yards to shoot it. I don't hunt.

Should I throw one on law-a-way at Buds?
You're talking about a 527 Carbine? You absolutely should. Aside from the general Mausery-ness, what I enjoyed most was that it is just FUN to shoot - due in large part to the iron sights. Other bolt-actions may do just as well for less cost, but to me being limited to a scope is boring as hell. I did 99% of my shooting with the 527 at 50yds.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Bunnielab (the previous owner of mine & Akion's 527) had the bolt handle modified by James Calhoon to fit lower rings - note the "scooped" upper portion of the handle:

(better shot here)

Also note that in order to really take advantage of the modded handle, you apparently need Calhoon's custom low rings (available from the "Price Lists" link, near the bottom of the page). The 527 receiver has 16mm dovetails so normal Weaver/etc rings won't work.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Let's try this again

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

9.3x62mm is rad and all, but I want the 550 Carbine to be available in 6.5x55

Additionally, I want that kevlar stock to be available for the 527 Carbine.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Carbine Crew

Have you tried the set trigger yet? poo poo is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

28_days posted:

It seems like a lighter pull with little creep to me.
That's it. The regular trigger is pretty drat good; the set trigger is meant to be super light with zero takeup, useful for precision shooting. Basically you set it when shouldering the gun and it goes off with a slight touch.

As such, you definitely don't want to walk around or even put the rifle down with it set.