Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Anyone hear about a Verizon inductive charger? Supposedly the LG Revolution is coming with a QI charging back. The cheapest charger I can find though is that double device Energizer one. And that one is still going for $70 at best.

~$40 or so I'd love to get one for it, it'd be great for my desk at work. I'm in and out of my office all day, being able to just set it down and grab it when I come and go would be pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Bahama.Llama posted:

:clint:

Yeah, that sounds about right. After I order my kit, I quickly emailed my parents with instructions on how to get the deal. My dad gave it a try and by 2:00pm EST, the price went up to $49.97. He gave them a ring and the CSR on the phone said "Well... that item is $49.97". Sounds like the deal is indeed dead.

Now I wonder if they will honor all of those $20 packages. When I go to check the status of my order here, I get a "Page Not Found" error :ohdear:.

Yea the deal is off now. I received my shipping notice with the tracking number a few hours ago. You should be fine dude

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
That's what I get for trusting that it would last a week (I was just going to wait till this evening!!), if it sounds to good to be true etc etc.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
:siren: Thunderbolt gingerbread users :siren:

Your phone is a ticking time bomb, revert back to froyo asap. http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/25/urgent-leaked-thunderbolt-gingerbread-radio-may-cause-hard-bricks-we-advise-you-revert-to-froyo/

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bull3964 posted:

I know people say that, but this is the first phone outside of the Nexus One (and of course Nexus S) that has gotten gingerbread in the US.

So, yay moto?

Nope. Xperia Play launched today with GB.

Revolution's came in today, switching off my Droid Charge. The charge wasn't a bad phone, much better experence with it than the Thunderbolt, should be better when it gets a de-touchwized rom. The finish on it is awful though, I've been using it for 3 weeks and it looks like its a year old already with all the scratches.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 25, 2011

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Your phone is a ticking time bomb, revert back to froyo asap. http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/25/urgent-leaked-thunderbolt-gingerbread-radio-may-cause-hard-bricks-we-advise-you-revert-to-froyo/

Wow, I'd actually been thinking of finally flashing it this weekend. Looks like I'm stuck on DasBamf Froyo, since CM7 turns my phone into a space heater.

Einherjar13
Oct 17, 2009
I have a Thunderbolt which had been rebooting itself every so often since the OTA update. Today it killed my mobile broadband when it rebooted. Tried the usual stuff (ie rebooting / tooling with 4g vs 3g radios) with no luck. Thought maybe the network was down again like it was a few weeks ago, but then i noticed it looks like it might have messed with my APN as well (which now says Production and looks like some type of mms service vs before saying something with a vz in it). Called verizon and without any further info than that the rep said that HTC recommended that they just replace the phone. So to anyone else having an issue like this, hopefully a free new phone fixes it.

Rowe
May 16, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

Nope. Xperia Play launched today with GB.

Revolution's came in today, switching off my Droid Charge. The charge wasn't a bad phone, much better experence with it than the Thunderbolt, should be better when it gets a de-touchwized rom. The finish on it is awful though, I've been using it for 3 weeks and it looks like its a year old already with all the scratches.

Could you give us some initial impressions of the Revolution when you get a chance? The only thing I've been able to find is some quick thoughts on boygeniusreport and they were not very favorable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I went poking around in a Verizon store today to play with new phones.

Quite frankly, I ended up disapointed as hell.

The two HTC phones are the best ones out there, so I'll save those for last.

The Charge, while having an amazing screen, feels like a cheap toy. This feeling is further reinforced by Touchwiz, which feels like iOS for preschoolers. It's just way too bight and busy. It did at least feel pretty snappy, which is more than I can say for the next phone.

The Droid X2 is the most powerful phone Verizon carries, but you would never know it by feel. My friend has the DroidX and I have used it many times. If you didn't notice the lack of camera button, you probably couldn't tell the difference between them in a blind test. The lock screen stuttered and the home screens just didn't swipe smoothly. Finally, the screen seemed washed out to me, but I admit it could have been the steel gray color scheme. I'm not to fond of the physical buttons either.

The Thunderbolt and Incredible 2 seem very similar outside of the LTE radio. Both had nice looking screens and both were very responsive. But when it comes right down to it, they are Q4 2010 phones. I just wouldn't feel confident signing a 2 year contract with either. Also, to sum up the Thunderbolt, it was sitting there on the display in 1x mode while the Charge a few inches away had a great LTE signal. That's not doing it any favors.

So, there it is. There isn't a single phone out there right now that I really want. Now, I'm not due for an upgrade yet. But when July 12th tools around and I can upgrade, the landscape doesn't look like its going to change much. I'm half tempted to buy an Incredible 2 at full retail and wait for the holiday season to use my upgrade.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Rowe posted:

Could you give us some initial impressions of the Revolution when you get a chance? The only thing I've been able to find is some quick thoughts on boygeniusreport and they were not very favorable.

So far, for a few hours, I like it. Build quality is solid, if a bit heavy compared to the charge. Screen isn't as nice, but passable 800x480.

Speed wise, its pretty peppy, scores a 1910 on quadrant.

I am finding I actually like some of the LG customizations, the app drawer allows you to create sub folders within it, so media adds are one tab, communications, downloads, etc. This is key because it allows you to move all the crapware to a custom folder I call "crapware" and leave minimized. Not as good as being able to uninstall, but a nice option. The lock screen has a nifty "whats new" option that brings you to the latest messages, emails, etc in once flick, pretty nice.

camera is OK, but only 5MP, so not quite up to the Charge or Tbolts..

only drawbacks I can find so far are bing, and google music FCs on launch. (I got into the beta)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

Wow, I'd actually been thinking of finally flashing it this weekend. Looks like I'm stuck on DasBamf Froyo, since CM7 turns my phone into a space heater.

I switched to CM7. I just love AOSP so much :( but my 4g isn't working...

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

So far, for a few hours, I like it. Build quality is solid, if a bit heavy compared to the charge. Screen isn't as nice, but passable 800x480.

Speed wise, its pretty peppy, scores a 1910 on quadrant.

I am finding I actually like some of the LG customizations, the app drawer allows you to create sub folders within it, so media adds are one tab, communications, downloads, etc. This is key because it allows you to move all the crapware to a custom folder I call "crapware" and leave minimized. Not as good as being able to uninstall, but a nice option. The lock screen has a nifty "whats new" option that brings you to the latest messages, emails, etc in once flick, pretty nice.

camera is OK, but only 5MP, so not quite up to the Charge or Tbolts..

only drawbacks I can find so far are bing, and google music FCs on launch. (I got into the beta)

It only weighs .06 ounces more than my OG Droid, and is ever so slightly thinner actually.

Do you know how much RAM it has? Nothing anywhere states what it has on board.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

To prep for the Droid x ota, if I've been using the leaked gingerbread will restoring my backup from before I flashed that and then unrooting be enough to work, or would I be better off just doing an sbf back to stock?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Mr. Despair posted:

To prep for the Droid x ota, if I've been using the leaked gingerbread will restoring my backup from before I flashed that and then unrooting be enough to work, or would I be better off just doing an sbf back to stock?

Just wait for someone to release a rooted version of the OTA, if they have not already, and flash it. That's the safest option.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

chupacabraTERROR posted:

:negative:

I was really enjoying the Sense3.0 lockscreen

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Any NFC chipped phones in the near future?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Is there a place to find the stock droidx rom?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today is so strange. 4 new smartphones launched - what should be a huge deal for Verizon - and yet every single one of them is completely underwhelming.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Txiuct posted:

Is there a place to find the stock droidx rom?
There are links to many versions in this XDA post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11118819&postcount=2

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

Today is so strange. 4 new smartphones launched - what should be a huge deal for Verizon - and yet every single one of them is completely underwhelming.

Revolution seems to be okay, but no one in their right mind would buy that instead of waiting until summer for the Bionic. Assuming, of course, they had the ability to wait. The one compelling reason would be to get grandfathered into unlimited data, but if that were the case, why haven't you bought a Thunderbolt yet. I don't know.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I checked out the Revolution today, wasn't that bad. Sitting next to the Charge, though, the screen looked like crap. Still on par with the Thunderbolt screen though. I would get the Revolution if I thought there would be any dev support, but I think it's one of those middle of the road phones that will become the new Eris

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I actually really like the Revolution. Even the screen, as I've never been a huge AMOLED fan. The unknown dev support is a huge thing, though.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

I got a Revolution today. I want 4G before unlimited goes away, and my OG Droid was on its last legs. (Broken screen, not nearly enough RAM anymore.) Kinda gambling a bit on the dev support I know, but we'll see.

If anyone has questions about it I can try to answer them.

Rowe
May 16, 2006

PirateDentist posted:

I got a Revolution today. I want 4G before unlimited goes away, and my OG Droid was on its last legs. (Broken screen, not nearly enough RAM anymore.) Kinda gambling a bit on the dev support I know, but we'll see.

If anyone has questions about it I can try to answer them.

Could you snap a couple of photos with it? I'm interested in seeing the picture quality.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Cozmosis posted:

[…]I've never been a huge AMOLED fan.[…]

I'm curious why you dislike AMOLED displays?

I've generally considered OLED to be the "future" of all flat panel displays, because they can display richer colors than an S-IPS panel, while also having true blacks. I thought Samsung being the only company with mass-produced AMOLED displays was because they own key patents *slash* they are the only company that heavily invested big $$$ into OLED before all the issues were resolved (i.e. blue diodes only lasting 10,000 hours).

I'd really appreciate hearing others' opinions, not only because I sell this stuff 40+ hours a week, but I'm also interested from a geek perspective.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Rowe posted:

Could you snap a couple of photos with it? I'm interested in seeing the picture quality.

Sure, I'll get some tomorrow when it's light outside.

So far I'm liking it. There's nothing that different about it, its pretty much the same as a stock Droid, only faster in every aspect and with more memory and RAM.

I've been playing with video playback and it decoded some x264 and several Divx files perfectly. One video that appeared to be like all the rest failed for some reason, not sure if the codec on that one is messed up or not. Still looking into it. Plays back the following according to the manual: "3gp, mp4, avi, wmv, mov, mkv
(Codec: MPEG4, H.263, Sorenson H.263, H.264, VC-1, DivX/XviD)"

It DOES have an indicator light, it's at the tip of the left side of the Verizon checkmark. Nothing anywhere mentions it.

DOES NOT come with the QI wireless charging back. The rep I talked to quoted me $30 for the back and $70 for the pad before any discounts. Kinda pricy... I get a 25% discount for my work plan, but that's still a bit much for a charger. I'd love to get the back and a few pads, but not for that much.

Verizon says it has 768MB of RAM, but I'm pretty sure it only has 512.

I can't say how the battery life is yet, but it's taking a hell of a long time to charge. Make sure you use something that pushes out 500mA and not just 200. I had it on a smaller charger and I was actually draining the battery as I was playing with it, switched it over to the one it came with and it started to climb again. 5 hours later (with heavy use and the screen at 100%), being plugged in for 4 of those, and I'm at 55%.

I put Launcher Pro on it, as I got tired of the bright colors and rounded edges. Seems to still be just as snappy.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 27, 2011

BagelMaster
Mar 20, 2008
So what's the deal with reselling a phone while you're on contract (or buying to avoid signing a new contract)? Do you typically just get a phone on a 2-year contract, and when you sell it, you deactivate and wipe it, and someone can purchase it at a premium because they don't have to sign a new contract?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Yep. The contract is agreeing to keep the service active for 2 years, its not on the specific phone.

BUT: Sometimes contracts with 3rd party retailers (I.E. wirefly, amazon) may require you to keep all the same features active for a length of time as well, so if you say goto a dumbphone from a smartphone, they may try to give you an additional cancel fee.

BagelMaster
Mar 20, 2008
Thanks! A friend of mine threw out the idea of teaching for him at a music school in Europe next year. I've been due for a new phone it a while now, but none of the world phones have caught my attention, so I was thinking of getting whatever phone, and if I decide to take the position I'll just sell the CDMA phone and then use whatever I make off of that to offset some of another world phone off contract (iPhone 5 or 6 or whatever it'll be after this upcoming iteration).

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

SpacedOut posted:

I'm curious why you dislike AMOLED displays?

I've generally considered OLED to be the "future" of all flat panel displays, because they can display richer colors than an S-IPS panel, while also having true blacks. I thought Samsung being the only company with mass-produced AMOLED displays was because they own key patents *slash* they are the only company that heavily invested big $$$ into OLED before all the issues were resolved (i.e. blue diodes only lasting 10,000 hours).

I'd really appreciate hearing others' opinions, not only because I sell this stuff 40+ hours a week, but I'm also interested from a geek perspective.

The thing that turns me off somewhat is how they make colors look oversaturated. Some people like it. It isn't always the case, and has gotten better since SAMOLED+ came around.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
First person to get the Droid X update, please save a copy of update.zip!

I don't know if they do it alphabetically, or what, but it always seems like I get mine on day 3 or 4 of the rollout.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

In order to get the OTA update I just need to unroot right?

edit: I'm stock btw.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Several blog sites are saying the roll out will start late this evening.

The update details and instructions PDFs are updated on the VZW support site:
http://support.vzw.com/system_update/droid_x.html

quote:

Enhancements:
  • Download Manager App: New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
  • App and Power Management Details: Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
  • Multi-Touch Key-Chording: New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode.
  • Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality: New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
  • New User Interface and Color Scheme: New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
  • Dock Icons: Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
  • App Groups: New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups, in addition to 3 default groups: All Apps, Recent and Downloaded.
  • Emergent Groups and Smart Contacts: Based on usage, participant and addressee suggestions are made in Calendar entries, emails and text messages. Create groups instantly based on the context of what you’re doing. For example, quickly create a group based on a suggestion Calendar invitee list or the group of people with whom you’re texting.
  • Updated Calendar Options:
    • Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
    • Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders.
    • Easy conference dialing – simply dial and automatically enter a conference code directly from your Calendar.
Other improvements:
  • Geo-Tagging for Camera applications
  • Calendar application:
    • Calendar appointments created on the device with Exchange Active Sync will correctly display on the device.
    • Update calendar appointments with Exchange Active Sync without deleting them.
    • Successfully sync the Inbox and Calendar when using Exchange Active Sync.
  • Email application:
    • Improved contact syncing from multiple accounts.
    • Email pushes now work correctly when using Exchange Active Sync.
    • Exchange Active Sync account setup will accurately present server option.
    • Forwarded emails send properly while using Exchange Active Sync.
    • POP3/IMAP emails now show the correct date stamp.
  • Successfully edit Contacts without being directed to the home screen.
  • Autofocus Camera feature has been improved for use in low-light conditions.
  • Improved battery life while using Bluetooth

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

It only weighs .06 ounces more than my OG Droid, and is ever so slightly thinner actually.

Do you know how much RAM it has? Nothing anywhere states what it has on board.

It has 16GB on board, 368Meg for program memory

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 27, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

stormrider posted:

Several blog sites are saying the roll out will start late this evening.

The update details and instructions PDFs are updated on the VZW support site:
http://support.vzw.com/system_update/droid_x.html
Assuming this update is functionally the same as the leaked .595, there are a couple of (imo) nice enhancements that aren't listed there.

1) You can dismiss individual notifications -- all notifications, not just calendar events.
2) You can set up three "Profiles" (a la HTC Scenes).

Honestly, if Blur could a) handle scrolling widgets and b) let you have multiple docks like LPP or GoLauncher, I'd probably just stick with pure stock (minus the Moto widgets).

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
http://phandroid.com/2011/05/27/all-clear-verizon-will-allow-unlocked-bootloaders-on-their-network/

Woot woot!! I had my doubts that Verizon would let unlocked boot loaders on their network, but sweet deal!! They will allow them!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Codiusprime posted:

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/27/all-clear-verizon-will-allow-unlocked-bootloaders-on-their-network/

Woot woot!! I had my doubts that Verizon would let unlocked boot loaders on their network, but sweet deal!! They will allow them!

Now all HTC needs to do is put out a LTE-enabled phone with a hardware keyboard and we'll be in business.

Well, I'll be in business, anyways. :shobon:

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Now all HTC needs to do is put out a LTE-enabled phone with a hardware keyboard and we'll be in business.

Well, I'll be in business, anyways. :shobon:

I would be too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kyrosiris posted:

Now all HTC needs to do is put out a LTE-enabled sensation

This more accurately reflects what I want right now. If I could get something like that by mid summer, I would be so happy.

It's not going to happen though. I haven't heard of any new HTC phones coming on Verizon right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

This more accurately reflects what I want right now. If I could get something like that by mid summer, I would be so happy.

It's not going to happen though. I haven't heard of any new HTC phones coming on Verizon right now.

Yea, pretty much would be happy with an HTC phone with dual cores, 4.3 inch screen or above, qHD screen and an unlocked bootloader. The keyboard would be awesome but isn't necessary. If the Droid Bionic has an unlocked bootloader it would fit the bill nicely.

• Locked thread