Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Chu020 posted:

Wasn't there some mention of being able to share data rather than having to get separate data plans per line a while back? Any idea if that will pan out with the new tiered pricing? Estimating my current usage won't change dramatically (~500-700 MB/mo), it'd be really nice to be able to get the 2gb data plan and share it between 2 people, rather than have to pay separately per line.

I had heard this too. I hope that I can split the data plans. My wife and I are currently looking towards getting smartphones but wanted to wait and see what the tiered data plans looked like. If it is like our minutes and we can share the 2GB, then I am all for it. We will only use it for text based things such as emails, news and facebook (with a few things like weather/ GPS on the side). We do not want to have to spend $60 a month for unlimited data when at most we may use 2GB if we are lucky. If we could spend $30 a month for both of us, then that would be a lot easier. Also, going over the 2GB leads to only $10 per GB is not a bad set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Anyone here have a Samsung Continuum Galaxy S? My wife and I are thinking about upgrading and we could get two of those phones for $50 through Verizon. We have been looking for smartphones but I have not heard too much about the Galaxy. Any information would be appreciated.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

I want to say that a tech blog did a test and it's possible to blow through your monthly allotment in like 20 something minutes real world (of course it would be 20 something minutes of solid downloading).

poo poo is absolutely ridiculous.

I would think if you were simply using it for facebook/twitter, email, news and an occasional youtube video, then it would be practically impossible to run through the 2GB in a month. Am i wrong? Heck, my wife and i were waiting to see if we could share the 2Gb between our lines to save money.

Edit: Also, does going through Amazon Wireless for phones have any issues when it comes to activation or employee discounts?

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 7, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Any issues with the Blackberry Curve? Since the info on the Continuum has lead to her moving past it, she is looking at the Blackberry Curve (she does not care about touch screen capabilities).

Edit again: Can you upgrade through two different sites? My wife gets an extra $50 credit going through verizon but I can get a cheaper phone going through Amazon? Is she able to upgrade her phone through Verizon while I upgrade my phone through Amazon or am I just pipe dreaming?

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 7, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Aurium posted:

Getting upgrades though different groups is no problem at all.

So even though we are on a family plan, I can upgrade through amazon and my wife can upgrade through verizon. (not trying to be a douche, I just want to make sure)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

What is the difference between Verizon and Sprint services in terms of data and calling reception? My wife and I are considering switching from Verizon to Sprint but I would like to stay with Verizon so I need selling points (or points to agree with her if it would be better to go with Sprint)

Edit: Has anyone here tried out Pre-owned phones through Verizon? Any info on the certified pre-owned set up would be greatly appreciated.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 8, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

dominator posted:

Because I'm supposed to be in the trial and don't have my phone yet :mad:

How does a person get into user trials? I have always wondered.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Matlock posted:

Just saw this over in C/D: if you're a new signup to Verizon, every phone on their service is available for a penny through Amazon. Not bad.

I hate how they do this for new customers but not for current customers. My wife and I would renew immediately if we could get the phones cheap like that.

Also, Verizon has to work harder to let their customers know when deals are going on. Logged into our account last week only to see that we could upgrade and get a hundred dollar gift card for Verizon. It unfortunately ended that night and we did not have time to see if it was worth it. If they would have sent an e-mail a couple of days before hand, we would have had time to talk about it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Currently, my wife has an account (with a previous employer) and we have our family lines through that.

Would my wife be able to cancel (we are over our contract so no ETF)that contract, create a new contract through Amazon (using her new employer) and both of us receive the RAZR for $0.01?

I am just wondering if the $0.01 deal can be for both lines and if she would still be considered a new contract.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Most stores (including Walmart and Best Buy) include the credit card transaction fee into the price of all of their products. I think it is around .24 for each credit/debit card transactions. So these large stores go ahead and drop that fee into the cost of their items. Everyone pays these fees (even if you use cash) and the store banks it. When the credit card companies come asking for that transaction fee for the entire year, the store has more than enough. They pay the fee total to the credit card company and then the rest is classified as profit. If someone complains to the store about the cost of items, the store can then pass the buck to the credit card companies.

This came out when Bank of America wanted to charge $5 a month to its customers to use debit cards. The reason being was that the government was reducing the amount that the transaction fee was, so many banks were looking for a way to keep that profit. (All the banks relented under public pressure) The interesting part was that no large store came out saying that they would be able to reduce prices due to this reduction of fee. Why? Because it was a hidden fee all along we do not know any better.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Can anyone tell me the real differences between the Droid Pro and the Droid Charge? We are looking at an upgrade through Verizon and wondered which one is the better phone. The Droid Pro is free and the Droid Charge is $30 pre-owned (Also, how worth it is Verizon's pre-owned set-up?).

We do not have 4G in this area so it is not the most important thing in the world right now. Thanks.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Is the Incredible 2 an option? Because I think that's free or cheap right now, and it beats the pants off either of those phones.

Yeah but it is $100 and we were looking for a little cheaper smartphone.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

So let me get this straight:

You can get a smart phone and port your number to google voice (for $20). Then you can use that to text and you can get rid of your texting plan through Verizon?

But that can only happen after your contract is up so that you can port the number without the ETF, correct?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Does Verizon charge you an activation fee for a contract upgrade/extension? I noticed on Amazon Wireless that they are offering a deal where they waive the activation fee if you purchase a new smartphone. Just wondering, thanks.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Verizon is the only good game in my area too. My wife and I have had it for years (after having Singular and their lovely dropped calls and CellOne which only covered 6 or 7 counties as home area) and we love their service. We have thought about AllTell (okay service in the area) and Straight Talk but have not went there yet. The thing about this that I am wondering is, with the term "shared data" does that mean that my wife and I would be able to share 2GB of data instead of each of us having to get our own plan? If so, this might finally make it where we feel like using our upgrade to get smartphones.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Right now my wife and I have a shared plan (minutes and text only) which is $93 a month. We had talked about getting smartphones and getting data but we did not want to pay $60 more a month. When I heard Verizon was doing shared data plans, we were both excited. Now, we have no idea. Before we would have to get two 2gb data plans for $30 a piece. When the shared data comes into affect, we would get one 2 gb data plan to share between us for $60.

This new shared data plan no longer seems like an incentive for us to upgrade.

What prepaid carriers use Verizon's network? Some carriers offer $45 for unlimited talk, text and data so we could do both of us for around $90. The major thing keeping us with Verizon was the idea of data on their network.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something I was wondering was; if you upgrade after the 28th, are you forced into a data plan? Can you just get a family plan with minutes and texts only?

Also, does an employer's discount count for everything (line access fees and your plan) or only your plan?

Example: Using my previous information:

Smartphone Access Fee $40
Smartphone Access Fee $40
2gb Shared Plan $60

TOTAL $140

Is a 20% discount going to knock off $28 (everything) or only $12 (shared plan only)?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

This is bizarre:

The table on the first page labels the per-device charges as "monthly line access" and the data bucket as "monthly account access". Thus, it looks to me like they're basically reversing how discounts have historically worked: you get your employee discount on the data plan, but not on the per-device charges.

Edit: but to make things even more twisty, if you get a data-only plan for your seven iPads, then the per-device charge is labeled as "monthly line access" and data is "data". I now realize just how far they're willing to go, to make these plans incomprehensible (as well as obnoxious).

So if I upgrade now will my employee discount remain the same until I switch over to the Share Everything Plan?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have an LG EnV 3 dumbphone. Over the last 2 years, I have had several times where I can send out text messages but I cannot receive them. This happened to me again last night. I have to refresh my roaming capabilities and take out my battery for a couple of minutes. Why does my phone keep going through this? My wife has the exact same phone and she has never once had to do it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

urrently, my wife and I have Verizon phones but our contract ended over a year ago. We have thought about upgrading but the price and our lack of usage does not work out well with Verizon. We were looking into Page Plus to save some money while getting the "same" service for cheap.

My wife is thinking about calling into Verizon to see if they would be willing to match price so that they could keep our business. Would Verizon even do that? (We never call in so we do not know)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

It can't hurt to ask but I'd be extraordinarily surprised if they played ball. They have 94 million subscribers and no compunction about raising prices on every last one of them, they wouldn't give a poo poo if you left.

That is what I was expecting. Just wondering if anyone has had luck before. I will at least give it a try. Thanks

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My wife and I have had 2 Iphone 4s since October 2012. We have 700 minutes shared, 500 messages each and 2GB of data each. (Nationwide voice) We currently spend $150 a month (including an 18% employee discount through my wife's work). Together, we have went over 1 gb of data once in 2 years (Wifi is our friend). Unfortunately, since setting up our contract 2 years ago, I have no idea anything that Verizon offers (we do not have cable so I never see commercials for them).

We are looking to re-up in October (our area is poo poo for anything besides Verizon). What is a plan set up that Verizon offers that might cover us while reducing costs?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Darn, this has been a confusing couple of weeks.
Our upgrade was due in middle of October and my wife and I had decided to upgrade to an iPhone 5S (going from an IPhone 4 since it would be discounted due to the iPhone 6). We were then going to turn our iPhones into iPod touches for our daughters (4 and 2 years old) so they could play their games and listen to music.
Then I heard about the trade in deal for the iPhone 6 (heard from a student and did not believe him at first) and we had began to look for cheap iPod touches since we would send in our phones to get a new one.
Today, my wife checked our account and our upgrade date was moved to 9/13 (a whole month earlier). Now I just read about how you pay for the new phone up front and then get your gift card later. I had thought that they would not charge you up front and if you sent in a damaged phone or never sent in a phone, they would just charge your account. Unfortunately, we do not have the extra $400 for 2 phones. Oh well.
I guess we are back to the iPhone 5S plan but I was wondering if the price will go down more once October rolls around. Should we wait a few more weeks or is the price as low as it will go for the time being?

Is the 5S that different (besides size) than the 6?

We did talk with a Verizon CS rep today and he did say to keep your phone until you get your new phone so you do not have to worry about being without a phone for a few weeks (you just have to wait for the gift card).

Also, thanks thread for the plan info. We will be able to save $30 a month by switching to the unlimited talk, text and 2 GB (now we are paying $75 for 700 mins talk, 500 texts and 2GB). Thanks!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

I would not count on the 6 dropping in price this year. Apple didn't even do Black Friday sales for the 5S. Though it's entirely the trade in promo window might get extended, it's been super successful from what I can tell.

Sorry, I misspoke. I was wondering if the price of the 5S would drop any?

I would not expect the 6 to drop for at least 6 months but, like you said, this promo could very well be extended.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Does anyone know if Verizon does sales for IPhones on Black Friday? I do not expect anything with the iPhone 6 but I was wondering if there would be deals on the IPhone 5S? I am looking at phones for the family and I would hate to get new ones only to miss out on a cheaper deal in 2 weeks.

By the way, thanks for the information on the $60 a line plan. That is saving our family $30 a month with more text and talk than we had before.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My wife and I just switched to a nationwide unlimited talk and text with 2 GB of data a piece. It is $120 a month or so.

I just saw a commercial for Verizon where you can get 2 smartphones plans with 10 GB a month on the Edge set up. It is $110 a month. Is that a better deal than the one we currently have or am I missing something that makes this less of a good deal?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Is there any way for me to view my call log/history for my phone online? I logged into my account and it will give me a call log for this cycle but it will not give details for the last six months (only shows how many minutes I used each month but not the details). I am having an issue with a business and I am trying to show how many times I have called previously without the issue being handled.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My wife had called into Verizon 2 months ago to set up the $20 less a month deal that Verizon announced.

After talking with a CSR, the rep said that we could get $20 off without any problem. Last week, we noticed that the discount had not been applied. My wife calls in again and is told by another rep that we are on the wrong type of plan and are not eligible for the discount. I guess we are on the nationwide and she said that we needed to be on the More Everything.

My wife talked with the rep and asked to have a manager review the previous call to see that she was offered this discount. (She has worked in phone CSR service for the last 7 years). We are waiting for a callback but I am wondering if we are going to even get one.

We currently have unlimited talk and text and we each get 2GB of data. Would a more everything plan be cheaper for us to switch to?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Verizon is looking at allowing you to use certain services without it going against your data cap. I am set up with a beta testing program and I got this email two days ago.

quote:

Hi Bizarro Kanyon,

We'd like to invite you to help test out a new service designed to help you get more out of your mobile data plan.

Verizon is working with various partners, and if you view the content from those partners while on a mobile connection, you will not be charged for that data.

The beta test does not start until the new year so I am guessing that a roll out would be in late spring/early summer.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

So if my wife and I upgrade in November, it will now be $40 per line (2 year upgrade fee) and $20 per equipment upgrade. So it will be an extra $120 for us to upgrade?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I did a beta test for Verizon a few months ago for no data charges when using certain items. This could be connected with that as well.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

We are on an older nationwide plan (unlimited talk, text and 2GB). We have called into Verizon to see about switching to a new plan like More Everything (our contract ends in November) but two different CSRs told us that we could not switch plans until our contract ended.

During times like this, when they are introducing new set ups, will we be able to switch over or will we have to wait until November?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

So do those "t-shirt plans" include any other major fees like line charges or phone access fees?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

That $40 access fee is if you are under contract and subsidize a new phone right?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My wife and I are looking at either reducing our bill or getting more data for around the same cost.

My wife and I are currently on the Unlimited Talk and Text and 2GB data plans for $60 a piece. So it is around $140 a month for us including fees and taxes. Our 2 year contract ends in October or November. We have almost went over on data a few times but it is not a regular occurrence.

We had talked about getting new phones but we have decided to stick with our 32 GB iPhone 5S so we will not need to worry about any equipment payments.

1) what is the best options for us to go with?

2) can we go ahead and switch now or do we have to wait until our contract is almost up?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Our 2 year contract is up so we are looking at changing our plan to either save money or to up our data.

We have 2 smartphones with unlimited text and talk with 2 GB (per line). We pay $60 per line (not including taxes). We have paid off both of our phones (32 GB IPhone 5S) and do not plan on upgrading them.

My wife would like to have a mobile hotspot option.

What would our options look like? Will any fees not be there since we have paid off our phones? For two extremes, what would our cheapest option be that keeps us at 4GB to share and what would be our most data at the same price we pay today?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

We get 19% discount.

My wife was looking at the app today to see what options there are. It looks like we can get a 12 GB for $64.80 (including discount) or a 16 GB for $72.90. The access fees would simply be $40 more a month, correct?

The discount goes off of the non-access fee cost, correct?

Also, once you are in a "t-shirt plan", are there any fees to switch to a different plan in case we try a plan and want to switch?

I was also wondering: I beta tested a Verizon set up where they were testing data free apps and websites. I heard that they set up something with the NFL but has anything else went forward with data free?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

So if my wife and I both have IPhone 5S, we can trade those in for free IPhone 7s? Or will it just take some off of the cost and that will be added to our monthly bill?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My two lines (through my wife's work) got set up on the new plans with 12 GB of data. Set it up earlier this month and scheduled it to start today on our new cycle. When I called in and talked with CSR, they told me that we should get an extra 2GB per line so we should be at 16 GB total. He did say that some accounts did not have the extra data appear so we would just have to call in and they could set it up.

Today, we check and it is 12. I call in and they tell me that they have to have the main account holder (my wife) call in and they do not even show my number connected with hers even though we have been paired for 10 years now. My wife calls in and they tell her that my number is eligible for the 2 GB of data but her line is not. When my wife asks why, they tell her that they do not know. We are waiting for a supervisor to call back and hopefully get this cleared up but does anyone here have an idea of what could be going on.

Also, I can no longer sign into the IOS app. It tells me that I need to log in from my own device or online. CSR told me wife that we needed to log in online in order to register the device with the account (not a new device. Same one for the past 2 years) but even then it does not recognize my device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Here is Southern Illinois, I usually have LTE everywhere that I go except for inside some buildings. This last week, I have had 3G all over the place.

• Locked thread