Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Gonkish posted:

Is there any timetable for Verizon/HTC pushing out Gingerbread to the Thunderbolt? I want root this thing, but I also want 2.3, and the sooner it comes out the sooner the ROM people can update...

Fun Fact: there already is a GB leak for the Thunderbolt and many custom 2.3.4 ROMs are available here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=943

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Bambi posted:

So my screen on my OG Droid cracked about a week ago, but it's been working fine up until just now - the display simply just stopped working altogether. Asurion wants to charge me $99 to replace it for the exact same model, which IMO is completely ludicrous. I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I wanted to wait until Verizon released an LTE phone that I actually liked. Am I basically poo poo out of luck right now, unless I find a cheap used phone to use until I'm ready to upgrade?

Basically. You can either pay them the $99, buy a used droid for around the same price, or upgrade. I'm sure you could find some super cheap dumbphone for way cheaper but then you'd be without a smartphone all summer basically.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Bambi posted:

I called yesterday to file a claim and made sure to ask whether my phone would be replaced with the exact same device, to which the agent replied yes. I asked whether there was any way to have it replaced with a Droid 2 instead since I'd be paying such a high premium, and she said no, not as long as they have original Droids in stock.

That doesn't really answer the question though, since it seems that the person was just giving you a line and had no idea whether they were in stock or not. Maybe call back and escalate it to someone who knows for sure? $100 for a droid 2 isn't a bad deal at all.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Which rom are you using?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

How is battery life? Noticably different? I'm using Tesla Coil at the moment and everything works well, I don't really see a reason to switch yet unless everything works just as well or better. I was going to wait until the betas were done and they had official releases. Is this a good plan or are these betas good enough for daily use?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

So I'm installing Gingeritis beta 8 on my thunderbolt, let's hope that 2.3.4 is stable enough~

I'll report back with a trip repor soon.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

:siren: Thunderbolt gingerbread users :siren:

Your phone is a ticking time bomb, revert back to froyo asap. http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/25/urgent-leaked-thunderbolt-gingerbread-radio-may-cause-hard-bricks-we-advise-you-revert-to-froyo/

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

WeaselWeaz posted:

Wow, I'd actually been thinking of finally flashing it this weekend. Looks like I'm stuck on DasBamf Froyo, since CM7 turns my phone into a space heater.

I switched to CM7. I just love AOSP so much :( but my 4g isn't working...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

Today is so strange. 4 new smartphones launched - what should be a huge deal for Verizon - and yet every single one of them is completely underwhelming.

Revolution seems to be okay, but no one in their right mind would buy that instead of waiting until summer for the Bionic. Assuming, of course, they had the ability to wait. The one compelling reason would be to get grandfathered into unlimited data, but if that were the case, why haven't you bought a Thunderbolt yet. I don't know.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Is that such a bad thing?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

If this has a locked bootloader, I really hope it flops.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

dominator posted:

A locked bootloader isn't a deal breaker for anyone but huge phone nerds, if it is a good phone it will sell boatloads.

Right, but phone nerds won't tell their family/friends to buy a locked phone. And we're the ones they ask when they're buying a phone anyway. My mom, for example, is not a phone nerd. She keeps phones for way past her 2 year contract. I will not advise her to get a smartphone that I can't install ROMs/the newest OS/kernels on 3-4 years down the line when Verizon tells her to gently caress off.

You are right, it will probably sell well if it's a good phone even if it's locked, but I still hope that the effect of the community's bitching about bootloaders starts seeing some results on industry's bottom line.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I was recently in a decently sized Verizon store in LA looking at the trophy and the rep told me that they hadn't sold one yet. :stare:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

The only reason the Trophy even came up in conversation is because my mom who knows nothing about phones was looking for a new one. She really liked WP7. She said "it's windows, i like windows". We ended up with an Incredible 2, mostly because my family has a lot of experience with android, but she reeeally wanted that Trophy.

heh another example of phone sales based on the recommendation of a phone nerd

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

For what it's worth, my mom has a Droid Incredible 2 and gets 2-3 days battery life out of it. I have no idea how she does this, but hey, it owns.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Does Costco sell phones off-contract?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Is it possible to pre-order an off-contract phone, or do I pretty much have to get there early and wait in line?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I don't know, this is the first time I've been in-the-loop enough to buy a newly announced phone. My current phone is a Thunderbolt, I want to get rid of this piece of poo poo as soon as possible.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The Droid 3 is actually a very solid device. If you can get past the bulk of having a physical keyboard, it's easily the best 3g only device on Verizon right now and the best global smartphone on Verizon.

Motorola doesn't use blur on their phones anymore. It isn't an vanilla android build, but it's not as invasive as touchwiz or sense. It's basically a custom launcher, blue theme with custom iconography, a few extra settings for device management, and a bunch of bundled apps from Moto and Verizon (some bloat, some useful.)

The custom ROM community is just starting out for the Droid 3, but I would expect support to be pretty decent long term. The bootloader is locked so there's no custom kernel work, but they've found a way to do a custom recovery and load custom ROMs on it.

The Incredible 2 is also an excellent 3G-only smartphone. Bought one for my mom, installed MIUI on it, and she loves it. She gets 3 days out of it's battery somehow :iiam:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Whenever I go into my local Verizon store I ask one of the guys there if they've sold any Trophys recently, and the answer is always no :smith:

They actively convinced my mom to get android instead of the Trophy.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Watch it come out in May with 2.3.5.

edit: a Droid slider coming out in a month that isn't in the summer? :confused:

moon demon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 27, 2011

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Currently, my wife has an account (with a previous employer) and we have our family lines through that.

Would my wife be able to cancel (we are over our contract so no ETF)that contract, create a new contract through Amazon (using her new employer) and both of us receive the RAZR for $0.01?

I am just wondering if the $0.01 deal can be for both lines and if she would still be considered a new contract.

I have tried this and was told that if you cancel a contract, you won't be able to start a new one with that number for 6 months. I could be terribly misinformed, but this is what I was told by Verizon's phone rep.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

Is the Thunderbolt decent for a Verizon/Android/4G device? I want to have something with good ROM support and the ability to lock down the double-your-data promo until the Galaxy Nexus comes through or something.

Has the battery life improved since it came out? I remember that a spare or extended battery was de riguer, is that still true with CM7 or some other AOSP rom?

Yes. AOSP is nice, but the battery is still terrible. I don't have an extended battery because I'm able to charge it throughout the day. If you don't have constant access to a charger, get an extended battery or spare batteries. I really have no complaints about the phone aside from the battery. The 4G connectivity could be better, but for the most part it's pretty solid. Definitely needs tinkering though. I have come to absolutely loathe sense.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

BobFromMarketing posted:

The store folks actually are where I heard it.

You got owned.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Also the return window is extended through January, so there's that. :taco:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Just went to the Verizon store. They told me I was not eligible for early upgrade, I could not pay a fee of any sort, and my only options were to purchase the phone for full retail or add a $20 line for 2 years. Adding a line for 2 years would cost me $480 + 300 for the phone or $780 which is more than the phone costs full retail. gently caress that.

They wouldn't let you pay the Early Termination Fee (ETF)? Really?

e: I guess they probably wouldn't let you do this since you intended on continuing service with them.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

No outages at all in LA, either.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

So I'm coming up on my upgrade (I bought the Thunderbolt on a 1yr contract), and I'm debating as to whether the Galaxy Nexus is worth the upgrade. My main concern is that the Nexus is just a marginal upgrade from the Thunderbolt. Is the battery life/performance *that* much better than the Thunderbolt? ICS owns, but CM9 will come soon enough, and I can live without the HD screen.

Has anyone made this switch and can shed some light on this?

edit: the alternative is to give the upgrade to my sister to replace her Droid Pro and take her November upgrade.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

You'll lose your double data if you drop to a 3G device, or so said the promo docs a couple months ago.

I won't lose my unlimited data going from 4G to 3g though, right?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Can someone explain the difference between Applecare+ and Verizon's insurance?

Verizon's looks *way* more expensive ($11/month*22 months=$242) than Applecare+ ($99). Verizon's covers total loss of the phone, including loss or theft, which Apple's does not. Verizon requires you to mail it away, which Apple does not (Apple Store is literally 5 minutes away from me). Verizon's replacement fee is $200 (for the 32GB), while Apple's is $50. Am I missing something here or is Verizon's plan a total rip off?? Short of being mugged or losing the phone (neither of which have happened to me( Please Take Care Of $600 Devices)), is there even a logical circumstance where Verizon's insurance is better?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

If anyone wants these, I bought an Extended Battery and Diztronic case for the Galaxy Nexus that I no longer need. I'll sell them both to one of you goons at cost+shipping, so $45 for both. (The battery goes for $50 retail, but I got this one when it was 50% off). Anyone interested?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

The Droid 4 is getting an update in the future that will unlock that functionality. Patience.

(Source)

Since when have we gone back to using "they promised it!" as advice? Every post that says "they promised a feature" should also have a massive addendum that says "they promise a lot of things that never actually happen". Sup 2011 Motorola promising unlocked bootloaders. Not trying to start an argument, but I want TPNMVZ to understand that promises from android manufacturers are literally worthless. Maybe it'll get world capabilities, maybe it won't, who knows!

Do not buy a phone on what you've been told it will have, buy a phone for the features it has currently. If it wasn't important enough to meet the launch specsheet, do you REALLY think they give a gently caress about some half-assed promise to a very specific and miniscule customer base? They're already planning the Droid 4 HD MAXX, they don't care about phones they released a month ago.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

gwarm01 posted:

I'm looking for some quick advice. We're making the switch over to Verizon but I can't decide on which phone to get my wife. Can anyone give me some input?

There's the Galaxy Nexus which looks sexy and runs ICS, plus it's $79 on Amazon Wireless right now.

Then there's the Razr which also looks sexy, and it only $70.

Finally the Razr Maxx, which apparently has a battery sent from heaven. The catch is that it is $199.

She claims she doesn't really care which phone I pick for her, she just needs a new one. I just don't want to pick one that will end up causing a lot of trouble like her Evo Shift has given her.

So, what are the general pros/cons for these phones? Does anyone have experience with all of them? Any regrets after purchasing one?

I think the general consensus for a phone that will cause the least problems is the iPhone. It has lots of apps, great battery life, and all up-to-date software. The in-store support from Apple Stores is top notch and their Applecare+ warranty is a solid deal. She'll also like the accessories selection.

Buy a phone for your wife, not a phone for you to play around with that your wife uses.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

My sister wants an iPhone. She currently has a piece of poo poo Palm Pixi because she broke her android phone like 5 times and they stopped replacing it. She also has unlimited data, which is useless on a Pixi but will be useful on the iPhone as she watches billions of youtube videos. She used up 6GB/mo on a loving Droid Pro, to put things in perspective. We're on a family plan with 4 smartphones in total, all of them with unlimited data.

Our only options to get her an iPhone are:

1)Use an upgrade, stick her on an individual capped plan
2)Use an upgrade, move us all to the share everything plan
3)Buy the phone at full price

Is that correct?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

Correct but you're forgetting #4

4) buy a used one.

Thanks. She wants the new one but this info might change her mind. We're all hooked on unlimited data and then Verizon pulls the rug out from under us :( Probably worth it to get the full price one, since the overages would be immense.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

So, is restricting the use of the iPhone's personal hotspot feature a violation of that FCC ruling?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

Since it applies to their Block C (700MHz band) license, no.

Does that mean that an LTE iPhone would be though?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

low-key-taco posted:

What's other people's experience with coverage in Southern California? My service sucks pretty much all the time in both Los Angeles and San Diego, but maybe it's my phone (incredible 2) or something. Looking at coverage maps I should be solid.
What parts? I'm all over these two cities and have excellent reception. Solid 3G everywhere except for way up in the hills. North county SD, east county SD, downtown SD and LA, west side LA, and noho. All 4-5 bars, all the time. Maybe 2 bars in palms/culver. I'm on a 4S. My mom used to have an incredible 2 in north county SD and she has zero problems. I think your phone is the issue man.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I'm really hoping Apple steps in here. Why would an iPhone user use Facetime when Skype is free over cell networks? It makes no sense and if Apple let's one of it's apps get shown the door by a carrier like this, it's a pretty amazing change in philosophy. I don't want to say Steve would have never let this fly, but I just don't see how anyone at Apple okayed this.

e: Honestly I think Skype has better quality video chats so it's really not the end of the world (until Microsoft fucks up Skype somehow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

It's not like Apple to let others fragment their products. At least that was always the impression I got. Didn't AT&T try to do the same thing with MMS and Apple told them to gently caress off? Apple likes a consistent user experience and seemingly typically tries to stop arbitrary poo poo like this from taking place. Maybe I just hold them to a higher standard. I probably shouldn't.

• Locked thread