Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mighty Horse posted:

No personal experence but have seen a ton of bad things about them in the Verizon employee forum over at HoFo.

You don't get a job with them. You become an "indipendent contractor" so they can dodge taxes and having to pay healthcare and unemployement insurance. You need to get a Tax ID number, and you are also on the hook to pay your taxes quarterly yourself. You will need to file as a business, since essentually you are. I'm pretty sure it 100% commission.

I have heard you can make a lot of money with them if your very good work a shitload of hours, but that is some shady bullshit right there.

As a former Verizon employee who had to fix the innumerable issues that chucklefucks from Cellular Sales caused for customers, I would advise anyone thinking of working for them to run far, far away. Everything Mighty Horse posted is 100% spot-on from my conversations with them, and on top of that, they practice incredibly shady practices with their customers - anything to close a sale. I can't count how many times they would resell equipment that had been returned as new, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The great part about all of the crying about tiered data is that they're probably going to do the same thing they did back when they switched from ACII to NW pricing - hard cutoff dates on feature/phone pairs. Basically, when they mandated data plans for certain phones, they set it up so that any phone sold/introduced after the cutover date had to have the mandated plan even if the phone was originally not required to have data or if the user had an old data plan (like the old... ugh, what was it, premium plus or whatever)

So everyone that's buying now in hopes of getting grandfathered unlimited - you guys are probably gonna get roped into a tiered plan when you upgrade again, you realize that right?

edit - just buy the phone you want and suck it up, or switch to Sprint and watch them institute tiers a year or two down the line.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

yamdankee posted:

Serewit, that's a good point. So you're saying that we may get away with keeping unlimited data by getting Thunderbolts now, but down the road if we want to upgrade to a Bionic or whatever, simply by activating it, even if we bought it on CL and activated it ourselves, it would automatically rope us in to tiered. You really think that will be the case?

I'm trying not to come off as panicky or whining about Verizon, because I'll never switch carriers. It's just that, to me at least, going from unlimited for years to capped at 2 GB /m for the same price seems, maybe not unfair, but certainly undesirable. I'm not going to go on a tirade against Verizon, or make tons of posts complaining about it, but I would at least like to explore/discuss possible options for keeping unlimited data. I don't see how that hurts anyone.

I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing it, I just wanted to throw out that it's probably not a panacea. Your hypothetical situation is highly likely in my opinion, speaking from my experience working for Verizon.

I just wanted to inject some probable reality into the conversation. Its really the only way they can pull it off, by splitting the baby - everyone gets hosed equally after a certain point, but they can't take away what you already have.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Hed posted:

Does Verizon still limit GPS ability in their phones without the purchase of a monthly service like VZ Navigator? I keep seeing this on less-techy forums and anything in the news about it seems like it's from 2009.

Jesus christ, this will never die. :psyduck:

People have some weird ideas about Verizon, man. I had someone throw a Pre at me when I worked there because he was convinced we were blocking his GPS. He apparently had some issues understanding that GPS doesn't work too well in basements.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Accidentally posted this in the Sprint thread.

Can someone quote me the official Verizon thing saying that tiered data will be in effect the 7th? Or can a Verizon rep on here confirm it?

The only thing I had read about it was that it was rumored. I'm not trying to start a war here or anything, but could this just be a stunt pulled by Verizon who then instates reasonable tiered data? I just want to see what official has been said or is known about it.

I don't work for Verizon but I can confirm that it's a real thing, and the date is correct. It hasn't been officially announced yet so no one that works there can officially confirm it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

1 - No*
2 - Yes

*Unless your company runs a Good server, I think - in which case, you have larger problems, namely that you're using Good.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

KaneOfNod posted:

Thanks. It's a very large professional services firm, so I'd think they're probably running the server, but I'm not certain. I'm under the impression that I can just turn corporate data on and off pretty easily, so I might experiment before 7/7 to see what works. (Given the line of work I'm in, I should probably get to know the finer details of how security is set up on these...)

Is it Exchange or something else? Exchange doesn't need the corporate plan.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

KaneOfNod posted:

My understanding is that it would be accessing an Exchange server via Good for Enterprise.

Ahh, okay. Corporate plan then.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

WP7 is nice, and the Trophy is pretty slick, actually. It's sort of a combination of the best features of iOS and Android. Even has a forums app in development!

I imagine they haven't sold any because... well, I dunno. They're pretty good. I mean, yeah, specs aren't that great but none of the WP7 hardware out now is that great and it won't be until the end of the year. I don't think the lack of sales are hardware-related, though - there's just not a big niche for WP7 right now. Why would average consumer buy one over an iPhone or an Android device? Yeah, it's subjectively 'better', but that's not really a strong position to sell one from.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/07/05/verizon-confirms-unlimited-smartphone-data-plans-to-be-retired-on-july-7th/

New Plans

$10/75MB
$30/2GB
$50/5GB
$80/10GB

Overage $10/1GB

Hadn't heard about the $10/75MB. I forsee that one causing a lot of fun for Verizon employees.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

SpacedOut posted:

$10/75MB is actually a plan that Verizon currently offers. It's for basic phones only, and will remain this way after the 7th.

Whatcha wanna bet that they'll advertise it as "Data plans starting at $10!" and not mention that little detail in the marketing? Anything to drive people into the stores, I suppose.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any price match period after in-store purchases?

That leaked screencap that suggested an iPhone 4 price drop also showed the Thunderbolt as being free. I bought one Thunderbolt a week and a half ago, and another one on Saturday.

The leak could be total bullshit, but if it turns out to be real, is there any way to get some money back if it happens within 14 or 30 days of when I bought the phones?

Generally yes - if nothing else, demand they return the phone then sell it back out to you at the new price and eat the restocking fee. Verizon will only price-match themselves, however, and only in the same channel (ie, you can't get a retail store to match an online price).

Space Butler posted:

Hopefully someone will be able to settle this for me. A week ago, I bought an HTC Incredible 2 that caused me an endless string of problems and never held a charge. After a battery swap that didn't work, the rep told me to bring it in and they'd replace it because it's defective. They replaced the phone and I brought it home. It worked much better, but I've had a whole other slew of issues with it (it intermittedly turning gps on without my consent, 3g being incredibly spotty in areas that even the last phone worked well in, problems syncing with my computer, and more) and I've decided to return it and just get an iPhone so I can be done with it all and get back to phone simplicity. I'm going to pay their restocking fee and just get rid of this thing. Tomorrow will be 7 days, so I'm well within my return window.

My question is, I noticed tonight their return policy says "You are permitted to make one exchange. You may return or exchange wireless devices and accessories purchased from Verizon Wireless within 14 days of purchase. A restocking fee of $35 ($70 for netbooks and tablets) applies to any return or exchange of a wireless device." When the guy replaced my defective phone, was that considered an exchange, and therefore counted as my one exchange? I didn't pay any kind of restocking fee, and he never mentioned waiving any fees, just that he was going to exchange a bad item. Did I, by exchanging my defective phone, screw myself out of getting a new phone at the contract price?

DOA returns don't count against the 1 exchange, so you should be fine.

Mighty Horse posted:

im willing to bet he owes money on it, thats why its still tied up

Yeah, this, 99% chance. Your buddy probably has an outstanding balance with Verizon.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

JayKay posted:

That is all from streaming (MLB at Bat, Amazon MP3, and now Google Music)

It's almost as if streaming services targeted for mobile devices are designed to sip bandwidth, rather than chug! :ohdear: edit - obviously you're personally going to be using a lot more by the end of the month, but 3-4gb after 12 days of high streaming isn't exactly blowing the doors off. I think you're a bit of an edge case. People like your wife are who this is aiming at.

I'm not philosophically opposed to bandwidth caps. I don't really like them, per se, and I think they should have added a lower tier (or just made the entire thing usage-based, $10/gb with discounts if you buy a big bundle in advance), but the hand-wringing by some people here is ridiculous.

vv Yes, $30/5GB would be much more reasonable.

kitten emergency fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 8, 2011

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Professorbx posted:

Ok, for Verizon employee's, totally confused on this one-

I did an assumption of liability on my line today, and I was told that I would be shifting from being in a contract till March 2013 to July 2012 (assumption of liability contracts are apparently all 1 year contracts), yet my upgrade date would still be December 2012.....5 months after my contract is up. Was the lady wrong? How the hell does this work? Couldn't I just in theory walk in a store, cancel and re-sign up that day if I wanted to get a discounted phone?

Things get weird with AoL's sometimes. Your upgrade date is 4 months prior to the end of your contract, but 1 year term won't give you a discount so they're splitting the difference? I don't know why you wouldn't have kept the remainder of your existing agreement. Did you move your line off an existing line into a new one on your own name?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Professorbx posted:

Sorry if I wasn't clear (was way late at night)- I had a 2 year contract that was only 4 months in-the AOL moved it up from having a total (not counting my early upgrade) of 1 year 8 months left on my contract to only having 1 year on my contract left. So my contract will be ending 8 months earlier than before, and 4 months before my early upgrade would have taken effect. I'm just wondering, how is it that my contract can be up for renewal, yet I wouldn't be eligable for an upgrade for another 5 months, even though I would (if I didn't re-sign) be month to month with them if I didn't sign up till my upgrade date?

Ah, VISION, how I don't miss your antics with contract dates... basically, the upgrade discount is a seperate feature that is determined by the start date of your contract and not the end date if that makes any sense. I'm not entirely sure why they put you on a 1 year, though, unless you were a secondary line or were joining FSP... I imagine you could call in and get them to fix it by changing your upgrade date to the new proper one.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

I'm confused; what's the "black market" of having one of those phones? There's a data-plan scheme or something?

Those phones don't require data plans. (Verizon has a similar thing; old Palm devices, certain WinMo 6.x or earlier handsets like the Q are the same way.)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

As an aside, if you want unlimited data still, the old bundled voice+data/messaging plans are still available. They're listed as business plans, but I'm pretty sure they can be put on consumer accounts. Used to be able to, at least.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The Blarghonauts posted:

Sorry but no. The transition to tiered / limited data pricing is across all channels government, business and consumer. If those plan codes aren't locked out of plan changes they will be soon.

If some idiot Verizon employee tries to use them without a really good justification as to why they'll probably get fired and the account would be reverted to a tiered plan.

They should probably get on that, since I can go and activate those plans right now on My Biz.

They should also probably tell whoever my business rep talked to that confirmed that those plans are still okay...

:iiam:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

compton rear end terry posted:

Even if you activate it online by yourself?

Yes, it goes off the ESN

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Pentile is bothering me a lot more than I thought it would. It's very glaring when you put it up next to a iPhone 4 or Atrix. Other than that, pretty nice phone.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Atrix has a pentile display just like the Bionic.

Really? Maybe it's the larger display size then, because the 'pixellation' effect is more prominent on the Bionic, even in a side-by-side comparison.

It looks fine if you hold it out a bit from your face, though.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

This would be perfect if I could put CM on it. I really dislike the navy blue statusbar and stuff.

Also, I can't see how people don't notice the Pentile display but welp :spergin:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

rscott posted:

Those of you with Bionics who think the Pentile screen is particularly egregious are you guys using screen protectors? I put one of the verizon anti glare protectors on my phone and it looked like poo poo afterwards.

I can't imagine anyone putting a case or screen protector on the Bionic, it's already frigging huge. But no, no protector on mine and I notice the pentile.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Verizon Wireless Megathread: Useless, insufferable dicks.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Bobx66 posted:

Sweet god if that data plan promotion ends before the nexus comes out I'm going to throw a fit.

Ask me about my $20/mo unlimited 4G data plan. :smug:

fake edit - god, I hope the gnex comes out sooner rather than later, I'm going to throw this POS AT&T iPhone through the floor if it drops one more call.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

4G just lit up out here. :woop:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Bobx66 posted:

Where do they get off charging $3 for a free feature that they merely implemented, not developed.

Dimes to dollars says that isn't actually the ICS VVM implementation, it's their preexisting shitbox VVM ported over to it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Bobx66 posted:

I blame myself really.

Blame God, or yourself.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

Backup Assistant can be annoying but, again, it's a basic carrier feature. Verizon has advertised the fact that you can transfer contacts for years and it is a decent feature for anyone coming from a non-Android phone. Why isn't this on T-Mobile or AT&T? Because with GSM carriers you can save your address book to the SIM card, so when you pop it in your new phone to activate it your address book would have carried over too. Verizon (aside from 4G) can't do that.

Actually, AT&T has a version of Backup Assistant as well. SIM cards only hold about 250 contacts and don't support all of the fields that you can enter into a contact. It's preloaded on all of their feature phones and all new Android phones (and the gtab 8.9 I believe).

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I got a chance to putz around with a demo GNex last night, and I'm glad that I decided to not go for the RAZR. World of difference in display quality, speed, everything.

Also, the built-in panorama mode on the ICS camera is pretty cool, I hadn't read anything about that before.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Friend of mine at Verizon is saying end of this week for the GNex, they've got stock on-hand but aren't cleared to sell it yet. Who knows, if someone loves you, maybe they'll let you take one and ring it out later (this will never happen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

GNex feels a lot better to me than the Bionic, partially because it's curved and somewhat thinner.

Then again I really hate Moto phones. I dunno what it is, since I really liked the OG Droid. They should have made a keyboard less model.

• Locked thread