Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Jesus that's big... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Soo a thought just came to me:

Verizon said they would grandfather everyone who already has unlimited data. What about if you have unlimited data with a blackberry? I know there seperate "plans" compared to android and iphone data plans :ohdear:

I just wanna make sure i still have unlimited data when the Bionic rolls around. I hastily grabbed my girlfriend's old blackberry to tide me over until than.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

HondaCivet posted:

Unlimited data is the same for all smartphones, at least on Verizon. I have seen carriers differentiate between BlackBerry data and regular smartphone data but Verizon doesn't seem to.

Unless you have that corporate data plan that's $45/mo. No idea how that works.

That's the thing, Verizon uses different verbage on their website between "smartphone" data (iPhone and Android) and "Blackberry" data.

I just dont wanna get screwed over, that's all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Penguissimo posted:

That we know about, at least. The fact that they haven't managed to produce a single LTE phone, combined with the delays on the 4G upgrade for the Xoom, has led to (justified) speculation that Moto is having a lot of trouble with LTE for some reason.

Well there were rumors flying around a little while ago that the reason for the Bionic delay was because Motorola couldn't get the LTE radio and Tegra 2 chipset to play nice.

Seeing as how moto dropped the tegra 2, maybe that was the case? Although i'm not so sure about them upping the screen size to 4.5 inches :negative: seems a little big...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

AppleCobbler posted:

4.5 sounds like a great size if the battery matches it. I swear to God if another phone comes out with a >4" screen and less than 1500 mah battery, I'm going to take hostages.

I would honestly take a phone the size of the original Incredible if it had good battery life and up-to-date specs.

To each his own :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ryokurin posted:

I know there's a few that have 768 and 1gb of memory, but is 512 really all that bad? I'm coming from a 3gs, so I know some things about low memory but people talk like 512 is the kiss of death.

Also, how many apps out there still require internal storage only installation? With all the problems that are still unresolved with the thunderbolt, it seems like the only real alternative is the Charge, but everyone dogs the 2gb of storage as another kiss of death, even though the thunderbolt really only has 4gb with 2.6gb available.

512mb of Ram certainly isn't an issue today (and will likely never be for average users) but for power user's like people on these forums I can see it being an issue.

I would honestly be more concerned about how moto will be able to squeeze future android OS updates onto the phone at this point than app and game performance. HTC is going through that right now with one of their phones (forgot which one).

Basically, it's fine for your average natty lite drinkin beer pong playin broceph :cheers: which is a market that's far more profitable than power user sperglord on internet forum.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

dominator posted:

Well to be fair, power user sperglords probably weren't going to buy the D3 anyways what with the no LTE thing. But still, agreed.

Yeah, that was kinda my point as well (just forgot to put it in there :( ).

LTE question: Is there some sort of website or map with a timeline of when certain cities/areas will get LTE? Im wondering when Long Island will get it (specifically Suffolk County) :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

doctor thodt posted:

Yes, but I love the keyboard.

"You'll never use then keyboard after a month with the phone heh heh"
:goonsay:

Serious time: how is the keyboard on the D3? How would it compare to the keyboards you've used on other phones? Two of my friends are about to make the jump to smartphones and they both have an Env Touch. They told me they absolutely had to have keyboards, and since their not powerusers (I doubt they'll even be close to the new 2GB cap) I told them the Droid 3 was currently the best phone on verizon for what they want.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

doctor thodt posted:

I think most people who say things like that about the physical keyboard aren't heavy texters. I burn through 5k texts a month on average and there's just no substitute for the convenience of a tactile experience (especially because I can text by feel, which you can't do with a touch screen). I'm also pretty proficient with Swype, and I'm still significantly faster with the physical keyboard. I understand that plenty of people can get along just fine without them - as it happens, I can too. But it still makes things a whole lot easier. My last several years on Verizon have consister of a Voyager, an OG Droid and a Droid 2, and the D3 feels like it has the best keyboard of them all. I didn't even remember how great it is to have dedicated numbers until they were at my fingertips again today. If you're absolutely dead-set on a slider, I can't think of any better phone available.

Though granted I only got to use the thing for about 20 minutes so I can't speak to long-term performance or battery usage, but I guess some reviews should be popping up any day now.

This is pretty much the situation their both in. I wouldn't be surprised if they both sent ~4k text a month easily.

I would probably get the D3 myself if it had 4G :negative: my area doesn't even have 4G yet but i want to future-proof myself so im getting a Bionic whenever it launches.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ziir posted:

My sister has a Droid 2 with Verizon and she just got it replaced again, making it like the 8th Droid 2 she's had now. They keep replacing it free of charge so I'm assuming it's something wrong with the phones themselves and I think after two times its just getting ridiculous. She keeps begging them to just give her another phone (different model) but they keep refusing, but they do say she can pay for a new phone at a discounted price.

This sounds like a load of bullshit to me. Is there anything she can do to get a different phone (for free) because at the rate this is going she's gonna go back into the store to get her 9th one in a month.

My girlfriend's Palm Pixi kept breaking last summer and after her 3rd or 4th unit, she got them to agree to send a Blackberry Curve instead of another pixi.

They basically told her she can pick whatever phone that is of equal or lesser value to what she paid for her pixi. The curve was the best "smartphone" they had :v: I would think after EIGHT D2's they would do the same for your sister...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Funny, I was thinking about picking up the Droid 3 instead of the Bionic since I like that it's not going to be gently caress-off huge like the Bionic, plus my Area doesn't have 4G yet and there's no timetable for when it will.

Any comments on the Droid 3's battery life yet?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Right now I'm seeing the Droid 3 for 149.99 on a two-year contract online. Will they have the same prices in-store?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
If you want a "smartphone" that has a good battery, it's either Blackberry or iPhone. I have friends that have iPhone that are seemingly constantly on the thing and they can make it through a day pretty easily.

Im currently on an old Blackberry 8530 and have had it unplugged for 17 hours now and it just hit %20. I used it moderately, mostly facebook and texting/BBM.

Blackberry's have better battery life, but you can't really do anything with them. There glorified "messaging" phones basically. I'd say try and return it and go for the iPhone.

Unfortunately Android phones aren't exactly known for battery life :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Jhonas posted:

I'm in the same boat as Kalibar and I think it is a copout. It's one thing to say "my Android phone only gets 24 - 30 hours while my iPhone could sometimes get up to 2 or 3 days on average," and another thing to have an Android device that is lucky to make it 5 hours on a full charge with minimal use and be bitching about how horrible that is.

If your response to a phone with a super AMOLED plus display and a 1600mA battery getting 5 hours even without the LTE radio turned on is, "welp, Android isn't known for battery life!" then maybe you're a terrible shithammer who should be beaten to death with a bag of petrified pig dicks. Because guess what, that is just not an acceptable answer and that attitude is the reason terrible poo poo like this is allowed to happen. Please stop "just going with it." If it's bad, admit that it's bad. Don't just tell yourself it isn't an iPhone so you better just deal with it.

I am not expecting the best battery life in the game like I had with my iPhone 3GS. I am expecting my phone to last 16 hours or so, especially when I'm hardly ever waking the phone up, screen brightness is always manually set to the lowest setting, I haven't used any minutes, and the 4G radio is shut off. That has proven to be impossible. I have a phone I avoid using that still doesn't make it through a day without more charging.

This is my first Android phone and while it has been a laughably bad experience and I will be trading it in for something else, I am not going to give up on the platform entirely because I am very sure there exists a phone that meets my expectations.

Still can't believe they had the stones to name it the Droid Charge.

I think your confusing yourself with two different people.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

2010 Codiusprime is giddy. I always thought the Epic was the most interesting variation.

Keep the hits coming Verizon, last year's crowd is really impressed with your phone lineup.

Yes because Verizon doesn't have the Droid 3 and Droid X2 with dual core and the upcoming Bionic :jerkbag:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

Haha, were you the guy that got all pissy when I complained about Verizon's line up the last time? Can't remember.

Sorry my opinion offends ya sport. I just think the HTC offerings on other networks are stronger.

drat you Verizon, why does your LTE network have to own so drat hard. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for an upgrade they'll have something that interest me. Me being the keyword.

Edit: And now they've trapped me! I'm not giving up my unlimited plan till they pry it from my greedy little claws.

Edit x2: I'll even give you the Bionic. I think it's going to be a great phone but I don't think MotoNinjaBlur is going to end up being as good as Sense 3.0. Again, all opinion.

Lol no im not :) I see where some people would prefer sense over motoblur, I personally happen to like the build quality of motorola's android offerings.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Fuzz posted:

So how lovely are the new data plans, anyway?

Pretty lovely. I mean $30 for 2 GB of data? That's garbage, especially when their pushing LTE phones so hard.

I was fully expecting 5GB for $30, I don't like caps but I think that would have been acceptable (either that or cap by speed instead) but 2GB is lovely of them.

I kept my unlimited so it doesn't affect me, sucks for new users though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kstatix posted:

Motorola really hosed early adopters of the Xoom as well. I bought one for many reasons, but the number one reasons was for the LTE upgrade. Now there's talk about a Xoom 2. I played with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 today and couldn't help but feel bitterness towards Motorola.

Everyone knew there would be a xoom 2 though...it was almost a given.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Fuzz posted:

The Thunderbolt is still an awesome phone, guys. :colbert:

Not with that God awful 4G battery life it supposedly has.

What's the point of owning a sweet phone like that if your afraid of using the thing because you'll kill the battery so quick?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Will my friend be able to keep his old unlimited data plan if I give him my old DROID to test out? The way Verizon words it makes it sound like they only let you keep it I you upgrade, not if you switch devices.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

tismondo posted:

Well it's a good thing I didn't get my hopes up for Aug 4 TOO much. It seems the Bionic will be coming later, as we mostly feared (despite our simultaneous good hopes) Cnet has just quoted the Moto CEO as saying it's coming in September.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20085055-94/motorola-mobility-ceo-highlights-upcoming-products/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

With any luck THIS will be retracted in half an hour as well!

Yeah I said gently caress it and jumped ship first to a Droid 3, than to a Droid X2. I returned the Droid 3 because the battery life on it was pretty bad. Worse than my OG droid. The battery life on the X2 is fantastic so far though.

My area doesn't have 4G yet. Oh and all those complaints i had about 4.3 inch plus screens being too big? I was wrong. I guess it helps that the X2 is pretty drat thin, but I LOVE the feel of this thing in my hand.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Just out of curiosity, did you remember to disable the GSM radio on the Droid3? It really should be getting better battery life than the X2.

And I'm annoyed at the whole bionic situation. The sad part is, it's STILL probably going to be the only dual core LTE phone until November or later.

The phone situation on Verizon is so terrible right now.

Yeah I disabled the GSM radio. Also did a factory reset. I'm only on my second day with the X2, but I've already seen a MAJOR improvement in my battery life and my usage habits haven't changed between phones.

Any reason why it "should" be getting better battery life than the X2? Is the dual core chip inside the D3 more power-efficient than the Tegra2 inside the X2?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

AppleCobbler posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean? The phone you bought in 2009 is somehow less satisfactory due to when the Bionic is released? Go get a Droid 3.

Some people don't like that it only has 512mb of Ram while other phones being released now usually have more.

Personally I didn't really care, both the Droid 3 and the Dx2 run really smooth. It could cause problems with future software updates though, I believe.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Could be good, could be poo poo...who knows. Maybe moto solved the problem of lovely battery life on LTE phones.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

Do you guys think I could take my X2 into the Verizon store and get a replacement? These screen redraws are loving ridiculous and constant. Pretty much any app I exit out of that I've been using for more than 30 seconds causes a complete redraw. It is absolutely ridiculous that I am getting worse/more redraws on my two month old dual core phone than I was with a similar screen setup on my OG Droid.

Wouldn't hurt i guess. I mean I can't tell you the last time i've seen a screen re-draw on my X2, so maybe your device is hosed up or something.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

It's killing man. I've tried every launcher with so success. I even used Motorola's stock launcher for a while. Will it be a problem if I roll in there running Gingerbread I wonder?

Just tell them you got the update normally if they ask. There supposedly pushing it out this week anyway.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

Cool.

Out of curiosity, what launcher are you running? It seems ADW is horrible for me for some reason. By far the worst redraws.

Stock everything.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

Alright, interesting.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to cut down on the number of screens when using the stock launcher? Also can I put more than four shortcuts at the bottom? I've messed around with it trying to figure these two things out with no luck.

I don't think I should have to use the stock launcher to keep from having redraws but I'm willing to give anything a shot.

I don't think so. I have no problem with only having 4 icons on the bottom, but being able to cut down the number of homescreens would be a nice option to have.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I literally just got the gingerbread update pushed to my phone (droid x2) when I was reading this thread with the awful app ....weird.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Scipiotik posted:

Verizon needs to get a new Superphone out ASAP if they are going to snag any upgrading OG droid early adopters before their final NE2 kicks in (I think OG droid people should still have their final one coming at the beginning of September).

That's Bionic territory. Verizon's fine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Absolutely nothing shocking here at all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

yamdankee posted:

I was complaining before about bad signal in my new house. I figured I might as well call VZW and see what they would say to do, and they said I have 6 cell towers very close to my house and that I should be getting very good signal. They said to call *228, send, then option 2 as it reprovisions something, couldn't quite make it out. Has anyone ever done this? Did it help you?

Sometimes it does, but more often than not it wont. Wireless company's only guarantee a working signal outdoors anyway.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

yellowjournalism posted:

So, I'm leaving Verizon so I can upgrade my SERO line and was about to just cancel and pony up the ETF, until I noticed that Verizon has capped all their new plans at 2GB, and I have the old unlimited data plan.

Is it possible/worth it to try to sell my account? Is transferring plans (liability?) to someone else still possible? I have 3 months left on the contract if that matters.

Im pretty sure I read in this thread that transferring the liability triggers the data plan to get knocked down to 2 gigs automatically.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

yellowjournalism posted:

Ok so now that I'm just trying to get out, can I bust this poo poo to get out of ETF?

Also, I just paid my bill on the 1st (actually have not been using ANY of my verizon service for 2 months since my phone broke and I haven't had time to replace it) and haven't used any minutes or datas or anythings at all. Is there any chance they could pro-rate me, or will they just consider me a lost cause?

No, they'll credit your bill the extra 3 cents instead of letting you go without an ETF. There was actually an internal memo posted up on one of those enthusiast sites about this a month or two ago.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Blarghonauts posted:

You can join the military.

If you survive boot camp you can verbally provide name of commanding officer and location of deployment. You can also suspend service for up to 24 months versus the normal maximum suspend time of 90 days and can disconnect at any time with no ETF.

We need you on that wall.

:golfclap: well done.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

yellowjournalism posted:

Uh I'm technically a veteran, does that count :iamafag:

My Droid 2 is definitely bricked for good. It's an R2D2 edition, however, not sure if there's any value to the externals if someone wants to drop a new mainboard in. Anyway bye bye VZ, it was fun.

You might wanna throw that up on ebay anyway or something. Never know what kind of freak will buy it just to do a case swap.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ejstheman posted:

My friend just randomly found a new-looking iPhone, marked Verizon, on the ground. Normally, when I find a phone, I call random people from the address book, until I get a hold of someone who has an alternate way to get in touch with the owner of the phone. Then, I contact the owner and say "hey, come get your phone." Unfortunately, this particular phone has a password on it, so I can't do that. I tried to call Verizon, but you have to enter your Verizon Wireless number or they won't even talk to you. If you had an iPhone and someone found it, what would you want them to do to help you get it back? I really don't know how to proceed, here. It's seriously in mint condition and the battery's even charged, so I'm assuming the owner really really wants it back right about now.

poo poo, this just made me re-think having a pin lock on my droid.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

sadus posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but why don't phones use standard rechargeable AA batteries? It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to fit one in, i.e. how the Droid X is thick just on one end. 2700 mah batteries AA's are cheap and it'd be even easier to have spares. I'm curious if its an electrical issue or if they just want to keep being able to charge exorbitant fees for chargers and batteries with half the power?

I can hear every phone manufacturer cry about their form factors as they read this post.

Do you realize how much uglier that would make smartphones?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just to be sure, a transfer of liability DOES knock you down to the 2GB cap right?

My friend wants to keep his unlimited data but also go under his own plan ( he is under his sisters plan at the moment) he called Verizon and they told him once he gets his new phone that they can do a transfer of liability and set him up under his own plan.

I thought I read in this thread that it would automatically take his unlimited data away though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Professorbx posted:

It depends. I did a transfer last month-there was a pause while they verified me by checking my water bill. The first person said yes and did it, the second person said that was not the case and put unlimited back on. So, I still have an unlimited plan even after transfer.

So it's just a case of finding someone who is willing to keep your unlimited plan while you transfer?

• Locked thread