Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah, it seems that after the first year of a warranty, keeping insurance is just a waste of money due to the deductible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

yamdankee posted:

Serewit, that's a good point. So you're saying that we may get away with keeping unlimited data by getting Thunderbolts now, but down the road if we want to upgrade to a Bionic or whatever, simply by activating it, even if we bought it on CL and activated it ourselves, it would automatically rope us in to tiered. You really think that will be the case?

I'm trying not to come off as panicky or whining about Verizon, because I'll never switch carriers. It's just that, to me at least, going from unlimited for years to capped at 2 GB /m for the same price seems, maybe not unfair, but certainly undesirable. I'm not going to go on a tirade against Verizon, or make tons of posts complaining about it, but I would at least like to explore/discuss possible options for keeping unlimited data. I don't see how that hurts anyone.

Sprint did this with its smartphone fee. I had to get a replacement Palm Pre off craigslist after mine broke, and when I activated the replacement phone the $10/mo smartphone fee was added to my account. I was able to talk to a rep who waived the fee because it was an identical phone, but that was a one time only thing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm on vacation with my parents and just tried out Verizon's 3g hotspot for the first time on my dad's Droid X. I turned it on, then on his laptop clicked through the agreement and hit ok. However, it seems we can't get to [url]https://[/url] sites now, getting a Error 500 in firefox. PDANet on my evo3d (roaming onto verizon's nearby tower) or on his droid X works fine though. What gives?

Edit-solved! Had to turn on a wireless password on the phone's hotspot, some sort of weird security thing I guess.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 30, 2011

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My dad just got back from a trip to Taiwan last week, and his mobile data no longer works at all despite being enabled on his Android phone (casio gzone I think). I turned airplane mode on/off, but no luck - any idea what could be causing this?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thanks, that did the trick.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My dad mentioned to me today that his current phone is broken and in repairs and that he's really sick of it anyways. He's apparently not due an upgrade until April. How much would it cost to just buy out his contract? I'd pressure him to get a razor max or max HD depending on the pricing of them, as battery life and talk time are the two most important things.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Athenry posted:

http://www.myrateplan.com/contract_termination_fees/

So a lot, but probably less than canceling the contract and starting up a new one somewhere.

Although, if they'd let you there's got to be a break point where the ETF + discount is less than a phone outright.

Yeah, I've told him to go in and ask. I saw that amazon is selling Razr Maxxs for a penny, so even if the ETF is $100-150 I think it's well worth it, considering he currently has a refurb gshock thing that is terrible.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Since both the razr maxx and m are free on Amazon, which is better? Is the battery life of the m at all comparable?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking - I'd prefer the larger screen, but I think the original Maxx vs M will be close enough in battery life to justify having better support & future upgrades. I'm trying to talk my mom into getting one as well, as she's still using an Incredible 2, but if she doesn't want to I may just have her order one for a penny, keep the I2, and ebay the new in box Razr M.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm looking to join my mom's verizon account (I'd be cancelling my Sprint one) and would like to get a phone from amazon since it's cheaper. My mom refuses to do any online account changes or allow me access to her account, and wants to do this in a store. If I want to keep my number, will I need to go to the store, switch my account over, then order the Max HD and wait several days for it to arrive?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

wandler20 posted:

Any phones worth waiting for on Verizon or should I grab the RAZR Maxx HD? Battery life is pretty important to me.

I racked my mind for a while between the Maxx HD and the Note 2 and ended up going with the Note 2. Extra $50, bit less battery, but much better specs.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The last week or so, my note 2 won't charge overnight, and there is always an error in the morning from Verizon backup assist about the phone number being changed. Is there any way to fix this beyond rooting? I think it's clear this program is wakelocking the phone but Android doesn't have any feature in aware of to kill wakelocking processes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

big mean giraffe posted:

Why don't you disable the app?

How?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

XIII posted:

Well, poo poo. I had planned to just buy one outright, but this might be work looking into. Looking on the website, it says customers of 7+ months must have good payment history for the last 6 months. I've been a month behind for, like, two years, but I've never missed a payment or had my service suspended. Would that be an issue? (Typing this makes me guess I should go ahead and pay up to current, since I'm finally in a financial place that I can; I just haven't been in a situation to do so until a few months ago)

My Note 2 has a cracked screen but works fine, I take it I won't qualify for the trade-in?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My wife's currently on Sprint and lost her iphone. It's going to cost more for the deductible to replace the stupid thing than the phone is worth, and I'm trying to convince her to join my family's Verizon plan. I see there's a $150 credit for porting over a line - would this be available to her even if she were to join an already existing plan?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm still on the 2 year contract on my Galaxy Note 2 but would like to get a Droid Turbo. Instead of waiting 2 more months could I just pay a bit to upgrade early? How would I find out how much it costs?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the expectation for S6 battery life? I'm about to get an upgrade available and the Turbo seems to dominate that category.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I know I've asked this before but I think this weekend I'm finally upgrading: Droid Turbo is still best in class for battery life, right? It's all I care about.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Snappy phone but losing the settings button is very weird.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm going to bring my wife over to Verizon , on an account I also share w/ my mom. I believe my mom signed onto an edge plan for no reason and got a s5, I did the upfront $200 2yr plan for my droid turbo. We have a 6gb shared plan.
When my wife adds her line, should we be doing edge or the 2yr for her iphone 6? I don't trust the edge plan at all.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

6gb ME gives you 25 dollars a month per edge line in credits. A 16 GB Iphone 6 is like 27.08 per month.

So you'd end up paying under 50 dollars total for the full retail of the phone over 2 years. On a 2 year contract you are still paying the 40 dollar upgrade fee on top of the 199.99.

If you got the 64gb iphone 6 you'd be paying, after the credit, 149.76 out of pocket over 2 years. The 2 year contract price is 299.99 + 40 upgrade fee.

How much you would save doing edge vs a 2 year contract price. (Must be on ME 6gb or greater)
16gb Iphone 6 - 190.07
64gb Iphone 6 - 190.23

It is hard to gauge what your edge payment was with the turbo. I do know with edge when they were at the max price were 24.99. So you would have actually made a profit upgrading to a turbo. Now they are like 20.83 for the 32 gb one. So you would have been paid 4.17 cents each month (25 dollar credit - the edge payment of 20.83). You would have made a profit of 100 dollars from this.

The way this is possible is Verizon doesn't make any profit on devices. We make money on the service. Getting people into phones helps ensure they stay in our service.

Thanks, there's just so much obfuscation and it's absurd.

Like if it's just a simple thing of line costs 40 bucks a month you can do
40*24+200 =1160 over two years
Vs
(40-25+27)*24 = 1008 over two years on edge
So that's not hard to figure at all.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok so, my 1.3 year old droid turbo appears to have a LCD leak (http://i.imgur.com/mZZEOfR.jpg) making it completely useless. With that in mind, I can either go back to my old galaxy note 2 that's slow as hell, or upgrade.

Right now I'm on a 3 line plan w/ my wife and mom, and our data fluctuates wildly. We're on the 6gb plan that got upgraded to 10gb for free, and I used to hit 10gb all the time but haven't lately, but I'd like to stay on that plan.

As to my phone - I signed a 2 year contract when I got the turbo at best buy. Where can I see what it costs to break/buy out the contract on the website? If it's reasonably cheap I could just get a new phone on their new installment plans instead of waiting.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 12, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It would be a shame of that screen broke since you know they would have to replace it for free...

Nope, I'm the lucky guy who's excluded from that program. Verizon was out of stock when I went to buy it, best buy only had the one color, and wouldn't you know, that screen replacement program doesn't cover ballistic nylon blue from best buy (what I have). Fantastic.

Since I bought it at BB is there any way to see the remaining buyout on the contract? I need to get a sim card today and go to a verizon store, should I just be heading to BB instead?

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 12, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon doesn't do buy outs of two year contracts. You can't pay a cash amount to buy it out.

You can go to a store and see if there are early upgrade options. That being said, most early upgrade options are with phone trade in, and I'd def be hesitant to say they'll do a phone trade if the phone you have is defective.

Sometimes managers will offer an early upgrade to payment plan with adding a line, but that's both subjective to them and to whether you're willing to do that.

Alternatively, a Nexus 5x is $220 from Fi, and you can then cancel Fi service?

That makes very little sense.

So to break it down:
I signed a 2 year contract w/ best buy for verizon carrier in april of 2015, ending april 2017. This subsidized the purchase of my phone.
If I want to switch to another carrier, that's fine, but I'll pay the remainder of the pro-rated subsidy immediately.
If I want to switch to another plan on verizon (i.e. buy a phone from them on installment and use the bring your own device plan) I can't?
If I want to switch back to my old ancient phone..that's ok? Then I wait til next may and switch to the bring your own device plan?
If I want to buy a $150 amazon motorola 4g phone and activate it...that's ok? Then I wait til next may and switch to the bring your own device plan?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wickerman posted:

Depending on how attached to that particular phone you are, used Turbos can be had on Swappa for 160-180. A replacement LCD from China is about 152 on eBay, and they aren't hard to install at all.

Do you want a new device, or do you just want a working phone similar/the same as what you have?

Well, I went in to the store and they immediately offered to warranty exchange it without me asking. So I'm kind of rolling the dice here - maybe they loosened their policy? Otherwise I'll end up having a big fight with them in a few months after they receive my returned phone and suddenly decide not to cover it. I took a picture of the warranty return receipt just for safekeeping.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm missing a step somehow on activating my phone and don't know what to do.

Two days ago: took droid turbo to verizon, they shipped me a replacement turbo and put a sim card in my old note 2 and activated that one.
Today: got new droid turbo . took sim from old one, popped it into new one. Phone tells me i'm using my old number. Ithink great. except it won't work. What do i need to do here. I don't want to have to make another trip to verizon

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So 2 years ago I had the option of several plans and chose to get a phone subsidy + normal plan. I'm now eligible for an upgrade and whatnot, and I"m on a family plan with some other family members, both of whom did the installment plan for phones and got $25/mo off their line access fee. How can I knock that $25 off my $40? I don't really need to upgrade but would even buy a phone and return it if I need to.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Post what plan you have. Very likely you can get the $25 off by calling care and requisite it, no phone purchase needed.

All new plans going forward auto give the discount (its $20 off on the new plans instead of $25). So once you get whatever discount, you got it going forward.

The 10GB for 80/mo plan, shared with two other lines. So I should just call and ask? Sounds like I should've done this a few months ago.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, def call and ask and they should be able to move it right down.

they refused and claimed it only works with a device. I asked about my wife's that the payment plan ends on in two months and they claimed hers would go back up to 40/mo. which I know is wrong because my mom's device is paid off and kept the discount

I don't believe them for a second and am going to keep calling in but man that's annoying

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

If they don't fix it by tomorrow let me know and I'll see how else to get it.

2nd try : they tried to sell me on a 16gb plan instead because apparently line access is $20/mo on the new plans? What a mess.

I'll pm you tomorrow if you're up for helping , thanks a bunch.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, PM me name and cell tomorrow, I'll fix it.

fyi everyone duckman2008 is the raddest dude ever

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
what's the best way to get a cell phone booster without paying for one? Verizon drops a lot in our house and my wife's always dropping calls

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Right now I'm on a plan with my wife and mom, and am thinking about adding my friend.

Current plan : 10 gb more everything. Looking at the bill, it's $80/mo for the 10gb plan, then $15/mo per our 3 phones as each of us are out of contract and have no device payments. So $125, plus another $6 for verizon surcharges and $11 in taxes.

If I added my friend and went to unlimited? that's what he wants to get and I'd want that too), what would the cost be? 4 smartphones. It seems like it's $180 which is just about the same as what we're paying right now, so do we come out ahead since we won't have to worry about going over data anymore?

edit: The 'hotspot' is capped at 600 kbps. Is that for any hotspotting from any phone, or is that for a separate device hotspot speed? It's useless at 600 kbps

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
oh, the autopay discount is per line? that helps. is there a way to have the billing done to multiple places like sprint used to, so my friend wasn't stuck trying to send money to us?

basically for 8/line more (so like 10 after tax) I wouldn't have to worry about overages and could actually stream.

• Locked thread