Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."
Need someone who works for Verizon or is very familiar with account transfers to answer this one. Basically a couple of years ago I got an account with Verizon, and then a few months later the company I work for added my phone to their corporate account. It's been this way for the past couple years.

In January of this year I was issued a Vortex when my phone took a dump, but somehow they got these without a data plan (how the gently caress did they do this? I don't know). Last month one of my colleagues managed to rack up around $500 in charges, at which point the company decided issuing smartphones without data plans was maybe a bad idea. Also our IT staff says they cannot secure these phones (translation: we can't lock them down the way we want to.) The phones they want to issue us now are these (Samsung Haven for those who don't want to follow the link, basically granny's 1st phone).

I realize the Vortex is not the best of smartphones, but I have really grown to like having a smartphone over the past few months. The only way I see to keep it is to take the account back and just pay for it myself. The problem is I don't think my company will let me out from under their thumb. I will find out tomorrow one way or the other.

So my question is, can I do an Assumption of Liability and transfer the phone & number back to my control on my own, without my company being involved? The online rep I talked to said yes, but I suspect she may not know all the details involving corporate plans (she did admit as much). My other option would be to start a new account with Verizon on my own and then just turn my current phone in and tell them to shove it, but then I would lose my number.

I think tomorrow is going to be very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

So am I right in thinking that the prices for nearly new phones that people sell on ebay/craigslist/etc. is probably going to go up since there's going to be high demand from people that want to keep their unlimited data but not pay full unsubsidized pricing? My upgrade wasn't supposed to be until February of next year, looks like that's going out the window :negative:

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

I had a Charge before my S3, and that thing runs circles around the TB for battery even with Gingerbread. The TB's battery is a very special kind of awful.

I still have a Charge (though not for much longer!) and the battery still sucks. BTW, where's the ICS update for the Charge? :downs:

• Locked thread