Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have a grandfathered unlimited dataplan. I live in the middle of Chicago where I'm assuming I can get a good 4G signal at my house. Would dropping my home internet and using tethering on a 4G phone be a bad idea or does 4G = go to town?

Basically, if I use 30+ gigs like that screenshot every month will they get pissed, or if it's all 4G will they not care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

soru posted:

I just did the LetsTalk thing, and they had an option for "Keep your current data plan" that I selected.

Looks like their system makes you pay tax on the pre-coupon price or something, since it was $53. Weird. But still cheaper overall.

I'm a little hesitant about this because it says VIEW DETAILS FOR IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER with that option and then shows:

quote:

If you do not currently have a Verizon Wireless data feature, your current data feature is no longer supported by Verizon Wireless, or your current data feature is not compatible with the new phone you have selected, we will automatically provision the 2GB Data Package for $30.00/month on your line of service.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/nce0u/3g_to_4g_100_off_device_promotion_for_midwest/

For anybody in Chicago, possibly more of the Midwest, and possibly anywhere if you get a good CSR, you can get $100 off beyond your NE2 discount.

This worked for me both asking if I could order through the phone from the CSR, and in stores (though the first store I called said they wouldn't be able to). $300 nexus minus $100 minus $30 for my last NE2 credit = $170, not bad at all.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Looks like there is/was another 4G outage in some places today - if you call and are nice, you might be able to get a $25 credit. When I asked nicely and mentioned the outage last week and today (for me in Chicago), the second rep I talked to was happy to give me a credit.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Apparently 3G phones are fine, but if you have a 4G phone you can't even get 3G service.

Two weeks with my nexus and two outages :(

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Apparently 3G phones are fine, but if you have a 4G phone you can't even get 3G service.

Two weeks with my nexus and two outages :(

This applied to me before (no service at all with a 4G phone) but just now I seem to have gotten back 3G service only working fine. :confused: who knows at this point.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I did it through *611.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Meldonox posted:

How does one ask for that anyway? Just, like, "Hey my service hasn't been working today and I pay an awful lot for telephones please give me money"?

I asked nicely, something like "I'm calling about getting a service credit for the 4G outages last week and today", mentioned that I wasn't able to text or do anything but voice calls each time, that I had tried pulling the battery and SIM card both times (this is all their troubleshooting is), and that I had only had the phone for a couple weeks.

The second rep I talked to was just going to give me a per-day credit, but after I mentioned someone else getting a $25 credit (read that figure on the web somewhere searching about outages) and made some small talk she said she'd give me a $25 credit and apologized for the outages.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

tronik posted:

I think the trick is that if you don't get what you want with the current rep, call call again. When upgrading to my GNex I had two reps tell me I couldn't use my early upgrade to get such a new phone, but the third rep put the order through no problem. Verizon is called Big Red for a reason...they are a HUGE and incredibly disjointed organization, even when it comes to sales/tech support.

Bottom line: Keep calling/escalating until you get what you want.

This, it was my second rep that gave me the credit. First one wanted to do a bunch of troubleshooting.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Anyone else have trouble with a Galaxy Nexus and the USB port charging issue due to alleged 'water damage' and/or corrosion? Any luck getting it repaired either by Verizon without the $300 fee, or through Samsung directly?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I must be the only one unhappy with Verizon customer service. Since July I've been dealing with their shenanigans after my Galaxy Nexus's usb port died and they blamed in on water damage due to my usage from some microscopic pictures of corrosion inside.

Despite months of dealing with them and Samsung escalated directly and together in a conference call, nobody was willing to budge on it being anything other than my fault (despite plenty of evidence out there like http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=23789 and reports of it being serviced under warranty in other countries).

It took literally months because every time I called, all I would get was "you have a callback scheduled x days from now, there's nothing I can do" and inevitably nobody would call back and the cycle would repeat.

I finally got them to agree to refund the $300 damaged device fee (more than it would cost to just buy a new Nexus!) if I returned the replacement Nexus they sent me. It arrived to them a month ago on Oct 1st, and they immediately lost it in the warehouse and/or got it mixed up with somebody else's Droid X. So, now I'm dealing with the same cycle of "we have a callback scheduled to follow up x days from now" and no call ever comes. One rep was able to resubmit all the paperwork and insisted she would follow up, but same thing happens.

TL;DR ffffffffffffffffffffff

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

mrchina posted:

Well I transferred the line, didn't get hosed, and the other guy kept unlimited data...

How much did you sell for, out of curiosity?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

I'm having a bit of an issue. My bill is coming up on the 28th and I currently have a $1,200 charge because they still haven't processed my returned phone after a warranty replacement that I sent in 3 weeks ago.

I've been calling every single day asking if they've received it and the CSR usually can't even pull up tracking. I was informed when I was shipping the phone back that I could print out a smartpost label from the website and bring the package to USPS instead of Fedex, since the nearest Fedex place is an hour away from where I live.

Is it normal for them to not have tracking whatsoever on smartpost shipments? What is the turn around time on them checking out warranties? This is really frustrating, I have 3 other family members on my family plan and I can't really afford myself to have my phone shut off. If I had known it was going to turn into a nightmare like this I would've just dealt with the screen problem on my Gnex instead of trying to have it fixed.

I had to deal with similar poo poo returning my gnex (obligatory gently caress Samsung). Verizon got it and promptly lost it in their warehouse and/or got it mixed up with someone else's Droid X or some poo poo.

I had to call them non stop for a month, each time getting put off a couple more days. Finally some CSR who had their poo poo together just gave me my refund, after all the paperwork had been resubmitted to the warehouse like three times. I had a tracking number too, since the return they gave me was fedex. Maybe just keep calling back and complaining enough until you get a responsive CSR? That seems to make all the difference with Verizon, in my experience at least.

tl;dr gently caress Verizon too

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I'd rather go through motorola than verizon. With Verizon you are going to get a refurb swap whereas motorola will actually repair the device and send it back to you. Also, if Verizon determines that whatever they get shouldn't be covered under warranty, they are going to autocharge like $350 for the device replacement.

I agree - definitely go through Motorola if you can.

Verizon will go over your phone with an extremely fine tooth comb looking for microscopic blemishes or problems (that could even be completely unrelated to the issue you are having) and if they find any, blammo $300 charge to your account.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I'm on unlimited using anywhere from 50-100 gigs/mo of 4G for a couple years now no trouble.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

My RAZR M is not long for this world. The back is starting to bulge from the battery getting crazy hot and stretching the case, it doesn't have as much battery life, the screen is burned in as gently caress, etc. It's been a great little phone for almost 2 years now, but it looks like it's almost time to move forward.

I have unlimited data that I need to keep, and I need to be able to use FoxFi to tether because my phone's hotspot = my home internet.

What are my options for android phones for full-price purchases now? Is anything global SIM swappable like the iphone 5? Does the kitkat update make FoxFi stop working (along with it sounds like everything else)?

edit: or can an iphone 5 be jailbroken to tether too?

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 3, 2014

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

FoxFi has worked fine, unrooted, for tethering over wireless with my RAZR M - but I haven't updated to kitkat yet, which I did read some stuff about blocking wireless tethering.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Anyone had luck selling an unlimited data line on an account that has shared minutes? Do you have to sell the whole account or can you sell single lines?

I have an account with one smartphone that has unlimited data, and two basic $9.99/mo lines (for my parents) with contracts expiring 10/14 and 05/15. Nationwide 700 plan, total cost after fees and everything ends up being like $130/mo.

Is it possible to sell just the unlimited line? How would someone else pick that line up if they can't get a new Nationwide plan anymore?

edit: I called Verizon and naturally got two conflicting answers.

The first rep I spoke to said that any Assumption of Liability process causes unlimited to drop, period.

The second rep (I called the AOL department direct this time) says that someone assuming liability can work with keeping unlimited just fine, in multiple ways:

- over my whole account, keeping everything the same.

- over my smartphone line only, for someone with no Verizon account. They would end up with an account with my unlimited smartphone line on a Nationwide 700 plan (the rep said it's "hit or miss" trying to change the minutes and texting plans, sometimes it works and sometimes it gives them an error, but nothing that would kill the unlimited data) and I'd be left with a Nationwide 700 plan with the two $9.99/mo lines.

- over my smartphone line only, for someone with an existing Verizon account. They would be apparently be able to add my smartphone unlimited line to their account, even if they currently have shared data/minutes - the unlimited line would have a separate minute plan as well as the separate data plan, I guess they have an individual 300 minute plan that can be used. Again, I'd be left with a Nationwide 700 plan with the two $9.99/mo lines.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 15, 2014

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

I wonder what'll be the next screw they'll turn on unlimited users, other than to just say "no, you can't have that anymore."

Can they just straight up increase prices on anything? I have an account with one smartphone+unlimited and two dumbphone lines for my parents, and due to dumb price stuff like having to pay $10/mo for 1000 texts even with a govt employee discount I pay ~$130/mo. It's already expensive enough that it's almost not worth it...

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I thought that loophole was fixed?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Are there ever going to be any quality small phones for Verizon like the Xperia compacts? I miss the size of my RAZR M...

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Just got my Pixel, coming from a G3. This is a sweet phone.

A trick for grandfathered unlimited folks like me to tether without rooting or anything: download the 'network signal refresher' app, and right after you trigger a refresh turn on the hotspot. It will bypass the carrier hotspot check and enable the hotspot, and when the refresh is done, boom tether away.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I had the same lack of credit and called. When it shows up, apparently it will show up retroactively? (4 months in = the first 4 credits showing up at once)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I used to get 20-30, now I get about 4 down (downtown Chicago, old grandfathered unlimited plan, Pixel phone).

• Locked thread