Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

bull3964 posted:

I know people say that, but this is the first phone outside of the Nexus One (and of course Nexus S) that has gotten gingerbread in the US.

So, yay moto?
Less yay moto more boo everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

Kyrosiris posted:

Now if only they'd get an LTE handset with a keyboard.

Why oh why isn't the Droid 3 LTE? :cry:
:ssh: It might be, it does have a SIM slot

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

chupacabraTERROR posted:

If this has a locked bootloader, I really hope it flops.
A locked bootloader isn't a deal breaker for anyone but huge phone nerds, if it is a good phone it will sell boatloads.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

Kim Jong Il posted:

Sorry to jump in as someone who doesn't know anything about this topic, but when are good 4G phones expected to be released?
Probably early August for the Bionic?

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

Penguissimo posted:

And then maybe the Targa at some point after that, unless it turns out to not have 4G.

Unfortunately the roadmap on 4G phones is pretty fuzzy right now.
Targa is the redesigned Bionic, at least thats my understanding of it.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

kensei posted:

Anyone have any experience or opinion on the Motorola Droid Pro? My wife wants a droid with a keyboard that is not too huge, and that seems like an option.
I think she'd be better off waiting for the Droid 3 in a couple weeks.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

volatile bowels posted:

So I just got a thunderbolt today. Are there any reccommended hacks I should do? Do the custom roms work well with 4g? Also, I just read how the Bionic is supposedly going to be released in a couple weeks. Does anyone know if the form factor is more like the Thunderbolt or the X2? The x2 just seemed to large for a phone. I'm wondering if I should return the Tbolt in 14 days for the bionic if it's going to be coming out
Bionic isn't going to be out soon, not even being user tested yet.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

PirateDentist posted:

It's kind of annoying how the conversation is always "Thunderbolt or Charge?!" it seems that the Revolution is just forgotten about by nearly everyone. I like mine, besides some odd 4G connection issues now and then it's fine. No real problems with the battery life either, I have a spare one and the desktop dock. I just swap it out if it gets low.
The Bing thing turns some people off I think

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for a Droid 4 with LTE, a good keyboard like the D2G, and stock Android (either Gingerbread or ICS if it's out by then).

I can dream, can't I? :ohdear:
Yeah I think they really hosed up not making the D3 an LTE phone, there really isn't a reason they couldn't have.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

bull3964 posted:

It looks like the Droid Bionic may have just cleared the FCC. This lends credence to the possible July 28th launch date.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-bionic-clears-fcc
I think its still going to be early August, it is just now entering user trials and that typically takes a bit over a month

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

Kyrosiris posted:

Everything I've heard says 512MB.
This is correct.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

512mb of Ram certainly isn't an issue today (and will likely never be for average users) but for power user's like people on these forums I can see it being an issue.

I would honestly be more concerned about how moto will be able to squeeze future android OS updates onto the phone at this point than app and game performance. HTC is going through that right now with one of their phones (forgot which one).

Basically, it's fine for your average natty lite drinkin beer pong playin broceph :cheers: which is a market that's far more profitable than power user sperglord on internet forum.
Well to be fair, power user sperglords probably weren't going to buy the D3 anyways what with the no LTE thing. But still, agreed.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

bull3964 posted:

I think it will be.

Really, just watch out for Droid 3 reviews right now. The Bionic is going to be using the same (or virtually same) SoC and it will be the same version of new blur. So far from what I've seen the initial impressions of the Droid 3 with new blur are really good. It's supposed to be very fast and minimally invasive.

So, if the Droid 3 ends up being good, the Bionic should as well since it's nearly the same phone, just minus the keyboard and plus the LTE radio.
The blur on the D3 is very fast, minimally invasive and very slick looking. Also the keyboard is really really nice.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

bull3964 posted:

Here's another sign that the Bionic may be very close to release, Netflix has added support for it (along with the Droid 3.)
I dunno about that, user trial still hasn't started for it and those usually go for a month or so? I guess since its so similar to the D3/Atrix they could shorten the testing to two weeks maybe? That would be a pretty big mistake, especially with it being their first LTE phone.

dominator fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 20, 2011

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure why you saying it isn't in user trials, there are certainly people on howardforums that have been using the phone for weeks.
Because I'm supposed to be in the trial and don't have my phone yet :mad:

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

How does a person get into user trials? I have always wondered.
As far as I am aware you have to know somebody at the company and be sponsored. At least thats how it goes at Motorola.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

Scipiotik posted:

Assuming Bionic launches the first week of September that is somewhat true, but the NE2 will probably be kicking in when, Sept. 6th?
The Bionic will probably be launching that first week of September, yeah.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

AppleCobbler posted:

then again, that battery :allears:
It'll last a full 24 hours with minimal usage

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

AppleCobbler posted:

I'm talking about the Bionic's 1930mah fatbatt
Yes I know.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

bull3964 posted:

I'll take a somewhat chunkier phone if it actually lasts.
Its no bigger/heavier than an X

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

doctor thodt posted:

So it's essentially just a Bionic with a modestly-better display and more resilient body (possibly running ICS)?
Its going to be really thin and also have a non-removable battery :(

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

doctor thodt posted:

What the hell, seriously? Nevermind, dealbreaker :(
Well he's led me wrong before but thats what my buddy at Moto said. Its going to be so thin they couldn't put a removable battery in there or something like that.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........
I bet it was a rogue Xyboard

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

Ciabatta posted:

Do carriers ever even release sales numbers? I can't imagine we're ever going to get confirmation that a total of 0 Xyboards have sold.
Pfft they'll sell at least 10

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

Thoom posted:

I saw one of the guys on The Verge's podcast waving one around, but that was probably a review unit. On the other hand, if they use Samsung's reporting method, that counts as a unit shipped!
The 8.2 is a really nice size and the hardware is pretty decent, unfortunately they are priced/named stupidly.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

bull3964 posted:

Looks like the Bionic us getting a second significant update to data connectivity already.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/20/here-is-the-changelog-for-the-mystery-droid-bionic-5-9-901-update/
I still haven't gotten 893 :(

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........
I'm back up on LTE (Chicago)

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

red19fire posted:

I've had a Droid X for 2 years or so, and I think it's hitting the end of its life. A few months ago the SD card died, necessitating a replacement and factory reset, and since then it seems slower overall, and the battery loses power much faster.

I was thinking about upgrading to the Droid 2 or something similar, and I figure I could save money by getting a used one from ebay, since I'm on a family plan and don't have any upgrades.

What would the process be like to go this route? Is it like the factory reset, where you just call a number and the phone sets itself up? Do I have to swap out a SIM card?
The Droid 2 wouldn't really be an upgrade as much as a side-grade, but you can do it all online now under Activate or Switch Device

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

bull3964 posted:

So, apparently Verizon has a device coming out in April called "DROID Fighter."

Now that is some confusing and contradictory branding. I can see the conversation now. It's like an Abbott and Costello routine.

Person A: "I'm going to get the DROID Fighter."
Person B: "Is that a Windows Phone?"
Person A: "No, it's android, it's the DROID Fighter."
Person B: "Oh, so AT&T is coming out with their own branded line of Android phones."
Person A: *hangs head*
Its a bad name but it fits well with their insane commercials that don't tell you anything about the phone

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

Auron posted:

Quick question before I pull the trigger...if it ends up 1000 text messages isn't enough, can I upgrade from the 39.99 450 minute plan to the 59.99 450 minute/unlimited text plan?
Texting is an add-on that you can change any time

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

bull3964 posted:

I'm thinking if the spec rumors of the Droid Razr HD are correct, it's going to be truly special phone.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5779/htc-one-x-for-att-review/3

Take a look at the AT&T one X. The S4 is looking like a remarkable chipset for battery life. The One X is either just slightly beind the Razr Maxx and even exceeding it in a few areas.

This is despite having a battery half the size.

Now, the Razr HD is also supposed to have the S4 chipset as well as the 3300mAh battery of the MAXX.

It is possible we may end up with a phone with nearly double the battery life of the Razr MAXX.
I don't think the HD battery is going to be as big as the MAXX, somewhere in between the regular Razr and the Maxx which would still be pretty good.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

wandler20 posted:

Other than the Incredible, what new Android phones are coming out in the next couple months? I'm out of the loop and I have an upgrade ready to use but I'm not in a rush because my Bionic is doing just fine.
Probably the RAZR HD which should be the bees knees.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

bull3964 posted:

Ultimately, I may sell them both and buy a Droid Fighter/Razr HD outright when it comes out if it lives up to what the leaked specs have been saying about it.
This is what I'm waiting for (contract is up this week I think), hopefully it comes out before grandfathered unlimited goes away.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

bull3964 posted:

Speculation right now is that Moto may push it back so as not to directly compete with the SGSIII launch.
Yeah I've heard this as well, not until fall :(

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

stormrider posted:

So if I pre-order the S3 right now to move my unlimited 3G plan to 4g and lock it in, and the RAZR HD is released within 2-weeks of when I receive my S3 I could switch phones, correct?
You don't have to worry about that, RAZR HD won't be out for a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Processing.....
Processing..........

spengler posted:

Rumors and speculation ahoy!

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/07/motorola-teases-possible-razr-hd-unveiling-this-friday/

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/07/motorola-droid-razr-hd-launch-date-still-unclear/

Bollacks. Every three or four days I search google news for "Razr HD", and it's always the same swirling black hole of FUD.
User trials haven't started yet, still a month off probably :(

• Locked thread