Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Is there anything I can do to get an early upgrade? My Droid Incredible is having touchscreen issues and I really want a Galaxy Nexus but I don't feel like paying full retail for it it, especially when I'm due for a new phone in April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Ciabatta posted:

Besides asking, I don't think so. Have you tried the usual factory reset or flashing a different ROM to see if it will fix your phone? You can always buy a used Incredible or Samsung Fascinate on eBay or Craigslist for ~$100 if your Inc does have a problem you can't fix. The upside of this is the Nexus will likely be quite a bit cheaper by April and/or something else really compelling may be out by then.

It's something wrong with the digitizer itself. I've already replaced it once and I'm not interested in spending the money to do it again. I just want a new phone at this point.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Just went to the Verizon store. They told me I was not eligible for early upgrade, I could not pay a fee of any sort, and my only options were to purchase the phone for full retail or add a $20 line for 2 years. Adding a line for 2 years would cost me $480 + 300 for the phone or $780 which is more than the phone costs full retail. gently caress that.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

You can't do *228 opt 2 in CM ROMs. You'll have to flash back to a Sense ROM before it'll work properly.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I'm going to Barcelona in March and realized that my Droid Incredible won't work there. What options do I have to get some kind of phone that I can use google maps, google translate, make calls, and not run up absurd data roaming fees while in Spain?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Verizon let me upgrade today. I wasnt due until April 20th. I love my nexus.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I think Nashville is experiencing a data outage. I had LTE last night when I went to sleep. Woke up this morning with voice service but no data service. 3G doesn't appear to work either. I've rebooted my gnex and no dice.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I think Nashville is experiencing a data outage. I had LTE last night when I went to sleep. Woke up this morning with voice service but no data service. 3G doesn't appear to work either. I've rebooted my gnex and no dice.

This appears to be limited to just me. I've got zero data (no 3g, no 4g), phone calls in/out work, wifi works. Two of my coworkers, both with gnexes have 3g/4g. I've tried flashing back to the 4.0.2 radios. Still nothing.

Any help here?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

ease posted:

I had an issue like that on cm9 I reflashed and wiped and it worked.

I figured it out. Data was turned off by the app I use to manage my phone's features based on time of day. Apparently when it says "Data: Off" it means "Leave 4G/3G enabled, but disable data entirely thereby effectively saving you no battery."

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Auron posted:

What are people's typical bills after fee's/taxes/insurance for the 450 minute/1000 minute or unlimited text/ 2GB data?

I've got unlimited data, 450 minutes a month, and a 6% corporate discount. I pay around $71 a month. For texting, I'd port my sprint number to Google Voice and use that. No MMS but it's free and the features kick all sorts of rear end.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

cuedotnet posted:

I'm not even sure though how much data 5000+ texts a month using Google voice generates. Not that it matters to me really.

Texting, as far as I know anyways, is essentially free for the carriers. They put the SMS in a packet (not sure that's the right word) in space that would go completely unused.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

DailyDOZO posted:

Anyone know how much it really costs to send MMS messages for the carrier?

More or less nothing.

Edit: That's for SMS. MMS is probably still more or less nothing though but I can't find anything.

Edit2: MMS according to this should cost less than SMS.

Goon Matchmaker fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 12, 2012

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

How angry is Verizon going to be with me if I use LTE and tether to my desktop via USB? I came home to no internet because the job I quit today decided to cancel my internet last night and Comcast are being annoying pricks about simply doing a service transfer.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

gwarm01 posted:

So, what are the general pros/cons for these phones? Does anyone have experience with all of them? Any regrets after purchasing one?

Gnex will get updates for years from the community. Battery life is OK. Screen is amazing. It's my favorite and the one I bought.

There's really no point in buying a razr.

Razr maxx is a razr with a gigantic battery bolted on to it. You're at the mercy of Verizon for updates. Played with it, but I don't like Blur. I'd rather have stock android.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I'm getting ridiculous battery life out of my nexus since I slapped this rom on it and shoved the samsung extended battery in the thing. My battery meter is estimating around 64 hours of battery life left. In practice I'm getting more than a day out of it with relatively light usage.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Duopolies suck.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

roboshit posted:

I just found out that Verizon iPhones don't have SIM cards so I guess I'll have to figure out some way to disable roaming. I looked on their site to see if they had some sort of travel package and they do, just not for iPhones. And they charge like $20 per megabyte when roaming.

Edit: Found an actual setting in iOS to turn voice and data roaming off

Chances are there won't even be a cdma network to connect to. I tried in Spain and never got a signal. Just make sure you turn your cell radio off otherwise it'll eat your battery alive trying to find a tower.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I'm having a fun (read I picked my phone up and threw it) problem with my Galaxy Nexus. Apparently the headphone jack is now hosed up and is randomly and incorrectly detecting when a headphone cable is plugged in. All I care about is using the thing to listen to music in my truck and now I can't use it for that purpose because it just randomly stops playback because it thinks the headphone cable has been removed. Is this a known hardware issue? What can I do to fix it?

And somehow my phone managed to survive being picked up and bashed against the center console in a fit of rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Roundboy posted:

i thought it WAS out for gnex ? at least a initial preview release?

Not the verizon gnex. Unless you use one of the roms ported from the GSM gnex.

I am using one of those roms and jelly bean is pretty awesome.

• Locked thread