Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

traveling midget posted:

Voice is fine but becomes another "thing" to maintain on my girlfriend's already unused Gmail account. I'd rather something from Verizon or something that doesn't need an account.

There's nothing you need to 'maintain,' and if she already has a gmail account it's painless to set up. And it's by far the best visual voicemail service available, and it's free, and in ICS, even integrates right into the stock dialer for voicemails. There couldn't be a better option. It's instant push notifications too, so no delay getting your voicemails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I love mine. Beautiful phone, very fast and smooth, feels good in the hand.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AppleCobbler posted:

I've had 5 different Android phones (SGS, Atrix, Thunderbolt, Bionic, and Gnex) and the only one where Voice actually ever worked on the phone was the T-Bolt. Everytime I've tried to set it as the stock voicemail, the 'changing settings' loading wheel comes up and then never goes away; then all my voicemail gets routed to my regular voicemail, yet when I dial 0 or hit the voicemail button on the dial pad it takes me to the google voice number which tells me that there's no new vmails. And the visual voicemail doesn't do anything either. I've tried clearing settings and redoing things from the GV website, as well as clearing out all settings on the phone to do it as well. This is even with a stock unrooted Galaxy Nexus, a supposed developer device that should play nice with all of google's gadgets.

Verizon doesn't support the automated system for changing your poo poo to GVoice, you have to manually do it by dialing the * codes for call forwarding types (there's 3) and setting them to your google voice number. Took 10 seconds of Googling and 10 seconds of work to get it all working flawlessly.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tedious_Bastard posted:

Don't listen to that one guy, if you get her a GN you will literally end up in divorce court. There's a reason it went from $299 to $79 in three months.

I'm pretty sure this is a joke, but it's still 299 from Verizon.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That's a lot of awake time, at least 50% of that. You're either lying or dumb as hell because your pictures disagree with what you post just about every time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

The real question here, is "why the hell is "Android OS taking up nearly half of your battery life every time?"

As of 4.0, Android OS is what the battery use screen lumps everything into that doesn't go into anything else. He's probably got a wakelock going on with something, which is why BetterBatteryStats is the best app ever. It'll tell you specifically which process is causing a partial wakelock and draining your battery.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

frodnonnag posted:

I'm Seriously considering buying a verizon plan with a Motorola droid 4 LTE, but frankly, the pricing seems mildly retarded.

Jumping on my friend's account, it'd cost, between the two of us, $170 a month for his phone, his grandfathered unlimited data/email plan, our pooled minutes and then a separate data 4gb for my phone, and another charge for texts on my phone.

without me, he pays about $70.

Going solo, I'm looking at about a $110ish a month, for most likely the lowest tier on everything but texts.

Frankly, gently caress, that's alot, and it really just looks like i'm loving myself over either way. What is wrong?

$110 a month doesn't sound right at all, I pay $90 a month for the lowest tier minutes, 4gb data and unlimited texts.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tedious_Bastard posted:

iPhone

Because that was what he asked! :downs: Everyone knows you hate your phone, shut up about it already.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah mine lasts that long with light usage on a stock battery with 4G off (as there is no lte here.)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is it the part where their phones are actually designed in the US by world-class engineers who both use and take pride in their products? Or is it the part where they don't poo poo out twenty different models every year, and thus, can actually take the time to see that poo poo loving works?

I mean, I prefer Android too and Jobs was a bit kooky. But Apple's engineering is something that all companies should strive for. They set a really good example.

Probably more so with their business methods and ethics.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't they say they plan on having all current 3g converted to 4g by end of 2013? That'd be pretty awesome. There are a few areas I don't get 4G around here, but not many.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
A Blackberry that old is hardly comparable to a modern smartphone. I could easily blow through 300mb in a half hour just surfing the net and streaming music.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I've heard that so many times from people who've never had a real smartphone before, it's hilarious at this point. Syncing your contacts and email alone could probably eat through a 300mb data cap, nevermind any apps you download to increase your phone's functionality.

\/\/\/ I've heard all that from people with dumbphones too. Then they get a smartphone, and use it all the time for a variety of tasks that they excel at. You really don't know how incredibly handy they are until you have one.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 6, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

abagofcheetos posted:

(even though I have faith in the platform's success).

I don't know why, they have half the marketshare RIM does, which is pathetic.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ProjektorBoy posted:

I have Vodafone, Three, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon SIM cards with me right now. All of them are sized the same. There's nothing "mini" or exceptional about the Bionic SIM card. It's the standard size. The Razr Maxx uses MicroSIM according to Moto's support site.

The normal SIM card you think of is called a mini SIM.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

XarsonX posted:

Yeah you are right. I forgot it started on eclair. I don't actually remember many great improvements from 2.1 to 2.2 (or 2.2 to 2.3 for that matter) but that might be due to the HTC Sense overlay. Plus it was a long dang time ago.

2.2 brought some good speed boosts, and 2.3 brought some minor visual improvements like the black status bar, battery usage improvements, the first not terrible stock Android keyboard, and a bunch of speed boosts. All of this was probably ruined by Sense.

Oh yeah 2.2 brought the 'move to SD card' option for apps.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if you were touched in a no-no place by GV at some point but I know dozens of people who've been using it exclusively for years for their voicemail and it works perfectly. You probably didn't set it up right, it requires doing things a little differently on Verizon.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I use just over 2gb every month, but since I get LTE at home I don't bother with WiFi and I've only ever used half my data allowance.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

Blows my mind more people dont use unlimited like crazy.

That was last month. I'm sure this month will be more since now the towers I'll be on are even faster. Netflix sure does burn up data!

I don't have unlimited, and I have a TV for Netflix and movies and stuff, and if I'm not at home I'm doing something and not watching poo poo on my phone.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

I did mention that this is watching netflix via a TV. Just, FYI.

My computer does Netflix a hell of a lot better than my phone for one.

RVProfootballer posted:

Uh, if you're breaking 9-10 gigs a month doing "normal daily poo poo," you're probably not doing anything very normal.

This. I stream a lot of music in my car, update all my apps, browse the forums a ton, etc and still never got higher than 2.5 gigs. You are an EXTREME outlier.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AlexDeGruven posted:

My Kindle Paperwhite has a 212ppi screen, which looks really nice, and at my normal reading distance has indiscernable individual pixels. But my S3 at 306 at normal reading distance still looks better. A 5" screen at 1080p will look even better.

That's apples to oranges, with completely different screen techs. If you literally can't see individual pixels it's not just magically going to look "better" because they're there.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

kitten smoothie posted:

Yep, corporate store, and I've still got a copy of the receipt (which I'm 99% sure has the IMEI printed on it) as proof I was the original buyer and when it was purchased, if it really came down to that. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, since I haven't seen this posted here yet - if you buy a Motorola phone between February 18 and March 4, there's a mail-in rebate for a $50 Play store gift card.

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/Google-Play-Credit/Google-Play-Credit,en_US,pg.html

This is baller as gently caress, just put my girlfriend on my plan and she went with the RAZR M. It's an absolutely awesome phone for anyone considering it, battery life is incredible, it's VERY VERY near stock Android, and runs really smoothly.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Razr maxx and razr maxx hd are showing up as in stock on amazonwireless for me right now.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So I've had a Blackberry Curve for like 4 years now (gave up one of my upgrades). What are some solid choices to move on to?

There's the iPhone line, Razr Maxx HD, Razr M, Galaxy S 3, and Galaxy Note 2. Those are all solid choices. Razr line has some of the best battery life, comparable to iPhone's. Everything will probably be a step down from your Curve in terms of battery life, but they'll also be a million times better at everything else. Razr Maxx HD can easily get several days with moderate use though.

Go into an official Verizon store and play around with them.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm currently charging my Blackberry at least once a day, usually twice. I hope batteries aren't that terrible :smith:

My girlfriend has a RAZR M she just bought, and if she uses it lightly it lasts her two days. Razr maxx hd has even better battery life, and a bigger/higher res screen. Can't speak from person experience on any of the other phones I listed.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The RAZR M is an absolutely fantastic phone, and free through Amazon or Best Buy right now. $50 after rebate through Verizon proper. GF, mom and brother all have one right now, and I'm thoroughly impressed with it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Or you can just reroot it easily since it's a nexus device.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The S4 probably won't come out until summer, it isn't even being announced until next week. Samsung already said it wasn't coming out in March even.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
RAZR M can easily get 2 days with stock battery.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Why don't you disable the app?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think you have to turn it into a Share Everything plan.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

MREBoy posted:

Asking this here as I have a Verizon branded Razr MAXX - if this more for the general Android thread, I'll head over there.

Ever since I updated to 4.1.2 last week, my battery life is noticeably worse than with ICS. I bought this phone on 8/1/12 and when I got it, it didn't have ICS on it already. I remember the rep telling me to not even bother using the phone & to plug it into power and run the update when I got home. My question is this: if I hard reset the phone, what am I going to wind up with in terms of Android version ? This is the first time I've ever owned an Android phone. Is hard resetting it actually necessary ? I (in my opinion) use the phone very sparingly. I'm using Firefox the most (random browsing), Skype for occasional chatting with some friends (text only, no voice), WiFi and Bluetooth are rarely on (unless I'm at home) and I've used only 144 mb of data at day 25 of my 30 day data cycle. I look at the near 45 degree graph angle and wonder why there are a lot more "Awake" ticks there ever since I updated to 4.1.2.

Right now the list of apps in Battery says Android OS 55%, Phone Idle 18%, Screen 13%, Cell Standby 10%, Maps 2% and that's it.

2 and a half days and you're still at 50% is noticeably worse than what you had before? I envy you.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

kitten smoothie posted:

Oh boy.

Upgrades now at 24 months, not 20. If you bought a subsidized device in January 2012 or later, you're affected by this change.

And if you're sitting on a New Every Two credit, it's void as of this coming Monday.

That's some major balls. Moving my upgrade date another 4 months up is not cool. Looks like I'm buying a used phone in the next month or two, can't stand the poo poo battery on this GNex much longer.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
As a Gnex user, don't buy one. The battery is total garbage and it's starting to show its age.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ok simple question:
You have two phone choices, and they are

a) HTC Rhyme
b) Samsung Illusion
c) Shoot the hostage

Which phone (if you could only have one of these two) would you recommend? Cite reasons if you feel like it.
Thanks for your help.

If it's a price issue the RAZR M is free at best buy and amazon, or at least was recently.

Seriously both those phones are total garbage.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You can't 'give' the upgrade away, it's tied to your line.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
No one forced you to use your upgrade and lose unlimited data.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
What he said, this has been covered a hundred times in this thread already.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You probably are, because bandwidth gets cheaper and cheaper by leaps and bounds all the time, it's the same thing with your broadband ISP. Higher prices and no better service/speeds, attempted bandwidth caps (these seem to have mostly flopped though, thank god,) etc. It's just a loving scam to get more money from you, just like text messaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I can't complain too much about Charter then, the service is decently reliable and no caps. 30 is the fastest they offer though.

*edit* sorry for derailing, how about that new droid maxx that's been spotted? That'll probably be my next phone.

• Locked thread