Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
So I'm thinking of biting the bullet and switching over to Verizon from T-Mobile (I went from Sprint SERO to T-Mobile because Sprint service was gradually getting worse where I live/work). I've got a few questions...

1. Can I activate a second-hand device right now and save my new customer pricing for when the Droid Prime or whatever comes out?

2. Can I transfer someone else's legacy unlimited smartphone data plan into my name and have sweet sweet unlimited 3G/4G data?

3. Is it really worth it? Bay Area, if it matters. I'm paying $42.50 a month after employee discount for T-Mobile (500min/unl txt/2gb data) and Verizon is $66 for 450min/250 txt/2gb data after my employee discount. I use Google Voice so I'm ok with not having texting at all as well but would like to have some to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Unlimited data won't survive the transfer? Huh. That sucks. Can anyone confirm this? From what I understand, AT&T allows unlimited data to survive the TOL.

Also, will getting an employee discount force me to sign a 2yr contract even if I do a TOL or bring my own device? And then another 2yr contract when I finally get my new customer pricing?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
So I called Verizon as an anonymous customer and was told that it depends on the rep transferring the contract. Some of them do let you keep the unlimited data, but the official Verizon position is that the customer has to move to a current plan.

However, I did some research and from what I've read, if you do an "assumption of liability" and don't change the device on the account, you do get to keep the current features. The plan has to be changed to a current one but the unlimited data is a feature and can stick.

Now to decide if this is really what I want to do, especially with the iPhone5 and Nexus Prime around the corner. I do see a few people offering Thunderbolts for free with unlimited data with ~20 months left on the contract.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

DeNofa posted:

To stay on topic: How much of a dick is Big Red going to be if I want to preorder an iPhone on Friday if I'm not up for an upgrade until Sunday? I have a long-time family plan, don't miss payments, good credit, etc; if that makes a difference.

Assume they are going to be a dick about, how impossible is going to be to get on Sunday?

Won't know until you try!

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any way to break contract without actually canceling service? That is pay my ETF, go month to month immediately and be upgrade eligible?

We're 3 months into a 2 year contract and my wife hates her Thunderbolt so we've decided to get an iPhone. Verizon wants $649 for a 4S apparently since I am not upgrade eligible.

Being 3 months in, the prorated ETF is $320. I could port the number to a Tracphone or something and then back to Verizon to get an iPhone for $200 - making the whole affair $130 cheaper, except I'd lose unlimited data.

You could add-a-line. <thinks> But then you'd have to get data for that line, turning it into a $40/mo liability... hmm.

Just so there's a point to this post, your port-out port-in method won't work without 90 days in between, because Verizon won't consider you a new customer. Unless you come in with your wife's SSN.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Aatrek posted:

I'm not the primary line, so I don't know if there's anything I can do. I'll try, though, I guess. Do I just ask for the 'retention' department when I call in?

Say "cancel" or tell the rep that you're thinking of cancelling.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Aatrek posted:

It scares me a bit that Best Buy has the Bionic off-contract at $699 - that's where I wanted to get the Nexus (as I have some gift cards saved up). VZW sells it off-contract for $589.

Not a good sign. Maybe I'll get something in print from the local Verizon store and take it to Best Buy to do a price match :colbert:

If you can wait a little to get it from craigslist, you'll likely get someone wanting to dump it for less than $589 + tax. With phones the second-hand market isn't too bad since you can get insurance.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

cr0y posted:

I have been under the same contract (well, new contract every 2 years) since about 2004 with verizon. I know verizon's base data plan is 5gb/month but my online account says 2gb out of unlimited. Am I still on a 5gb plan (some people said I may have been grandfathered in as an unlimited user). Or does the verizon site simply suck? My text and voice usage seems fine (400 of 700min used and a billion out of unlimited texts used).

The Verizon base data plan is now 2GB for $29.99, if you have unlimited showing you're on unlimited. Have you actually used 2GB? Maybe post a screenshot.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
No information about how long this promo lasts? I'm assuming until Black Friday?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Penguissimo posted:

It's apparently hardly any bigger than other 4.3" phones due to that 4.6" figure including the portion of the screen set aside for software buttons. In the end it's more or less a wash.

This is not really accurate. Here's a picture of the phone, showing that the screen doesn't extend down all the way like the capacitive area would with capacitive buttons. http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/galaxy-nexus-product-image-1.jpg

Also, most new smartphones are 16:9 anyway so the 1280x720 screen doesn't save space there.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

jfreder posted:

Which part of his post are you saying isn't accurate? The Galaxy Nexus definitely has capacitive buttons.

It's also only 2mm wider than my Droid X and 1mm thinner so I'm personally not worried about the size at all.

That was a short post, but still, this part: It's apparently hardly any bigger than other 4.3" phones

If it was "hardly any bigger" it would be the same size even with a bigger display. But its not. And it has room in the bottom for capacitive buttons, had they chose to put them in. This rumor has been around since before we saw actual detailed pictures of the Galaxy Nexus, and at that time it was pretty much justification for the big screen. Its the same size as any other theoretical device with a 4.65" screen, ie huge. No biggie for some, but no need to ignore that its larger either.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Currently, my wife has an account (with a previous employer) and we have our family lines through that.

Would my wife be able to cancel (we are over our contract so no ETF)that contract, create a new contract through Amazon (using her new employer) and both of us receive the RAZR for $0.01?

I am just wondering if the $0.01 deal can be for both lines and if she would still be considered a new contract.

You could cancel her lines and then start up a family plan under your name. Only drawback being that you lose unlimited data.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
So the Rezound hasn't been rooted or S-OFF'd?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
So I went to the Verizon store and looked at both the Rezound and the Razr.

They both don't jump out at me. :(

The Razr is really, really big. It looks like it could easily fit a 5" screen, but it doesn't. Its thin, but its comically tall and wide.

The Rezound is just like my Sensation, and according to Engadget, has the same size battery. Well, my phone has terrible battery life.

I can't wait for the Galaxy Nexus since I'm doing the double-data deal along with the Amazon sale, so which one would you guys recommend? My priorities are good support and good battery life. I do charge at work, but the Sensation's battery life just drops like a rock which is what Engadget said happened with theirs too.

EDIT: If I get 3 lines on a family plan, do I have to keep the data plan active on that 3rd line? What if I get the device from Amazon?

Mark Larson fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 22, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

maduin posted:

No, you don't. I know a few people on family plans that pay 9.99$/mo for an extra line just to use the upgrade yearly.

And if I get it from Amazon? Do I have to keep the data active for 6 months?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

hotsauce posted:

Just wondering, why is the non-removable battery such a concern all of a sudden with the RAZR? iPhones have sold millions with little fanfare about the non-removable battery but the RAZR gets trashed for it?

Is it because you *can* have a swappable battery with every other Android phone? Is that it? Fear of not choosing a theoretically better alternative?

I know everyone thinks that everyone else on this forum is the sperglord, but people are wary of Android smartphone battery life, and people with real jobs and real things to do go for no-fuss iPhones which are dead reliable, or at least that's what the impression is. My friend (Android user) says he will never buy an HTC until he hears that they've drastically improved their battery life, for one.

With iPhones you also have the accessory market including the Mophie. With the Razr that may not happen since its just one phone out of many.

Another thing to keep in mind is that just because Apple got away with something doesn't mean OEMs or MS or anyone else can get away with the same thing. They've built up a tremendous amount of goodwill, and you can see how WP7's restrictiveness comes across as claustrophobic whereas people are happy to play in Apple's walled garden.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Crazy685 posted:

I just upgraded through VerizonWireless.com to get the HTC Incredible 2 and I noticed that under my "plan" through the checkout process that it didn't seem to list my unlimited data plan.

Did I lose it by upgrading? The phone was free and my current phone (LG Ally) keeps shutting off so as a poor law student this seemed perfect for me, but I'd prefer to keep my data plan!

You have 14 days to call them and they will make it right.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

notwithoutmyanus posted:

a: the mophie is a nice *concept*. You want to pay $65 to have a battery enclosed in a cover and to do something that is worth not even $20-30??(link) I should add, that the mophie wont' work with anything other than the phone you buy the case for.

The HTC Rezound (for example) extended battery costs $50 and only works with the Rezound. These things just cost a lot.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I have a question for anyone familiar with Verizon's data promotions. If I sign up with the double-your-data deal and the 2GB plan (becoming 4GB), what happens if I switch to an iPhone (losing the double-data deal in the process) and then come back onto an Android 4G LTE device? Will I get the double-data deal back because I had it once, or is it gone forever?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I see that Amazon has a $100 gift card if you activate a Hotspot plan on your newly-purchased Android smartphone.

Now, the cheapest hotspot plan is effectively 6GB for $40 for me, since I get 20% off the $50 price, making it only $10 more than the regular $30 plan. 6GB is way overkill for me, so can I switch down to the regular $30 plan? How long do I have to keep the Hotspot feature active? Until I receive the giftcard?

The only thing stopping me from doing this is that the double-data deal would expire if I had to step down to the $30 plan, making my jump from 6GB to 2GB instead of 6GB to 4GB. Anyone know if that's true or not?

Also, is the $5 text plan gone? The only options are now PPU or $10 or Unlimited?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
How long do you have to keep the same phone active on the account when you buy it from Amazon? I'm getting a Droid Razr from Amazon and plan to flip it and get a Google Nexus when it comes out, activating a Thunderbolt in the meantime.

Amazon only says this:

quote:

AmazonWireless Instant Discount Policy
When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

So I take it that I can just activate this phone and then turn around and sell it off after putting the Thunderbolt on the account?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Roundboy posted:

im waiting for my android phone to arrive today, but trying this out with the GV app on ATT and my iphone has both the default text app and GV app getting my texts. But the default iphone app sees it from a completely different number, but it does prefix the texts with the senders name.

You should be able to set it in the Settings menu to not receive texts on the device, which will block the regular texts but still let the Voice app receive the texts, giving you free texting as long as you have Push/sync enabled.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Roundboy posted:

In the GV settings or phone settings? its a moot point since i am switching as soon as the razr is delivered today, but I am trying to get things set up beforehand since i have no texting plan on verizon going forward.
Both in the Google Voice app settings and on the voice.google.com settings.

quote:

Yeah on iphone i seem to get them twice (in GV and stock app) so does that mean i am still getting dinged for the text ?
Yup.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

To further confuse you (or maybe not), that will be changing soon. That same example will be changed to a $50 account charge, a $9.99 access charge for the first line, and a $9.99 access charge for the second line. At least the insert in my last bill says that.

That's because the corporate discount doesn't apply to additional lines, or at least that's what my inner cynic tells me.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I got scared when I saw that post saying that the double data deal expires tomorrow. My Razr isn't going to be delivered until next week. When I bought it, I selected a double-data plan, but how can I make sure that I do get the double data plan because AFAIK, the plan hasn't been activated yet?

If I don't get the double-data deal because Amazon didn't have the Razr in stock I'll be pissed. :mad:

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Is the Thunderbolt decent for a Verizon/Android/4G device? I want to have something with good ROM support and the ability to lock down the double-your-data promo until the Galaxy Nexus comes through or something.

Has the battery life improved since it came out? I remember that a spare or extended battery was de riguer, is that still true with CM7 or some other AOSP rom?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

AppleCobbler posted:

The battery life is terrible. If you don't have the extended battery (which makes the phone an inch and a half thick, weighs a ton, and sticks out like a humpback), you have to carry around some spare batteries or be okay with putting the thing into airplane mode anytime you plan to walk into a building with solid walls. Seriously. I've unplugged it, walked into the grocery store, and come out after 30 minutes of not touching it to find it's at 75%.

Thanks, it gives me an idea of what to expect. I'm only getting it to tide me over and getting it for $150, so it should be fine for the time being. I used to have an EVO and I do have chargers at home, work and in the car so I'm used to charging all the time.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

vote_no posted:

Well said, I really wish CM7 worked properly on the Thunderbolt.

What are the issues with CM7 on the Thunderbolt? I just got one that the previous owner installed CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1.7-Thunderbolt-KANG on. Should I install a different ROM?

BTW I see how the Thundebrolt has poo poo battery life - HTC gave it a 1400mAh battery when even the EVO got a 1500 mAh one. Maybe because the rest of the phone is like a boat anchor? v :) v

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Ciabatta posted:

Do we know how different the hardware is? Is it really only the radio being switched out (and bigger internal memory) or is there more to it that could hold everything up?

That alone is a big deal.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Ciabatta posted:

So one more reason Samsung is great is they taught me how and why to root and flash custom ROMs!

That's like saying you thank your abusive spouse for showing you how to take blows.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
How does warranty work on Verizon? I have a Thunderbolt that I think has something internally preventing it from connecting well to LTE and it seeks 3G even though the settings are in CDMA/LTE mode.

If I had TEC I know that I could go in there no matter what and get a refurb phone, but what about the fact that I bought the Thunderbolt used? It was only launched this year so its still within warranty but how does that work exactly? Do I have to mail it off to HTC? If that's the case I'd rather pay the $7 to TEC it.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

kitten smoothie posted:

I was under the impression the base 1 year warranty only applied to the original owner, so if you bought it used from someone off Craigslist or something and didn't put insurance on it when you activated it, then you're out of luck.

So I can't call and add the TEC on right now?

EDIT: Never mind, I called VZW and they added the TEC on my account. I'll see how it goes with the Thunderbolt but its invaluable for peace of mind.

Mark Larson fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 6, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Bloodplay it again posted:

Is Verizon's $30 4g plan really only 5 GB? I could go through that in a week without even trying.

4GB. :)

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/explore/?page=data

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Jonny Quest posted:

More of a feature-phone, really. Featuring HTML5 browsing, NFC/Bluetooth/802.11n/Global Bands, touch screen, excellent call quality/speakerphone, a hardware-keyboard, voice commands/speech-to-text, oh, and the novel ability to last all weekend without re-charging. Plus it tethers to my tablet for free 3G.

Well yeah but when you start watching youtube, Netflix and updating the weather on that thing you'll still be over 300MB.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Why are microSIMs a problem right now? I thought they were just regular SIMs, just smaller. Or is that not true?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

bull3964 posted:

The thing is, people are jumping on speculation. They are creating their own "calculations" based on general guidelines that Moto published. Moto putting out a list saying such and such step will take 1-3 months and then suddenly running with headlines of "MOTO SAYS 6 MONTHS FOR ICS" by adding up all the maximum values (some of which may execute partially in parallel) is misleading at best.

I also really doubt that work for their top tier devices didn't start until the ICS source was published.

lol at Motorola doing timely updates. They stopped doing that after Froyo came out for the OG Droid. They weren't even a launch partner so they got the code the same time as HTC and the other OEMs.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

bull3964 posted:

They still do better than every single other OEM out there.

No way Motorola does better than HTC.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

bull3964 posted:

Tell that to incredible owners who are still struggling to install Gingerbread or to thunderbolt owners who finally got gingerbread a month ago on a phone that should have launched with gingerbread.

Motorola's track record is pretty bad as well. I've never owned a Moto device except a Defy, which was stuck on Froyo and a Droid which never got updated past Froyo either. I hear the Droid X update had issues and the X2 isn't all peaches and cream either. At least HTC isn't militant about their bootloaders, which is 95% the reason I have two HTCs on my desk right now, both running custom ROMs.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Yeah, no data except 1X on my Thunderbolt in SF either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Since I would be buying a GN off-contract if at all, what's the best way to make sure the manufacturer warranty still applies, since it apparently doesn't apply to 2nd-hand sales?

I was thinking I'd just pick one up from craigslist once they hit my price range, but I'd really want the warranty as well.

• Locked thread