Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

bull3964 posted:

That's really not true. I've been using activesync on my Droid for 2 years on the $29.99 plan.

Seconded. I used ActiveSync with a Win6.5 phone and Exchange on a Droid and Thunderbolt on the $29.99 plan with no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Gonkish posted:

Is there any timetable for Verizon/HTC pushing out Gingerbread to the Thunderbolt? I want root this thing, but I also want 2.3, and the sooner it comes out the sooner the ROM people can update...

2nd quarter, so by the end of June. That doesn't mean this will happen but a mostly working version of GB was leaked this week so that's a good sign.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

I would. The stock un-rooted firmware on the T-Bolt is a mess. The Charge at least doesn't have Sense UI FC on me 5 times a day just sitting on my desk charging, nor does it require me to reboot it constantly to keep it from running dog slow.

Based on XDA and my experience you're in the minority and probably have a bad phone, unless you're talking about the known issue with the OTA update breaking phones. When running stock I never had issues with speed or Sense UI force closing. The only issue I have run into that wasn't related to ROMs and kernels is battery life, and that may still be a network connection issue since it was noticeably worse after LTE went down.

LE posted:

Regarding the bit that I bolded: fuckin aye, that's a crazy high return rate.

I know that the rooting/rom community has embraced the hell out of the device (which is fine, I get that), but I find it odd that they're all so quick to dismiss the Droid Charge. I'm assuming that they just have a grudge against Samsung. This may not be entirely unfounded, but even Cyanogen said that he likes where Samsung is going. The Droid Charge's bootloader is also unlocked by default, ffs.

I think that's more related to the rebooting issue from the OTA update, and Verizon is replacing phones due to this. Annoying but they're accepting responsibility.

It's not just a grudge. I've never owned a Samsung but their credibility is pretty shot due to software problems and taking forever on updates. Many people aren't about to give Samsung a chance until they show a good track record. I think the Charge is ugly looking, plastic-y, and don't see physical buttons as being a selling point.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

AppleCobbler posted:

After waiting out a few days, I finally updated my Thunderbolt to 2.3.4. It's really snappy so far and haven't run into any real issues. The new Sense3.0 lockscreen is particularly nice, with quicklinks to camera, phone, messages, and mail. It may actually replace the Zeam/Handcent combo ive been using

What ROM, kernel, and does it have properly working camera, camcorder, GPS, and 4G?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

This is my only means of accessing the internet. I don't know how I'm going to apply for jobs now.

Seriously, what's with the entitlement people have over internet access? It's a product you pay for, if you don't like it you can buy your access from another company. It's not like cable broadband where you only have one provider. Plus with many coffee shops, restaurants, schools, and libraries all providing free wifi it really isn't your only source.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

:siren: Thunderbolt gingerbread users :siren:

Your phone is a ticking time bomb, revert back to froyo asap. http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/25/urgent-leaked-thunderbolt-gingerbread-radio-may-cause-hard-bricks-we-advise-you-revert-to-froyo/

Wow, I'd actually been thinking of finally flashing it this weekend. Looks like I'm stuck on DasBamf Froyo, since CM7 turns my phone into a space heater.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

To prep for the Droid x ota, if I've been using the leaked gingerbread will restoring my backup from before I flashed that and then unrooting be enough to work, or would I be better off just doing an sbf back to stock?

Just wait for someone to release a rooted version of the OTA, if they have not already, and flash it. That's the safest option.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Codiusprime posted:

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/27/all-clear-verizon-will-allow-unlocked-bootloaders-on-their-network/

Woot woot!! I had my doubts that Verizon would let unlocked boot loaders on their network, but sweet deal!! They will allow them!

This does not mean what you think it does, read the first article referenced in that blog. It's status quo. They're saying that if you unlock the bootloader on your phone (like rooting a Thunderbolt) you can still use it on their network. They are not asking manufacturers to unlock the bootloader, no longer requiring a locked bootloader, or anything close to that.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Bleh Maestro posted:

Has anyone been getting the random reboots after the OTA update on the Thunderbolt? And if so any fixes? Or do I chuck this phone out the window...I'm so sick of it :(

Verizon is reportedly replacing Thunderbolts with this problem. Call them.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Gonkish posted:

Is there any indication of when Verizon is going to push out Gingerbread to the Thunderbolt? I know that there was a leaked GB build that several custom ROMs are now based off of (and which apparently caused bricking issues with the radio), but I'm wondering when the official release was planned.

No, but there are rumors it would be next quarter. That would make sense. The leaked build was not even close to ready.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Note: I'm not a Verizon employee, just a customer.

Check your bill, and look on the left side. It should list an "Access Discount" and/or a "Feature Discount". It is (apparently) the feature discount that will cease to apply to the $30 data plan.

I got it from the info in this article.

It's debatable right now. I read this line...

Engadget.com posted:

These changes also apply to employee plans as well (personal accounts w/work discounts applied)

This could reference VZW employees or any employee plans, which means those of us with a feature discount could keep it as long as we don't change our data plan. That said, if they touch my discount in the middle of my contract I probably will terminate, go to T-Mobile or Sprint, and sell my Thunderbolt to pay for a new phone. Although, based on an Ebay check, it looks like the TB isn't worth much.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

OK, then this post is kinda confusing me then. Does it just depend on the carrier whether or not new customers can not sign a contract?

He's wrong. You can start a new Verizon account without a contract. They just will not subsidize the cost of your phone, so you pay full price or activate a used (but not blacklisted) phone. Just make sure they don't accidentally (or on purpose) sign you to one anyway.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Asurion is pulling a weird promotion. I got the following text:

quote:

Protect your Thunderbolt. Sign up for equipment coverage during this special enrollment opportunity. Protect your device from theft, loss, damage and mechanical/electrical defects after the manufacturer's warranty for a low monthly fee and applicable deductible. Choose the coverage option that is right for you by visiting https://www.vzwphoneprotection.com or call 877-298-2065. Limited time offer ends July 20, 2011. Reply "X" 2 Stop. To "Opt-Out", Reply with "Q".

How are Stop and Opt-Out two different things? Did they sign me up and expect me to opt-out?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

hotsauce posted:

If you are even marginally on the fence about getting unlimited 4g data on Verizon, your ONLY chance is to do it prior to 7711. After that, you are hosed. Period.

Godspeed those in limbo with a decision.

Non-ninja edit # many....I've had a few drinks, true. Don't hate me cause I'm buzzed. I try to speak the truth!

No, it isn't. You just need to be on unlimited data, 3G or 4G. In the same leaked memo said they will not consider there to be difference between the two when grandfathering. Will this ultimately be true? Who knows? There's nothing that will force them to grandfather unlimited 4G plans either, we just have to take them at their leaked word and see what happens.

Don't drunk post, especially when it's to tell people the wrong information and scare them.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

So it appears that another regulatory fee change is coming. Or the annual "Let's let all of our unhappy customers go and boost our customer service numbers" fray.

According to a friend of my wife's, if one were to do an early termination of this type, they would have to pay back the difference in their subsidized phone costs.

In other words, if they got out ETF free, they'd still effectively have to pay an ETF.

Is there anything to this, or does my wife's friend have her head way up her rear end?

This is impossible to answer without knowing who they bought the phone from. If it was from Verizon's online or retail store, no. If it was from a third party "authorized reseller" (like Amazon, Wirefly, or the the random store down the street that isn't owned by Verizon", maybe since those places have their own, additional set of terms.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I would honestly take a phone the size of the original Incredible if it had good battery life and up-to-date specs.

To each his own :v:

Agreed. I've gotten used to the size of the Thunderbolt but I would have jumped on the Incredible 2 if it had come out before 1 year contracts died.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Ugg boots posted:

They pretty much told me to gently caress off and that they couldn't do anything about activating it because it's already on an active line. I know it's not true, and I also know that if it were on an active line then I'd be able to just *228 to tie it back into that account, no?

It sounds like your friend is wrong. You should ask him to contact Verizon to deactivate it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Regarding the new data plans and discounts, when I check the Change Features page it does apply my 12% discount to the new plans.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Caseman posted:

I stream pandora at work sometimes, do a lot of light browsing, read books, check social media. I use, on average, 1.5gb/month. I imagine that's their "average user" which is why they set the cap at 2 gigs. I'm not defending it, I think the entire idea of bandwidth caps is ridiculous, but I can kind of understand their thinking.

Agreed. Even at my heaviest I've never hit 2gb, I think. However, I usually have 4G off and use wifi at work and home. It may be different once I'm sitting at the airport for a few hours.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

DaNzA posted:

Neat.

[list]PRL (Preferred Roaming List)
[/quote]

FYI, you don't do this if you have a 4G phone. It shouldn't let you anyway but if it does it may fry your SIM card.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How does it fry an LTE SIM card? That's super special. But if so, couldn't you take the SIM out, update, then put it back in?

When the Thunderbolt first came out people would call *228 and their SIM card would get deactivated, requiring a trip to a store for a new one. Verizon quickly changed the *228 service so that 4G devices would be disconnected without updating.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

ejstheman posted:

Ugh, I was afraid that was the answer. That's like a three-mile bike ride from here, mostly uphill. I suppose it's worth it to save someone $500 or whatever these things cost, though. As if I didn't have enough poo poo to take care of this week.

If the customer support number isn't working try the sales number (800) 256-4646. They can at least forward you to the correct person or maybe give you pre-paid mailing to send it to their store.

Try to charge it, too. The owner should be trying to call it. I'd also consider posting on Craigslist, if you live in a city. Just make sure you note that the owner should call the phone, not e-mail you, so you can prove it is their's.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

nickhimself posted:

Man, I really like my ThunderBolt but I want to punch the design team in the face. Who thought that putting the charge port on the same side that the phone will rest on while the stand is propped up was a good idea? gently caress that guy.

The red circle is where the cord plugs into the phone, effectively making the kick-stand completely useless while charging.

=/

Is your next hot news tip about battery life on 4G being poor?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah loving Motorola dipshits who designed the Photon ... wait the Thunderbolt has this problem too? :downs:

Does the kickstand still hold it up if you flip it upside down, or is not strong enough like the Photon's?

Strong enough? It isn't designed to.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Sunblood posted:

Pardon me if this has been covered but,

My brother just ordered a replacement HTC Thunderbolt because his had various problems. We got the replacement in the mail today and it works great but we cannot figure out how we're supposed to send back the old phone. They gave us what looks like a flat piece of cardboard with some cellophane wrapping and what might be a return shipping label. Does anyone know how we're supposed to use this cellophane-wrapped cardboard? I could fold it into an envelope and put the phone inside, but that doesn't really seem safe. Plus there's this square hole that looks important but I have no clue what it's for.

I can get pics if you guys are just as confused as I am.

Did you read the instructions? I'm pretty sure you send it back using the same box it was shipped in.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Sunblood posted:

Then what on earth is this little cardboard plastic thing for?

Pictures would help us figure it out.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

comper posted:

I just had a Thunderbolt replaced before I sold it. You just put the phone in the padded envelope which should already have a label on it. You don't have to send back the microSD card, sim card, charger, or any other accessories. Just drop the envelope in your mailbox and you're good to go.

Not "you don't have to", DO NOT send back anything but the phone. All accessories, cards, and the battery are supposed to be kept and used with the replacement. I doubt they would give you the stuff back if you sent it by accident.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Don Corleone posted:

Couldn't find this in the OP or the last few pages, so...

Does anyone know if you can keep a grandfathered unlimited data plan when moving from an Android to an Iphone? I want to upgrade my original Incredible (which after 18 months will blow through a battery in less than 3 hours of light use) to a 4s, but I'm not sure it's worth losing my unlimited data.

Yes. It's a smartphone data plan, not an Android/iPhone/Blackberry plan.

Gaza posted:

Why the gently caress do people keep spewing this bullshit? Screen size is preference, end of story. If you like a bigger screen and subsequently a bigger phone, you should go get one. There's a ton on the market right now. gently caress it, why don't you get a tablet phone hybrid because bigger is better right?

Agreed, to a point. I think that screen size is fine and Apple wants you to buy an iPad to compliment your iPhone, so they're not inclined to bump up the size. That said, "there are other pones on the market" is a pretty poor excuse. It's poor logic that we've seen fail. Motorola had a giant hit with the RAZR, didn't innovate, and wound up losing ground to smartphones and other featurephones because they didn't adapt.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

So what's stopping me from doing an add a line to get an iPhone at $199, then doing an ESN swap to put that phone on her line, and finally turning around and canceling the new line? At $350 ETF + $199 for the phone its still cheaper than $649.

Edit 2: I assume this would keep my unlimited data too on that line, right?

You forgot the month of service, I think that starts at $60 plus tax. if you cancel within 30 days you have to return the phone or owe them full retail. Do you feel like doing a bunh of work to save $40 or less?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

tismondo posted:

I'm on a family plan and upgraded to a bionic a month ago at Costco. As it turns out I'm now trying to decide if I'm going to go to grad school abroad in the next 6 months... if I do that I obviously won't be here to use my phone.

This begs the question - does my 2 year extension of service apply to my calling plan AND my data plan? ie - in March before I leave could I downgrade to a feature phone and only continue paying the per-line fee, rather than the per-line fee + $30 for data?

From my reading of the contract I was given at costco, I'm only on the hook for a 2 year extension of my calling plan, not my data. Hoping to get some confirmation on that here before I call to start figuring out the nuts and bolts of how I'm gonna do this.

Yes and no. You can change plans without charge and, if you bought a basic phone you could drop to the cheapest plan available for calls only. Regarding data, though, if you use a smartphone you're required to have a data plan. The only exception is smartphones from 3+ years ago which did not require data, if you buy one off EBay. However, you may be able to suspend your contract or catch Verizon increasing a fee that lets you terminate without a fee. Ultimately, it may be cheapest to just pay the fee depending on how many months are left.

A big if is whether CostCo has their own policy like most other resellers. If you switch to a cheaper plan within a certain period of time, as long as 6 months, or cancel (for any reason) they may charge you a termination fee.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Anyone have experience with the HTC Rhyme? My normally smartphone and touchscreen hating fiancee wants to get one. The color and Charm accessory hooked her.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

The thing is, I have noticed how blazing fast LTE is and it's really awesome, but there aren't many cases in which I wish my phone's data speed was faster. I use my phone 90% of the time for phoning/texting/playing games/camera, and I only web browse when I need to look something up or use Google Maps. I feel like 3G can handle that.

As far as the phoning/texting/playing games/camera use, doesn't the iPhone do all that better, basically? I've never owned an iPhone, I just am worried that I'll lose some awesome feature when I dump Android for iOS. Is Google Maps/navigation free on the iPhone?

I am cool with a smaller screen, non-removable battery and lack of LTE. If there are other significant drawbacks to the iPhone then I may not switch.

Don't judge phone to phone. Ultimately its iOS vs Android. Which would you rather have?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Posting in case anyone can fix this. I have an HTC Rhyme and after you check the voicemail I get a text (from the phone's own number) listing the amount of voicemails, urgent messages, and faxes I have. Anyone know how to turn this off? The only solutions I found working with a Verizon phone rep were to subscribe to Visual Voicemail (which stopped the texts) or completely turn off voicemail notifications (which kills the point of voicemail).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Regardless of size, LTE, and such what is the best Android phone on VZW for battery life? The Rhyme may be returned if the replacement has software issues too. I'm considering an Incredible 1 or 2.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

helium muppet posted:

If anyone work works at Verizon or has done this before let me know:

I currently have an individual plan and am eligible for an upgrade.

My Dad has a family plan that I want to be on because it will be cheaper.

I want to keep my phone number.

So I get the upgrade with the 2 year contract, then call Verizon to transfer the plan? Is that the best way to do it?

No, you will lose the warranty on your new phone. You transfer to the family plan, then upgrade.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

For what it's worth the seller provided me with the ESN and it was approved per checkesnfree.com.

Call Verizon to check the ESN. It doesn't cost you anything and they're far more trustworthy than a random website. Although a Palm Pixi should only cost $20 so it's not to big a loss.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

Question for Verizon employees:

How easy is it to get my upgrade moved up a month? I'm eligible for my new every 2 or whatever upgrade on January 11th. Can I get that moved up to December so I can buy myself a Nexus for Christmas?

It would not be the worst idea to wait until January anyway. It gives you time to read reviews and see if VZW cripples their Nexus.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

waffle iron posted:

Yeah it was the HTC Merge. I think that was because it came to Verizon after US Cellular had it, so they were never going to promote it.

I thought it was the opposite, that it went to US Cellular because Verizon ultimately passed on carrying it. However, they'd approved it so they didn't block 3rd party sellers from selling it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Probably not. Just pay the fee, $35 is nothing for 2 years of a phone you actually want to own.

Exactly. Think of it as paying for a loaner phone for up to $14 days while you wait for the RAZR or Rezound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The way I looked at it, I either overpay for a 64 gig iPhone, or I don't have the storage space I need. Nobody else is even attempting to play catchup right now (how useful can Google Music possibly be if I have 2 gigs a month of data to play around with?), so they can afford to charge an arm and a leg.

Just buy an iPod Touch or iPod Classic and enjoy not having your battery life sucked down by music.

• Locked thread