Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Is there any timetable for Verizon/HTC pushing out Gingerbread to the Thunderbolt? I want root this thing, but I also want 2.3, and the sooner it comes out the sooner the ROM people can update...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Is there any indication of when Verizon is going to push out Gingerbread to the Thunderbolt? I know that there was a leaked GB build that several custom ROMs are now based off of (and which apparently caused bricking issues with the radio), but I'm wondering when the official release was planned.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

According to that article on Droid Life it looks like my area is getting 4G on July 21st. I don't live directly in Scranton, however, so I'm probably going to have to wait for them to expand coverage in order to get it at home. Regardless, this is pretty awesome news.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

For anyone in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA area, it looks like they flipped the 4G switch today. I just got my first signal. It's pretty drat nice.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ugg boots posted:

What phone do you have and how do you like it?

My phone is a Thunderbolt. Stock, unrooted, the battery life was pretty terrible but rooted with BAMF Remix 1.6.3 and the free version of Juice Defender it's pretty much awesome. I came from a Blackberry Storm 1, so it's like night and day. The battery life could still be better, but I don't typically do things that cause a heavy drain, like streaming video or whatever, so it's not bad enough for me to go and buy an extended battery or anything.

The 4G is pretty drat nice. It's faster than my father's cable modem, which I guess is to be expected considering Comcast is and always has been complete poo poo.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I used to get random reboots at least once every few days prior to the MR2 radio, but having flashed that (and a ROM that supports it) I've not seen a reboot since. The transition between 3G/4G areas is also faster, and the GPS gets a lock much quicker. Battery life on WiFi also seems a lot better.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

On my Thunderbolt, at least, the 4G signal, if it's weak or inconsistent, can devour the battery. It seems like the 4G radio just loves to eat power as much as possible.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alright, my upgrade is next month and I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S3. I have to ask, though, if it's possible to buy the 16GB and then swap in a 32GB micro SD (or, at least, I think that's what my Thunderbolt uses). Is it even possible to open the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

comper posted:

Yes, the back is removable and it gives you access to the battery, SIM card and SD card.

Awesome! So I can take my SD card from my Thunderbolt and slap it into the S3? I'm hoping!

• Locked thread