Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Auron posted:

Just a heads up, Verizon does infact charge you for outgoing texts from Google Voice. They are considered out of network texts. So...yeah..you're not getting free texting with google voice as I've found out.

But it's supposed to be data... :psyduck:

Edit: Hang on, are you using the actual Google Voice app? I know for sure that's data only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Auron posted:

At first I was replying using the stock SMS which obviously racked messages up, then switched to GV app and made sure that "received texts on this phone" was disabled on the GV settings and I"m still watching texts rack up on my verizon account.

This is my current text usage for this period:

I text far more than that through GV. Those 8 are from me using shortcodes (because Google Voice doesn't support it) for that Taco Bell/PS Vita thing and the local transit authority schedule and one from VZW.

You're doing something wrong.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If I buy an Incredible 2 locally through craigslist, I have pretty much no warranty right?

Verizon wouldn't exchange it if something broke, and neither would HTC?

Nope, most manufacturer warranties do not move on new owners if the product is used.

When buying used Verizon phones, insist on getting the phone's ESN to check with Verizon. You don't want to get burned on buying a blacklisted phone.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TPNMVZ posted:

Is there an easy way to port my number to Google Voice for full integration under Verizon? I've heard of a twenty dollar fee to keep my number and such but I'm wondering if it will affect my contract in general. I am on a family plan with unlimited data so I would like to maintain those as they are right now.

I only did it when my contract with another carrier was over with that I ported my number to GV. I'd give customer support a call, porting a number out of their system usually means you're canceling your contract and subject to ETF. I'm fairly sure you can change out the number, but keeping your old one could be an issue...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

AppleCobbler posted:

it works like poo poo on anything aside from sprint?

It works just fine. Granted I ported my number to Google before starting my service with Verizon. Could you elaborate on how it works as you say, "like poo poo"? I get all my voice mail and text messages the moment they occur. I maybe missing out on MMS messages, but it's not a deal breaker as I rarely use it and prefer other methods for people to send me pictures anyways.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SpartanIV posted:

I hate AT&T but drat if I'm not on their website right now looking at plans.

Don't bother, they'll be doing something similar soon.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The Catalyst posted:

I wonder if this feature will be DOA too (once the new plans hit). Since it's an add on feature, there's a slight chance that it'll remain live.

That's actually included in the new plans in a no longer unlimited way. They won't be charging for mobile hotspots. So if you have a phone that supports it, then you're covered.

Verizon Wireless Share Everything Plan posted:

Mobile Hotspot is included at no additional cost for capable smartphones and tablets. Turn your device into a personal mobile hotspot and share your connection and your plan's allowance with multiple WiFi-enabled devices.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

So, if I were to bite down and buy a phone out of carrier and if I wanted to change certain aspects of my plan after the Share Everything plans are put into effect, like reduce my text plan, could I still do so or would I be stuck with it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Welp, assumption of liability swaps are out of the picture past the 28th if you want to maintain your unlimited data.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Avoid-Dying-if-Your-Family-Likes-Verizon-Unlimited-Data-120095

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Who has experience with Verizon's insurance thing and can tell me how it works? My GNex poo poo itself today and I need to replace it, but I have no idea if they'll give me a decent phone or if I'll get stuck with some shitbag phone that doesn't work or what.

Most cases it will be the same phone if still in their lineup which the Galaxy Nexus should be. Otherwise, it'll be "equivalent" to it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Uh, doesn't that issues with 4G phones?

Edit: Oh, is that Casio phone even 4G? Nevermind then.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Has there been any recent news on Verizon's voice over LTE plans?

The leaks coming out for the new iPhone show only a 1440 mAh battery which is only a hair bigger than the 4S.

We also know Apple will not let an LTE phone out the door if it will have crap battery life, as they've said as much before. However it sounds like LTE in the phone is a foregone conclusion. If the phone needs to keep both radios hot so voice calls can come in, I'd have to imagine that a LTE iPhone with a Thunderbolt-sized battery would still offer something more along the lines of Thunderbolt-quality battery life as opposed to what people expect from an iPhone.

So what are the odds that Apple & the carriers will pull a rabbit out of their hats at the grand reveal here and say they're running VoLTE starting with the iPhone?

The thing that makes me think this is maybe in the works, beyond the battery size, is this set of localized warning messages that got dug out of iOS this spring. One mentions disabling 4G would terminate a call in progress, and obviously if VoLTE were used, turning off LTE would kill any call done over the LTE connection.

There's been months worth of rumors that Apple will be using newer Qualcomm chips with lower power consumption. The new panels have been rumored to use less power as well.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cross posting from the iPhone 5 thread:

Verizon released a statement regarding the unlocked SIM slot on their iPhone 5's. It's permanent.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/24/verizon-our-iphone-5-sim-slot-will-never-be-carrier-locked/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

Don't get the idea that Verizon is doing this because it's a good thing. They're only doing it because they're required to by their license to the Block C spectrum (where they run LTE).

Don't get me wrong. It's good, for sure. But it's only good because Verizon is required to do it.

I'm very much aware of the FCC ruling for it. I'm just glad they weren't being cagey about it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

JayKay posted:

Going from a Thunderbolt to anything recent/2nd gen LTE handset is going to be mindblowing.

I just dug out my Thunderbolt for alarm purposes (Argh, why doesn't iOS have Gentle Alarm?) and I can't believe I put up with that POS for as long as I did.

I ditched my Thunderbolt for an iPhone 5. It's been mind blowing experience. Imagine my joy of being able to actually USE my phone for its intended purpose.

Posted from my iPhone 5

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I know it exists as that's what the Best Buy rep was offering me when I got my phone on Black Friday. I want to say it was a 2GB and 4GB tier. Unfortunately it wasn't that great of a price and opted for the Everything Share Plan anyway since I was planning to bring my mother onto my plan with me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

They only exist if you're still under the old family and individual plans, new customers have to go with the Share Everything business.

I'm aware. My post was part of the discussion of the last 3 people above me were discussing and the fact that it was only available to current Verizon customers was already mentioned.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

I still show as validated, does everyone need to revalidate?

My understanding that you only have to revalidate if you have been contacted to verify your employment. I did it anyway just to be sure, it doesn't change anything beyond "yeah, this guy still totally works here."

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Is this a thing?

Edit: Guess so, got 10GB in my plan now according to my account details. Neat. :thumbsup:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 8, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

calmasahinducow posted:

Is there a way to get this piece of poo poo on my plan without losing my unlimited data? Verizon is telling me no and that I need a corporate plan.

http://www1.good.com/

None that I know of. They do that for Exchange access too last I checked.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh, then obviously my information is dated as hell. Circa 2006-2011 I had phone admin responsibilities attached to my usual IT day job and Verizon was very much into the "you need corporate data plan for Exchange and Good stuff" strategy.

Good is garbage anyway. Never liked it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Going to ask a dumb question.

Will we ever see unlimited data on Verizon again?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It was still worth it for me to go the Plan because my Mother's phone is off contract. Regardless of me still paying the 40 dollar access line access on my line, I still went down 20 bucks on my bill with 2 more gigs added on top of what I had.

Best thing is that she tends to run her devices into the ground so I don't have to worry about her upgrade for a good long time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

So I can't trade in 2 devices at the same time online? I'm trying to take advantage of that iPhone trade in deal (plus the new t-shirt plans to get the free 2GB per line thing) but once I set up the trade in on the checkout screen, I don't see an option to do another for the 2nd phone.

I guess I have to do it separately? :confused:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yep I had to do 3 transactions to upgrade and trade-in 3 iPhones.

Cool, process done after changing to the new plan. Little annoying but it got the job done.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I've been unsuccessful at finding a Verizon store with the 7 in stock to take advantage of the promotional trade in offer. I guess I'll have to order it online. The only thing is i have to go out of town for work for 5 weeks and the phone is estimated to be delivered in that time. Does anyone know how the trade in works if you do it online? I assume I keep my 5s until I get the 7 and then send it in? Is there a grace period to send it in? I'm wondering how this works if the phone arrives when I'm out of town.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Keystoned posted:

Is there and end date on the $650 trade in promo? I went in a store yesterday and asked the manager and he said no, but I thought I read here that it ends the 30th.

I am going in today to order two phones for my in laws but they wont be in town to hand over their old phones until Saturday the 1st.

All the terms I've seen say it ends 9/30.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Keystoned posted:

Have a link or anything? I went in today and they said the same thing - no end date yet.

I had them order me two phones with a shipping date in early November. They said when they get in to bring the old phones in for the credit and I should be fine since my order date of today is within the promo period. Sound reasonable?

It's on the front page of VZW, you can't miss it. I'll take the word of the corporate website over a dude in a retail store.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Crossposting from iPhone thread:

Thinking of skipping AppleCare+ this go around after 2 generations of iPhones with no real problems outside of stuff that was found during the first year of ownership. Does anyone know if iPhones purchased with a Mastercard with extended warranty works with device payment plan phones (in my case, Verizon's, because of their really good trade in deal)?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

And as a reminder, the iPhone trade in deal ends tomorrow.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Natural Laxative posted:

Quick question. My girlfriend took advantage of the trade in deal, the Verizon rep said she would get 650 for her 5S trade in, she waited a week to send it in and she was talking to the rep and he told her that the credit had gone down from 450 to 350, so they're saying it will only be a 350 credit now for her trade in and she was told 650 at the start, any idea what's going on here and if we have a leg to stand on?

Rep was wrong on all counts. 5S would have gotten her $400 dollars to start. $650 was for the 6/+ and 6S/+ only. When was the phone ordered? The deal ended on 9/30 and any trade in for that line should have been applied to that order date.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Enderzero posted:

Looking at buying an iPhone 7 128GB. On Verizon's site they list 3 options - the pay $200, add $31 on to your bill monthly option, retail price of $750 option and one that says it is $300 with 2 year contract.

Now I remember the old days where you agreed to a two year contract, paid $200 and your monthly bill was not broken out but was about $30 more than it should be so you still paid for the phone.

And nowadays your bill is just for service and then you can buy the phone and they add $30 a month for two years in an interest free financing situation - basically the same as before but with no contract - if you leave the remaining balance is due.

So what's the catch for this $300 deal? Since they refuse to show details, I'm reading it as you pay for half the phone and have the same contract, thus getting a half price phone in exchange for a guaranteed 2 years of you not leaving. It doesn't make sense. The only way I can square it is they pay $450 to keep you for two years instead of losing someone and needing a $650 buyout for a new customer. Or is the new contract just 450/24 more than your current month to month contract?

$40 line access fee instead of $20.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Enderzero posted:

So they're losing $430 instead of $450? Not much of a catch. Do I have the math right?

$40 line access is a monthly fee. $960 over 2 years. That's for one line.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 5, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Paying 300 + (40 * 24) = 1260

vs

Paying (20+31) * 24 = 1224

Forgot the 200 dollars for a total 1424. Not counting for data plans on either number.

I was just responding to what the catch was on the contract plan because it's not transparent. And I wasn't saying the DPP's are better.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 5, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Auron posted:

Verizon just screwed my on my iPhone 6 trade in. They're giving me $9.17 ($220) a month instead of the $27.08 ($650) with absolutely no reason listed why in the email. My phone was always in a case, in FLAWLESS condition. What in the gently caress? I had a bad feeling something like this would happen.

$220? I think that's around the non-promo trade-in value. Sounds like something wasn't flagged for the promo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

dexter6 posted:

There are only two iPhone 7 models made. GSM only and GSM/CDMA. You can check out the specs page. Mine is the CDMA.

The phone's hardware is 100% compatible, so you're saying Verizon as a policy won't activate it?

That is what they are saying.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Probably the smart move. Been waiting for my iPhone 6 trade-in to get updated though it's been a while since they've received it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

sellouts posted:

Is there any confirmation online of Verizon receiving your device trade in?

Under My Devices > My Orders.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Sweet. First phone got appraised today. They received on the 3rd of this month and got the email just now with the full monthly iPhone 7 trade in promo appraisal amount. I was a little concerned about the horror stories. The system works. :hellyeah:

Hopefully my Mother's iPhone 5 will show up later this week and that is a little worse for wear being that it's 4 years old but hope it'll get its proper appraisal amount since it's still in good shape. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

kensei posted:

The Pixel is a sexy phone. Camera is pretty nice, really fast, and I like the fingerprint reader on the back. Way nicer than the Note 7.

At this point anything that doesn't explode into a poisonous gray smoke is nicer than a Note 7.

• Locked thread