Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I noticed something new on the Verizon website. Our primary line (which is eligible for the now-phased-out "annual upgrade") doesn't show an eligible upgrade, but when I check out Phone Details, I see this:

quote:

Eligible for a discount! You are eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing. If you upgrade on or after 12/29/11 you are eligible to receive an additional loyalty discount.
Any idea what this "additional loyalty discount" is? For info, 11/29/11 would be one day past 20 months since the last contract extension was signed.

e: wait, is that just another term for the "New Every 2" discount?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

god this blows posted:

So with Verizon again talking about going to tiered data pricing, have they announced the pricing?
No.

And all the news articles I've seen about tiered data today all point to this one:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/20/us-summit-verizon-idUSTRE74I4NH20110520

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
^^ No one outside of Verizon's head office knows.

god this blows posted:

That was what prompted me posting the question. I'm looking at switching to Verizon middle of next month when my Sprint contract is up. I honestly don't use a ton of mobile data. Right now with 2 Palm Pre's and a dumbphone we're using under 1GB of data each month. I work at a place that I'd rather just use wifi since it wouldn't cost me anything so any data at work and home can be done over wifi. I just don't see a point in paying close to $100 in data fees when I don't even use 1GB but then again I know Verizon is still going to want to take as much of my money as they can.
I get you, and I'm in pretty much the same boat (but already a Verizon customer). Just waiting on something close to concrete to come out.

Personally, I don't see how they can do away with unlimited data when their online / OTA data counters are at least a day behind. I mean, I can see it -- they can do whatever the gently caress they want -- but that doesn't seem even close to "right".

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bull3964 posted:

That's exactly the way I read it. 1x will be around for awhile, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see 3G basically go away (in respect to handsets) from 2012-2013.
It would surprise me, as much as Verizon likes to (not unreasonably) flaunt its coverage map.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
All I meant was this is more likely, in my opinion:

quote:

1x will be around for awhile, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see 3G basically go away (in respect to handsets) from 2012-2013 2013-2014.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Endor posted:

Can anyone explain to me the point of Scenes? It's basically just a quick way to switch between a few different Desktop layouts, right? I guess I can see why someone might want a certain desktop layout for "Work Widgets" (news, stocks, email, texts) and another set for "Home Widgets" (photo galleries, Facebook, games, etc) if they're a real power user, but it seems to me like if you can't fit all the widgets and shortcuts you need on a full 7 home screens, you might want to pare it back a bit...
You might not want to use all seven screens.
You might want different backgrounds for different situations.
You might want a different set of quick contacts on the screen (and not show, say, clients or your boss when you're out with friends).
You might want to experiment with a layout, but not have to completely recreate the old one if you decide to revert.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Txiuct posted:

Is there a place to find the stock droidx rom?
There are links to many versions in this XDA post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11118819&postcount=2

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

stormrider posted:

Several blog sites are saying the roll out will start late this evening.

The update details and instructions PDFs are updated on the VZW support site:
http://support.vzw.com/system_update/droid_x.html
Assuming this update is functionally the same as the leaked .595, there are a couple of (imo) nice enhancements that aren't listed there.

1) You can dismiss individual notifications -- all notifications, not just calendar events.
2) You can set up three "Profiles" (a la HTC Scenes).

Honestly, if Blur could a) handle scrolling widgets and b) let you have multiple docks like LPP or GoLauncher, I'd probably just stick with pure stock (minus the Moto widgets).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

god this blows posted:

Does anyone know if Verizon allows you to turn on the mobile hotspot of a phone for a week/month and then shutting it off. Most of the time I have access to wifi but when traveling its something I would want for a couple days and then want to turn it off.
Yes, it's a feature -- you can turn it on and off at will. And unlike how "mobile broadband" used to be, with the hotspot it appears that you can turn it off via the vzw website, rather than having to call in and have them gently caress up your plan, making you call again ... But I digress.

Just keep in mind that although the cost is prorated, so is the data limit -- that is, you can only use about 66MB x (days active) of data without overage charges.

I've never turned it on, then off, then back on in one billing cycle, though. Not sure how they'd handle that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kyrosiris posted:

So here's a question - how long can I sit on my early-upgrade and final New Every Two discounts before they are lost to me?
By early upgrade, do you mean Annual Upgrade? If so, seems like you can sit on it forever (or technically for eight months, at which point it's moot since you'd be eligible for the standard 20-month upgrade):

quote:

New lines of service will no longer be enrolled in the Annual Upgrade program. If you are currently enrolled, you may redeem your Annual upgrade one more time after fulfilling 13 months of your two-year term or you may wait until after month 20 to redeem your New Every Two credit.

As for NE2:

quote:

New lines of service will no longer be enrolled in the New Every Two program. If you are currently enrolled, you may redeem your New Every Two benefit one more time for up to six months after fulfilling 20 months of your two-year term.
So, looks like it's up to 26 months after you last signed a contract.

quote:

Can I extend my contract without buying a new phone and still retain them?
I don't understand why you'd want to extend a contract without buying a subsidized phone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
^^ yeah, what he said.

Pianist On Strike posted:

Why are they so magical?
From its description, it's not magical -- it seems to turn your phone into a poller rather than using push.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

IanCaw posted:

I noticed that in the settings menu, under Wireless and Networks, it DOES list USB tethering and Wifi Hotspot, seemingly independently of vzw's official 3G Mobile Hotspot program. I'm a neurotic guy, though, so if I start playing with those settings, will that run the real android tethering stuff, or will it only run the over-priced fees of vzw's custom tethering programs?
Not sure about the USB part, but the wifi hotspot is tied to Verizon -- not sure if it's a custom app or just a setting in the Android app.

If it puts your mind at ease, you can't "accidentally" turn on the hotspot. If you turn it on, then the device that tethers to the phone will have a browser popup telling you to (and allowing you to) subscribe to the hotspot feature.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Moto said they'd start unlocking bootloaders in late 2011, so there's no reason to expect this one to be unlocked.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

chomper posted:

If I got to the VZW store tomorrow, will I only need to pay $199 plus tax for the iPhone 4? I can get the "discounted" 2-year contract price for any of the phones that have that special going on, such as $249.99 for the HTC Revolution, etc, correct?
Yes, it's just like using your own line's upgrade, except your father's line's contract will be extended, not yours. You'll have to be an "authorized user" (or whatever the term they use is) for the account in order to do it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Clowcards posted:

I have never had a smart phone before. Up until now I have used an iPod Touch and a separate basic cellphone. I would love to get an iPhone, but I feel like this is the absolute worst time to get one. It would kill me to be locked into a 2 year contract just as the new iPhones are announced. I am worried about carrying around an ipod and a android phone and everything at the same time.
I'd just get an iPhone, unless 4G in 2012 is something that's important to you.

It seems reasonable to assume the next iPhone will just be an incremental upgrade (an iPhone 4GS, if you will), and will not be announced for at least three months. Assuming that's true, AND assuming Apple goes back to their "new iPhone once a year, every year" policy, it'll be at least 15 months unlit the "iPhone 5" is available, and at that point you'll be five months away from an upgrade. If by some odd chance they announce the next iPhone in July along with the release of Lion, you'll still be within your 30-day return period.

Plus, you want one, you'd be able to carry one less device, and you probably have your media/apps already set up for your Touch. And Android phones frankly suck for listening to music and playing games -- compared to iDevices, at least.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah, that $30 is surprising. It's like they're saying "here, ATT, let us hand you your advertising program for the next year".

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Here's my Never Gonna Happen alternative: $20 for the first Gb + $5/Gb after that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mighty Horse posted:

Have a feeling that "grandfathered" people will not be grandfathered if they switch from 3G to 4G or if they change platforms (BB, iOS, Android) because the system has different feature codes for each one,
There's a separate feature code for iOS? That seems kind of odd and pointless.

I mean, I can sort of understand breaking out BBs because of the server shenanigans, but from the network's point of view what's the difference between an iPhone and an Android phone?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ryokurin posted:

Anyone eligible for a work discount ever purchased from Amazon wireless? I've built up enough gift cards where I could go for the thunderbolt for like $20 but I'm aware of their clause where they'll charge you $250 if you change your plan within 180 days.
The italicized part is incorrect. The extra charge doesn't kick in for plan changes, but plans being cancelled/disconnected. Actual text from Amazon:

quote:

When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 22, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Haha, this gets even more comically bad.

Are you one of the lucky people that gets a business (employer) "feature" discount -- usually 20%? It will no longer apply to the $30 data plan.

Congratulations, next month your bill will go up by $5.99/mo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Note: I'm not a Verizon employee, just a customer.

Acrolos posted:

So for those of us that get an overall corporate discount (I get 20% off of my bill, plus all accessories that I purchase), does this affect everything, or just the data?
Check your bill, and look on the left side. It should list an "Access Discount" and/or a "Feature Discount". It is (apparently) the feature discount that will cease to apply to the $30 data plan.

quote:

Do you have a news source on this, by the way? I can't seem to find anything. I work in an office building of about 2,000 people who mostly use Verizon. I'd like to forward the article to some of my fellow employees.
I got it from the info in this article.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hamburglar posted:

If Verizon drops my employee discount (it's like 26%) I'm officially jumping ship.
To clarify, the article implied that *only the feature discount would no longer apply* (and only for the $30 data plan), not the access discount for your plan.

That is, the part that goes away is just the discount percentage applied to your $29.99 data plan, which for most people is 20%, or $6.00. The 26% (in your case) discount would still apply to your voice plan cost.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
How's Sprint coverage in your area?

Virgin Mobile has a 300 min / unlimited data plan for $25/mo, and offer the decent Optimus V for $150.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Duckman and Bob A Feet, info you're looking for is in this article and in the scans found in the "Source Android Central" link at the bottom of the article.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

quote:

FTW
!!!111
REEDIC
B!G R3D
Hai
Financial suicide
After that, you are hosed. Period.
Do us all a favor and consider not posting for a few days.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

HondaCivet posted:

Edit: After asking around you can just add ala carte stuff to your account online without dealing with a rep so I guess it should be fine?
Yes you can add and remove text packages from the VZW website. I think you'll have to talk to a rep to get changes backdated, though (e.g. You sign up for 250 texts/mo, halfway through the month you realize you're going to go way over, so you bump up to 500/mo. You'll want to backdate the change to the beginning of your billing cycle, because the texts / day are prorated).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SpacedOut posted:

I know the first memory cards to be included were standard SanDisk Class 2 16GB memory cards, but after the refresh to 2GB cards? I don't know, but it's doubtful they'd go with a higher class if 2 worked well.
I got mine on launch day (or maybe the day after), and it has a Class 4 16GB card in it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Etan posted:

I've been reading about being grandfathered into the unlimited plan but I am still not certain about something. Say I bought a cheap smart phone now and signed up for the unlimited data plan. If I used my upgrade after the 7th and signed a 2-year contract would I be forced to switch to the tiered service. I know new lines have to but I can't figure out if it applies to new 2-year contracts.
Current info points to "no, you won't have to switch when you upgrade".

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

sadus posted:

No voice chat calculator, and a maximum of 2 hours streaming music and 1 hour streaming video a day... Not very realistic at all.
The truth of the matter is you don't live in the same reality as most other smartphone users (neither do I, for that matter).

We can toss out all the calculations and speculation we want, but unless "everyone else" is lying, not many people use more than a couple of Gb of data each month.

I don't see how people can ignore that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

They don't necessarily have the capacity to handle it though, that's my point.
Back to your original question, Duckman, assuming they really are having capacity issues I also think throttling would be the best solution for consumers. But in addition to throttling (most likely) netting them less money, there's also a potential PR problem -- if people start getting throttled, it's an admission that you have a capacity problem. Going to tiers and talking about "heavy users" "carrying their weight" allows you to spin the change as proactive, preventing a performance problem before it exists. Just looking out for you customers.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Any employee happen to know why we got a $6.00 credit on our bill? The Adjustment section shows this, which I've never seen before:

Promo Prorate PDA-Android for xxx-xxx-xxxx on 07/03/11

07/03 is the last day of our billing cycle. The number listed is the primary line, and $6.00 happens to be the same as our 20% feature discount on that line -- but the feature discount is already applied to the bill. There is nothing unusual about our previous four or five bills, either.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

decoy octopus posted:

Messed up is buying a Droid 2 off contract to replace a broken smartphone and taking it to a verizon store to activate and having them switch you off unlimited data even though your aren't really changing anything but your hardware. Happened to a customer who came in today.
Could/did you fix it for them?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tab8715 posted:

Gah. Really, has anyone had success?
I'm not sure of what you want to use it for, but my Droid X is set up to automatically have GV handle international calls, and that works fine (both outgoing and incoming).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ExcessBLarg! posted:

From what I see, it appears that Verizon is adding some additional routing entires to their Gingerbread ROMs (e.g., Thunderbolt) that route (wifi?) tethered connections to the paywall. There's apparently an "HTC routing-fix" in the beta builds of WiFi Tether to fix that.
Just tried that (on a Droid X), and it appears to work -- although it still seems to launch the stock 3G Hotspot app, so who knows.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pascallion posted:

What are my options for a Verizon smartphone that will consistently last all day (7 AM to midnight) with moderate or even light usage?
My Droid X will easily do 30 hours per charge, if there's no games/streaming/nav involved. But it'd be kind of dumb to buy a Droid X now, unless you could get one for a song.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Haha, 13 megapixel camera. Did I say 13? Heck, I'll make it 15!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes, I laugh.

Because it's laughable.

Hey, our phone camera is lovely, because it's a phone camera.
Know what we need? More Megapixels!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

yamdankee posted:

I'm intrigued, but I don't know how I'm going to get myself on a F&F plan. How could I possibly go about asking for this?
It's automatic for any plan that's not the lowest minute tier.

quote:

And if I did manage to get them to add F&F to my plan, would this rope me in to tiered data somehow?
Shouldn't if all you're doing is keeping the same plan but switching minute tiers.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Delthalaz, I'd recommend getting an iPhone unless:

1) 4G capability is important, or
2) You really like widgets on your home screen rather than icons, or
3) You need turn-by-turn directions (like, say, a Garmin unit) and don't want to pay ~$30 for an app, or
4) It's going to upset you that the iPhone 5 may be released in a couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can buy AppleCare straight from Apple's web site.

• Locked thread