Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«582 »
Devian666
Aug 19, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Cynnik posted:

well it looks like the bitcoin forums require a login now

FREE MARKET

Seems to be working for me. People are finally starting to point out that it's entirely possible that mtgox are lying and have created a witch hunt to divert attention. It's like people read my comments on that lovely live stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

aehiilrs posted:

Totally reminds me of this thread. Sadly I didn't get to see the Cosby popups while I was watching the stream.
Incidentally, the images are all hosted here since WaffleImages went down.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Secret Agent Cow posted:

It seems that atlas is feuding with the guy who got all of his bitcoins stolen in this thread a random guy arguing with atlas on behalf of mtgox.http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=20334.0

I can't believe atlas is trying to argue that the guy mismanaged his money when he was hacked on a website not owned or controlled by him.

Edit: It has now roughly disintegrated into Atlas saying that mtgox should just give Atlas the bitcoins he got through the hack. As well as role-playing cattle farmers?

Well, that he should get to keep the coins or get compensation for the trouble. If you are the victim of a crime, and you victimization inconveniences me, then you should compensate me for that inconvenience. After all, if you didn't want to get victimized you shouldn't have been dressed like that. Why should I have to pay for your poor judgement?

This can't be real. He must be a deep cover troll.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Cynnik posted:

well it looks like the bitcoin forums require a login now
If you try to open a deleted thread it'll seem like you need to login to access it.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

Looks like EFF doesn't even want bitcoins for free anymore https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin

edit: this is the worst http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skBb...filepage#t=385s

Cynnik
Nov 19, 2002

this seems all too familiar

Devian666 posted:

Seems to be working for me. People are finally starting to point out that it's entirely possible that mtgox are lying and have created a witch hunt to divert attention. It's like people read my comments on that lovely live stream.

could be the last few link i clicked on, but still

the invisible hand extends to support the undergaunch of bit coin enthusiasts

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr. Customs Man.

This is going so well I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the Free State project endorses bitcoins as their one and only currency. It's a perfect fit.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

zalmoxes posted:

Looks like EFF doesn't even want bitcoins for free anymore https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin
And they're donating all 3,500BTC they've received so far to the Faucet.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

This is way better than any TV show. Watching the general attitude on the Bitcoin forums slowly erode from "the Mt. Gox guys know what they're doing" to "Mt. Gox is dead" has been a pleasure.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Incidentally, the images are all hosted here since WaffleImages went down.

Thank you so much for this. I showed it to the security guy at work and it just didn't have the same impact without the images.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/com...lending_in_btc/

"Fractional reserve banking is a ponzi scheme that creates money from nothing. Bitcoin banks should instead have a system where they pay the depositors for the right to lend out the money they're holding!"

ManlyWeevil
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Wait, isn't that interest? I thought that had already been invented

JerleMinara
Jan 22, 2011

The way these guys are trying to tear apart the Kevin Day dude is kinda sad.

Poor bastard.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

ManlyWeevil posted:

Wait, isn't that interest? I thought that had already been invented

Remember the posts earlier in the thread, speculating that Bitcoin advocates would end up following the entire history of monetary development in fast-forward? I feel really stupid for taking them as just witty observations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Stop assuming extreme malice when it's probably just stupidity and light malice + racism (Which is cool and good!)

Oh man, I had no idea how beautiful it is over on their forum now. The way they're all turning on each other is delicious.

And I still think it's hilarious how they keep saying how many millions of dollars of bitcoins it was when the value of those bitcoins is exactly what he paid for them, since that's more or less the price he would get if he tried to fill all existing buy orders.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Are you tripping, Agent Dunham?

It'd be funny if that Kevin Day guy is joepie91 the lulzsec member.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

And I still think it's hilarious how they keep saying how many millions of dollars of bitcoins it was when the value of those bitcoins is exactly what he paid for them, since that's more or less the price he would get if he tried to fill all existing buy orders.

I love how they keep valuing everything in USD when Bitcoins are going to be the defacto currency of the future!

Shouldn't they be talking about how many Bitcoins it was and not how many USD in that case?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rudager posted:

I love how they keep valuing everything in USD when Bitcoins are going to be the defacto currency of the future!

Shouldn't they be talking about how many Bitcoins it was and not how many USD in that case?

Yeah but they know Bitcoins are worthless and USD are backed by ZOG. They should be expressing worth in dimebags, AK47s and Slim Jims.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Everyday Potato posted:

The way these guys are trying to tear apart the Kevin Day dude is kinda sad.

Poor bastard.

What? This is how it goes. Bernie madoff gets sent to the slaughter while people making 100X with a much bigger impact ride off into the sunset.

Ironically, "the hacker" prevented losses if you take a step back and look at it. Kevin Day was willing to take every cent from every single person involved. He's pissed about the fact he can't (outside of acknowledging a constant stream of selling) and whined about it at length while other idiots have moms power bill and house payment on the line.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Klomping endlessly thru the gray void...

Fun Shoe

gently caress it, they might as well value it in hobo blowjobs.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

staberind posted:

gently caress it, they might as well value it in hobo blowjobs.

That's great but during Libertarian RaHoWa the hobos are all going to be cooked and eaten like filthy kalua pigs.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Resulting in massive inflation/inflammation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Amarkov posted:

Remember the posts earlier in the thread, speculating that Bitcoin advocates would end up following the entire history of monetary development in fast-forward? I feel really stupid for taking them as just witty observations.

I hope the ride doesn't end too soon. If they can hold on a little longer we'll get to see into the future.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Angela Christine posted:

I hope the ride doesn't end to soon. If they can hold on a little longer we'll get to see into the future.

Soon all the mining pools will form a board of governors and manually adjust the hash difficulty to stabilize the economy.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

Angela Christine posted:

I hope the ride doesn't end to soon. If they can hold on a little longer we'll get to see into the future.

We already are

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010

Rudager posted:

They kind of have to make that comparison, as it wouldn't be too intelligible to use bitcoins as a way to compare value.

I mean, over the span of a month, 100 bitcoins went from being able to buy you a loaf of bread to being able to buy you a nice laptop to ending up barely being able to get you a pack of gum. It'd be hard enough to gauge the price of anything just by using bitcoins.

empiricus
Apr 27, 2011

by Ozmaugh

I'm learning more in this topic than I ever did in Economics classes..

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Nibiru posted:

Soon all the mining pools will form a board of governors and manually adjust the hash difficulty to stabilize the economy.

Seriously. Republicans have known it for a while, Libertarians get turned into conservatives when given actual power and problems.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Exactly that, the only potential value this has is explaining how not to get ripped off.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

empiricus posted:

I'm learning more in this topic than I ever did in Economics classes..

If I was an Econ Prof teaching anything to do with currency/commodities, Bitcions would have become my class the second I heard about it. Like others have said its going through the history of currency on fast forward and would be a great learning platform.

They would become the most insightful and hilarious classes ever.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Mufreesboro posted:

They kind of have to make that comparison, as it wouldn't be too intelligible to use bitcoins as a way to compare value.

I mean, over the span of a month, 100 bitcoins went from being able to buy you a loaf of bread to being able to buy you a nice laptop to ending up barely being able to get you a pack of gum. It'd be hard enough to gauge the price of anything just by using bitcoins.

The thing is though they're trying to make it a stand alone currency. I mean you don't get your USD paycheck and figure out how many Euro's you earned in the week now do you? Or have get your bank account hacked and equate how many Euro's worth of USD you lost.

A sexy submarine
Jun 12, 2011

Dear Buttcoin aficionados, even gold-bugs are laughing at you. That's how low you are on the social scale.

http://goldsilver.com/news/bitcoins...promised-share/

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010

Rudager posted:

The thing is though they're trying to make it a stand alone currency. I mean you don't get your USD paycheck and figure out how many Euro's you earned in the week now do you? Or have get your bank account hacked and equate how many Euro's worth of USD you lost.

Well, yeah, exactly. It's just that much more ironic that they're forced to make a USD comparison out of complete necessity. You can't really expect them to use bitcoins as a way to compare value because if they did, posts from just a few days ago wouldn't even make sense.

Although, the bitcoin may now have it's first consistent and meaningful value: completely worthless.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Invoking fairy dust is not a crime.

This whole thing has been hilarious. I just wish for the bitcoin market to have enough strength for a few more cycles of "Guys! everything is fine, the cyber-sky is the limit, buybuybuy!" before the final implosion.

- Son, you see all this here bitcoins?
- Yes dad.
- Well, one day they'll all be yours.
- You suck dad.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fiscal Darwinism.

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.

I was curious to see what buttcoins were going for on tradehill, since that seems to be the new place to make exchanges.

This was on the instant buy page:

Instant Buy has been temporarily disabled for a few days. Apologies!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

I hope the ride doesn't end too soon. If they can hold on a little longer we'll get to see into the future.

MtGox 3.0 will be a sentient system that will manage the entire economy with perfect efficiency down to the second.

I estimate roughly nine days until BitCoins achieve singularity.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Stop assuming extreme malice when it's probably just stupidity and light malice + racism (Which is cool and good!)

Even if Kevin wasn't able to pull out but 600 some odd coins from his haul, he couldn't have been the only person doing so. Who knows how many thousands of bitcoins were withdrawn from magic the gathering online exchange before they halted poo poo? If that was indeed the big common account that got drained, how do they determine the losses after they roll back the trades? There are no longer enough coins in the system. Are they going to eat it themselves, and at what price per coin? (ha, right) Will they try to spread the loss amongst the entire user base? Proportional by share of bitconomy? Equal amount across all users? (wiping some out entirely) It's going to be an interesting couple of days ahead.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

insider posted:

If I was an Econ Prof teaching anything to do with currency/commodities, Bitcions would have become my class the second I heard about it. Like others have said its going through the history of currency on fast forward and would be a great learning platform.

They would become the most insightful and hilarious classes ever.

Especially since we've already got hours of video interviews, painfully detailing these chucklefucks. For those who missed the latest trainwreck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0XvP841jaM

Once more we see Bruce at the top of his interviewer game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millstone
Dec 20, 2007

This is some text that is fake
and furthermore I would like to
drive my bike up your ass today.

Touching myself is lots of fun
although I am not very good at it.

gnarlyhotep posted:

Especially since we've already got hours of video interviews, painfully detailing these chucklefucks. For those who missed the latest trainwreck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0XvP841jaM

Once more we see Bruce at the top of his interviewer game.

Constant volume problems, cameras in demo mode, audio distorted, fat hosts, laggy Skype calls, lovely chairs, cameras left on for hours after the broadcast, Diet Coke -- this is The Bitcoin Show.

«582 »