Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«582 »
Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

TheBandOffice posted:

Even when not discussing bitcoins this forum is just...odd.

Awww, Atlas is about to discover existentialism. How cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 19, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Atlas needs professional help and instead asks a community of retards for help. Maybe he'll be the first suicide.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Still confident in bitcoins, Mr Atlas?

EDIT:

The only place bitcoin is going is up, up and up (with some corrections along the way) - triforcelink, bitcoin true believer

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

If atlas really wants some serious advice (and he's not an elaborate troll), it's to accept that he's got issues and the fastest way he can kill himself is to remain mired in adolescent, egoist philosophies that lead him to judge himself as a person primarily based on his financial productivity, to eschew compassion and altruism as weakness, and which inspire him to treat others the same.

Fortunately, he's 17. The odds are pretty good that he'll move beyond this stunted ideological phase. Most do!

Oh right and therapy is good.

Also that post is pretty much a wonderful indicator on how much money Atlas really thinks he has at this point in Bitcoins.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

It's a pity that none of the people threatening lawsuits against MtGox are likely to have the money to fund them because it would be extremely entertaining to watch that little drama play out.

quote:

Atlas needs professional help and instead asks a community of retards for help.

If he's lucky at least a few of them will suggest that he consult his doctor for guidance and not a messageboard full of whackjobs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

Fantastic.

Lolie posted:

Awww, Atlas is about to discover existentialism. How cute.

If it's Atlas as in Atlas Shrugged (given the surrounding circumstances I would say this is incredibly likely) then perhaps he's about to discover what it feels like to die.

For gently caress's sake, someone obviously in need of Haldol and counseling is asking a forum full of delusional objectivists and crypto-anarchists for help with suicidal thoughts and what is likely a voice in the back of his head constantly telling him he is worthless.

Folks'll just tell him that the only thing worthwhile he can do now is off himself (and rather publicly) to make as strong a statement as he can muster. Such as hanging himself from an overpass with a "PURESTRAIN GOLD" sign attached to his torso. I'm half compelled to tell him that he needs to a) call a friend he knows in person and b) get some psych help.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Devian666 posted:

Atlas needs professional help and instead asks a community of retards for help. Maybe he'll be the first suicide.

We already had that guy on the 2nd June who lost 7000 buttcoins. He went quiet since his last post, saying he was contemplating suicide, and hasn't posted since

Khmer_Ruse
Mar 31, 2010

It is clear these clowns are too incompetent to be handling such a valuable asset as buttcoins, which is why I always use the Mt. Goat Security Exchange with a proven track record stretching back years in the rectum backed security market they offer an extensive range of services and a willingness push the boundaries of the butt coin based economy. Despite many attempts of infiltration Mt. Goat SE has never suffered a nasty leak and are quick to plug any holes in their security. Put simply they are a safe pair of hands in these troubled times.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Rockybar posted:

We already had that guy on the 2nd June who lost 7000 buttcoins. He went quiet since his last post, saying he was contemplating suicide, and hasn't posted since

I'm more wondering when they'll have their first "puckins" case.

An armed libertarian shotgun rampage over buttcoins would be the perfect cresendo to this whole comedy.

Like maybe an armed siege at the house of the mt gox guy cops and maybe that dude who made the lucky cashout as the hostage or something. All waco styles.

Devian666
Aug 19, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

But what if mt goat se gets hacked? What would the roll back look like?

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

I've wasted way too much time watching the bitcoin show ep8 with the interview with the MtGox guys - and they completely avoided the direct question of 'was the account the buttcoins were transferred out of the mtgox account'.

I think we know why they're so adamant about rolling back the trades.

I hope the shifty looking guy who bought them all at 0.01001c attempts to sue them.

edit... if you persevere until ~29mins in they then deny it was their account

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Someone give Atlas this link

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2...the_objectivist

Khmer_Ruse
Mar 31, 2010

Devian666 posted:

It wouldn't be pretty that's for sure plus with there's always a chance that the bottom of the market could fall out if new investors are worried about the liquidity in the system.

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.

I kind of hope the whole bitcoin ordeal is declared as a scam and the FBI gets all the people their money back

It's really sad to see people losing their life savings.

Senor Tron
May 25, 2006

send em back to Islamistan or some shit

TheBandOffice posted:

Atlas reaches out to the bitcoin community for help:

Even when not discussing bitcoins this forum is just...odd.

I do like that he is listed as a "hero member"

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 24, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

If it's Atlas as in Atlas Shrugged (given the surrounding circumstances I would say this is incredibly likely) then perhaps he's about to discover what it feels like to die.

For gently caress's sake, someone obviously in need of Haldol and counseling is asking a forum full of delusional objectivists and crypto-anarchists for help with suicidal thoughts and what is likely a voice in the back of his head constantly telling him he is worthless.

Folks'll just tell him that the only thing worthwhile he can do now is off himself (and rather publicly) to make as strong a statement as he can muster. Such as hanging himself from an overpass with a "PURESTRAIN GOLD" sign attached to his torso. I'm half compelled to tell him that he needs to a) call a friend he knows in person and b) get some psych help.

To be fair, a lot of them did tell him to get therapy and one told him to quit reading Rand, so they're not all insane. Poor lil guy. I was a teenage idiot once too, so I don't want to judge him too harshly for his dumb ideas.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

I said a million dollars. With a million dollars (unintelligible) clemency. You couldn't do it till after the '74 elections. That's an incriminating thing. His, his word against the President's.

While you're waiting for the exchange to come back, you can play The MtGox RPG

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Devian666 posted:

tubgirl

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Atlas is my favourite person. I hope he's in the next stream's chat.

I think it's great that they NEVER STOP STREAMING, because it's highly likely that it's because they can't figure out how to stop.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

RedTeam posted:

Atlas is my favourite person. I hope he's in the next stream's chat.

I think it's great that they NEVER STOP STREAMING, because it's highly likely that it's because they can't figure out how to stop.

Goddamn, they're not letting guests enter the chat room anymore, also got no response to my mod request

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

There's an embedded irc at the bottom there that wasn't there around episode 6/7, that seems to work. Don't know why they need two chats though.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Rockybar posted:

Goddamn, they're not letting guests enter the chat room anymore, also got no response to my mod request

Just make a fake name with Chatroll. No e-mail verification required.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Bruce Wagner posted:

Does anyone know how to put in an istream?

I like these galaxy images, very soothing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Does anyone here know if someone has tried creating an extensive wiki/ED page about bitcoins yet? I haven't been on the ride as long as others have but the wiki page focuses more on the features and implementation than the history. Whoever said we're seeing a couple hundred years in a few weeks was right. I think it would be an amazing thing to capture and encapsulate in an economics.txt/libertarians.gif format.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

t3ch3 posted:

While you're waiting for the exchange to come back, you can play The MtGox RPG

Very nice.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

MagicalTux is now thumbing his nose at the community basically saying, "gently caress you, got mine. Try to sue"

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=20535.0

I really hope that someone in Japan (or elsewhere that has legal standing) is able to shut this pompous jackasses mouth with a nice big lawsuit over BitCoins. Even in a Japanese Court, the Judge and Attorneys will be comical in dealing with this nonsensical currency.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Furious Mittens posted:

MagicalTux is now thumbing his nose at the community basically saying, "gently caress you, got mine. Try to sue"

I really hope that someone in Japan (or elsewhere that has legal standing) is able to shut this pompous jackasses mouth with a nice big lawsuit over BitCoins. Even in a Japanese Court, the Judge and Attorneys will be comical in dealing with this nonsensical currency.

It's strange how all the "lawyers" he allegedly had never looked at his multimillion dollar two-man operation and thought: "You might want a ToS." Not to mention the huge negligence issues caused by the terrible exchange software.

Quantify!
Apr 2, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Furious Mittens posted:

Maybe they can get Judge Ito involved

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Nibiru posted:

It's strange how all the "lawyers" he allegedly had never looked at his multimillion dollar two-man operation and thought: "You might want a ToS." Not to mention the huge negligence issues caused by the terrible exchange software.

You get what you pay for with lawyers. Considering buttcoins only buy you drugs and slimjims, that's the kind of lawyers he probably hired.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

Furious Mittens posted:

There's actually a couple of good posts in that thread for once. One pointing out force-majowhatsit must be stipulated in a contract for it to be enforced, of which there was none defined between mt gox and it's user. And secondly that they are still on the hook for allowing 60,000 account details to be leaked.

I don't even think they've sought competent legal council yet.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 24, 2007

mr. nazi posted:

You get what you pay for with lawyers. Considering buttcoins only buy you drugs and slimjims, that's the kind of lawyers he probably hired.

You could probably get a pretty decent lawyer with enough cocaine. And he would work really fast because cocaine.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

I bet MagicalTux is regretting all the publicity he was doing to promote Bitcoin. Makes it so much harder to just quietly disappear with all the money, which would otherwise be his best bet right now.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Jombo posted:

There's actually a couple of good posts in that thread for once. One pointing out force-majowhatsit must be stipulated in a contract for it to be enforced, of which there was none defined between mt gox and it's user. And secondly that they are still on the hook for allowing 60,000 account details to be leaked.

I don't even think they've sought competent legal council yet.

Seems like this just got a whole lot more serious than whoever runs that site expected it to get.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

College Slice

They're going to leave the balances negative for people who withdrew BTC after the hack. Considering how badly coded mtgox is, this sounds like a very very very bad idea.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

ymgve posted:

this sounds like a very very very bad idea.
Well, that sure distinguishes it from anything else bitcoin-related. Oh wait.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

ymgve posted:

They're going to leave the balances negative for people who withdrew BTC after the hack. Considering how badly coded mtgox is, this sounds like a very very very bad idea.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start = INFINITE BITCOINS!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ymgve posted:

Just further motivating them to trade their coins elsewhere.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Wheeeeeee!

ymgve posted:

Clearly, the solution is to keep withdrawing from your negative account at that point and see how far negative you can make it go.

It's amazing how quickly everything involving bitcoins went from seeming like idiot libertarians to 12-yr-old counterstrike players whining over their microphones.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Furious Mittens posted:

The entire setup is blatantly shady anyway, and I bet that any of the principals who actually has enough money to fuel an international lawesuit would never do it, because who wants to go to prison for tax evasion? You know none of those fuckers is reporting any profits they're making.

e: that thread is particularly funny because the biggest complainers seem to be the ones who would be benefiting from scamtrades enabled by the hack (bought at way under regular market price). They kinda want it both ways, punish mtgox but keep their scammed money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Sundae posted:

It's amazing how quickly everything involving bitcoins went from seeming like idiot libertarians to 12-yr-old counterstrike players whining over their microphones.
Are you entirely sure there's a distinction there?

«582 »