Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
So a lot of people on the bitcoin threads in other forums, reddit, etc. are saying you have to look at the graph on the logarithmic scale in order to understand the 'real' change value. Can someone tell me why this is or isn't a bunch of bullshit trying to hide how volatile the market is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Please tell me I'm not the only one who isn't having a hard time morally not exploiting the gently caress out of these people? Seriously it seems like taking candy from a baby.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Elysiume posted:

How do you plan to exploit them? They seem to be doing enough harm to themselves. They are babies throwing candy down storm drains.

From one post from an SA member it almost crashed the entire market. I'm pretty sure a group of 5-10 people could easily manipulate the market to what would make a profit for them.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Everyday Potato posted:

Speaking of the inventor, I think it's awesome that nobody knows who he is. He's just a name that disappeared and dropped off the project in late 2010.

Nobody's ever met him.

There's no trace of him prior to about a month pre-Bitcoin.

He's just an identity that existed for long enough to start bitcoin and then poof.

Thats a smart inventor for something like this.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

ins1der is me sadly. I wish I knew more about this poo poo so I could not seem retarded as they do.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

From looking at Mtgox it looks like its taking a nose dive again.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

TC_ posted:

(Hours from now)

:argh: "That son of a bitch Insider over on SA caused this!"

Edit - maybe you'll be accused of insider trading :rimshot:

God I hope so that would be hilarious.

Its going down pretty steadily though. It looks like it did a few hours before the last crash.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Once this thing crashes and burns I'm really looking forward to the huge amount of awesome video cards that will be on ebay for super cheap.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

http://www.livebitcointicker.com/

I hope you guys are watching this poo poo. Watching this crash real time. Just dropped another .50 cents in like a minute.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

$18 seems to be its support level and it keeps bouncing off of it. drat come on break through and crash!

insider
Feb 22, 2007

I leave for an hour and its already down another 2 bucks. This is amazing. I wonder if the people who bought after the first crash are starting to panic yet.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

just saw this on Twitter

Has anyone tried to ballpark this? Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insider
Feb 22, 2007

empiricus posted:

I'm learning more in this topic than I ever did in Economics classes..

If I was an Econ Prof teaching anything to do with currency/commodities, Bitcions would have become my class the second I heard about it. Like others have said its going through the history of currency on fast forward and would be a great learning platform.

They would become the most insightful and hilarious classes ever.