Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Didn't read the whole thread but did anyone mention how you could charge a flat fee for goods or services if bitcoins' value fluctuates so wildly? Today 1bc apples might sell for $9 but tomorrow they might be $2 and i paid $3 an apple wholesale.

vvv Oh, so I'd set a price as a variable based on current bitcoin value rather than a static amount and the system works it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dr. Pwn posted:

Literally every business that accepts bitcoins pegs their prices to some form of dirty gubbmint fiat money.

Yeah this seems like the biggest reason (among many) not to use bitcoins as a merchant, it's just an extra uncertain step when you can just ask for real money in the first place. It's really the perfect currency for fleecing fresh-faced young entrepreneurs looking to get in on the Next Big Thing.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is it feasible to think, when the bitcoin bubble bursts, that there'll be more than a few tricked-out gaming computers going on the market below-cost to try and make up for lost investments?

"Sir I would like to buy a piece of your abandoned mining rig, I'll give you six hundred for it."

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Millstone posted:

Constant volume problems, cameras in demo mode, audio distorted, fat hosts, laggy Skype calls, lovely chairs, cameras left on for hours after the broadcast, Diet Coke -- this is The Bitcoin Show.

Face-tracker rectangles was the best part of the whole presentation, in my opinion. Targeting the show's guest and presenter, who is actively banning people from a chatroom while interviewing the man who brought financial trade market Magic: the Gathering Online Exchange to its knees.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How do you guys imagine you'll be able to control this little helicopter? I don't think the analog controls these things come with support online use.

Also just going to put it out there that The Bitcoin Copter flying up into the air, stalling and crashing to the floor will be at once symbolic and extremely inevitable.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ManlyWeevil posted:

I assume control by consensus from the chatroom. We each click a control, and it either responds to all of them or to the most popular one.

No I mean that implies there's a web interface coded up and there's a means for their computer to broadcast the signals to the copter, like a USB antenna. Unless someone volunteers to start coding something like that you'll have to be content with Bruce or Josh asking you "Okay what would you like to see it do next?" and plan your answers accordingly.

e: like "can you attach your camera phone to it and remote-broadcast? can we get a view out the window? can we look over the street? how far out can it go?"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

homeless snail posted:

^ So he wants to back the Bitcoin with TF2 hats? :psyduck:

Specifically he wants to trade the $2.50 key items in the in-game store for Bitcoins, which is a rather abstract and unexpected way to adhere the value of BTC to the USD.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Bible posted:

This idea is literally insane.
I like this response to the idea:

bitcoiner 'peach' posted:

Your method overlooks the fact that this will introduce an unhealthy number of new keys into the TF2 economy, thus causing them to lower in inherent value, thus creating a downward spiral wherein the disparity in values between BTCs and keys grows further and further apart. With that said, I've never played TF2, so I could be missing something.
The value of keys will plummet whereas Bitcoin has nowhere to go but up Up UP!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

mexicanmonkey posted:

I'm now imagining two people having a conversation and one of them suddenly speaking nonstop for however long it would take someone to say sixty pages of words.

I believe someone actually read it aloud to see how long it'd take and clocked it at a breathtaking three hours. This would also have been the entirety of the third part of the Atlas Shrugged movies, had the first one not bombed as hard as it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Atlas goes out of his way to pad everything he types with syllables. I, entrepreneurial ideaman that I am, will be proud to compensate in Bitcoin a team of intrepid coders, programmers, scriptsmiths and skilled laborers to concoct, construct and commence some manner of Atlas-to-Layperson copy transcoding program with a reverse-gear Atlasification function a User could feed text into and receive translated monologue.