Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

BondGamer posted:

2) Bitcoin crashes after you pay off the hardware, you end up with tens of thousands of dollars of equipment to use/sell.
3) Bitcoin crashes tomorrow, you could still potentially make a profit reselling completed computers on Craigslist.

Both these assume you can offload them at a rate that gets them gone in a decent timeframe at a decent price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

duck hunt posted:

Actually it seems like the community of users is pretty good. If bit coin was all about scamming, then very few people would be using them, which decreases their overall value.

Have you visited the BTC forum lately?

There's more "OMG I LOST EVERYTHING/GOT SCAMMED" threads than most else these days, they're at the point where they want people to setup essentially BTC banks to stop it.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

evensevenone posted:

There's like two of those threads and reading the first sentence of them will reveal that their posters were complete morons.

have you noticed the threads offering services that half of which seem to get hacked?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

You could probably social engineer Newegg into giving up the info for that P.O. number that is clearly shown on those MSI boxes, assuming he got everything from there.

Surely he didn't buy them retail.... :psyduck:

I mean if I'm buying that quantity of hardware for my "business" I'd go straight to the wholesalers.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

If it is wholesale why did he buy the same card but various brands? It seems to me he had a number of machines he wanted to build and a card model he wanted(those 890FXA-GD70s are the only different ones) but could not get the same brand for all of them because of stock. Also, I thought wholesalers dealt more in volumes of "half a cargo container" not 100 or so video cards and not even of the same make/model.

I'd call an order for possibly $25,000+ worth of hardware sufficient for a wholesaler.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

Good point but it still does not explain why he has five different brands of the same video card. I guess I have a different idea of "wholesale" vs. just getting discounts for quantity purchases from a regular online retailer. Though it does appear Newegg does not do this(perhaps through direct sales only), so maybe elsewhere.

Probably just said "give me every card you have with X chipset" or whatever.

However having seen what else these miners have done, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he bought it all from a retail outlet.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TC_ posted:

Maybe he's just an idiot, have we considered that?

Blowing $25k or more on computer hardware to search for monopoly money?

I think you might be onto something with your hypothesis......... :raise:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

Anyone know why the ATIs are so much more faster at calculating hashes than the Nvidias? Does this translate to real-world 3D performance or just this specific instance? I am extremely biased against ATI because of having to deal with their horrible drivers for over a decade at work.

ATI cards can do more things in parallel or something, so they get more calculations done in the same time, or something like that.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said above.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Devian666 posted:

I think you mean a card that ran 24/7 with inadequate cooling of three blower fans in an enclosed room with no cooling. Then again would you buy them from the guy who's become retarded from heat stroke? Given he originally purchased them by swapping his car and cat for bitcoins.

It's a tough call.

On the other hand, possible dirt cheap as they try to panic sell them like they will their precious Bitcoins.

Guess it depends how cheap.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Running a that many video cards at 100% (maybe even 110% if he overclocks them a touch) is going to need at least proper 24/7 A/C, a couple of fans blowing the hot air around isn't going to accomplish much.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Thompsons posted:

Welp I'm retarded and don't understand computers :downs:

What's the shelf-life of these cards anyway when they're running every hour of every day with lovely/non-existent cooling?

The life wouldn't be that terrible if properly cooled, and most GPU's, CPU's and motherboards have at least some basic failsafes to try and prevent the electronics from frying in the even of a cooling fan failing, but it is going to bring them closer to their death.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=d76d0971f5ab6525151cfae02adee045&topic=17451.msg228126#msg228126

I love these guys.

It's perfectly stable! LOOK AT MY GRAPH WITH RANDOM LOGARITHMIC SCALES PROVING IT!

Even these guys thing Orange's argument doesn't work.

quote:

A stable price is welcome, but we must remember that difficulty went up 50% yesterday. The price didn't budge. There's no reason to believe the price will go higher when difficulty again goes up by 50% in a week's time. Within the space of around 2 weeks a miner will be making less than half what they used to.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Doody the Clown posted:

That graph is for volume of trading, not value. The dip makes sense because the huge increase in activity was when somebody cashed a ton of Bitcoins out at the same time which is what caused the huge decrease in price in the first place.

That's the context he's using it in yes, it's still a completely misleading graph using a linear scale for volume and a logarithmic one for value that conveniently downplays the massive fluctuations in price recently while showing a steadily increasing rate of trading making it look like a stable rise in both, not a complete wild roller coaster.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

Wow I only just noticed the politics forum. and it's full of loving atlas goldmine material:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17431.0 BITCOINS FOR CHARITY

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16872.0 POVERTY IS A LIE

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17638.0 WISHES HE WORKS IN A SWEATSHOP

and more! loving atlas and his stupid loving ideas and libertarian bullshit.

He's sounds like the pretty typical 17 year old only child with fairly well off parents and has no idea about how the world works outside his basement.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Devian666 posted:

The real question is how to capitalise on making GBS threads up the bitcoin community.

Ransom control of the system off for a sizeable chunk of Bitcoins. When they pay up post a video of you showing the wallet.dat file on a cheap USB stick, then pulling it out of the computer and smashing it into dust with a hammer/microwaving it/putting in a bucket of salty water that's been electrified by a car battery, all while laughing manically.

EDIT: Actually, since they're mostly libertarians you should film yourself giving it to a homeless person or something.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It would be funny if peoples' experience with Bitcoin means a bunch of ignorant "libertarians" learn that regulations might not be totally bad all the time.

Oh how optimistic you are my friend, the much more likely scenario is that they'll blame the regulations for it's failure.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

dipwood posted:

Sweet, the 3,000 bitcoin $15.30 wall crumbled! That allowed the price to tumble all the way down to $12 before adjusting. Once people re-listed all their bids and asks after that point, the entire market depth shifted to the left, creating new walls.

Right now, the fluctuation range is between $13.20 and $15. Someone would have to buy around 5,000 bitcoins to break the upper wall and restore the price to yesterday's levels. The lower wall is actually $12, with 6,000 bitcoins. There's a small wall at $13 of 1,000 bitcoins, but that amount is so slow I only give it a 30/70 shot of actually being a wall.

This is hilarious, I woke up an hour ago and was reading about how it was holding at $15-$17, and it's already smashed it's way through that.

dipwood posted:

It's fun to pretend to be an economist for a market where all the participants are morons!

It makes alot more sense when you compare it to MMO markets and notice that they seem to have a similar level of impatience when it comes to moving their product when they want to sell, people in MMO's can NEVER wait to sell their poo poo to the point where they sell it for less than cost rather than waiting for a profit sale.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

dipwood posted:

Mystery buyer spotted! Someone bought over 7,000 bitcoins in the last 10 minutes.

(That's over $100,000)

Jesus Christ, WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

gnarlyhotep posted:

Serious question: what do these guys think would happen if the US gov't was charged with treason? (it makes absolutely no sense but bear with me)

Would there be a new gov't in its place? Anarchy? What could possibly be his end goal here? I can't follow this logic.

Liberpocalypse, 6 months after the US gets charged the true libertarians are taken to libertopia while the rest of us don't give a gently caress.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Good old conspiracies, yes I'm sure a few trillion dollar worldwide industry is shaking in their boots over some random internet guys proof of concept cyrptocurrency.

I'm also certain that if Bitcoin truly did take over as the standard currency worldwide, that banks would find some way to profit from it the same they do currently.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

Pretty dumb to make a thread about how you're losing money, thus scaring other potential miners off, instead of just silently selling your gear to other idiots at 95% price. Then again, it's already pretty stupid to spend 11k without doing the math first so I am not surprised.

Or a deliberate scare tactic to reduce the difficulty.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yep, that's how it would work. But the odds of 75% of the processing power disappearing from the network right after the update are pretty small.

People aren't likely to pull their computers from the network, though, since once they've already bought them and put them into use they're going to keep mining with them until the cost of electricity is more than the value of the bitcoins. The guy who was linked to above only did so because he hadn't yet opened the boxes on most of his equipment, so he could still sell it as new equipment.

He's also probably the only guy that's done the actual proper math on it and not just gone "FREE MONEY!" and rushed down to the closest computer shop to buy it out.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Realjones posted:

There was money to made be made from huge mining farms (that 48 Ghz youtube farm was pulling down $2000 a day not too long ago), but that time is over. Anyone that didn't have their stuff up and running at the 567000 difficulty will have a tough time even paying off their stuff.

I think alot of people don't factor in the whole difficulty thing when they do their calculations, you basically need to be making enough to pay off whatever you buy in a matter of weeks before the difficulty increases again and eats into whatever margin you had.

It's for that reason I think the intention for the mining aspect was never to be a big "commercial" thing, but more like a F@H client that Bitcoin users run in the background on their home PC.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I just opened up the stream and got an ad for Bank of Queensland. I giggled at it.

This is the most terrible production ever.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
"Alot of security guys say bcrypt isn't that good"

Well I'm convinced!

EDIT: Watching this guy pass the mic about everywhere is loving hilarious, this couldn't be more amateur if they tried to be.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I love how everytime he asks the Mtgox guy a question, his answer is always "uuuhhhh give me a minute...."

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Xandu posted:

To be fair, he's just answering the questions for the owner who doesn't feel comfortable with an interview in english, so he has to keep consulting him.

Oh, well that explains that then

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Wow a new CMOS sensor! How interesting.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Did he seriously just imply his programming team were hackers with no formal qualifications?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

barking frog posted:

That's interesting. Have we just been trolled?

I think the more likely scenario is that they're just clueless.

Also it was the Tradehill guy who said they would look into SSL if it was cost effective.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

waffle posted:

What is this. I jsut turned on the feed and the guy is telling everyone to youtube some girl he has on his cell phone. How long is this supposed to go on for? Is this guy drunk? These are questions I need answered

It ended about 20 minutes ago, they're just shooting the poo poo now.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Even more puzzling, since Tradehill is SSL-certified by Starfield Technology right now.

Hey man, they have some security experts from the grey area of hacking, I think they'd know if they were SSl certified....

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

illiniguy01 posted:

what is the waitfor delay supposed to do?

Probably a script to create a bunch of new accounts for people wanting to withdraw more than $1000/day.

Or at least htat's my guess.

EDIT: Oh ok ^^ makes a lot more sense.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Peter Ugsly posted:

Tell me there was a recording made of that interview, or at least a transcript somewhere.

I don't know, but I just found this

http://onlyonetv.com/?p=57

And from about 10 minutes on it's an aboslute goldmine of hilarity when they start talking about what Bitcoin is.

EDIT: Therealplato says he sold his TV for 150 Bitcoins and that's good for 3 tanks of gas, thats some loving expensive gas :aaa:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

So this exchange MTGOX how do they make money to cover their expenses? I got the impression that they charge fees for transactions but is it in dollars or bitcoins?

0.65%, in USD.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

spidoman posted:

They take a percentage of bitcoin transactions, in the form of bitcoins, I assume they then sell off those bitcoins in their own market for cash. You know, something that actually has worth.

edit: Or not, guess I was misinformed.

I'm 95% sure they just charge 0.65% on outgoing USD withdrawals.

Which is partly why I never got the $1000/day limit, but I guess it must be working for them.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Secret Agent Cow posted:

It seems that atlas is feuding with the guy who got all of his bitcoins stolen in this thread http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=20334.0

I can't believe atlas is trying to argue that the guy mismanaged his money when he was hacked on a website not owned or controlled by him.

Edit: It has now roughly disintegrated into Atlas saying that Insanity should just give Atlas the bitcoins he got through the hack. As well as role-playing cattle farmers?

loving hell I hope Atlas's parents kick him out on the street and he ends up having to suck cocks in an alleyway to pay for all his libertarian needs.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

And I still think it's hilarious how they keep saying how many millions of dollars of bitcoins it was when the value of those bitcoins is exactly what he paid for them, since that's more or less the price he would get if he tried to fill all existing buy orders.

I love how they keep valuing everything in USD when Bitcoins are going to be the defacto currency of the future!

Shouldn't they be talking about how many Bitcoins it was and not how many USD in that case?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Mufreesboro posted:

They kind of have to make that comparison, as it wouldn't be too intelligible to use bitcoins as a way to compare value.

I mean, over the span of a month, 100 bitcoins went from being able to buy you a loaf of bread to being able to buy you a nice laptop to ending up barely being able to get you a pack of gum. It'd be hard enough to gauge the price of anything just by using bitcoins.

The thing is though they're trying to make it a stand alone currency. I mean you don't get your USD paycheck and figure out how many Euro's you earned in the week now do you? Or have get your bank account hacked and equate how many Euro's worth of USD you lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
The gently caress is the point of this 24/7 live webcam OnlyOneTV has going?