Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, seriously, what the gently caress is the point of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why is "BTC" the accepted shortening for "Bitcoins"?

There's no "T" in it besides the end of the first word. That makes no sense. They should be "BCs" or "Bits" or just "Bitcoins".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

My PIN is 4826 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217

All currencies have three letter acronyms, but the United States Dollar is the only one that has an acronym where the letters come from the initials of three words.

So... "BIT".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't even figure out how to start mining bitcoins. Is there some kind of guide?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't get my computer to generate any Bitcoins. :(

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

UrbanFarmer posted:

I'm in the process of setting up a goon mining pool with easy to follow directions. Just hang tight :)

Even if you do, aren't a shitload of the coins gonna be gone, and now it'll take days and days of continuous running miners to generate any?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BabyRyoga posted:

I set up this thing to mine for bitcoin today before leaving the house. Now I have returned, expecting to be rolling in currency but instead my computer fans are about 5 times as loud as normal, and the temperature in my room has increased.

When will I be rich?

Also, will I wake up tomorrow with a heatstroke

Yeah, I thought I might be able to just run this stupid thing while I'm loving around on my computer, but it just made my room hotter and my computer less happy, and I didn't generate any.

Fuckit.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drone_Fragger posted:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13623.0 Someone has a moment of sanity and points out that this is loving absurd and theres no way this is permanant, and everyone just laughs at him and tells him to look at the same graph except using a log of both axes, which proves exactly the same fuckin point except in a more difficult way for idiots to understand it.

Are libertarians born retarded or does it come with the title "libertarian"?

It comes with the title. Seriously, Libertarians usually have no idea how much poo poo the government pays for that they enjoy regularly, like clean air, clean water, roads, lack of being invaded by Mongol hordes... Paying private companies for this would get very expensive, very quickly.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, how come Malwarebytes keeps pinging outgoing Bitcoin.exe stuff as being malware? I'm not even running the program.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Since I've been watching it, it dropped from 13.5 down to a little over 11.8.

NOW'S THE TIME TO GET IN ON IT, SO YOU CAN BUY LOW AND SELL HIGH! :pseudo:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, I've stopped following the thread for like five days. I think the last big thing I saw was a shitload of hackers stealing people's buttcoins. What's happened since then? Is there a website chronicling the spectacular greasefire that is the failure of buttcoins?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Didn't MtGox crash at some point and make the price of buttcoins crash spectacularly? Is there even a "price" for buttcoins right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Millstone posted:

No there are other exchanges. "Jered" runs TradeHill.com which is an equally shady market. There are strong suspicions it's run on a shared server though, because it crashes all the time. The price there is around US$15.

Unfortunately something like 95% of buttcoins are being held up by Mt. Gox so the volume on the alternative markets is very low.

What happened to the market-site that posted a thread in one of the major Buttcoin forums, and was found to be lovely and full of security holes, as well as using floating point decimals for all their numbers within ten minutes of being open?

edit:

Rudager posted:

Don't forget the Bitcoin7 guys who can't figure out why using floating point numbers to store the account balances isn't a good idea.

These guys, yeah. Did their site die yet?