Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

tiananman posted:

And they still hold gold. That tells you all you need to know about whether the Feds think gold is money or not. Obviously they do, or central banks wouldn't be sitting on tons and tons of the stuff.

How many tons we talking here? Just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

tiananman posted:

How much gold? According to the US Mint, there are over 5000 short tons of gold in Ft. Knox.

Ah, thanks.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pizer posted:

As far as i know this is the only bubble that actually has an essentially zero(electricity) cost of entry.

Electricity is a "zero cost of entry"? How old are you? Since you're apparently 14, in order to get electricity to any structure, there is a cost. Both up front as a deposit, and monthly based on usage. Electric power isn't free, you loving moron.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pizer posted:

LOTS OF BULLSHIT

How about you answer my question? How are you able to afford the electricity which is necessary to "mine" your Bitcoins?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pizer posted:

I pay something like 11c/kwH. I dont know much it varies day by day. I pay this with money I make at my job. They put money into my bank account every two weeks.

So you pay for your fake currency with real currency that you make working at your job. Got it.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pizer posted:

Yup, then i turn my fake currency into real currency!

I rest my case.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Millstone posted:

So just like peak oil there is peak buttcoin?

No. Peak Buttcoin is hardcoded in the Buttcoin client at 21mil (right now).

e: \/\/\/ dude, if you're going to even attempt to discuss this poo poo, you need to read the thread

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Devian666 posted:

If any eve goon actually wants to get into bitcoins you can buy them at a rate of 650m isk per bitcoin.

gently caress that! I can buy a fully fitted Tech 3 cruiser with 650m. Although if these buttcoins are carried in cargo I could rob them...hmm...

This is the Next Great EVE Goon Scam, my friends.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ayekappy posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT A CHART THAT ONLY SHOWS A BIG DROP INSTEAD OF A MINOR RETRACEMENT DOWN IN THE BIGGER PICTURE!

You're no better than Fox News, dick.

Nausea posted:

I genuinely hope bitcoins succeed just so everyone can be proven just as loving annoying, rabid, and ignorant as the libertarians they can't shut up about. I can't figure out what type of frothing sperg i should be most against.

Gettin' mad about buttcoins ITT.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Devian666 posted:

Not that difficult. I was thinking about the possibility of creating one but using it to troll the bitcoin community. Have a publicly stated objective to maintain 51% of the hashrate and to create a compromised block chain. The site would probably need some DDoS protection though.

So how would you implement this? Would it require someone to run a central exchange, or what?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Devian666 posted:

Setting up a mining pool doesn't look too difficult. The real question is how to capitalise on making GBS threads up the bitcoin community.

e: "goons ruin everything"

I'm not all that worried about capitalizing on making GBS threads up the community so much as just making GBS threads it up. And I wouldn't say "ruin", so much as "improve".

e: PM me, we'll talk about it more in depth

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I'm working on setting up a new "dark pool" exchange, just for goons. It's just in the planning stages right now, I'll post again with details.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I think the blockchain only needs to be verified by 50% plus one of users on the Bitcoin network. That is, each user's vote for the authoritative blockchain is equal, unlike mining, where compute power gives some users advantages over others. Obviously such a scheme could never go wrong

Someone correct me if this is wrong.

That's entirely possible, but if everybody finds out about it by watching this thread, I don't think it'll work. This market is heavily influenced by speculation, as we know. We would have to keep it "off the grid" as it were...PMs and the like.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

As of right now there have been 317 bitcoin transactions in my private dark pool. I'm no economist, I'm an IT guy. How will this effect the bitcoin economy? Or will it have no effect?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Just had a 1500btc transaction go through my darkpool. I've only had this thing up for about 3 hours. If this kind of volume is moving just in private exchanges, how can the public price be anywhere close to accurate?!?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

TheBandOffice posted:

Holy crap this thread is a goldmine of stupid:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13882.20

Serious question: what do these guys think would happen if the US gov't was charged with treason? (it makes absolutely no sense but bear with me)

Would there be a new gov't in its place? Anarchy? What could possibly be his end goal here? I can't follow this logic.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Guys I don't think we can discount the theory that Bitcoin is being manipulated by a non-telepathic arm of the Second Foundation. I've been conducting such conspiracy research for 377 years.

Don't believe him people! HE'S THE MULE!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Lolie posted:

In the real world, an exchange would have been working non-stop to investigate the claims of hacked accounts over the last few days and to establish whether there was a flaw in their system which made the accounts vulnerable. MagicalTux should have been reassuring people from the outset and doing so very publicly.

Even if MtGox doesn't go offline while this is investigated, it should sure as poo poo bother people enough for them to stop trading until it's resolved.

No, you don't understand. This currency is based on math and isn't subject to the whims of an evil, gov't controlled market soRAND RAND RAND RAND RAND BOOTSTRAPS RAND RAND

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Lolie posted:

Apparently these folks have never heard of Occam's razor.

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. It's like every E/N OP got together and made a market based on emotions. EmoCoins. I hate myself now.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Orange Sunshine posted:

Here are pictures of the pizzas which were bought for 10,000 bitcoins 13 months ago. http://heliacal.net/~solar/bitcoin/pizza/

Papa John's?! That poo poo is worse than Domino's. Ok, so they got pizza but they ain't got taste.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Flesh Forge posted:

EVE's economy:

Well that's mainly because (very unrealistically) there's an arbitrary minimum value set on minerals, I think it'd be a lot more hosed up and probably more interesting if you didn't have that safety net.

Actually EVE has several different market regions and mineral prices are based on scarcity and demand in a region. You can buy (or mine) minerals in one region and then take them to another to sell for profit. You can also use them to build your own ships, equipment, etc and sell those. It's a pretty impressive system that models the real commodities market remarkably well. That said, nobody running or playing EVE expects ISK (the currency) to become the new world currency, because that would be stupid.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Devian666 posted:

I'm sure there are many people who have done for years. I'm probably a terrible person for scamming isk farmers.

Don't feel too bad...I blow them up and take their poo poo.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Nagato posted:

he's still talking about how bitcoin will revolutionize everything

http://falkvinge.net/2011/06/18/bit...national-trade/

I love how they talk about buttcoins as a "drop-in replacement" for a country's currency.

buttcoin moron posted:

Do you see what would happen with Bitcoin as a drop-in replacement for USD here?
These traders are already used to dealing with the volatility of a non-native currency. Their frustration comes from the long waits (months!), from the cost of the Letter of Credit, and from the way they are treated by the banks that issue the LoCs.
Bitcoin has the potential to just do away with all of this, with the high reason for switching being the business advantage of fast payment and much lower escrow costs, and the low reason being the bad treatment by LoC issuers and frustration from payment delays. With both high and low reasons being perfect-storm-grade, itís just a matter of clearing the obstacles for conversion.

SEE? IT'S THAT EASY! Just do away with your obsolete currency immediately and have everyone in your country start trading electronic bitcoins! What's that? They don't all have computers and your internet infrastructure is obsolete? Well, guess you better get up to the world standard!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yaos posted:

Here's a thread on how to keep your Bitcoins safe.
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17284.0
You need to diversify by using multiple wallets and buying gold! If the economy collapses the only way you can get anything is with gold, remember all the gold lines back in the great depression?

bitcoin forums poster Houdini posted:

if you wish to thank me for the considerable time and effort I'm about to put into writing the following, you can send your BTC to the following address : 18wJXRnB8ihPVL5viVHrUfrDrNNdzYKBKq

"Please pay me for poo poo I would have spouted off anyway because you're a Randian moron"

bitcoin forums poster Houdini posted:

Now I'm no expert on this, but I think that once you reach an amount (in BTC) you ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT AFFORD to lose (an amount which would cause suicidal depression or a lifelong trauma to you if lost it) you should sell 1/2 or 3/5 or 4/5 of the amount in BTC and invest in other things which yield much less profit but are more reliable, like stocks of big and stable companies, and stable commodities like gold. Heck, if there's another great international market collapse like in the 30's all the BTC and dollars and stocks may become worthless, but gold will always be gold. Even if WW3 comes and everything gets nuked to hell cockroaches and gold will survive.

That's right folks, when push comes to shove, SELL YOUR BITCOINS AND BUY GOLD! It's genius, how can it fail? But, uh, bitcoins are the wave of the future, man. Yeah!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kavros posted:

Hee. Maybe?

.. That is actually kind of unusual!

It is probably just the angling/lighting of the shot though. In all seriousness they look like a lovely couple!

Aphex Twin has completed cellular mitosis. God help us all.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Drone_Fragger posted:

if I was gonna have a password for an account containing thousands of loving dollars it'd be a minimum of 16 digits long, most likely 32, with an even mix of uppercase, lowercase, punctuation and numbers, And yet here I see people with passwords as "password1" or "qwerty". it's loving shameful.

BUT BUT...strong passwords are so hard to remember!! I've been in IT for going on 11 years now, and I'm convinced most people won't use them until they've been royally hosed by using "elephant" or some other dictionary poo poo as their password.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Dame Cook posted:

It looks as though they switched to a more secure salted algorithm but didn't actually bother to re-derive all the old hashes. So newer passwords were salted, old ones weren't.

Jesus. MtGox: Carnival of rear end Clowns

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kavros posted:

Also I want to know what's so bad about 'root:admin' ó it sounds delightful, but I'm a neanderthal in these affairs.

The 'root' account on a Unix/Linux machine is the system administrator, and (usually) has rights to do anything it wants. Total control of the system, in effect. What people are laughing about is that the root account on this MtGox system had a password of 'admin'. Not too hard to guess that one!

e: drat, beaten. too many nerds ITT

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Nibiru posted:

Why would you need a root account in the table? The only reason you would need one is for the MySQL database proper, but that would be in the information_schema/mysql/whatever database, not the Mt. Gox one.

Maybe they were using MySQL as an auth backend (for PAM/etc). But they seem like such amateurs I'd be surprised they could make that work.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Nibiru posted:

At this point, I'm guessing that it was a simple SQL injection, but leaving MySQL/SSH remotely accessible wouldn't surprise me at all.

But of course...Satoshi (or whatever) had to have access to the server while he was out scoring babes with BitCoins!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Concerned Citizen posted:

Got the e-mail telling me my MtGox account was compromised (I didn't have any bitcoins on it). I didn't even have a chance to get home before someone had tried to (unsuccessfully) break into my e-mail. Geez.

Change ALL your online passwords. Seriously, do it now.

e: I'm normally very sarcastic, but I'm being serious this time.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ymgve posted:

(Though if he reused the password elsewhere he of course should)

On the nosey!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

"You have to update your account to a strong password" HAHAHAHA

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The buttcoin dude just said Canadian dynamic IPs change every couple weeks. Holy loving...

So apparently Canada has one ISP?

e: btw: http://onlyonetv.com/?page_id=178

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

"We migrated the users over as they logged in"

Christ.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Holy poo poo this is hilarious.

"Uhh, what's bcrypt? Oh, well, uh, our security expert says it isn't that great."

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Xandu posted:

To be fair, he's just answering the questions for the owner who doesn't feel comfortable with an interview in english, so he has to keep consulting him.

True, but it comes across as the Bob & Doug McKenzie of BitCoins. We're lookin' ta improve our security, ya know, and ice fishin'.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Holy poo poo he just said they MANUALLY monitor their exchange 24/7! They don't even use ZABBIX?!? Holy crap. These guys are total amateurs. Mind blown.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Why is this idiot reciting his resume? I just got back from getting beer and they're STILL TALKING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

Oven Wrangler

This guy is an inane, shallow gently caress who has no idea what he's talking about.

e: he's literally

e: "I love the fact that it goes click click click!!"

e: he makes me want to kill, I can't take it anymore

«8 »