Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Infurnus posted:

Anybody get something like this? I apologize if this has already been posted

When logging into my gmail account I also got a "suspicious activity detected" thing(probably bruteforcing) and changed my password just in case.
Fortunately I use strong passwords, so I don't have much to worry about, but for those who might not, be careful.

EDIT: I think this email is some kind of phishing or scam or something, I got a legit mtgox email before this one

If you get an email from someone you don't know, delete it. How is this hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Infurnus posted:

Thanks!

Some of the usernames are hilarious, such as "hehehe\')waitfor delay\'0:0:20\'-" :allears:

True, because the buttcoin admins are only re-hashing the passwords. The usernames will probably be untouched. Which means they may still be vulnerable to a SQL injection attack. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

illiniguy01 posted:

what is the waitfor delay supposed to do?

Like Millstone said, it's a piece of SQL code that was injected into a URL during the last attack. We've been told that the MtGox admins are re-hashing the user password database, but as yet they haven't mentioned the usernames. Which means some users who had their usernames overwritten with SQL attack code won't be able to log in.

But don't worry, MtGox is working on it! :v:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

evensevenone posted:

You actually have to do it that way, because you can't unhash their old password and rehash it with your new hashing scheme. The alternative is even messier (double hashing, but only for a subset of accounts).

Actually, no, you can go ahead and reset all pws after sending the user base a notice that pws will be reset. But then you and I are thinking about how professional IT shops run. Doesn't really apply in this case! Ah hahahahaha!
:roflolmao:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

ymgve posted:

You can only do that if the user actually has an email registered, and quite a few people on mtgox haven't put in an email.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant that MtGox could have reset all the passwords to something secure, then sent a message out to all their users, telling them that they needed to log back in and change their password. Just like every other site on the freakin internet. Oh but MtGox didn't require an email address?!? HAHAHAHAHAHA!
:roflolmao:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Devor posted:

When I heard this story, I was ecstatic that we would finally get to see clownpenis.fart, until I heard the $185k pricetag.

http://www.tressugar.com/SNL-Skit-Clownpenisfart-1965732

(sorry for the lovely site, hard to find this skit)

Reminds me of this classic. Domain Name Dollar Store! Special now, on all Donkey Domains!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FZ1M_UmQes

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

insider posted:

If I was an Econ Prof teaching anything to do with currency/commodities, Bitcions would have become my class the second I heard about it. Like others have said its going through the history of currency on fast forward and would be a great learning platform.

They would become the most insightful and hilarious classes ever.

Especially since we've already got hours of video interviews, painfully detailing these chucklefucks. For those who missed the latest trainwreck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0XvP841jaM

Once more we see Bruce at the top of his interviewer game. :laugh:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Reiley posted:

Face-tracker rectangles was the best part of the whole presentation, in my opinion. Targeting the show's guest and presenter, who is actively banning people from a chatroom while interviewing the man who brought financial trade market Magic: the Gathering Online Exchange to its knees.

OH no no no, my friend. This isn't the Kevin's Not The Hacker Interview. This is a new interview, with the CEO of mtgox and his right-hand buttcoiner. It's great stuff.

e: My favorite part was when they said they're going to require proof of account ownership, such as "a bank statement" (their words). Atlas is going to blow a gasket.

Oh, and these two guys are going to do all user support, 24/7, by themselves. They actually say that.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Just want to point this out: when asked why he thought someone would want to hack mtgox, the CEO's answer was, and I quote: "FOR THE LULZ?"

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Millstone posted:

It's been on at 2pm and 10pm and basically whenever they feel like it

Yeah, Bruce and Ed rented a whole studio on 5th Ave in NYC to produce this. Not kidding.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Times posted:

Just as a side-note: I'm always mystified how the genocide, destruction of knowledge/culture, and atrocity western europeans commit always seems to get a free pass in judgements of 'savagery.'

Because the victor writes the history.

e: which is why I'm overjoyed that we can now have video of idiots doing stupid poo poo and admitting to it on the internet, where nothing ever goes away

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Unguided posted:

Their only marketable skill seems to be creating animations for their site logo and tv show intro (though I wouldn't be surprised if they hired a freelancer to do it) and they thought they'd build a media empire with just that and their love of bitcoins.

Just so everybody is caught up:

Bruce and Ed:
They are the ones who rented a huge studio in NYC to produce videos about buttcoins, but with an eye toward doing more hard-hitting journalism. They are morons, but very amusing to watch.
They're the ones who run the video channel which is up 24/7 no matter what, and host the very popular buttcoin interviews.

Mark and Adam:
These are the geniuses behind MtGox. Mark (aka the French guy) is the "CEO", Adam is the, uh...not sure what he is. He talks sometimes but mostly looks confused. Both of them are currently located in Tokyo.

e: OH AND THEY'RE WORKING ON GETTING MTGOX BACK UP AGAIN DON'T WORRY

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

TheBandOffice posted:

Atlas reaches out to the bitcoin community for help:

:stare:
Even when not discussing bitcoins this forum is just...odd.

Atlas needs a parent to love him, very badly. Poor kid.

e: \/\/\/ YOU GOT YOUR EXISTENTIALISM IN MY MAUDLIN!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Good Citizen posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/uywe

Holy christ I'm dyin...Bruce is so so clueless. That made my week.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
DAMMIT BRUCE WHY YOU BAN ME? :argh:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I used to love you Bruce...we could have had something beautiful. :(

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

you rock posted:

Nah too old I'm all about

Jared is a hottie, it's true. But I'm old, I can't handle all that raw sexuality. Bruce just wanted to cuddle. :cry:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

waffle posted:

Goons have Bruce's number, before the show (I think) they called it so much it vibrated off the armrest of the chair

During the show, while Bruce was off loving around with microphones.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

barking frog posted:

To be fair, that's a satchel.

Yeah, and Bruce is Walter Cronkite.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

Do you people not have stuff you need or want to transport between work and home?

Of course. I've been using a saddlebag like this one for going on 9 years now. You can carry it with the handle like a case, or use the non-gay shoulder strap. You can even make it into a backpack. Come on, look at Bruce's bag. The strap is like 5 feet long. That's a drat female purse. :colbert: (mad about manbags ITT)

http://us.kensington.com/html/17624.html

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Secret Sweater posted:

What am I supposed to be seeing here that's funny?

We called Bruce's phone and made it vibrate off the arm of the chair. :D

e: Bruce also told us that we were "acting like children" :roflolmao:

e: BRUCE IF YOU CAN READ THIS COME BACK I LOVE YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

barking frog posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of

Yeah, that's more like it. Accentuates the gut.

e: Request to mods: please change the title to "BitCoins: Totally not gambling. Now where do I put this manbag I've been left holding?"

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

alreadybeen posted:

Faces of MtGOX:

awkward.jpg2

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Good Citizen posted:

1) They're lying and are half-way to Mexico

México no acepta las monedas de culo. Desaparecer, gringo!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Weatherman posted:

(Unless, as someone earlier posted, there is some drug baron involved who wants his money back and is willing to take action themselves.)

I've been so engrossed in the fabulous spectacle that is The Bitcoin Show that I forgot all about Silk Road. I would imagine Kevin and Adam are looking over their shoulders all the time right now, since they're still sitting on the biggest buttcoin stash. I would be making GBS threads my pants every time the doorbell rang, afraid it would be a couple of heavyset Russian gentlemen with guns, come to collect.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Dammit, I missed the debut of Manny & Marlene. They look awesome, they should start their own spinoff of the show. "El Show de Manny y Marlene"

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Just got banned again. :sigh: Beware trolls, Bruce gets cranky when he's tired and he'll ban your rear end at the drop of a cat.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Gutcruncher posted:

Haha, holy poo poo! There is NOTHING these people can do right! Nobody can be so inept and so many things without being an elaborate troll.

Just watch them for a while, not just the show. They keep the camera and audio on 24/7 and film themselves ALL THE TIME. You hear them talking about everything...the Bitcoin Show, going to take a leak, dinner plans, you name it. They're just don't have what it takes to troll. But my god you can get them to do almost anything if you're nice to them. This is how we got FatGayJosh to sing 2 songs for us. We even had Bruce moving the camera around for us. It's probably the most fun I've ever had on the internet.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

AuMaestro posted:

According to their address they're using a $5000 a month apartment for this show.

That's correct! And earlier somebody asked Bruce in chat how they pay for all this, and all he would say is: "We're in the black". So uh, yeah. I think that means "Somebody gave us lots of money".

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

I assumed it was an apartment, we have an address? Most apartments/condos have rules on how they are used, mostly about non-household staff, long-term guests and outside visitors for business purposes, I believe even in most places also for property taxing authority along with zoning, apart from property management.

In general you can't just use a residential apartment primarily as a business property.

The address (and phone) is on their contact page:

http://onlyonetv.com/?page_id=2

e: can someone in chat tell Bruce that I'm begging to be unbanned? :worship: I'm gnarlyhotepcoin in there.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how the central depository for the most super 'secret and anonymous' commodity ever is the least anonymous thing ever.

No, these aren't the MtGox or Tradehill guys. These guys run "OnlyOneTV", the next up-and-coming international media giant.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait, really?

Yep, really.

e: "global television network for a new generation"

http://onlyonetv.com

Just like buttcoins, they're going UP UP UP!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what do these guys have to do with bitcoins? Are they doing this dumbass show purely out of their own interest?

As far as I can tell, they're using the buttcoin hype to get some viewership, and they also seem to really believe buttcoins are the wave of the future. Seriously. They must put at least 10 hours a day in on this poo poo.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

waffle posted:

Yeah, I am actually less convinced now that they are bitcoin scammers making a fake show to try to dump bitcoins when they get people to jack the price up. I'm pretty sure they're just trying to start a media company, and Bruce is kind of dumb and totally buys into the bitcoin thing

WAFFLE!! GET ME UNBANNED! PLEEEESE! gnarlyhotepcoin

e: you are THE BEST :3:

e: aw drat, Manny doesn't have access. You're still the best.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
e: /\/\/\ I honest-to-god think these guys aren't capable of Andy Kaufman levels of trolling. They're in there for almost 12 hours at a stretch sometimes, and I'm telling you, they work on getting better. They put a lot of work into it. They're just so inept and clueless it takes them double or triple the time it would for someone with a minimal amount of skill and organization. Plus, and this is the big one...they have no deadlines, no one holding them accountable, so they just bumble along happily. I am serious when I say this is more entertaining than anything I've seen on TV in the last 10 years.

Ivor Biggun posted:

I lost track - was Andrew the milkman flying to New York to meet these guys or was it a coincidence?

I have no clue who Andrew is. It looks like he's just some friend of theirs who happened to call at the time. They were getting ready for the 2pm show at 2:15, but hey, why not stop and chat with a friend?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

ManlyWeevil posted:

I feel like we're making up backstories randomly. We need some coherency. Are Bruce and Ed dating? Where did Josh come from? Is he really Phatgaykid on Youtube? Where did they find Marlene? What is the point of this show?

So many questions, so few answers

Bruce said that he and Ed have been together for 16 years. How they're involved with Josh I have no idea, but yes he is Phatgaykid on YouTube. Marlene, no idea. Point? Why the hell do we need a point?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

I Might Be Adam posted:

It's definitely the best reality show ever. If a big network could broadcast the live feed of them trying to run a network and make a show with the chat window in view, it would be gold. The chat really makes it for me. It's that perfect element of interactivity and absurdity.

A big network would ruin it. And 4chan would be in the chat all the time.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
He's packaging up Bruce's genius "BitCoin Safe Packs". While watching MST3K. Surreal doesn't begin to describe this.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Another day, another BitBan. Bruce wields the banhammer like a goddamn ogre. I made a new FB account, now I'm in as 'Hairiest Potter'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh, and Manny is totally banging Marlene right?

Yeah, we got Bruce confirmation on that. Also, Bruce is now banning people via his phone, even when he's at home. The chatroom has become a gulag.