Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Just the past 24 hours:

Yep that there's a stable currency. I just don't understand why it hasn't taken off!

e: I mean all it takes is for people to watch it like a hawk and dump another currency into it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The taint

Ugh, I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder, jerk! :argh:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
e: /\/\/\ I will not click that :colbert:

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

The ~5$ war has been amazing to watch. This is where the bag holders are really killed. They absorb all of the downhill traffic until they can't anymore and then the trap door opens.

"I go broke...with my BitCoins!"

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Holy crap over a dozen buy orders just came through. I just can't wrap my mind around why people are still buying.

e: and we're back at 5! How nice and tidy!

e: loving seriously, somebody is dumping money in to keep it at or above 5. Who's rich and stupid enough to do this? I can't imagine the basement-dwellers have that kind of liquidity.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Mother of god:

Somebody just BOUGHT 532.89 BTC at $5.0

MIND BLOWN

e: WAFFLEHOUND, you are a credit to your Order. Brilliantly done! :golfclap:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Watching these graphs is just mind-boggling. As the price goes up, THEY BUY MORE!! WHY?!?!!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Nessus posted:

Because they're suckers.

I believe it. They're just so dedicated to being suckers I can't process it.

e:

CoasterMaster posted:

The sunk cost fallacy

Yeah, I get that, but this goes way beyond what I would normally consider "good money after bad". This is like "NOW ALL MY MONEY MUST BE POURED INTO THIS HOLE NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS EVER". And goddamn do they have a lot of money. I'm a bit envious that I'm not rich enough to just dump tens of thousands on nothing in the span of a few hours.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

filthy regex posted:

:lol: The bottle popping up at the end... can't you see mama's busy

Wow she's got the...uh...mad skills...yo. I've sat through biology lectures that were more exciting.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Munin posted:

Though looking at the charts it's starting to look a bit thin below...

Yeah, there haven't been many buy walls in the past 5 hours or so. What's been happening is someone (or multiple someones) have been riveted to the charts and anytime it dips they ejaculate a new load of cash in to prop it back up. Most of the buys have been 20BTC and below, but there have been some HUGE ones, like 700+. It's loving nuts. I wonder if it's the MtGox guys doing it?

e: \/\/\/ Hey I don't blame the guy. Would YOU want to be a mod on that forum?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

"Mom, can I have my credit card back? I need to buy some rocks."

Mom: "Your sister's a lesbian and now THIS! I'll NEVER HAVE GRANDCHILDREN!" *runs upstairs sobbing*

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

btcnn.com posted:

Many fingers are pointing towards Something Awful forum goons as the culprits behind this debauchery.

http://www.btcnn.com/2011/09/bitcoin-forums-hacked-by-sa.html?utm_source=btcnn.com

What debauchery, and why was I not invited? :(

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Trans-Angeles posted:

A subtle goat any one?

Excellent work, the Goatman would be proud.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Okay, so we have a saint, a king, a pope, and a god. And a secret society.

We're the Holy Roman Empire! :catholic:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

waffle posted:

has anyone heard from Bruce? Did he just drop off the face of the earth when his conniving ways were put on display?

He did for about a week, then popped up with a new Bitcoin Show and the guest was a real lawyer. Bruce got a little flustered when the lawyer started talking about scams, but I'm sure that was just gas or something.

Enjoy!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Tacos Are Good posted:

Don't forget every tenth cosby clone is a super cosby!

drat, that is some Super Cosby Action! I'm hooked.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Benjamin Black posted:

I still can't seem to find a good summary on why you have to 'mine' for bitcoins, and what about them makes them actually minable.

Benjamin Black: Remedial Thread Student

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Benjamin Black posted:

If you're referring to my posting about this before, I did and I went back and looked at the replies and I wasn't satisfied with the answers. They were along the lines of 'they just can also look at these rigs to mine them lol'.

I'm sorry to be snarky at you. I forget how fast this thread moves. The very best place to get all the info is buttcoin.org.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

theflyingorc posted:

It's built in to take into account increases in technology and number of minors (or lack thereof, it can also adjust down).

No that's the Bruce Patch. You're thinking of the number of "miners".

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Disruptor posted:

"I may as well waste electricity, I mean, I already waste oxygen.
Hobby hobby hobby hobby"

I see there is a lot of ignorance and close-mindedness here, unfortunately :(

Not quite sure what warranted this, but OK.

I don't understand the hostility. I'm trying to educate you stupid goons and give you another perspective from a tech-geek who's been on this planet for a few dozen years.

You have been on these forums since 2006, and yet you come in here saying these things? I am very disappointed, Disruptor. Very disappointed.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Fire_Monkey posted:

Does controlling the world through secretive groups in public places count as a hobby?

No, that's business.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Who...who's Keyser Söze?

not me, hehe, just kidding

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
e: /\/\/\ my dear sir it is not our intent to be convincing, only effective

ripped0ff posted:

Just because you and your little circlejerk took over the project now doesn't mean that you can ignore what others did in the past. If this had just been the five of you from the beginning, it would never have come this far.

Gentlemen, remember. We are all in this together. The Grand High Master would be displeased to hear of this dissension.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Biowarfare posted:

We have many goons that work at supercomputing places and I'm pretty sure one dude has a few basements full of recent Crays.

How much power needed for 51%?

You want us to use Goon Crays for this? Watch your goddamn mouth.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
CosbyCoin should have a EULA that requires everyone to agree that "Goon Freemasons are my rightful masters and I submit myself to their will".

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Tacos Are Good posted:

I think we are confusing the earthly human known as Cosby and the celestial power that is Cosby. He hangs out with the flying spaghetti monster and they often get tacos at jack in the box but never pay.

drat I want to hang with those guys.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

The Proc posted:

Cosbycoin proposal: Have the client software cap the hash rate to what an average 3-5 year old desktop is capable of. We won't be responsible for people dumping their life savings into pointless hardware, and can laugh twice as hard when someone inevitably does misunderstand the protocol and drops thousands on a sweet cozcoin rig.

This is a great idea. The most I would ever devote to it would be a VM anyway.

e: \/\/\/ When I want an opinion out of you, I'll kick you in the head

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Disruptor, despite being a registered user for 5 years, posts as though he were a 15-year-old bent on "owning" the others in the forum. We have yet to understand why this is, but must continue observation.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Bitcoin is a failed cryptocurrency, so you know what it should be used for?

He thinks US presidents are "elected" by "votes"? AHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAAAA!!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Trans-Angeles posted:

Full disclosure: I am was Freemonies. Never thought it'd be so hard to get banned, it took over 12 HOURS.

I feel like I just scored a hat trick in trolling.

Nicely done. :golfclap:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

I got this one.

WiseOldOwl from BitCoinTalk posted:

1. What is something awful forums all about.
2. Why the hell do they put effort into hurting bitcoin.
3. Why are the freemasons coming up.
4. Why is disneyland in this thread.

Seriously I cant rap my head around trolling, I guess for money maybe. An explanation would be nice.

1. http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature-articles/website-privacy-policy.php

2. Because we get stuff like this out of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBfeLdjNVKY

3. Because Freemasons control the world, duh

4. Not sure, but check this out.

e: wise old owl, my rear end :colbert:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Darth123123 posted:

Having followed this since the start, I actually went back and read the first 3 pages. It was quite a treat to see how simple we thought this was...

Wow, you're right. I was a babe in the woods back then...a naive waif of a goon. I thought I had seen it all. Then the phone fell, and the journey began. I'll never be the same.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

BulletRiddled posted:

Aw, crap. Babunar, could you please unquote me?

Don't worry, you're under Freemason protection here. Goonus Tortugas Postinus

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
For old time's sake, for all my BitBuds in the chatroom...this is Episode 8 of The Bitcoin Show (MtGox interview after the first big hack). We were there. Enjoy.

The BitCoin Show Episode 8

e: Kevin Day...forgot about that name. First big BitCoin winner!

e: and this is the one where Bruce asks why someone would want to hack into MtGox and the MtGox guy says "FOR THE LULZ?"

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

JonDev posted:

I've been reading a lot about these lately. I have a GTX 580 in my machine. Do you think it would be profitable to get into bitcoin mining? I mean, I spend a lot of time AFK and I don't see the harm of letting an algorithm run in the background while I'm gone doing stuff during the day.

Or is this a terrible idea?

Do your parents know you're up this late?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

phosdex posted:

It just gets worse if you visit his blog.

Which is the usual baww-fest of "it ain't my fault!"

e: and of course the classic "I'm not racist"

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
What was the joke again?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Ogive posted:

That bitcoins have any legitimacy?

I can't address that, it's Freemason confidential.

e: \/\/\/ No penance required brother, we have our information secured

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

GreatKesh posted:

I don't know whats wrong then

They're out to get you. We'll do our best to protect you, but I can't guarantee anything. We're already operating at capacity, what with keeping the bitcoin price depressed and Bruce quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

less than three posted:

Hmm, I get this error:

Direct IP Access Not Allowed
You've requested an IP address that is part of the CloudFlare network. If you are interested in learning more about CloudFlare, please visit our website. (Ref. 1003)

(I'm in the US)