Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
I got the chatban for asking Bruce if he farted on me. Boo hoo.

I did love the part where the dim-sounding guy on the left told the story about Zimbabwe's runaway inflation, only he couldn't remember if it was Zimbabwe or not, and he couldn't just say "they had runaway inflation", he had to sound like a third grader saying "they, like, had the price of a loaf of bread or something go up to like a trillion million of whatever Zimbabwe's currency is." (answer: it's called Zimbabwe Dollars)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

DO these people actually have a broadcast or are they considering this "tv"?

It's pretty obvious they consider this "tv".

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
They also post the "episodes," in a slightly edited format, to youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/vlogwrap

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

I just got in using this:

barned

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
I just heard "un poquito de problema." Are they talking about mtgox?

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
bosschair wishes manny would switch places with the pretty girl

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I really hope the SQl dump is transaction logs that show *everything* going on.

Didn't MrGox recently say that once the orders are completed, they disappear forever?

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

BigHustle posted:

Yeah. They said that they had no transaction logs, yet somehow they could roll back the trades to before the hack. I thought that was odd.

Well, that's not entirely impossible. If they had no logs, they could roll it back to their last database snapshot. Not exactly laser precision, though.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
Wow, I'm finally getting around to watching the BitCoin Show interview with MrGox and one thing he's saying is that they've brought up a new machine to run the site so they could keep the old machine around for investigative purposes, and that one reason the new system is more secure is that it's a complete rewrite containing no code from the old system.

Because on top of all these troubles, a completely new codebase will really improve the situation...

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
I for one really appreciate this expert analysis of the truthiness of MrGox's statements in the interview: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=21026.0

I'm super thankful bitsalame has clocked all those hours watching The Mentalist, Lie To Me, and Dr. House Medical Doctor.

My prediction about when mtgox comes up: if it isn't hacked immediately, we will witness a slow-motion ($1000/user/day) bank run and find out whether or not they can cover their accounts (wild-rear end guess: no).

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

Furious Mittens posted:

Al-Jazeera has cancelled for today. Bruce sounded so sad.

God drat it he put on nice pants and a belt and even dug out his black socks!

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

Furious Mittens posted:

Whatever happened to the LULZSEC document dump of MTGox's records?

It did not exist.

Xenomorph posted:

...so how easily does Facebook ban accounts?

If you're talking about for live chat purposes, I don't think a facebook ban is the issue. The chat system allows them to ban a facebook account from chat without the facebook account needing to be killed itself.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

alreadybeen posted:

I want to print out a copy of the Meze Grill paper, put a different QR code on it, and stick it there when someone isn't looking. Then some customers sends money and he doesn't get it but it doesn't matter because its in my account and no chargebacks :smug:

This is a very good idea and I really hope someone does it. Extra win if you actually get some of Bruce's money.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
Some wank calling himself 'immune' has apparently arranged to sell 10 video cards for buttcoins, taken everyone buttcoins and then claimed to have his machine hacked and all his money stoled. Later, someone does some block exploring and proves he's full of poo poo and just ripping everyone off. One of the victims starts digging up personal info. Tune in for mob violence.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=21325.0;all

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

Yaos posted:

Then when it turns out that he's stealing from everybody else:
"Woah, hold on, give it back, that's stealing!

lol. I'm starting to think the internet libertarian position isn't so much based on what's just and right, but rather on how many people they can say "boo hoo, suck it up" to.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

Nibiru posted:

This is 3.2 claims per person per minute (they have four guys now, apparently). I'm sure each claim is getting the through treatment it needs.

If they can keep this rate up for the next 14 hours with no break they'll be done. Seems totally reasonable!

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
Isn't one of you goons a business owner who is considering accepting buttcoins? Given how desperate the buttcoin community is for that sort of thing, I would think you'd be able to get an interview with bruce.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Idea! Someone pretend to be a business accepting bitcoins to get a skype interview...

Furthermore, Bruce was saying the other day that he was dying to hear someone's story of buying in super early and sitting on a pile of cheap coins ("not because I want to buy your coins, but because I think that would make a great story" or something to that effect). You could give him two boners at once if your story was that you heard about this buttcoin thing, bought in super early and have a lot of coins, and now that it's got significant buzz around it and you've got some experience with how it works, you think it's time to show your support by starting to accept buttcoins in your business.

(your dildo business, of course)

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
Also, someone had this idea a few pages back, but just so it doesn't get forgotten about: could someone in Manhattan please for the love of god print out a nice big QRCode that can be snuck onto the Mediterranean burrito shop's buttcoin sign so that next time bruce pays for a burrito with buttcoins, you get paid? That would be so loving awesome. I will pay you*.

*in buttcoins, of course, but come on, it's a good cause.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
"I'm not the Oprah Winfrey of BitCoins, I'm the Oprah Winfrey of Oprah Winfrey."

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

ted_himself posted:

MtGox is an exchange. You need a buyer and a seller. All MtGox does is facilitate sales. They aren't buying at x and selling at y, some other sucker is doing that.

Which is where the whole "everyone is going to cash out and MtGox will collapse" thing falls apart a little bit.

...unless enough BTC got withdrawn during the rolled-back period that they can't cover those. They claim it's only the 600 that Kevin got, but there's really no way to know.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
I loved the part where, immediately after going on a serious little monologue "calling out" reporters for being lazy and sloppy and not even bothering to Google their facts, he brings up the story about some things said by ABC in Australia, but has to go on a minute-long diversion puzzling out what the heck ABC is. You can see him fumbling through the logic, going hmmm, I don't think that's the American ABC, they must have something called ABC over there, then finally arriving at the conclusion that it's probably the same thing as PBS here. Excellent non-sloppy reporting there, Bruce.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

Lt_Tofu posted:

It seems like he really believes this crap and is going to get screwed as equally as everyone else. I don't feel like he is deliberately scamming people, but if he is then he deserves what he is going to get and won't get any sympathy from me.

I don't think he's deliberately scamming either, but I still hope nobody as idiotic as him succeeds at running a show where they spout such idiotic nonsense. His whole segment on "come on, people!!!!! just buy at the bottom and sell at the top! DUH!" just made me hate him and want him to fail.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

RedTeam posted:

We're mobile!

Is this the view out their window? Does this help any Manhattanites locate the office precisely? Or do we already know the studio address?

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

RedTeam posted:

He's just said that people wander in all the time looking for other floors, so anyone nearby could just goonrush the place if they wanted. And they should, because that would be brilliant.

In that case, how about some flyers posted around the neighborhood advertising 2-for-1 burritos and giving his address/floor as the location?

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Have the full schedule

Oh my god. I wasn't around for the discussion of all the new shows, so I didn't know how serious they were, but it's starting to dawn on me. Ho-lee-poo poo.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
Youtube video is up. Here is a direct link to the portion where he just finishes up calling journalists out for sloppy reporting and then can't figure out what the ABC is in his next topic. Slick!

I'll have to find the fantastic section on how to play the markets later.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Today on Taboo Womens Issues: Best places to rip a fart.

I'd have to go with in the butt, Bob.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
Holy crap, the singing.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

Devian666 posted:

I think your computer has poo poo itself. Buy a new one with bitcoins. :shepface:

Don't skimp on the gfx card.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

FCKGW posted:

That is my real name btw

Is that your real phone number? Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, BANANAPHONE! (or so I hear)

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

ManlyWeevil posted:

We were treated to a Brittany Spears medley. I wasn't ready so I missed the beginning. These guys could sing all day :allears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJSs4UlzF7U

What are you using to grab the stream? Can you archive the whole live stream for the mtgox opening/meltdown?

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
Be sure to specify in the order that they should get in front of the camera.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

Orange Sunshine posted:

I posted a message using Blockexplorer to document the major flow of bitcoins out of mtgox in the last 10 hours, probably it would have gotten some response if the thread hadn't become about the Bruce and Friends Show.

17,300 bitcoins lost from Mtgox since they reopened, and more every hour.

This seems pretty big to me too. Has anyone brought this up over on the buttcoin forums?

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
The Not Unfunny Diarrhea Show

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
The arguments about whether or not bitcoins are a scam are retarded. You simply can't say that bitcoin as a whole is a scam, because different people are in it for different reasons.

There's Person A, who truly believes that a decentralized peer-to-peer cryptocurrency is the key to libertarian utopia, and he is just dying for the value to stabilize, because he knows that if it doesn't, no retailer in their right mind is ever going to sell their goods for BTC, so there's a catch-22. Breaking out of this catch-22 involves convincing everyone that Bitcoins are the Next Big Thing. Person A is a dreamer and an idiot, but he's honest.

There's Person B, who knows it's a bubble and a small market that can be manipulated, so he's doing his best to take advantage of volatility, possibly alternating between pumping up others' confidence in it and causing a panic. Person B is a scammer.

There's Person C who believes the exact same thing as person A, but also realizes that if it truly is the Next Big Thing, then there's going to be wild growth and thus speculation and in addition to earnestly looking forward to Bitcoins becoming stable and taking over the world, he's gonna do a little speculating on the way up and get himself RICH, BITCHES. This person is greedy and delusional, but in my opinion, is perfectly ethical: he thinks he's taking advantage of being able to predict the Next Big Thing and getting in on the ground floor. This is Bruce, by the way.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

Tasty and Delicious posted:

You can make these exact same arguments for penny stocks pump/dumps (true believers + opportunists) which are regarded to be scams, how do you differentiate bitcoin and penny stocks?

All penny stocks are scams? We should make those illegal! I will call my congressperson at once.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Pump and dumps certainly are. You are aware of how a pump and dump works right? Read up on it. It will sound eerily familiar.

Ok, so bitcoin is a scam because you can pump and dump it, just like all penny stocks are a scam because you can pump and dump them. Check.

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
The section where these neanderfucks are talking about the TF2/BTC exchange is amazing. These guys are utterly retarded. I like how they're claiming that one of the benefits of TF2 keys is that they're an absolutely fixed price, but then when the topic of how you get your dollars back came up, they mentioned forums where you can easily sell them to the rabid TF2 userbase for less than the $2.50 they cost from valve.

Atlas' nervous laughter at the end of every goddamn sentence he speaks makes me want to choke him.

Jesus Christ, almost everything they say is idiotic. "My job right now is writing down business plans." I hate these guys. I also love these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bosschair
Jun 22, 2011
Holy crap, this show is going to be quote mining gold. Bruce just talked about people maxing out their credit cards to buy bitcoins, and followed it with "and that IS a good idea!"

A couple minutes ago, he was talking about how in the future, when you borrow 100 bitcoins, you won't have to pay interest because by the time you pay them back, they'll be worth more.