Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Applebee123 posted:

Why would the US government have control over bitcoins anyway as opposed to other countries governments? If some random country announced tomorrow that bitcoins are their new offical currency the us government couldn't shut them down.

sure, if some country put the effort to establish bitcoin as their official currency then yeah, but it takes a lot more than saying "sup dudes, we all use bitcoin now" and also wouldn't benefit that country in any way. basically this is an incredibly dumb hypothetical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Dr. Stab posted:

You mean like a bank?

Better, a bank with no federal regulation or legal responsibilities.

and by better, I mean a disaster waiting to happen

\/ except that after you got a collection of wallets there is nothing to stop you transferring everything out of them to your own account.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Rudager posted:

As soon as a law any law is enforced as a result of someone stealing the whole "no regulation" thing evaporates and the point of the currency existing becomes moot.

It would have to be some sort of breach of contract civil suit but damages would be impossible to determine with the volatility of the market and the american court system can't/won't order payment in bitcoins.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Mo0 posted:

So I just got here, has anything of substance been announced or has it been an hour of them being completely incompetent?

e: And Skype ringtones?

lots of steamy upshirt shots of a fat dude as well!

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Iviv posted:

$1000 daily transfer limit, its all in his mt gox account still.

He said he pulled out enough that he hit the limit, which at .01 cents would be 100k. That would gently caress over any rollback attempts. If he really did that though, he shouldn't have gone on a show and told everyone his real name.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Iviv posted:

I was under the impression that the withdraw limit was based on the 24 hour average of the price, so he still couldn't withdraw them at $0.01

Lol, his phone just rang! Professional!

ohh, maybe.

edit: Not according to mtgox: MtGox imposes a $1,000 USD limit for withdrawals per 24 hours and a $10,000 USD limit for withdrawals per month. and Bitcoins withdrawn are counted toward this limit as well and the USD value is calculated at the market rate at the time of the attempted withdrawal.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

Anyone have an idea of what the current price of a bitcoin is? Is there a place to look?

some trade sites have it hovering around 11, but that means nothing and its impossible to tell the actual value since a third of all the coins are unaccessible and nobody is doing much trading. They basically just suspended the crash for a while.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
I love how he kept repeating the $5mil value over and over again as if it wasn't going to crash down to some low as poo poo number the moment he tried to sell it. Even if they reset everything its going to plummet the moment trades get opened up

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
mtgox should just take the money and run at this point. I wonder how that would be handled legally.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

spidoman posted:

Money?

I was under the impression there were thousands of not fake dollars in accounts on mtgox that are currently locked. Since its down can't they just transfer that poo poo to actual bank accounts? I guess that would be traceable, though, so I guess Im just dreaming

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Orange Sunshine posted:

So right now, Bitcoin mining is using over 5 megawatts of electricity.

According to the bitcoin forums, when bitcoins become the Currency of the Future, and are used by a billion people across the planet, each bitcoin will be worth a million dollars or something along those lines.

If bitcoins are worth 65,000 times what they are worth today, then probably there will be 65,000 times as much mining going on. Therefore, we can conclude that, in the future, bitcoin mining will consume 325 gigawatts of electricity.

This is close to half of the entire electrical production of the United States. Surely we can see the value of such an efficient system, over the silly old style currencies of today.

Well, mining would eventually stop when they hit their arbitrary built in limit of 21mil bitcoins. A short period of excessive power use will lead to a never-ending libertopia.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
I am SHOCKED to hear he believes in numismatic coins as a good investment. SHOCKED!

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article25375.html

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Ivor Biggun posted:

Next step: Hocking Goldline. Like Glen Beck but with less fake tears.

Goldline is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too high class for them. the site they linked only has one silver coin, a couple of collectable paper bills, and bags of "Junk Silver" at undisclosed and probably ridiculous rates

Harik posted:

This is the big sticking point: how can you possibly consider a deflationary-by-design currency useful? You'd never spend it because it's always worth more tomorrow, so nobody would ever spend it. It's such an amazingly stupid concept to people with two functioning braincells to rub together.

You just gotta have faith

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Superrodan posted:

Have they said yet when Mt. Gox is ACTUALLY coming back?

They stopped saying any estimates beyond "soon" since they are way to inept to do anything in a timely manner

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

dietcokefiend posted:

Wait so more poo poo stolen?

People using the same Gox login/password at mybitcoin.com got those accounts messed with as well.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
That robot would be the greatest thing, we could try to sneak it out of the office when they open the door

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
I can't figure out what this OnlyOneTv.com media company thing is trying to accomplish. How do they make enough money to exist?

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Noreaus posted:

The price hasn't crashed hugely (according to the ticker I googled) and I saw an article about bitcoins as the top story in 'Technology' on BBC News.

I'm scared :ohdear:

MtGox hasnt returned yet so the market hasn't really moved at all in the past couple days. It will either crash tonight (not likely) or soar to untold heights (banking on this)

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

Would the police even have any interest in perusing bitcoin theft? It's only real value is the potential to covert it into cash in a questionably legal manner.

Not in the slightest

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Some one mentioned needing a bogus Facebook accounts earlier.

noonenwhr12@gmail.com

"goonrush" for the password

I put in "Shover Robot" as the employer, and Facebook knew it was related to SA.

I tried making more, but google noticed "unusual activity" and wanted more verification steps then I was willing to deal with

I just made a twitter account w/ a fake gmail since twitter login was enabled again.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Good Citizen posted:

Don't bother making fake gmails. Just use this website:
http://mailinator.com/

ahh, nice. thanks

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Cuntpunch posted:

I'd actually be willing to bet AJE calls off the segment entirely.
Given how little the average media person seems to understand bitcoins and the current situation - I'd imagine that somebody found out about The Bitcoin Show and went "Hey those are probably the guys that started all of this!" and set up an interview.

I'd guess today someone who knows a modicum about BTC told the production staff that they were about to go interview some relative nobodies and they postponed to investigate whether or not they would in fact be wasting their time talking to Bruce.

That or they did the sane thing, looked at one of the previous shows on youtube and backed the gently caress out

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Millstone posted:

It didn't overheat, it committed suicide.

They are going to revive it by sticking it in the freezer, so its all good.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Dr. Gibletron posted:

Is Bruce just reading to himself right now? I'm not quite sure what's happening. Is he going over the script for tomorrow's big show?

He's reading it to the chat for input, but not reading the chat to get that input.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

MTGOX is the biggest one and the others volume is horrible.

Also, they all charge fees and the market is crazy volatile, so it isnt worth it to shuffle funds between them

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

This guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_D._Friedman

Is supposed to appear tomorrow, live from their likely illegally operated business in their apartment "studio". This is a apparently due to mom's help.

The building their studio in has a bunch of business in it, so its probably not illegal.

Is that dudes middle name really Director? what the hell?

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
There is a dude in chat right now saying he is going to use his bitcoin profits to cure malaria in africa with The Miracle Mineral Supplement.

http://jimhumble.biz/images/biz-brochure.pdf

Pseudoeconomics and pseudoscience collide in a gigantic clusterfuck of stupid

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc420.html

Bartering is legal and taxable

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
One thing I noticed from this previously posted thread where people are beginning to threaten to go after MtGox in person: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=21854.0

quote:

I would be quite worries about that happening if I was running mt.gox. Basically you have an office with $15M in cash lying around (considering mt.gox controls 500k BTC). Anyone can walk in and force mt.gox to transfer all those BTC's to his wallet and there is absolutely nothing he can do to either get those funds back or try to find out the identity of that thief.
A normal bank doesnt have $15M in cash in their vaults and they are much better secured then 2 nerds in a communal office building.

Nobody bats an eyelash at this quote, they still value bitcoins at $30 a piece. So many of these people have such insane delusions of wealth. It's going to be so sad when/if the site comes back online.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Nibiru posted:

Stealing that many btc would be pointless. The only value in them is if the thief was able to cash out, and the exchanges would likely follow the btc through block explorer and prevent it.

That and if they could cash them out, it would kill the value unless they did it at a ridiculously slow pace

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

raezr posted:

He's accusing things of being "very misleading"... this isn't the burritos guy is it?

Yes, it is

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

paraspam posted:

Al Jazeera definitely don't want to write anything negative about bitcoins after seeing Bruce on this genocide of bitcoin naysayers.

At the very least they will include google links to all their facts

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
/\/\/\ wow

Good Citizen posted:

Don't forget, we still have Atlas' podcast to look forward to, supposedly airing at an undetermined time this afternoon

Something tells me he would handle trolling completely differently to OOTV

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

waffle posted:

Who is hightax? Is he arguing with a troll? I think he's arguing with a troll about the legitimacy of bitcoins

He's arguing with me, i have no idea why. Im being pretty obvious about it.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

quote:

I have bought Bitcoin before, then sold them all, more than doubling my money. I sold them all to test out the system and make sure it really worked.

Then, right after selling them all, I bought more. Later, I sold them all again. I tripled my money again.

How does that work?

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

CrazyLittle posted:

It's not for your sake. It's for fun ;)
Oh, and I don't think there're -any- true believers in there that are talking.

Whew, I was honestly worried for a second. I've seen a couple people in there that I am certain were for real.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Great White Hope posted:

What site will we be able to track bitcoin value once mtgox comes back up?

http://bitcoincharts.com/markets is the one I'll be watching

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost
Its probably an endless string of delivery people :(

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

ishootudie posted:

That was yesterday, no? It is currently June 25th, 3AM GMT.

well the date on there was yesterday but that message didnt get posted until just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Orange Sunshine posted:

They're going to get hit with everyone pulling their money and bitcoins out and moving them all to Tradehill.

The bitcoin forums have turned very, very negative towards mtgox. They're now widely using the word "goxxed" to mean "hosed". If Tradehill can manage to not totally gently caress this up, they'll end up being the #1 bitcoin exchange. (They actually are right now, of course)

Which means that several weeks from now, we can look forward to hackers breaking into Tradehill and making off with hundreds of thousands of bitcoins, or dollars even.

Tradehill currently collapses under the strain of ~12% the mtgox load, they wont be able to handle the influx of customers at all.