Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Versus Boredom posted:

I'll take one human liver and six kilos of cocaine please. You accept BitCoin right?

If this actually takes off it will be a great currency to make those kinds of transactions with. Dollars are tracked in a way bitcoins are not.

Overall it's an interesting thought experiment but I doubt it'll ever take off. It's not going to become a viable and robust currency with a few thousand adopters having a few hundred bucks each in it. Their decision not to manage it at all and just let it take it's natural course doesn't inspire confidence either. I know what happens to currencies naturally. They fail. It's funny they say, "It CANT FAIL unless people stop using it!" Yeah, that is one of the big ways currencies go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

artard posted:

Basically to reiterate my own point I think that Satoshi Nakamoto (the creator of BitCoin) is a genius because he basically found a way to invent his own monopoly money and created a distribution framework that ensures he gets a huge share of the currency (by being the earliest adopter). All while getting a community behind it so they are all rabidly mining/buying up coins that pumps up the value so the early adopters can cash in and make shitloads of money while the hype machine leads to the inevitable bubble/bust. I think it's really quite awesome and wish I'd thought of it first.

Suckers have short memories.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Hey grifting is a noble and ancient profession.