Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

thehustler posted:

Some friends of mine just got into this, 4 of them. They'll break even in 2-3 months and the exchange rate seems to be just staying the same or going up, it's not going very low at all.

They've made quite a bit in a short space of time, so it's definitely doable with the right kit and some initial effort.

They made quite a bit so far huh? How much have they made? What was their initial investment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

tomkandy posted:

Graphics cards only lose about 10% of their value out of the box,

Who would pay 90% for a graphics card that has already been out of the box? I'd say its worth closer to 60%.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

tomkandy posted:

Idiots on ebay I guess.

http://tinyurl.com/3twfpth

You can currently buy them for £100 new

http://tinyurl.com/3pu85no

Those aren't the same card...

edit: never mind, I just clicked the first one on the ebay list

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Deadlysherpa posted:

Obviously he doesn't have to choose all or nothing, he could dump coins an maintain an artificial $10 ceiling or slowly break to $5 over the course of a month or two. It all depends on how strong the market is, I suspect he's making a bet that it will continue to grow and be robust enough to support both his bitcoin mining and sales at a price he hopes to set.

But once he starts making moves like this the speculators will likely notice, and then its beyond his control. I am sure there are people watching his bitcoin total like hawks, and the second it moves, they will unload theirs, without regard for the long-term stability of the system.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Deadlysherpa posted:

1. Why isn't "mining" tied into a cloud computing service, which would provide real money generation that could be converted to bitcoins? Is it just too vulnerable and/or open to cheating?

Because this isn't trying to be a legitimate business, but some open-ended p2p ponzi-scheme.

Deadlysherpa posted:

2. Is the system open to modification in the future if options to improve it become available?

Limited in that, because the structure of the system is designed so that it can't be changed. It is decentralized so there isn't any way to implement control over everyone with bitcoins. Pretty much the only way the system can change is if everybody involved with it actively agrees, and cooperates. So basically no.

Deadlysherpa posted:

3. With an upper limit of available bitcoins, how long are unused generated bitcoins stored before returning to the mine-able pool? Is it subject to calcification by casual users that download the mining app and forget about the system altogether, resulting in "lost" bitcoins?

Unused bitcoins that are not used will never be mineable again. If they are lost, they are lost forever, and the economy will just have a lower max coin threshold.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Archduke posted:

and "warez".

People pay for pirated software?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
The fact that there is a limit to the amount that can exist alone makes it impossible to become a viable currency.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Uglycat posted:

There's a limit to the amount of gold on this planet. What definition of 'viable currency' are you using? And do you believe your particular definition of 'viable currency' is useful in determining if a given commodity has value?

This is why we don't use gold as a currency anymore? A viable currency is not something that I am going to write an essay about defining, but it can't fluctuate in value like bitcoins do. The ability to establish monetary policy is important in a currency. A commodity has value as long as someone will pay for it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

man thats gross posted:

they just know this will fold in the long-term, whereas others are stupid.

Fixed.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

man thats gross posted:

Totally agree.

Oh :( I thought I was being smarmy.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

Theres a big market for bitcoin tattoos in the future. In fact, investing in tattoo parlors is a great way to diversify your bitcoin portfolio.

How many bitcoins would it cost to start my own tattoo parlor?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

blunt posted:

So what's the difference between Dollars & Cents VS BTC and cBTC? How is one simpler than the other?

$3.75 USD vs 3.3643276 BTC

Which is easier?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Why would anyone ask for such a silly amount of money?

Because that is how the system was designed to be used. Being that the concept of Bitcoins is so deflationary in nature, eventually it is more than reasonable to assume that if this currency were to take off (it won't) it will eventually end up at a point where 1 Bitcoin is worth a substantial amount of money. If you were to buy something cheap with bitcoins you would need to spend a small fraction of 1.

This is all obviously extremely hypothetical since this point in time will never exist.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

nebby posted:

This argument makes no sense, since in that case people will simply start pricing things in millibits or whatever. The idea that you'll ever see a price labeled "3.12938293" doesn't make any sense for the same reason you don't see that in any modern currency today.

If you buy a car it costs say 34,999. If there was a 7% state sales tax on this it would be 37098.94. How would you express this in bitcoins if 1BTC =$10,000USD? 3.709894. Modern currency doesn't have to do poo poo like this because we aren't limited by an upper threshold on the amount of currency that can exist in our economic system.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ayekappy posted:

To be honest, now that I've thought about it, two things are clear:

1) People that are mad at bitcoin adopters are just mad they didn't get in at the ground floor, I know I am.

2) BitCoins are perfect for everything underground, not just drugs. It's a great way to launder money amongst other things.

Given reason 2, and the limited amount of BitCoins that can come into circulation, it's almost crazy to think that BitCoins wouldn't go up in value, knowing basic fundamentals of supply versus demand. When you buy a BitCoin, you don't buy into a pyramid scheme, you buy into a quickly growing market of untraceable currency that allows the internet's underground to operate anonymously. The only thing that will stop BitCoins from rising in value would be government intervention. Otherwise you very well could see things like an 1/8th for .05 BitCoins, or an assassination for 10 BitCoins. A true digital currency will bring about some lesser parts of society that also must succumb to technology, works out for everyone; and if it's implemented correctly, it will be hard for any government to shut down anyways.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Morose posted:

10BTC for an assassination seems awfully cheap to me.

Depends how much BTCs are worth this time next month! In any case the quoted statement isn't even close to the most ridiculous thing somebody has said in this thread. I guess I have been reading it so long that my grasp on peoples concept of reality is getting away from me. It is getting so hard to tell the difference between actual bitcoin supporters, and the fake posters, because there is barely any difference in the content of their posts. Pure delusional, and misinformed craziness. I don't even know why I am posting in this thread to be quite honest. I just can't seem to pull myself away from it, it is just so entertaining.

Can't wait for it to crash.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Pedrophile posted:

Write a check you chucklefucks, way simpler and has way more protections.

In the memo just put "Not Heroin"

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

Where does real money come from? Who is going to honor real money? How can you "cash out" your dollar bills into goods?

How is this question anywhere comparable to what 56k asked? Who doesn't honor real money?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

And why does everyone take US currency? What makes a person think that a piece of paper is a good trade for a good or service?

Its backed by the US government.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

What does the US government "back" the us dollar with? Hint; it used to be backed by gold.

The US mandates that a dollar is worth a dollar? What does that even mean? 1 bitcoin is worth 1 bitcoin too.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, but let me try and simplify it for you. If I owe you $2000 through the American courts, if I give you 20 $100 notes you are not allowed to refuse to take them. If i give you 100 bit coins no one is going to say you need to accept that for your debt.

Also you are an idiot for trying to argue this.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

people who are incredulous that a currency can be created are the worst.

If you actually feel like that is what is happening here then perhaps you should be a more incredulous person.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

max4me posted:

okay now that the bubble is expanding. when will people start to cash out. will some hard core hoarders just wait till all 21 million units are made? or will it happen before then

Chances are that when people start cashing out, it will snowball into more and more and more people cashing out exponentially, causing it all to crash. I am sure still that some idiots will still hang on to their bitcoins at this point, but honestly, once it starts crashing, if you still have bitcoins in your possession you already lost. No one will be buying them so you will be stuck with them. Eventually the price may stabilize again (significantly lower in price), as bitcoins don't need to be valuable to fulfill their purpose. I don't know if bitcoins will cease to exist soon after the crash, or if they will just slip back into obscurity. The crash is inevitable though.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

UrbanFarmer posted:

Dark pools are used on the stock market as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_liquidity

Isn't there a bit of a difference here, where a dark transaction on a stock exchange would still be reported by one of the parties to confirm that it actually took place, but not revealing who was involved in the transaction. In this bitcoin dark pool situation the transaction wouldn't post anywhere, so there would be no record of a transaction taking place?

Maybe I am just not understanding this, but if my take on this is right, this bitcoin darkpool is just a way for people with huge amounts of bitcoins to unload them with a chance that the market won't realize what is happening.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

man thats gross posted:

Yes but the same system exists on Wall Street, therefore,

There is a big difference between the two dark pools, and what they are used for.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kavros posted:

I wish I could be participating in this future speculation, but the pressure was too much, I GOT OUT, I'M DOWN TO ONE LONELY BITCOIN

I made money on this completely by accident and by being a ditz!

BITCOIN SUCCESS STORY!!!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like I should invent BitGold as a hedge against BitCoin inflation...

I'll help you mine it and promote it for 200,000 bitgold.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Doesn't the long long term the supply of bitcoins trend toward zero as people lose interest/die/lose access to their wallets?

I guess with the way the system is designed now, if you died there would be no way to transfer your bitcoins to your heirs, without giving somebody (lawyer or your heirs) your wallet information, with which they could clean you out even before death. This is a pretty big flaw ya?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Copy of your wallet's private key. You still have this key on your own computer (or wherever) so you can use the money in it while you're alive. This is how private keys work. In the event you know you're going to die (old or sick) you probably convert to real money so your heirs don't have to deal with it. The safe deposit box is an elaboration, really. If one is not bit-rich or paranoid one wouldn't bother, just put the usb key with your will or in an envelope on the mantle or whatever.

Of course, bitcoins in your bit-wallet don't earn interest or anything, so they earn jack poo poo anyways if you don't use them.

I am not advocating bitcoins. I own no bitcoins. I believe a long-term bet for bitcoins or other cryptocurrency is a bet against the US government, and I think this is a fight the govt will care about winning. The current valuation of bitcoins is a bubble caused by sudden media exposure. This post should not be used for investment advice.

Well this doesn't really help... Most people don't die on a schedule, and when most people find out they are dying soon, I am sure they don't want to have to run out to the store to buy a USB stick, or lose their entire fortune. Storing it on your computer doesn't sound like a very good idea either, especially if you are particularly wealthy. Want to be a millionaire? Break into his house and steal his computer. You just stole his entire life savings (in bitcoins).

Obviously this is just a ridiculously hypothetical situation for if this was actually a serious attempt at creating a currency, and none of the problems I mentioned above should ever actually be problems for anyone (because no rich people are going to redistribute their wealth into e-money, and if any bitcoin spergelord is going to die, he most certainly has no actual heirs to leave his money to anyway, because he is a bitcoin spergelord with no friends or family) My point is only that the system has no solutions for the long term problems that would occur if people actually decided to accept bitcoins as a currency. The only problem bitcoins solves for me is it relieves my boredom to read, and argue about them.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ayekappy posted:

People are getting pretty annoying with the whole "HAHA YOU MAYBE MADE A FEW THOUSAND BUT YOUR'RE DUMB FOR MAKING MONEY OFF OF FAKE STUFF." Most real money is made off of speculation anyways... stop being passive aggressive just because you didn't have the foresight to get in early, so now all you can do is constantly insult adopters and hope for a crash to vindicate yourself. It will crash, but no one knows when and there's lots of money to be made before then... or everyone can just keep working at $14 an hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and put their extra money into diversified accounts that also bet money on speculative poo poo like China stocks and precious metals, but at least some of it is just betting on the US Dollar, which we all know is ultra stable nowadays.

Is anyone saying this at all? I don't think anyone is telling the people who are taking advantage of this bubble and making a few dollars that they are stupid for it. The people being called stupid are the ones who think that bitcoin is the next big thing, and will somehow become an important currency. The type of person who would say that "The Euro won't exist in 2 years". More power to anyone who is making money off of this though, and be careful not to get stuck with to many bitcoins when this inevitably pops.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Benminnn posted:

Totally just sold a random string of numbers my computer generated over the past 48 hours for $29.09. That's awesome, I never get in on these bubbles to make any money.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to go buy beer!

Hopefully the bartender accepts currency, and not just bitcoins.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

peak debt posted:

What they list on Mt Gox is the amount of bitcoins that could currently be traded if they could find a buyer/seller, not the amount that actually swaps owner. $2million is more than the entire stock of bitcoins that has ever been traded.

Didn't someone buy 20,000 at 30$?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Death Himself posted:

If someone (or someones, though it would only take one person on a market like this) is doing this then the value of a bitcoin is far over what it really is. Only mtgox knows for sure though and they are making thousands a day in USD by not telling since the price of a bitcoin keeps going up.

This is the whole point of the darkpool. So the people with tons of coins can bail before this crashes.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Alec Eiffel posted:

I'm convinced that BitCoins are a front for the graphics card industry.

They promise fake money, getting real money in return. They're geniuses really.

Best marketing campaign ever.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
My popcorn can't pop fast enough it seems.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Monocle Smile posted:

Nope, no anger in this thread.

There is a pretty big difference between being angry at bitcoins, and being frustrated with the stupid points people are trying to play off as valid arguments to the validity of bitcoins (even the phrase validity of bitcoins is a joke). I think it is great that some people managed to make money off of some stupid and greedy people. I don't think there is anyone in this thread who is upset at all that anyone made money off of bitcoins.

Bitcoins have provided me with weeks of entertainment at this point, and I would love for that to continue for at least a little longer. I just don't get your bitcoin hate hate.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Uglycat posted:

Can you make a sound argument for why it is impossible that amazon will ever accept bitcoin for payment?

If not, then you must concede it's possible, at some future point, if bitcoins enjoy significantly more daily volume AND stability, that Amazon might decide it's in their best business interest to accept them.

Based on the stability that bitcoin has shown, the fact that its only practical uses are laundering money, and buying black market goods, I would say at this point there is no chance of Amazon accepting bitcoins ever. Unless bitcoins can shed its negative reputation, no viable, reputable American corporation will accept them as tender, because they are viewed as shady, and inconsistent. The fact that they are decentralized makes it practically impossible for bitcoins value to remain even close to static enough to be used as a currency, and they are not liquid enough anyway to convert quickly enough to counteract its instability.

Maybe Amazon could someday accept a similar currency to bitcoins, but bitcoins are fundamentally broken.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Uglycat posted:

Dumbest dialogue ever.

lol seriously?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It's pretty funny to me that every single person who comes in here complaining about how people are participating in 'goonthink' by making GBS threads on bitcoins inevitably reveals themselves to have the Dumbest loving Beliefs Possible.

Its not like we are debating euthanasia, or abortion here. We are debating about whether or not Bitcoins are the alien currency of tomorrow.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

JakeP posted:

We are debating about whether or not Bitcoins are the alien currency of tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Uglycat posted:

I think "Perpetual Ponzi Scheme" is the best definition I ever heard for 'Currency.' The whole reason Ponzi Schemes are illegal is because they are inherently unsustainable. You rightly observe - though most in this thread miss the point - that bitcoin can ONLY crash to $0 if absolutely everyone regards it as worthless. Ponzi scams must INEVITABLY crash to $0, as there are no new investors to rope in.

The bitcoin is definitely not a ponzi scheme. Like others have said it is much more similar to a pyramid or a pump-and-dump, as the people who got in on the ground floor ended up with 10s of thousands of bitcoins before they were difficult to acquire. They easily stood to make a lot of money off of bitcoins if they ever took off (and to the extent they needed it did).

They couldn't possibly think this would be an actual currency when such a huge portion of the total wealth is held by such a small number of people.