Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
So anyone ever seen Boiler Room? Because that's all I can think of reading about this and seeing the bitcoins forums posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Chlorus posted:

Someone needs to write a script that deletes the wallet file, and then attach it to a P2P copy of Loose Change or Alien Autopsy or the audiobook of Atlas Shrugged and see how much damage can be done.

Free with every copy of Zeitgeist

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Uglycat posted:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_from_incredulity

Your entire position on this issue is rooted in a logical fallacy. It's convoluted by your inability to clearly express yourself. This works to actively obscure and cloud the discussion.

You're posting from the Twilight Zone.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
There's a fat guy wandering around still on the stream.

http://onlyonetv.com/?page_id=178

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Devian666 posted:

It could be. I'm not sure if they're gaslighting us or we're gaslighting them.

That uncertainty is what gaslighting is.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ted_himself posted:

Yeah the affection for Bruce Wagner here is baffling. It's like a variation of the Stockholm syndrome up in here.

It's more schadenfreude than affection.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
If you guys vote for me as the robot controller, I will use it to push things (maybe people) down stairs and out windows.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Hungry Gerbil posted:

gently caress you, monster.

Agreed, that's a truly horrific position. Literally the entire reason we have welfare (aside from it being the moral thing to do, "The greatness of a society is best judged not by its most fortunate member, but by its least fortunate") is to keep millions of people from outright destitution. Remembering that poverty is a generational cycle, any investment against it will pay off for generations.

And you really, really don't want all those people who are currently on welfare having to find other ways to support themselves. It's much cheaper for society to give them enough to keep them from outright destitution/despair.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Calm down, all the guy is doing is not properly putting himself in other people's shoes. Everyone forgets that other people have different life experiences from their own, he's probably a bit young, and he's willing to hear that he's wrong. You can't ask for a more cordial way to be wrong.

This IS going to turn into a stupid abortion derail, so let's stop it, please.

So what? This thread has been nothing but mocking idiots from the start. First the bitcoiners were the brightest stars in the sky, then Bruce supernovaed. Now Wojnek is either trolling or a really terrible human being.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, it's really unfair of him to judge people he hasn't met because their actions aren't as virtuous as his.

Which is only slightly better than judging people you haven't met because their beliefs aren't as virtuous as yours.

He's wrong because he doesn't understand that many of these people haven't been given the opportunities he's had. Perhaps we can understand that he hasn't been exposed to the same information sources as you or I?

Nah, it's probably best to just dogpile him so we feel morally superior. Take advantage of a teachable moment? That's for FASCISTS.

So you're saying I shouldn't judge people online? Seriously?

I bet you can't look at this picture of a libertarian reddit user without making some judgements.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Of course I do, everyone makes some snap judgments. It doesn't change the fact that

Number of people whose opinion I've changed by calling them a monster, idiot, etc: 0
Number of people whose opinion I've changed by respectfully explaining why their point is wrong: > 0

Obviously, if they put their fingers in their ears and won't listen, that's one thing. But he was obviously listening. I guess I just prefer to make the world a little better, rather than get mad at the internet?

(also, if you're reading this wotjak, please e-mail me at MYUSERNAME@gmail.com)

I can think of literally nothing more unpleasant than trying to change the minds of online idiots.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

electricsugar posted:

And yet here you are on GBS where arguing with idiots is the modus operandi and every thread, no matter what the topic, will immediately devolve into a goon shouting match.

Hey guys, remember when we talked about bitcoins in this thread instead of arguing over abortion?

Mostly we ridicule them. Though a few enthusiastic people do usually try to argue.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Lets get Olive-boy to hire her.

Also that picture is amazing. She is covering up her fat/wide face with hair. Underneath, she looks to be quite the plumper.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

It's possible but she posted a picture of her boobs with bitcoin nipple covers on them. Of course someone had to be the one to film it and it's possible some neckbeard put her up to it. If so that just terrible.

Because women are weak, feeble creatures who don't understand their actions?

For fucks sake, if it was a guy with a bitcoin tattooed on each ball, we'd be laughing and ridiculing him to the moon.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I always thought Lord of the Flies was just libertarians on an island.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
If we ever return to a state of nature, I will be preying exclusively upon libertarians.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I had honestly pegged Vegetta as being a similar level of retarded and baselessly self-righteous as Atlas, but no.

Now Atlas... he's a real piece of work.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

makomk posted:

It's not about manipulating search results. In short, the current core Bitcoin developers actually have no control over the forums and don't want them to be seen as official in any way.

How do you know this?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

GutBomb posted:

(I totally understand the patheticness of the members of the bitcoin forum and find all that very entertaining, I'm just trying to get filled in on what bitcoins actually are, because planet money didn't even really get into how it worked and what actually gives them value or makes people believe they have value)

Exactly

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Cmon guys, maybe Atlas just meant he was suiciding his e-persona.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

GreatKesh posted:

I have never said any of that at all ever? I was commenting on the fact that the most voted for option was the one that literally says that the more humans die the better.

You need to upgrade your sarcasm detector.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

gnarlyhotep posted:

But you sell STOCK in the business, right?

I own a share!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

The Gasmask posted:

Wired had some article recently (I guess?) about the eGold saga; It's pretty damning how close it is to the bitcoin fiasco. In that case the owner was running an exchange that was hugely funded by criminals, which led to his eventual arrest (and the seizure of everything eGold related). He tried to claim he didn't know where all his income was coming from (or just didn't care, more likely), and ratted out tons of his customers after realizing he was under investigation, but he still got hosed for conspiracy to commit fraud (and some other related charge).

It seems like it's only a matter of time until various governments get involved; in the eGold case the US Govt. worked with foreign governments to arrest the criminals storing their money on eGold, and that was supposed to be anonymous as well (they were identified through the to-cash transaction point, which was run by a third party).

I'd only heard of eGold in passing, so to read about it in detail was a bit surprising. It seems that many lessons should have been learned then, and people are going to get hosed for not listening.

TCC could tell you ALL about E-Gold.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
E gold was pegged to gold. So you were buying small amount of 'gold' and then giving it to shady canadians for weed, LSD, MDMA, Rx meds, or RCs.

In effect it was just like buying a tiny amount of gold that you would transfer the rights to.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I don't think I get the whole MyBitCoin.com situation yet.

Did someone literally steal their coins, like used their wallet to transfer them to his own account.

Or is it really that people uploaded their wallet to this website and did not keep an offline copy?

Exactly

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

quote:

quote:

-You have a failed track record with regards to your preparatory school. Why did it go under? What got you interested in the business?

Although that has absolutely nothing to do with the UABB, that particular project was a fabulous experiment in Korean society in regards to academic standards and I would love to discuss it openly if anyone actually cared. Since you asked, I have to say that you are in fact wrong in regards to the failed track record. We succeeded in everything we set out to do. We sent numerous students to America without TOEFL/SATs (before we existed, it was believed this was impossible, and thus we have set a precedence in Korea and all of Asia). We provided a quality, and US regionally/nationally accredited curriculum through partnerships with numerous American institutions and helped numerous Korean families broaden their outlooks and open themselves to a world larger than their minimalist and inwardly focused Korean society.

Matthew N Wright, folks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Lolie posted:

Matthew wants us to buy him an SA account. I'd rather have Bruce here, personally.

I bought Solarspawn for him. A lot of good he did with it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Sometimes you make it out of the methlab in time and have to flee the country without a degree or job or visa or anything.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

themrguy posted:

Mo' Bitcoins, Mo' BitBitches

I've got 99 problem but a Bit(ch)coin aint one.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Actually, it was the opposite. Since he's only 17 and the economy sucks and he's probably obnoxious as hell in real life, he can't find a lovely fast food job, so he thinks that if we abolish the minimum wage, he'll be able to get one. Someone asked him why we should get rid of the minimum wage when people can barely get by as it is, and he said that he'd be able to survive fine as long as he gave up his iPhone.

He also said that if housing was too expensive, he'd live in a shack. And if he didn't have enough money for food, he'd hunt deer, and suggested that as a viable solution for every American in his post-minimum-wage world.

Anyone who thinks they're going to support themselves by hunting has obviously never carried 200lbs of dead bloody weight out of a ravine.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

I'd love to piss money and poo poo golden eggs too, but we all can't get everything we want. I get what Libertarianism is, and it still boils down to the silly political pipe dreams of man-children. It still boils down to "gently caress you got mine."

I wouldn't call any of those "working" examples. Even by your own admission they all failed pretty spectacularly. Scale matters too. Both the Spanish and Russian examples are still organized groups self-governing within the context of another, already governed sovereign land. 3 years each is not success even by the most loose subjective measures. Somalia's been going on for at least a couple of decades.

Funny you should mention Somalia, it's basically the best example of libertarian philosophy out there.

Piracy is particularly libertarian. If they really cared about their stuff, wouldn't they have guards?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

That is precisely what makes it a perfect example. A "unified state of libertarianism" is manifestly oxymoronic. Somalia, in contrast, actually exists, and cannot exist any other way than it does without "state intrusion."

The only good libertarian is an ex-libertarian that's realized they're really a Progressive or Christian Dominionist or something.

(You should start a thread to explain these many things about Somalia.)

It's like those edgy t-shirts that used to be around that said some poo poo like, "LOCAL ANARCHIST UNION 183"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Caveat emptor is the only latin a bitcoin needs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Lolie posted:

I can just imagine someone trying to file a $10,000 claim for their stolen laptop. I'd hate to be the poor insurance assessor who has to deal with that claim.

Some of the tamper-proof packaging used today came into existence after similar extortion attempts. Of course in order to prove that there were contaminated products on the shelves in stores, people had to die. The stores took all similar products off the shelves while the manufacturers came up with ways to make the packaging tamper-proof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Remember, positive energy.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

raditts posted:

Nothing on ED is worth reading.

The article on reddit is pretty accurate.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

That's all I can think about.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Three Olives posted:

So, what are the chances two average looking at best gay prostitutes can afford a nice apartment and a 5th Ave "studio" for their fake global television network?

That's a lot of whoring, anyone else thinking they are pulling some sort of other scam?

Onlyonetv.com is probably just a money laundering front. They can say that they got money for "sponsorships" or whatever.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Bruce has zero hope of any libel or slander accusations going anywhere. If all that poo poo he's posted over the years in public places as punlman did not exist, then he might have some chance. But he's got an almost 5 year trail of sleazy, creepy postings and an obvious penchant for some very shady tourism hotspots.

People are reasonably concerned and entirely within their rights to talk about information that he himself put in the public domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

This guy is honestly under the impression that as long as the rapist makes an honest mistake it is OK that the person wasn't actually giving consent.

I am not sure how you can have a more fundamental misunderstanding of US rape law. There's no "WHOOPSIES!" clause in any state that I'm aware.

Thank God there's a "SURPRISE!" clause :smug: