Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

trucutru posted:

Obviously we need to design Fewcoin, where only 21 coins are ever released, but they can be split down to the 30th decimal.

How much is that worth? 143.7 yoctoFewcoins. Or, alternatively, 1437 FC25. Simple and convenient!
And best of all, the Federal Reserve isn't involved! *has laptop stolen, literally loses all money*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

But who brings all this crap into a business environment? He signs his official emails "One Love" and has PUNL everywhere.

This really has to put a kink in their brain. Highly Moderated != Free Market
I was reading an article recently about how libertarians are quite friendly to autocrats and how they thought, perhaps it would be better to have an environment where leaders are taken as a given, and one can choose jurisdictions, rather than one where leaders are selected by - UGH - democracy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Why would you send him the fifty dollars though? Why not just keep it yourself?

Also, the guy promoting this probably has lots of bitcoins and is interested in increasing bitcoin value, I would imagine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but is there a way to explain the bitcoin concept in layman's terms to anyone in like 2 or 3 sentences without acting like a complete schmuck?
"They do some kind of computer stuff to invent fake money and act like it's real money, and it's better because they use computers doing useless math to make it, instead of government authority. It is also a scam."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

^^^-- they are the JP Morgans of bitcoin

red19fire posted:

I hope Krugman updates his editorial with the latest bitCosbycoin news.
Krugman has a job, why should he spend his time on buttcoins

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So you only made $120 off the whole thing, Wafflehound? Or is that net?

That said, well played, and it would seem you were, despite all this goonery... on the level.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tomn posted:

I also like how the market crash's effect on Wafflehound's profits was an excellent demonstration of why real vendors won't touch Bitcoins. PAY ATTENTION BITCOINERS, THIS IS WHY YOUR ECONOMY DOESN'T WORK.
But there was no federal reserve involved!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

gnarlyhotep posted:

Watching these graphs is just mind-boggling. As the price goes up, THEY BUY MORE!! WHY?!?!!
Because they're suckers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

gnarlyhotep posted:

I believe it. They're just so dedicated to being suckers I can't process it.
They should take personal responsibility for being such huge suckers. :smug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

And she told me she loves me so she won't start charging me full interest until I'm old enough to legally work under the Statist regime's tyranous laws. Mean ol' government! If I could get a job now, I'd only owe mommy the principal, but instead they're going to make me pay interest!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Create a cryptic Masonic object, send it to Bruce

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So what's this block chain thing, were all the people with mining rigs just providing free computational resources to people doing account swaps or whatever the gently caress?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Maybe Bitcoin is all just an AMD front.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

azreal posted:

Whatever, you win, I'm done.
So what's up with bitcoins anyway, Bruce? Or Pattaya for that matter. Kind of a weird choice really, you know it's got a rep.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

He's quite right, just not in the way he thinks. A roller coaster is deliberately raised to a high point and allowed, essentially, to fall on guiderails in an elaborate path. For fun, and to make money for whomever owns the roller coaster.

But it always gets back to the bottom, eventually.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rudager posted:

You're forgetting gold has actual practical uses in things like electronics.
I don't think gold's price is due to that, it's due to the various cultural factors around it like he's citing. Dlog, the metal discovered by the Denmark League of Geologists in 1907 which is yellowish, ductile, and a great electrical conductor, would probably not be running at nearly two grand an ounce.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So how come it's OK for MtGox to be a central reserve?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gaze not too long into the buttcoin, for it may be you; you will be the buttcoin.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

makomk posted:

Bitcoin itself is surprisingly robust these days, mostly because the obvious attacks have already been tried by someone and fixed.
How about the attack where MTGox steals all your money? What's the patch for that one?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hungry Gerbil posted:

No, that's just bitcoin working as intended.
At least having my life savings stolen occured without GOVERNMENT COERCION

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Why is it that we hear the loudest yelps for suppression of parasites, from those who provide no useful service whatever, and simply take and take and return nothing to the common wealth, in theory or in practice?

It seems like a directly linear relationship, frankly. The only real outliers I can think of are some doctors.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I don't think the buttcoin will hilariously collapse that much further, if only due to the inelasticity of libertarian hate for anything resembling 'the government and its coercion' and their love for getting scammed. Much like purestrain gold, these are intrinsic factors... we can't do anything about them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I still am wondering, there are in theory only like 22 million buttcoins possible, right? And probably fewer as if they are in a wallet and are lost then they are gone for good.

So is the idea that in the loblertarian future we would be buying a house for 0.00002 bitcoins and have our neighbors say "Wow! How are you ever gonna pay THAT one off?"