Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

oh that Atlas guy is probably also the reddit /r/bitcoin moderator who posted this "IAmA 17 year-old who has turned $50 into over $2500+ in Bitcoins."

http://www.reddit.com/user/AtlasLGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Trouble Man posted:

i was going to be in on the ground floor :(

ground floor of the wtc

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It'll be worth 3 apples and a pear one day.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Splits posted:

I'd mine them for that, as fruit gets expensive off-season.

I love a good pear.

You called my bluff, sell everything!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

dphrag posted:

Is that about right, or am I missing something, cause I feel like I'm missing something.

You're missing Freedom buddy.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

insider posted:

Once this thing crashes and burns I'm really looking forward to the huge amount of awesome video cards that will be on ebay for super cheap.

nah, bitcoin 2.0 will be ready by then.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Rudager posted:

I'm surprised there aren't people scamming other people out of Bitcoins left and right, the nature of the currency is just begging for it.

That bitcoin forum is full of scam gambling threads.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tuff Ghost posted:

What kind of trouble would you get into if you spread fake rumors to drive the price of bitcoins up? For example, make a fake Amazon.com press release stating that bitcoins would be legal tender for purchases, then spread that release around the internet?

Just a thought experiment, not really going to do this.

You'll be arrested by the bitcoin secret service and held as prisoner on Sealand.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I saw 2 groupon for bitcoin styled sites yesterday. One had the SA :v: and the other reddits whale. Both seemed like nothing more than email harvesting sites.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

SnoPuppy posted:

Just have it occur at like midnight GMT. Or some other arbitrary, but predefined time that can be agreed upon by all nodes. And the number of coins could be set based on some function of the number of days since release.

We could finally have a use for Swatch Internet Time.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Imapanda posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing.

there's so much arguing in this thread

can someone send a bitcoin market invite to kalamari13 @ gmail.com since it's invite-only

(please dont kill me :ohdear:)

Sure, just run this executable and it'll get you all setup.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

just saw this on Twitter

Hope that guy doesn't mind losing his house.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

With little recourse available, it seems like someone inclined to has little reason to not scam the poo poo out of people. Isn't that some kind of arms race?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

man thats gross posted:

The BTC isn't dying, it was still-born. This has been nothing more than a macabre puppet-show with the corpse.

Well then, this has nowhere to go but UP UP UP.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Serial entrepreneur sounds like some kind of mental illness.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It'd be funny if that Kevin Day guy is joepie91 the lulzsec member.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

klosterdev posted:

I'm starting to hope that when bitcoins are finally buried people will put their GPUs to good use...like Folding@home's super-fast gpu client. At least some good will have come out of it.

Isn't the idea of altruism poo poo upon by Ayn Rand followers? I thought that was the premise.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

http://logotournament.com/contests/mt.gox

quote:

Top Three Things to Communicate through our Logo:
#1 - Established
#2 - Professional
#3 - Trustworthy

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Can the cashier at the local 7-11 notarize my buttcoin wallet?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I took advantage of this to get myself a tiny fraction of a bitcoin from the faucet. I'm in this for the long-haul now.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

That's creepy. It's like we're looking at a window into the next room with a guy trapped in it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

hope you guys enjoy your blood bitcoins

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I never want bitcoin to go away if this is what we'll get.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

holy poo poo manny

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Now I want them to be able to afford the monthly studio rental cost.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

manny has just cemented the future of bitcoin

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

GidgetNomates posted:

This is my favorite mining rig.

Had to just link it since there are too many important pictures in that post.

His is great because it looks like a grow cab and uses as much electricity as one but its just for bitcoins.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Make sure someone asks Atlas about his javascript mining enterprise.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't think anybody was ready for that crazy poo poo atom went off on.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

In other news, Atlas is working on an ad screenplay and even has suckers buying into it.

Atlas posted:

It seems an excellent production company known as MTB Media LLC has taken on my Bitcoin Ad screenplay and is going to make it a reality. However, labor is a scarce commodity and payment is required to make this a value-driven reality.
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=24608.0

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I never noticed before, but that VirWoX exchange lets you buy Linden Dollars (the Second Life currency) with bitcoins.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I would think all of the ebay stuff is stolen paypal accounts and not the other way around.

And last I looked, Bruce and Ed were working on some new phpchat thing and there were only 4 other people in there with them. It kinda sucks he's so focused on pleasing his non-existent chatroom and not on producing content.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

drat, you guys are up to 106 pages on the wiki. :wtc:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ah, poo poo Atlas has deleted a bunch of his submissions from Reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/seduction/comments/fb1of/so_ive_attempted_the_overall_method_here_as/

quote:

I have been gazing this forum and all of its cited material for a little more than a few months. I've applied much of the basic seduction ideal here along with a lot of my own self-counseling. I've reached a great level of self-confidence and self-validation. I've never been happier. Even as a natural introvert, I am thriving out of my shell. I must give a lot of credit to this subreddit for my improvement.
However, when it comes to claiming women there has been barely a tangible spike in attraction. At least it seems to the current audience of females I am catering to: high school girls.
What result have I truly reached? The only people I am attracting more attention from are -- ironically -- teachers and the more mature and " nerdy"girls. My approach even through very innocuous openers and casual qualifying teasing only leads to most of these girls shutting down into insecurity. It seems I only intimidate now when I attempt to attract and qualify girls that meet my interest. In contrast, when I give praise it is received as a gracious gift. Still even though I have received respect in this endeavor of social improvement, I feel only still as an anomaly. I am still only treated as different but attractive only to a select few.
Should this be expected in a high school setting? Will things be better in the future?
Much obliged.

She's a 22 year old soon-to-be HS teacher and I'm a 17 year old male adolescent. Can't find the other one. :(

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

thelightguy posted:

Considering the primary use for bitcoins was buying scheduled drugs online, I'm not incredibly shocked at this turn of events.

The Bitcoin Trade page has grown pretty big. It's almost kind of impressive until you click a few and they don't work, don't actually accept Bitcoin or it just has nothing to do with any kind of merchant service.

It's like the early days of Internet Directories where people would just spam their site to every directory hoping for links.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I think it'll persist because of criminal activity.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I assume the certificate is so he can ship and get a tracking # for paypal disputes?

So many fees wrapped up in that 1 bitcoin. Listing and final value fees from ebay, transaction fee on paypal. If that bitcoin goes on to mtgox you got more fees.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't even know why you would sell bitcoins off in .99 increments on ebay. You're getting fee'd to death.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Actually this really reminds me of Diablo 2 item selling. You used to be able to sell Diablo 2 stuff on ebay, it even had the US-West and -East categories. People ran pindle-bots farming items to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

BTC.spengler posted:

After fees I'm still making 75 cents on .01BTC, which is, uh, five times the market value.

That's not even possible, paypal has a minimum .30 fee.