Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Patashu posted:

So far only real life mining has a casualty rate, so I'd reconsider

WelL there's that kid who overheated in his room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Bible posted:

But if I scripted it to all happen simultaneously, shouldn't I be able to get out with $30/bitcoin and leave the market collapsing behind me?

Edit: People like me are the problem, aren't we?

You still have to have buyers at that level, people don't put in a bid to buy bitcoins no matter the price, they put in puts at a certain cost. There might only be one single $30 offer on there at the moment.

edit: Obsurveyor beat me to it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I missed a few pages of the thread, have read the last five or so to catch up and am watching this abortion of a show right now.

Is this a correct summary:

Hackers break into MTGOX and steal usernames.

They then put tons of bitcoins up for sale for really cheap from peoples personal accounts.

This Kevin Day dude bought most of them, and is now trying to pretend it should be a genuine trade and isn't at all douchey of him?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Why is this Kevin dude even on this show? Is he really hoping to convince anyone he should keep his coins and doesn't he fear retribution by giving away his identity?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Maybe Judge Judy would take this case.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Please say that someone has a capture of the faces they were all making as they waited to see if the feed was going to turn off.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TheBandOffice posted:

Atlas reaches out to the bitcoin community for help:

:stare:
Even when not discussing bitcoins this forum is just...odd.

I do like that he is listed as a "hero member"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

OatmealRaisin posted:

Is this for real? Jesus, the comedy goldmine that is bitcoin is never gonna run dry, is it?

You need to enter the old account password as part of the process, and as far as I'm aware the passwords themselves haven't been leaked right, just their hashes?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

evilweasel posted:

The incredibly easy to break hashes.

How does that work? (I am sure I could Google it, but figure other people would find clarification interesting since it's relevant to the current situation)

My guess would be like standard brute force password cracking right? Just generate hashes for letter combination's continually until you get a hash that matches?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wow, so yeah, this password reset business is somewhat insane how it is being run then.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Guess it's time to go to lunch so I can enjoy the show & chat.

That MtGox recovery kept telling me my password was invalid - but when I put in just the first 8 characters, it accepted that. Now I'm left wondering if I wrote down the wrong password, or was really using a shorter password than I remember.

On OpenDiary back in the day (shut up) it was actually a feature of the site that only the first 8 characters of your password mattered. Given this is an older site it's entirely possible they were stupid enough to do something like that here.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm curious, has anyone got an actual estimate of how many viewers of the Bitcoin Show are legitimate Bitcoin supporters compared to how many are from this thread?

And has anyone linked him to this thread so we can witness his reaction?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Well, ten minutes to trade time on Mt Gox, what's the predictions for pricing?

I'm going for a quick spike up to $20 then a drawn out decline to $10 in a few hours.

I think there will be a very short spike even higher than that, from people who have a lot of bitcoins trying to artificially inflate the market, is going to drop down definitely though.

At the same time it seems like lots of big holders are pulling out their bitcoins to trade elsewhere, rather than planning on selling them, so the bubble probably won't pop just yet.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

xf86enodev posted:

It's so hilarious how people flip their poo poo about a policy and procedure that's been around for ages. You can practically smell their envy and hypocrisy for not thinking of this themselves. :razz:

No, some of us wouldn't pull a douche move like that even if we thought of it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

From what I have read on the BitCoin forums, is it correct that there was no communication at all with the site operator for a whole MONTH before it went down, and people still trusted it?

In theory he could even be dead or something and the site has just trucked along on autopilot for the last few weeks.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

blunt posted:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33803.0

Just a mixture of jokes and denials really.

Nice...

quote:

These things are for sure going to happen... think about it...

all kinda of bitcoin start-ups happened all at once, some where well made and others not so much
the lack of other resources forced people into using these non-secure applications.
people get burned and so bitcoin suffers.
but "what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger"
new services will come take the place of old lovely ones.
at one point the only services that will have any change at making a buck will be top notch.

if your scared about losing money then SELL SELL SELL!!
if your scared about losing period then BUY BUY BUY!!

I want to see a better system in place
I don't want to pay some bank money for simply providing money
every dolor is loaned to us by the banks, the only way to pay the loans back it to barrow more money!
THIS IS ABUSIVE, THIS IS THERE WAY OF ENSLAVING EVERYONE from 9:00am to 5:00pm 5 days a week!

We can buy back our freedom. thanks to bitcoin.

F&@! MAN wake up and smell join the revelation!.... if bitcoin was invented in the 60's we wouldn't be in so much poo poo today... people back then didn't put a value on there freedom.

Wink

i only cost 16$CND / hour

What dose your "freedom" cost?

truth is everyone's freedom cost the same... it cost a life time.

IT'S OK, THE FREE MARKET IS STILL GOING TO FIX THIS.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This loving thread, every day I read all the new posts and every day there is a new surprise.

Did Bruce really say that was his last live broadcast?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

Despite everything that's happened every few pages we get a new future BitCoin Baron in thread. This is the real magic of BitCoin.

I think that whenever someone shows up in the thread eager to start mining now we should just link to one of the many mining tutorials and laugh at their inevitable misfortune.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Not that it matters in this case, because there is no country on Earth where raping a girl because she dresses slutty is legal.

I'm pretty sure there are some where that might as well be the law though. :(

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

There already was one, but there should probably be another.

This is worthy of bi-weekly front page updates really.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Greyhawk posted:

Oh god this is hilarious. Yes, it's a chatlog. Bear with me.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40934.0

This guy, phantomcircuit, manages/comanages (something like that) the exchanges intersango and britcoin.

Apparently he sent a client 512 times as much BTC as the client requested. He's now trying to strongarm the client into giving the money back. Unsuccessfully of course.

Haha.

quote:

All I can say are all the people in the thread that think he has no obligation to return the property are dead wrong. i've seen many people are the mistaken belief that unless the law is written down and specific you can operate outside of it. That is a mistake. They are confusing malem in se and malem prohibitum.

Not exactly mistaken when you have no authority to enforce those laws...

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

They're setting Anonymous onto us?

So a group that emerged from 4chan that itself emerged from SomethingAwful is now going to destroy us? Did we really sow the seeds of our own demise? :ohdear:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Greyhawk posted:

HAHAHA!

Oh, hay. Let me take that there rent money and put it in your toy bank as monopoly money, alright?

The best part of his post:

quote:

With all the problems Mt. Gox has had I would've thought they would help or be responsible for this.

I love that logic. Mt. Gox has proven to be incompetant in the past, so they can obviously fix this problem.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In all the chaos this video was posted but no-one seemed to really pick up on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjV3wdXDHDk

It's glorious.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Onkel Hedwig posted:

What exactly is stopping people from using a slightly modified client, start their own block chain, and call it CosbyCoin?

Absolutely nothing at all.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JonDev posted:

I've been reading a lot about these lately. I have a GTX 580 in my machine. Do you think it would be profitable to get into bitcoin mining? I mean, I spend a lot of time AFK and I don't see the harm of letting an algorithm run in the background while I'm gone doing stuff during the day.

Or is this a terrible idea?

Ignore all the goons trying to turn you off the idea.

Bitcoin mining is a competition to mine a limited supply of coins. Only a set number can be mined each hour, so every coin you mine is money they can't mine. That makes people jealously try to discourage others from mining.

May I also suggest overclocking your video card? http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/11/20/nvidia-geforce-gtx-580-overclocking/1 has a good guide that will ensure you get the maximum power out of your machine.

My uncles workmates brother has made a small fortune off bitcoin mining, jump in early while it's still going up up up.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Something about this makes me really sad, I'm guessing the odds are that after all this time SETI g up the site he has had roughly 0 sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

At this point while the speculation bubble has brought us much hilarity, has it actually caused any damage to the bitcoin community that existed prior to a few months ago?