Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Suspicious posted:

Aren't there like 200 million solar systems in the galaxy? It takes a while to explore them all.

While this "works" in reality the Space Race episode is so bizarrely out of place with everything in the Stargate setting I have no clue how it actually was approved. Like there are worse acted/plotted or more problematic episodes, but this one is my least favorite in the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Does it postdate the Voyager episode that's the exact same thing?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That episode definitely didn't really work in the greater series context, probably should have had it involve them being accidentally sent to another galaxy and having to win to get back, or something.

Like ok even if those all did exist somehow, why would we not try to talk to them ever again? Messed up.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure that civilization went the same way as the Nox or any other spacefaring society did in the franchise.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Does it postdate the Voyager episode that's the exact same thing?

At least the Stargate one is about a space race and not relationship problems. But yeah there's a couple of Stargate episodes that Voyager did the exact same thing with.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's weird that Stargate decided to establish that the system lords had ruled, unchanging for the thousands of years since they were kicked off of earth, and then the balance of the galaxy only shifts in the few years after Earth finally starts up the stargate program.

Zesty posted:

One interpreted theme from one episode does not negate the very obvious overall message the show was imparting.

I mean, if their intention was to impart the message that religion is bad, they don't really do a very good job of it. They sorta just rely on broad stereotypes that don't align with historical fact (IE, the Egyptians may have had slavery, but the pyramids weren't built by slaves, and the medieval church was actually a bastion of academic scholarship), and it'd be a real stretch to interpret much of that as a metaphor for modern religion.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's weird that Stargate decided to establish that the system lords had ruled, unchanging for the thousands of years since they were kicked off of earth, and then the balance of the galaxy only shifts in the few years after Earth finally starts up the stargate program.

The ranks of the System Lords changed for sure.

Anubis almost took over until the System Lords fought back. He was thought to have died but was really gathering strength.
His weapon was split into 6 "Eye" parts to the top six System Lords. (Ra, Tiamat, Balor all died before the show. Osiris was stuck in a Canopic Jar on Earth. Apophis and Baal were free.)

Sokar almost took over until the System Lords fought back. He was thought to have died but was really gathering strength.

Ra was the Supreme Leader for thousands of years keeping the peace. When he died, others took the opportunity to try and take over.

Even when System Lords fought, they rarely killed each other, but would rather humiliate them by subjugating them.

There was a delicate equilibrium in the galaxy. The Asgard treaty protected some unknown number of worlds.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Plus (this is something all the other spacefaring aliens kinda messes with) there were only a few technologically advanced human cultures. The Tau’ri were such a destabilizing force because they had a huge population and a very advanced society by the standards of anyone but the Goauld or a few others. And they had some powerful allies, there’s no counting how many times Earth would’ve been toast without the Tokra and rebel Jaffa.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

xerxus posted:

There was a delicate equilibrium in the galaxy. The Asgard treaty protected some unknown number of worlds.

I believe the exact count is 26. 27 if you include Earth.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

General Battuta posted:

Plus (this is something all the other spacefaring aliens kinda messes with) there were only a few technologically advanced human cultures. The Tau’ri were such a destabilizing force because they had a huge population and a very advanced society by the standards of9 anyone but the Goauld or a few others. And they had some powerful allies, there’s no counting how many times Earth would’ve been toast without the Tokra and rebel Jaffa.

Yeah outside Earth, you have maybe a dozen? Other planets/civilizations with similar or better tech.

1. Tollan, more advanced Isolationists that when the Goauld tried to gently caress with they got slapped.
2. Jonas People (Who were like a proto/beta Gennii from Atlantis which were cool and made more sense due to hibernation). Also trying to remember if they paid tribute to someone or not.
3. Nazi bunker guys with drones and fusion reactors.
4. Space Race guys who kicked out the Goauld on the planet and seem to have an interstellar civilization? (Odd)
5. Aeschen who had just found out about stargates I think. Owned the Goauld in the alt reality episode.
6. The people with hoverships whose stargate got buried and captured SG-1 and then reburied the gate.
7. Tribunal Planet? Which I forget details on.

I think there were a few more, but I think that is most if them.

Edit Again: 8m Wormhole Extreme writer whose civilization got owned by apophis.

9. Planet that got owned by the bugs that chestburstered you in a pg13 way.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 18, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Definitely needed to be a "shunted off into a branch of the stargate system" or even "accidentally picked up by some other race's proto-stargate" episode instead of just business as usual. That way we'd never think about that being their only incongruous appearance.

Also the Genii had loving awesome weapons.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Space Race doesn't really fit into the overall lore of the show well, but I imagine that at some point they had a confrontation with the Goa'uld which they managed to come out on top of but went ultra isolationist, and they ended up in a situation where they weren't worth the combined system lords going after them, but any individual system lord going on the attack against them would be seen by the others as an attempt to gain some sort of advantage and change the balance of power.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Goa'uld really were quite a crab bucket

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

Yeah outside Earth, you have maybe a dozen? Other planets/civilizations with similar or better tech.

1. Tollan, more advanced Isolationists that when the Goauld tried to gently caress with they got slapped.
2. Jonas People (Who were like a proto/beta Gennii from Atlantis which were cool and made more sense due to hibernation). Also trying to remember if they paid tribute to someone or not.
3. Nazi bunker guys with drones and fusion reactors.
4. Space Race guys who kicked out the Goauld on the planet and seem to have an interstellar civilization? (Odd)
5. Aeschen who had just found out about stargates I think. Owned the Goauld in the alt reality episode.
6. The people with hoverships whose stargate got buried and captured SG-1 and then reburied the gate.
7. Tribunal Planet? Which I forget details on.

I think there were a few more, but I think that is most if them.

Edit Again: 8m Wormhole Extreme writer whose civilization got owned by apophis.

9. Planet that got owned by the bugs that chestburstered you in a pg13 way.

The shrinking dome city where the AI yeeted people out into the poisonous atmosphere.

The other artic dome city that turns SG1 into steampunk slaves

Robot world that gets hurt by radio waves or w/e

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean, if their intention was to impart the message that religion is bad, they don't really do a very good job of it. They sorta just rely on broad stereotypes that don't align with historical fact (IE, the Egyptians may have had slavery, but the pyramids weren't built by slaves, and the medieval church was actually a bastion of academic scholarship), and it'd be a real stretch to interpret much of that as a metaphor for modern religion.

don't bring your facts and nuance into this, how can you score internet atheist points that way??

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

The Goa'uld really were quite a crab bucket

Is this a Dan Carlin thing? I just heard that episode today.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

don't bring your facts and nuance into this, how can you score internet atheist points that way??

:psyduck:

I'm not an atheist. You don't have to be an atheist to see this theme.

Do you think people need to be Christian to see the biblical themes in Star Wars? Or that they're doing it just for brownie points?

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 18, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

General Battuta posted:

Is this a Dan Carlin thing? I just heard that episode today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zesty posted:

:psyduck:

I'm not an atheist. You don't have to be an atheist to see this theme.

Do you think people need to be Christian to see the biblical themes in Star Wars? Or that they're doing it just for brownie points?

I don't even know why I posted that, looking back it was needlessly hostile, not to mention inaccurate as you say, so I apologize.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I don't even know why I posted that, looking back it was needlessly hostile, not to mention inaccurate as you say, so I apologize.

That's okay. No hard feelings.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Ho poo poo so that's what that means. I'd heard the phase before but thought it was a general allusion to the fact being in a bucket full of crabs would be unpleasant, or that a bucket full of steamed crab legs is an impending messy experience.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

As requested when I mentioned the idea, I am here to share that I have started a Blind Watch thread for all of the Stargate Franchise in Sci-Fi Wi-Fi, in homage to how wonderful the Bablyon 5 blind watch thread has been. Just wanted to let you all know. :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928658

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So this article from a couple of years back makes a decent case for Stargate, ID4, and 10,000 BC as being an unofficial trilogy.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Sanguinia posted:

As requested when I mentioned the idea, I am here to share that I have started a Blind Watch thread for all of the Stargate Franchise in Sci-Fi Wi-Fi, in homage to how wonderful the Bablyon 5 blind watch thread has been. Just wanted to let you all know. :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928658

I won't spam your thread, but bookmarked and looking forward to it.

It's a gem of a show after a couple incredibly badly aged season 1 eps, I'll let you figure them out.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Don't want to junk up the guys watch thread

Zaroff posted:

Which ones are they? Based on the episode guide I found online, that would be:

Cold Lazarus
Fire and Water
Tin Man

Of those, I thought the first was one of the better ones of season 1, and the second and third aren't too bad. Hathor is however conspicuously absent from that list of bad ones, as is Politics (which like the other SG-1 clipshows isn't complete trash, but isn't good).

While you can argue that these are not good episodes none of them are as bad as Emancipation.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

8one6 posted:

Don't want to junk up the guys watch thread

While you can argue that these are not good episodes none of them are as bad as Emancipation.

True, but the conversation had already established Emancipation and Broca Divide were not good episodes and were looking at other bad Season 1 episodes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Hathor" is a pretty bad episode but I don't think it's complete garbage. The body horror of being turned into a Jaffa against one's is introduced, and it has this subtle deal with Hathor herself switching between warbly snake god voice and normal human and referring to herself as "we". Uniquely among all the Goa'uld, it seems strongly suggestive of Hathor existing in a true symbiosis with her host. Hell, even the Tok'ra just do a body timeshare thing, there's some emotional/subconscious connection with their blends but they don't merge so completely to the point of switching mid-sentence and completing each other's thoughts.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

McSpanky posted:

"Hathor" is a pretty bad episode but I don't think it's complete garbage. The body horror of being turned into a Jaffa against one's is introduced, and it has this subtle deal with Hathor herself switching between warbly snake god voice and normal human and referring to herself as "we". Uniquely among all the Goa'uld, it seems strongly suggestive of Hathor existing in a true symbiosis with her host. Hell, even the Tok'ra just do a body timeshare thing, there's some emotional/subconscious connection with their blends but they don't merge so completely to the point of switching mid-sentence and completing each other's thoughts.

Also since this is a spoilers thread, Hathor also gets followed up on as a villain in Season 2/3 which is more consequential than if this was her only episode. In general I am more lenient with episodes if they set up a better episode down the line.

Emancipation & Broca are just bad one off episodes.
Fire and Water imo is a bad one off episode.

Cold Lazarus kinda closes the Jack Dead Son Angst Arc, but I don't think it works as well if you never see the movie.
Robot SG-1 Tin Man Episode I just remember being incredibly annoyed by the Alien Caretaker and finding the episode boring.

Politics is a clip show, but as someone points out I think in a main run it works better. It kind of lays out and reminds how SG-1 hasn't actually recovered any useful technology to defend earth, nearly lost the SGC multiple times and spent a year antagonizing Apophis more and more. Kinsey is an rear end in a top hat, but honestly Stargate Program has accomplished nothing except suck up I assume tons of DoD money and has little return and this was back in the 90's when we had a balanced congressional budget. Sure they laid the seeds of future gains especially on Midgard with the Asgard, but that is like ~100 episodes from now when it starts paying off~ Hell Tok'ra don't show up till next season too who are really the first semi-useful ally they get.

To counter the negativity my favorite season one episode is "There But for the Grace of God"

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 24, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do we ever see anymore Queen Goa’uld that reproduce like Hathor? I can’t remember.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Do we ever see anymore Queen Goa’uld that reproduce like Hathor? I can’t remember.

There's a queen Tok'ra symbiote in a way later episode in a tank (and Anubis pulls the same trick to quick grow his super soldiers), but there aren't any other examples of reproduction with joined symbiotes.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
There are some episodes that are clearly a bit ham-fisted when it comes to the portrayal of religion, but overall the show is extremely and unusually consistent in its anti-religious themes, particularly for North American TV.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just rewatched the OG movie with James Spader. It's a really silly movie but I love the sets/costumes and the music is still epic AF. It makes me really excited for the new Dune movie because I really like the desert scifi setting.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pararoid posted:

There are some episodes that are clearly a bit ham-fisted when it comes to the portrayal of religion, but overall the show is extremely and unusually consistent in its anti-religious themes, particularly for North American TV.

The Goa'uld are cultural parasites as much as anything else and it's pointed out several times that they stole their motifs from Earth religions, that one time when they went to the medieval village with the demonic Unas running things Teal'c is like "I do not believe any Goa'uld could display the necessary benevolence or compassion to portray the Christian God". I never took the show to be particularly anti-religion, more like anti-demagoguery.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Were the humans in the Pegasus galaxy not descended from Earth Humans? I don't recall how that worked. Like, they were independently created by the ancients?

Ditto with Ori galaxy?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Zesty posted:

Were the humans in the Pegasus galaxy not descended from Earth Humans? I don't recall how that worked. Like, they were independently created by the ancients?

Ditto with Ori galaxy?

If I remember correctly the Ori galaxy is the original home of humans. Then the ancients left because of the Ori and came to the Milky Way/Earth, then the plague happened and they rebooted human life in the galaxy with the big tower thing SG1 used to wipe out the replicators (leading to modern day humans) then they hosed off to the Pegasus galaxy and that's where I get murky. I can't remember if Pegasus humans are direct descendants of the Ancients/Atlantians or if it was another "seeded human life" thing like Earth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
According to the wiki, the galaxy the Ori live in was the original home of the ancients. The Lanteans and Ori split and the Lanteans came to the Milky Way. Then they had some plague and had to leave. Before leaving, they seeded the Milky Way with human life with the super weapon. So human life originated in the Ori's galaxy I guess.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Stargate lore when it comes to the origins of humanity doesn't really make any sense and it's best to not think too much about it.

Like did their life seeding device also put all the life on Earth, including fossil records of life that never actually existed?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dinosaur bones were put there to test your faith in the Ori.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assume that when they seeded humanity they did so in the form of Animo acids and proteins that could one day evolve into human life, with a fairly high likelihood. Dinosaurs and such would be expected aberrant offshoots with a minimal chance of out developing the proteins destined to be human, to provide, I dunno, biological diversity and eccentricity. I mean if the Ancients are so great why did they keep dumping their superweapons all over the place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I assume that when they seeded humanity they did so in the form of Animo acids and proteins that could one day evolve into human life, with a fairly high likelihood. Dinosaurs and such would be expected aberrant offshoots with a minimal chance of out developing the proteins destined to be human, to provide, I dunno, biological diversity and eccentricity. I mean if the Ancients are so great why did they keep dumping their superweapons all over the place?

The whole point of the weapon though was that it was intended to terraform a whole bunch of planets, and also give some form of explanation for why a whole bunch of planets looked like Earth. Just looking at the difference between continents on Earth separated by a few million years shows little about evolution is inevitable or pre-determined.

Except Sharks and Dolphins, I fully expect that if/when we find some top of food chain aquatic alien it will be a Flipper shaped bastard.