Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«237 »
Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

China, UK, and I think France were involved. One of the annoying things about Atlantis was that while Grodin wore a Union Flag patch on his arm, the scotch doctor got a saltire patch.

On the one hand it was nice to see a reflection of the UK's large asian community, on the other it was bizarre, and a little offensive, to have that dreadful fake accent walking around with the Scottish flag when it should have been the same as Grodin's.

Atlantis also had guys with german flag patches worn upside down now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Forum Actuary posted:

Atlantis also had guys with german flag patches worn upside down now and then.

How can you tell if a swastika is upside down?

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Flatscan posted:

How can you tell if a swastika is upside down?

I give up, how can you tell?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I give up, how can you tell?

When you flush it down the toilet it spins clockwise?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

to have that dreadful fake accent walking around with the Scottish flag

But... Paul McGillion is Scottish? Born there, raised by Scottish parents mostly in Canada, but still more Scottish than Irish-descent James Doohan ever was?

I would love to know what Radek is saying when he goes off into those tirades in Czech. I know he's swearing as profanely as he can, I just wish I spoke Czech. I think it'd be funny.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

But... Paul McGillion is Scottish? Born there, raised by Scottish parents mostly in Canada, but still more Scottish than Irish-descent James Doohan ever was?

I would love to know what Radek is saying when he goes off into those tirades in Czech. I know he's swearing as profanely as he can, I just wish I spoke Czech. I think it'd be funny.

Still sounds fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgeQf-LaNno

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It sounded fake but who really cares? Stargate was best when it wasn't taking itself too seriously.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER

Got to season 2 episode "Need", my memory was re-jogged after about 5 minutes, and promptly skipped ahead to "Thor's Chariot".

"Need" is that lovely episode where Daniel sleeps with the some princess and they all become addicted to the sarcaphogus, and they're so evil now, ablooo bloooo. So even though it takes 20+ trips to the sarcaphogus in the space of a day or two to get addicted, there is no reason to let mortally or seriously wounded or disease-stricken individuals to use the drat thing once or twice?

Look, I know it's just fiction, but god dammit as someone with actual health problems, the preaching on that episode actively pisses me off to no end. Ugh. It's like assholes who have never experienced actual, real chronic pain for months on end from terrible injuries (not just "ouch I banged my knee tee hee") that seem to think you are a morally bankrupt cretin for needing weed to make the pain go away, if only for a little while.

This might be the only episode of Stargate to actually enrage me in a self-righteous way- I wear my pathetic nerd badge with shame.

Now, on the other hand, "Thor's Chariot" was awesome!

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Rade...Czech_outbursts

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

...aw. Nykl said he was cursing profanely. "into the rear end" and "poo poo on you" amongst a sea of normal things to say isn't what I was expecting.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yehudis Basya posted:

In the SG-1 episode "Tin Man", a robot dude makes robot copies of Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, and O'Neil. Robot Teal'c is messed up and tries to murder Robot O'Neil. The robot creator keeps calling Teal'c "different black". I always thought that was a reference to the racism of the show, but maybe it's not, who knows?

Are you sure you're not thinking of the episode with Rene Auberjonois as Space Hitler? He doesn't like Teal'c and everyone assumes because it's because he's a Jaffa like every other planet they've ever been to.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Still sounds fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgeQf-LaNno

Honestly his "real" accent, the American one, sounds much faker than his Scottish accent.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Palleon posted:

Honestly his "real" accent, the American one, sounds much faker than his Scottish accent.

Possibly because he's Canadian and sounds Canadian eh.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

Yehudis Basya posted:

"Thor's Chariot" was awesome!

Anything related to Thor is awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Deal With it Midgardian

Supreme commander Thor

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Supreme commander Thor

Doh. I just Kinsey'd myself.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

twistedmentat posted:

Supreme commander Thor

Case in point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FvLRk0wt4k

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

yesssss "Bane", the episode where Teal'c turns into a giant moth or whatever, please be as hilarious as I remember!

Tactical Grace
Apr 30, 2008

I just watched the first film and the first 3/4 episodes of SG1 and completely failed to get into it. Its even aged well but I dunno.

I think a lot of the reason is the writing. It feels a lot like Dr Who which I can't watch either.
\/\/

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at May 29, 2011 around 07:14

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tactical Grace posted:

I just watched the first film and the first 3/4 episodes of SG1 and completely failed to get into it. Its even aged well but I dunno.

You hate fun. Sorry.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Possibly because he's Canadian and sounds Canadian eh.

When he talks it sounds like when a British person tries to do a bad American accent on TV, by sounding as boring and monotone as possible. He doesn't sound Canadian to me at all, but I'm also from the Midwest so I can't pick it up as easily

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grimey Drawer

The only way I can tell someone is Canadian is when they say "sorry."

ClassH
Mar 17, 2008

If you like seeing stargate actors in other movies check out A Dog's Breakfast.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796314/
It seems like David Hewitt wanted to make a movie and basically roped in the people around him. It has:
McKay as main character
McKay's sister in the show and real life
Beckett without the accent
Taylea
Teal'c

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

I systematically binged through all of SG-1 a few years ago, in fact I think I caught up as season 10 was airing. I remember they were making a feature length stargate film set after the season 10 had ended? Did that ever happen and was it any good?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kraxis posted:

I systematically binged through all of SG-1 a few years ago, in fact I think I caught up as season 10 was airing. I remember they were making a feature length stargate film set after the season 10 had ended? Did that ever happen and was it any good?

They made two. The first one wrapped up the retarded Ori plot, and was pretty stupid. But with a boat anchor of suck around your neck like the Ori arc what could anyone expect?

The second one was a time travel romp with Ba'al and was really quite good.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Kraxis posted:

There were two SG1 movies. Ark of Truth wraps up the Ori storyline. Continuum involves Baal, and is therefore awesome. Both are good actually.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

richardfun posted:

There were two SG1 movies. Ark of Truth wraps up the Ori storyline. Continuum involves Baal, and is therefore awesome. Both are good actually.

Are you forgetting the repliterminator and Teal'c's 5 minute cinematic running sequence? And how they defeat that chick from Firefly and V? By kicking over a table.

Because I'm cringing even thinking about Ark of Truth.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

IRQ posted:

Are you forgetting the repliterminator and Teal'c's 5 minute cinematic running sequence? And how they defeat that chick from Firefly and V? By kicking over a table.

Because I'm cringing even thinking about Ark of Truth.

I've rewatched my favourite SG-1 eps the last few weeks (I have quite a few favourites) and I love every campy minute of it. I don't even mind AoT

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I think my favorite moment of SG-1 is when Teal'c sits down to watch the Vagina monologues.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Yehudis Basya posted:

yesssss "Bane", the episode where Teal'c turns into a giant moth or whatever, please be as hilarious as I remember!

Okay so it was actually much, much better than I remembered. It would have been so easy to slip into bad sci fi (instead of just campy sci fi), and they avoided it. Bonus points for the super soaker fight at the end!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I thought Jack and Daniel were my favourite duo in the franchise. But now that I'm rewatching Atlantis for the first time, I realize how wrong I was. McKay and Shepard are fantastic together!

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

richardfun posted:

I thought Jack and Daniel were my favourite duo in the franchise.

...Jack Daniel's

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grimey Drawer

richardfun posted:

I thought Jack and Daniel were my favourite duo in the franchise. But now that I'm rewatching Atlantis for the first time, I realize how wrong I was. McKay and Shepard are fantastic together!

Shepard is good with anyone.

Shepard: So, Ronan, you got a girlfriend?
Ronan: no
Shepard: Oh, sorry to presume. Boyfriend?
Ronan: ...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Shepard is good with anyone.

Shepard: So, Ronan, you got a girlfriend?
Ronan: no
Shepard: Oh, sorry to presume. Boyfriend?
Ronan: ...

Or whenever he calls him Chewie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Coach Bloodbutt
Default Status: POOPING

Shepard and his naming of things/people was one of my favorite aspects of the show.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

He's like the Sawyer of Stargate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Coach Bloodbutt
Default Status: POOPING

spankmeister posted:

He's like the Sawyer of Stargate.

Psh, John's way more fun and creative than Sawyer was.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Psh, John's way more fun and creative than Sawyer was.

I love the fact that he's 'Mensa' smart.

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Remember how awesome the Asgard were? Just wiping out Goauld pyramid ships and telling humanity is not ready yet? Then 8 seasons later "meh, we don't want to try solving our problems anymore, we'll just kill ourselves. Here's EVERY single thing we know for you, k thx bye"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

CaptainQuirk posted:

Remember how awesome the Asgard were? Just wiping out Goauld pyramid ships and telling humanity is not ready yet? Then 8 seasons later "meh, we don't want to try solving our problems anymore, we'll just kill ourselves. Here's EVERY single thing we know for you, k thx bye"

It's not that they decided to give up, it's that they'd managed to give themselves some hosed degenerative disease while trying to solve the cloning problem. It wasn't really mass suicide, it was more mass euthanasia. Better that than just loving off and leaving all their high-tech doomsday devices just lying around for any retarded caveman to find. loving ancients.

«237 »