Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blood and Chrome was amazing.... You sure you're not meaning Caprica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Origins is completely unrelated to the show and just a prequel to the movie, right?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Rocksicles posted:

Blood and Chrome was amazing.... You sure you're not meaning Caprica?

No Blood and Chrome was cool, but for whatever reason this web series reminds me of it. I remember rumors of a new Cylon War TV show on Sci-Fi that became a Web Series, which wasn't really advertised much so not too many people saw it.

But Caprica man oh man that was a couple rough years for Sci-Fi with BSG & Atlantis ending and being replaced by Caprica and SG:U. I am still not sure what they were trying to do with Caprica... that show was so disjointed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Caprica was originally a completely different, fully fleshed out show about artificial intelligence. Siffy came along and slapped on the BSG stuff and made Ron Moore work on it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Caprica was originally a completely different, fully fleshed out show about artificial intelligence. Siffy came along and slapped on the BSG stuff and made Ron Moore work on it.

What the hell?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

What the hell?

He's right, all the BSG stuff was shoehorned in. I still thought it was an ok show by the end, but man did it start out rough.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mu Zeta posted:

This makes so much sense.

I really liked Caprica though, even if it was a complete mess.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

IRQ posted:

He's right, all the BSG stuff was shoehorned in. I still thought it was an ok show by the end, but man did it start out rough.

I always felt Caprica would have been a better show if they had dropped the BSG stuff. It gained nothing by using the name and caused fans of BSG to come in with completely different expectations and not enjoy it for what it was. They also lost viewers that didn't like BSG and may have enjoyed whatever Caprica would have been called without the tie in.

It just makes it more confusing when it was added in later.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I loving adored Caprica. It had great characterisation, pushed its characters in interesting directions. The first season finale was amazing, and the show had Bear McCreary's last really great score. It was great stuff.

(Also, I love that it was a mashup of Dynasty and cyberpunk. Kevin Murphy's Syfy stuff -- he also did Defiance, with which this show has a lot in common -- rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but it's totally up my alley. He and Jane Espenson are great showrunners, and they need to have more stuff thrown their way.)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Open Source Idiom posted:

I loving adored Caprica. It had great characterisation, pushed its characters in interesting directions. The first season finale was amazing, and the show had Bear McCreary's last really great score. It was great stuff.

(Also, I love that it was a mashup of Dynasty and cyberpunk. Kevin Murphy's Syfy stuff -- he also did Defiance, with which this show has a lot in common -- rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but it's totally up my alley. He and Jane Espenson are great showrunners, and they need to have more stuff thrown their way.)

I was impressed by the world-building in Caprica. Instead of just making it like modern America, they actually tried to figure out how a technologically advanced but polytheistic society based on twelve planets would work. So many little things that made you remember "oh yeah, this is a completely alien society" but still kept it relatable enough for you to care.

Then the Cylons basically started their version of The Crusades and BSG happened.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Oh good I'm not the only one that enjoyed Caprica. I felt so weird in my circle of friends and I wasn't sure if I was desperate for something BSG related or if the show was genuinely good on its own merits. No one else liked it besides me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm looking to do a full Stargate rewatch. Are there any worthwhile podcasts anyone would recommend that do watchthroughs?

There's No Place Like Terra looks good but they're currently only a hundred episodes into SG-1.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 2, 2018

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Stargate Origins trailer finally dropped and...I guess it doesn't look terrible? The gate model is janky and most of the footage is on soundstages, but apart from the low budget-ness it looks like it could be a decent Indiana Jones-esque serial.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itqq9hzLapk

Definitely seeing Connor Trinneer in there.

Wonder if they actually did end up scrapping the television lore completely, alienating the entire fanbase. The original movie came out 24 years ago. I doubt there are still people looking back on it as the only true Stargate other than Devlin and Emmerich.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks like they are doing a more grounded version of the story with Indiana Jones type characters. I rather see something new than more of the old shows, but Origins looks really, really cheap.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But even in the movie they needed Daniel to figure out the glyphs. I don’t know who this is for.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Invalid Validation posted:

But even in the movie they needed Daniel to figure out the glyphs. I don’t know who this is for.

I'm going to go ahead and say MGM shareholders who don't know anything about Stargate other than it used to make money.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Give it a decent budget and put it on Netflix and it probably would. This thing and their service is going to tank hard.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
But Star Trek Discovery is doing gangbusters.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aleph Null posted:

But Star Trek Discovery is doing gangbusters.

In torrented downloads! And on Netflix overseas.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Netflix rights alone paid for Discovery's second season. That stupid walled garden could fail and they would still generate money just making it for Netflix.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also the quality of Trek on CBS All Access is poo poo compared to Netflix. It's not even 5.1 on All Access. C'mon man!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why do you even need the stargate IP if you're just going to do generic Indiana Jones knockoff. It makes about as much sense as a star wars prequel where young Luke finds an underground tomb on tatooine and fights mummys and vampires.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why do you even need the stargate IP if you're just going to do generic Indiana Jones knockoff. It makes about as much sense as a star wars prequel where young Luke finds an underground tomb on tatooine and fights mummys and vampires.

Because we will/would all watch that.

Won't be paying for their streaming service though.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I've been watching Atlantis for the first time, and I've just finished season 1. This is way better than I expected. McKay is getting notable character development and isn't just a shitheel all the time and Major Sheppard is basically just written as young RDA and Joe Flanigan nails the delivery. I find myself actually liking Weir, even though she hasn't gotten nearly enough screen time to flesh her out properly.

Teyla is a little bland, but her actress seems to nail what little they give her (cookie-cutter noble savage archetype, blah).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Welcome to Atlantis enjoy your stay. Your thoughts are pretty consistent with most viewers. It’s all around enjoyable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blasphemeral posted:

I've been watching Atlantis for the first time, and I've just finished season 1. This is way better than I expected. McKay is getting notable character development and isn't just a shitheel all the time and Major Sheppard is basically just written as young RDA and Joe Flanigan nails the delivery. I find myself actually liking Weir, even though she hasn't gotten nearly enough screen time to flesh her out properly.

Teyla is a little bland, but her actress seems to nail what little they give her (cookie-cutter noble savage archetype, blah).

Lt. Ford is a good character and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

IRQ posted:

Yeah, he's able to walk that line between "a pal with a good sense of humor" and "a no-nonsense soldier". I like him a lot.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I can't wait for Indiana Jones and the Chappa'ai Circle of Water

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Ford was the worst thing about the show by far and it improved from good to great as soon as he was booted and replaced with Ronon.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Early Ford felt kind of flat to me but I didn't outright dislike him, he was just kind of...there. But roided-out spacedrugs Ford was loving awesome and should have been more of a recurring character throughout the series. Although I understand wanting to avoid oversaturation with Ronon already there.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Ford was a victim of bad writing. So was Teyla, but they kept her around. Maybe if Ford had learned to sing...

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

I think my altogether favorite character is Dr. Beckett. I get a genuine belly laugh from him at least every third episode.

Dr. Beckett, recording a message to send home: "What should I say?"
Lt. Ford: "... that you wish they were here?"
Beckett: "That I wish who was here?"
Ford: "Whoever you wish was here."
Beckett: "I don't bloody well wish I was here!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aleph Null posted:

Ford was a victim of bad writing. So was Teyla, but they kept her around. Maybe if Ford had learned to sing...

I feel like the character had more going for it than Teyla and ~MAI PEOPLE~ but I guess they felt like they needed an alien fighter/ambassador character, which I don't disagree with, but like, maybe Teyla could get eaten by a sandworm when Ronan showed up to handle that role better.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The biggest problem with Ford is he didn't have a niche (super scientist like McKay/Carter, Soldier like Shepard/O'Neil, Leader like Weir/Hammond, etc) so the writers didn't do anything with him and he wasn't nearly as charismatic as anyone else on the cast so he couldn't stand out that way. That just left him "the soldier guy who's not in command".
Teyla survived because she was the not!Teal'c for the first season and the second/primary female lead the rest of the series.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Until he's not. Then he's a twat.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blasphemeral posted:

Let me tell you about a little man called Ronin... and his really nice gun.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Just don't ask where the bullets come from.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moddington posted:

Just don't ask where the bullets come from.

Or to train stick fighting... or golf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if0-CNg-UZU&t=18s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqwV8wZ79Ig

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Favourite moment from Atlantis: