Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

And Jason Momoa just took his pal Joe Flanigan to Vegas for his birthday.

It makes my heart melt that they're still best friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I loved the gate bridge!

It's a cool sci fi idea, a clunky solution to a problem that they just didn't have the proper technology to fix. The Hyperdrives were just too slow for wartime emergencies!

I forgot it was in Atlantis though, I kept expecting it to pop up in SG1 and now I'm almost done.

Maybe I need to go through Atlantis too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm just a few episodes away from finishing Atlantis, and yeah rewatch it. Love it.

I wish Universe had survived, I'm sad to be nearing the end again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Universe has gotten better in retrospect because of my increased fondness for the cast due to their other work since. I wish David Blue had managed to have a post SG career.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I never had much problem with Universe, if it had a slightly lighter tone it would have been perfect, and after that its biggest flaw is that it was cancelled.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was correcting itself towards the end. But just like Dark Matter if you don’t get your poo poo together faster you’re gonna get cut.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Universe started off iffy, but the end of the first season and the 2nd season were good.

My main gripe with it was that most of the conflict came from the crew bickering instead of an outside threat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, you need a good combo. Atlantis is the best for everyone sniping at each other while working together to solve a deadly problem, then they chill and have lunch together.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Universe was based so heavily in badly aping other shows at the start that it was impossible for me to take anything that happened afterward seriously, even though the show did actually improve a bit towards the end. I liked the cast though and enjoy seeing them turn up in Canadian-filmed shows even now.

Also by that point I felt like Stargate's lore had become so convoluted as to be practically inaccessible even to people like me who had been following the franchise on and off since the first movie

I mean by the last season of SG-1 I was not prepared to believe the US government (let alone other nations) would be able to keep any of that poo poo secret or even that it was remotely ethical to do so, and now that I'm a joyless rear end in a top hat adult every episode they spent not handing out naquada reactors to poor people or something seems like a callous waste of resources

I know that's super nitpicky but I feel like if there's ever a real attempt to bring the franchise back then that kind of thing has to be addressed somehow

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'd watch a show/movie that jumped into the future, and had to do some sort of Intervention: Earth from an outside human settlement. Maybe Earth was invaded, maybe the government goes full martial law out of fear and the Stargate team is the last hope for real liberation, idk. Gather allies to go in and fix Earth's problems, and cause a poo poo ton of other problems along the way. Could be coolish.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SGU was so bad initially that we were coming up with insulting nicknames for the entire cast because so few of them actually stood out in any way.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I fondly remember Lt. Jesus and Sgt. Tits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

I fondly remember Lt. Jesus and Sgt. Tits.

What about Sgt. ABM?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Remember the time they were all running out of air and then some lovely slow-sad hipster song about "not forgetting to breathe" started playing on the soundtrack

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember when the goons used the flying orbs to spy on super hot soldier lady?

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Tighclops posted:

Universe was based so heavily in badly aping other shows at the start that it was impossible for me to take anything that happened afterward seriously, even though the show did actually improve a bit towards the end. I liked the cast though and enjoy seeing them turn up in Canadian-filmed shows even now.

Also by that point I felt like Stargate's lore had become so convoluted as to be practically inaccessible even to people like me who had been following the franchise on and off since the first movie

I mean by the last season of SG-1 I was not prepared to believe the US government (let alone other nations) would be able to keep any of that poo poo secret or even that it was remotely ethical to do so, and now that I'm a joyless rear end in a top hat adult every episode they spent not handing out naquada reactors to poor people or something seems like a callous waste of resources

I know that's super nitpicky but I feel like if there's ever a real attempt to bring the franchise back then that kind of thing has to be addressed somehow

They couldn't hand out naquada generators quite yet, the resource was still sorta limited and they really needed those space ships!

Also I just watched the episode where they publically present new technologies at a fraction of their current ability (or fail to work) to slowly introduce new technologies as saying schedule.

By Universe, the amount of people that know, internationally even, really seems like the next show would be the tipping point.

Then Roland Emmerich will get his wish! They don't need a reboot, just do the next series as stargate is a public program and everyone can be happy.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I appreciate that they did try to have some tech sort of seep back into regular Earth culture but it seemed pretty ridiculous that they were funding huge FTL capable space laser battleships to the point where the Russians were building them entirely in secret

I also remember a late-SG1 episode where Carter gets sent to an alternate universe where the Gate program goes public and as a result society crumbles into a dystopian police state so I guess they did at least try to hang a hat on it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rhyno posted:

What about Sgt. ABM?

angry black man actually became lovable in later episodes

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, he was a little over the top at first but became pretty legit later on. Sort of the opposite Ford...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember!

Remember when Colonel Young went shopping for Wray because he remembered she wanted new clothes? I loved the little touches like that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Universe started as what felt like a BSG clone, to the point me and my friends called Rush Baltar.

I think the big problem was they asked for 2 seasons up front because they felt they needed the episodes to develop the story so Season 1 didn't feel they needed to grab much attention as they already had a second season lined up.

It was too little too late, and the show got canned just as it was showing where it was going.

It was really hard not to see it as "Battle Star lite" as I'd just finished watching BSG shortly before it started. I really liked season 2 though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Once they got to the time travel and "our other selves founded a civilization" part the show really picked up.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That wasn't uncommon, I think the mod we had at the time would punish people for saying it was like BSG actually, when he wasn't busy being a perv.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Haha he also probated people for daring to say the walking dead was trash in the live watch threads

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Showrunner Joe even came out and said that Syfy told them to make Stargate more dark and BSG-like.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I could never take Universe even remotely seriously after nobody figured out to send the camera ball in to press the button in the area with no air. Had to have a big dramatic sacrifice instead of solving a problem by appling the tech you already had. Thats how you knew the tone had changed for the worse.

By the end of the show there has basically been a hostile takeover of the ship by a crazy person and you are cool with it because hes loving right.
Started liking the show around then, and then its over. welp.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I haven't watched it in a long time but had Eli discovered the kinos at that point?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I don't remember anything about Universe and I am happier for it. Apparently it got better(?) but I stopped watching sometime in season 2.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

When I watched the whole thing a couple years ago it was pretty boring up until like the last 3 or so episodes. So it might as well have been over by then anyways. I was so down for a more serious Stargate and they could have milked the all alone on crazy spaceship forever. But that is what we got. I’m sure if someone wanted to really make a serious Stargate it would be good, just don’t let SYFY shove it on you.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Still maintain that the Ori plot could have been absolutely amazing and given lots of ground for future series to mine if they had Priors actually reach Earth and manage to convert a bunch of people. Suddenly the Stargate program, aliens, spaceships and everything else are public knowledge globally. The Ori come in and while they are fighting elsewhere try to convert Earth using soft diplomacy by turning Earth against itself. Every nation they befriend gets advanced medical technology overnight, in those countries poverty is eradicated, and much of the world has a legitimate grounding for thinking that those who knew about the Stargate program and said nothing for all these years are the bad guys.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I haven't watched it in a long time but had Eli discovered the kinos at that point?

Didn't they find them like right away?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

Still maintain that the Ori plot could have been absolutely amazing and given lots of ground for future series to mine if they had Priors actually reach Earth and manage to convert a bunch of people. Suddenly the Stargate program, aliens, spaceships and everything else are public knowledge globally. The Ori come in and while they are fighting elsewhere try to convert Earth using soft diplomacy by turning Earth against itself. Every nation they befriend gets advanced medical technology overnight, in those countries poverty is eradicated, and much of the world has a legitimate grounding for thinking that those who knew about the Stargate program and said nothing for all these years are the bad guys.

Stargate never, ever had anything approaching the balls to try something like this. No show has.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Virginia Dialogues this Friday night, anyone?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

drat it, I finished Atlantis

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Tighclops posted:

Yeah I appreciate that they did try to have some tech sort of seep back into regular Earth culture but it seemed pretty ridiculous that they were funding huge FTL capable space laser battleships to the point where the Russians were building them entirely in secret

I also remember a late-SG1 episode where Carter gets sent to an alternate universe where the Gate program goes public and as a result society crumbles into a dystopian police state so I guess they did at least try to hang a hat on it

They toyed with it a few different times without actually stepping over the line.
It's too much to ask for, but I wish they would do a new series that continues the old story lines but time has passed and the gate is public knowledge now. Hell it's been 10 years since Atlantis ended. They could even pick it up with Atlantis being the new Stargate Command since it ended up on Earth. Probably have to get all new people but maybe some of the old actors can have cameos if they're available.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I want more McKay

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

We already saw what happens when the public is aware of the stargate. They turned it into an airport.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I think the most original and unexpected thing for them to do would be to just make a really good show with charismatic actors playing interesting, well-written characters who go through the stargate to a different world once per week and have a fun, unique adventure that does interesting things with common sci-fi tropes. Have the writing, special effects, cinematography and directing of a prestige drama, except also it's just... loving stargate.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I don't really know why they'd feel a need to change a formula that got them fifteen seasons anyhow, but that always seems to happen

Edit: to add my important idea that the next Stargate have a cute pet MALP

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DirtyRobot posted:

I think the most original and unexpected thing for them to do would be to just make a really good show with charismatic actors playing interesting, well-written characters who go through the stargate to a different world once per week and have a fun, unique adventure that does interesting things with common sci-fi tropes. Have the writing, special effects, cinematography and directing of a prestige drama, except also it's just... loving stargate.

No no it has to be depressing and the characters all have to be angsty and distrustful of each other or we won't relate to how human and grown up they are, this is the ordained future of all sci fi franchises