Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

banned from Starbucks posted:

i had to youtube it to confirm but yeah it shuts off

Is that from the original pilot tho? I feel like its one of the things they fixed in the remastered version from a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mmm no clue. could be from the old pilot. Ive never seen the new redone version. Full frontal for lyfe.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Did they ever retcon that, I swear someone had a wristband that could dial gates

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ratjaculation posted:

Did they ever retcon that, I swear someone had a wristband that could dial gates

Future Cassandra did when they mis-timed their jump from 1969.

Also in the SG1 movies they had like a pocket dialing thing they could just slap on the side of a gate to power it up and dial out.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
That Nox lady could handwave the gate to active status. Not sure if they show any other races doing that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The asgard too I think. When O'Neill goes to their planet and gets his brain wiped they just push a button thing and it activates

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think an Ascended Ancient may have done that in Atlantis once.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I think an Ascended Ancient may have done that in Atlantis once.

Aren't the Nox basically right at the point of Ascension but choose to stay in this form because they prefer it? Asgard DNA fuckery is locking them out despite them so desperately wanting it to save their dying race.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

pixaal posted:

Aren't the Nox basically right at the point of Ascension but choose to stay in this form because they prefer it? Asgard DNA fuckery is locking them out despite them so desperately wanting it to save their dying race.

Painting ourselves into a genetic corner and then finding out God is real and no longer wants us seems like exactly what Humans would do in our irl future

8one6
May 20, 2012

What if the Ancients designed stairs?
https://i.imgur.com/40Iw8eb.mp4

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

8one6 posted:

What if the Ancients designed stairs?

They're called escalators and their potential failure states are just as terrifying as stargates.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Doggles posted:

They're called escalators and their potential failure states are just as terrifying as stargates.

Stargates: the escalators of interstellar travel?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just started SG-1 since it’s all on Prime. Ten seasons? Sure why not, but let’s give it a few episodes.

“You can stay at my place, let’s go!” :laffo:

E: my knowledge of the stargate universe extends to a re-watch of the movie a couple of months ago.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 24, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You are in for a treat. SG-1 is VERY good. Take the show about as seriously as Jack takes the Air Force.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Just started SG-1 since it’s all on Prime. Ten seasons? Sure why not, but let’s give it a few episodes.

E: my knowledge of the stargate universe extends to a re-watch of the movie a couple of months ago.

This is exactly where I was a year or so ago. Saw the movie in the theater 25 years ago, once or twice since then, never got into the show for some reason. The bits and pieces I saw gave me the impression it was a Hercules/Xena type of show, but it's definitely much better than that and I was pleasantly surprised.

8one6
May 20, 2012

devmd01 posted:

Don't let episode 4 (Emancipation) stop the rewatch. It's the worst episode of the series and every single episode after it is better.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You can skip Emancipation with absolutely zero consequences.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

General Battuta posted:

You can skip Emancipation with absolutely zero consequences.

Oh but you won't get the payoff from revisiting the "reproductive organs on the inside" line! So worth it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah but I think they cut that line from the first episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Oh poo poo that was that episode, I mixed it up. Skip Emancipation!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's worth watching know that everything after is better than that. Gotta experience the low to understand the high!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Didn't they use that line again? In that in universe stargate show?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Cojawfee posted:

Didn't they use that line again? In that in universe stargate show?

They use it again in 200 in the puppet segment

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
They use it in one of the alternate timeline episods too.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

You are in for a treat. SG-1 is VERY good. Take the show about as seriously as Jack takes the Air Force.

Absolutely spot on. Fun show throughout with only a few lemons. SG1 and Atlantis are tons of fun but never did finish Universe past episode 3. It just wasn’t fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Universe is good, it's just a lot different.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Universe is what Stargate is when Syfy demands a new show that's serious like BSG.

Luckily everyone complained and they started adding the humor Stargate is known for. By then it was too late though.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

General Battuta posted:

Has the special edition of Children of the Gods officially superseded the original cut? It wouldn’t make sense if it did, since it cuts the posessed Kawalski cliffhanger and now in episode 2 he suddenly has a Goa’uld out of nowhere.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Also boobs and stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GodFish posted:

They use it in one of the alternate timeline episods too.

It's in Moebius, when we see the alternate versions of the team who never went through the events of Chariots of the Gods.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DogsInSpace! posted:

Absolutely spot on. Fun show throughout with only a few lemons. SG1 and Atlantis are tons of fun but never did finish Universe past episode 3. It just wasn’t fun.

Cojawfee posted:

Universe is good, it's just a lot different.

GreenNight posted:

Universe is what Stargate is when Syfy demands a new show that's serious like BSG.

Luckily everyone complained and they started adding the humor Stargate is known for. By then it was too late though.

It's a product of the state of shows at the time.
The era of 'quirky alien of the week with wise cracking heroes' scifi was at its end.
The era of story arcs and gritty reboots was in its flow, hence Universe.

Still think its the best Stargate, it had the beginnings of an epic story.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

happyhippy posted:

The era of 'quirky alien of the week with wise cracking heroes' scifi was at its end.

Agreed, by the latter half of season 1 I was looking forward to watching it again and it kills me they didn't get to go on.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

100% the fault was on me. I came in expecting light hearted jokes and an alien world that looked like outside Vancouver. I remember it being well filmed, looked expensive and very prestige tv. No fault on the show... I just wanted more SG1 or Atlantis. I had just binged all the rest before and I was late to the SG party. Funny enough the jokes and spirit of the show were why I avoided SG1 as a pre teen. Farscape, Red Dwarf and Lexx were my gateway shows that got me into science fiction. I didn’t watch B5 until 7 years ago (thanks Goons) and Star Trek Next Gen and DS9 until recently. I’m not a good watermark of SG Universe quality.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 25, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DogsInSpace! posted:

100% the fault was on me. I came in expecting light hearted jokes and an alien world that looked like outside Vancouver. I remember it being well filmed, looked expensive and very prestige tv. No fault on the show... I just wanted more SG1 or Atlantis.

OMG SO IT WAS YOU THAT GOT IT CANCELLED
No worries, so did everyone else. I said this before in this thread I think, if Universe came out a year or five later it would have been loved.
There's nothing wrong with light hearted sci-fi, it just doesn't fit an out of control gate seeding ship. Can't have a bad guy race or species to fight against if you can't even find where the toilets are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think a lot of the hate for Universe came from people who didn't even watch the show. I would poo poo on it despite having never seen it because everyone kept comparing it to Voyager and I took their word for it without checking.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I think the only real problem with Universe is that early on everyone is a loving depressed rear end in a top hat. Nobody is having the slightest bit of fun and everyone's a dick for no reason. Once that clears up it's a great show.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DogsInSpace! posted:

100% the fault was on me. I came in expecting light hearted jokes and an alien world that looked like outside Vancouver. I remember it being well filmed, looked expensive and very prestige tv. No fault on the show... I just wanted more SG1 or Atlantis. I had just binged all the rest before and I was late to the SG party.

I'm somewhat like you, came to it late and binged it. Fortunately I had picked up by osmosis that Universe was not the same kind of show, and controversial among fans, so I had just enough inoculation to get me past the shift in tone from SG-1 and Atlantis and hold out until it found what it needed to be (also I knew I was going to enjoy Robert Carlyle no matter what).

And that was definitely still not like the other shows, but it didn't need to be.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I watched most of Season 1 of SGU and I just remember the whole thing being miserable, not liking any of the characters, and being bored while watching it a lot of the time. That they routinely dragged the characters away from cool sci-fi adventures to have questionable sexual encounters on earth via magic rocks didn't help with the boredom element.

I didn't mind that they were trying something different, but I did mind that they were trying something that BSG had already done better and that it wasn't interesting to watch.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was actively uncomfortable watching it, a good portion of the time, for those very same reasons, so I sympathize with that point of view. If I had watched it first run, with no forewarning, I'd probably be right there with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

(also I knew I was going to enjoy Robert Carlyle no matter what)

I feel like this is a big factor all it's own. If you don't enjoy watching Robert Carlyle be a dick to people for the simple reason that Rush is an rear end in a top hat, you're not going to have a good time.

Which is not to say Universe was perfect, it had a lot of issues at the start, and the stone based sexual assaults were problematic as gently caress, but I remember loving the Robert Carlyle Stargate show