Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

IRQ posted:

Some company bought the SGU one before the rest of the poo poo went to public auction.

I thought I read somewhere that the original gate was going to/in the Smithsonian for posterity. I could be wrong, but that sounds pretty awesome if it was true :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

After seeing him in person at the Calgary Expo I can say that he does not look THAT fat anymore, he has trimmed down a lot all things considered. He is also growing his hair out again

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Forever in a Day was on Space yesterday and it reminds me that some of my favourite episodes of SG-1 were dream episodes. That episode in season six where Teal'c wakes up as a firefighter and is having weird dreams that he travels to far worlds and it was all a fever dream caused by him passing his symbiote between him and Bra'tac on a battlefield. That one where the Harsisis makes Daniel dream about the future :allears:

I throw the Groundhog Day episode in there as well since O'Neil and Teal'c are the only ones aware that they are re-living the same 6 hours over again. I wish we had a few more episodes like that, it gave the actors whose characters the episodes were focused on great opportunities to either act out of normal and in some instances we got to see sides of them we normally wouldn't see.

This happened in that one episode in the first season of SGU where they traveled to a planet that had them caught in a black-hole of vortex or something where we ended up learning a bunch of stuff about certain characters but then it kind of came undone by the end since the present SGU people found a recording Lt. Whats-his-face left to warn them to move on

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

DrNutt posted:

:shrug: I dunno, just seems like they rarely shoot anyone with a zat more than once after they make their introduction.

Maybe they wanted to come off as more peaceful and therefore only ever used the stun effect? I dunno how many times did they ever double-zap a person any ways?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Jedit posted:

Why would you have a key to your house if there's only one door?

I think "why would you have a phone number if there's only 1 connection?" would be a more apt analogy

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Tighclops posted:

Stargate was fun but the franchise turned into wannabe low rent Star Trek towards the end and became less enjoyable as a result

Sarcastic people blowing up chariots of the gods motherfuckers with p90s and remembering the weird poo poo they found half a season later is what they need to get back to

Yeah man, we need to detonate more stars with stargates :black101:

Also speaking of disease didn't that happen a bunch in season 1? We had the aging episode with O'Neill, the caveman episode where all of the SGC went down

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah wasn't that the first ship to get glassed as the Ori came through the supergate?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so Farscape (season 1, anyway) is on Amazon Prime and I've been watching it. This show is extremely my poo poo and I wish I could've watched it when it was new. Though I will say it is really weird that a lot of the music stings seem to be from video games I played from the same era, either that or both the Farscape music coordinator and the composers for the games were borrowing these stings from the same public domain music anthologies

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

How are we defining "shitlords"? Are we defining it based off of how they come off to the audience? Or how the creator intended it?

I think Heinlein would not view the military in that light but lots of people who've read his books have come away with the opposite impressions

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I was one of those posters defending the choice to have the military be in command but I also recall that opinion changing as the season went on and the officers were shown to be either inept or power hungry.

I seem to recall thinking that while the ship was still hostile and unknown to everyone it made sense to let the people trained to deal with hostile environments to be in charge of keeping everyone safe and alive, especially considering how many people died or got injured in the first few episodes.

My thoughts changed as the officers turned out to be fairly ill equipped to have that authority, but some of y'all are acting like there were a bunch of psychopaths posting in the thread but then again that was 10 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

this is outta nowhere but you know what was cool? those Atlantis people that just live their entire lives on barely-functioning spaceships. should have done more with them.

whoa poo poo there were Quarians in SGA? poo poo I gotta watch that