Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I started watching SG-1 for the first time a couple months ago, just got to season 6 recently.

Man this show likes to spend a lot of time in the infirmary, huh? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Invalid Validation posted:

When you have like three main sets you use the poo poo out of them. Not exactly the same but most worlds look disturbingly like the forests of Canada.

I'd heard about that enough times to expect it going in. At least they seemed to scout out some different places in the forest though. What's funnier to me is when the forest villages have that vibe of "recruit a bunch of extras from the local SCA scene, they'll even bring their own tents!" going on.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also I think there were at least two or three different offworld cities that were shot on the same college campus, that I recognized from the 2003 BSG miniseries.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

There's a part of me that says "this is stupid and hosed up, what idiot signed off on this?" and another part that says "if Stargate was a real thing tell me some dipshit defense contractor wouldn't have tried hucking this bullshit for some easy grift."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Old Boot posted:

Wait, whoa, what?

WHY.

Brand recognition.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Old Boot posted:

A brand people recognize for going full-tilt grimdark 'it's edgy 'cause it's rape' with no comprehension of how to tie together a cohesive plotline doesn't seem like the best one to choose?? I couldn't even make myself watch the last couple episodes.

Ehh, sort of, but I meant more along the general sense of BSG being about a group of human survivors fleeing the destruction of their civilization at the hands of robots, held together by a big aircraft carrier in space, and an even more basic "oh, I've heard that name before" sense.

I'm sure Syfy is waiting to someday float the idea of an SG-1 reboot, and next time around I'm certain it won't be nearly so cheerful as the original.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Dark One posted:

I don't really know how The Expanse does it, but it deals with grit and poverty and desperation and colonialism without drowning in that oppressive mid-00s grimdark feel.

It's been doing it lately, but I remember the first few episodes feeling like a grim slog.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jack2142 posted:

Edit: I mean the easiest way to reboot would be to just make it so the Stargate Program was inactive longer so instead of just recasting everyone as Jack/Daniel/Teal'c/Carter its a new team formed in 20XX instead of 1997.

It would be kind of funny if the first reboot season had them using 1990s-looking computers because it's what they've got, a bunch of the underlying code wasn't properly documented (or worse, some of the source code can't be found and they'll have to re-write from scratch), and they have to go now.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

General Battuta posted:

One thing I noticed rewatching "Children of the Gods"is that staff weapons are actually [retty effective in the early show. Jaffa can survive a lot of gunfire and the staffs, while inaccurate, are a much faster way to get through their armor. That's kind of neat. I know everyone loves the 'weapon of terror vs. weapon of war' scene but I like it when the bad guy pew pews get some respect.

Yeah, it wasn't just the first episode either. It can vary a bit from episode to episode but the early seasons are pretty consistent with what you described. I honestly wonder if Fabrique Nationale was paying for product placement and promotion.

Based on the early seasons, I would have expected Stargate Command to try reverse-engineering the staff weapons and repackaging them into a more ergonomic form factor - one that combines firepower and accuracy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Floppychop posted:

Because apparently they needed more air time for garbage professional wrestling.

That might have been during the stretch of time where the exec in charge of SYFY was known to literally dislike sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nullsmack posted:

How does that even happen? Whose bright idea was it to put someone that doesn't like sci-fi in charge of the channel that's brand is literally sci-fi?

Channel branding kind of fell apart. The History Channel ran a reality TV show called Ice Road Truckers for over a decade.