Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Minimaul posted:

I finished SG-1 over the weekend and watched both movies. The movies were OK, basically feature length episodes, but decent over all. I really dug the series itself a lot more than I thought, as I said before. I started Atlantis and I'm just about half-way through season 1. It's average so far, but still early in the show so I'll keep on trucking. I'm not expecting anything super spectacular but I'm sure it'll hold my interest if it's anything similar to SG-1.

Atlantis has probably the largest pitched space battle in the entire Stargate franchise, and it's pretty much the show where we really get to see the technological insanity humanity is capable of (especially when it comes to creative applications of nuclear weaponry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

golgo13sf posted:

Thank you, I can never understand how people don't like that episode

I think part of the problem is that it was the second-to-last episode of the show. If it had come right before a season finale a lot more people might like it, but as it is we get that and then a weird, messy finale that really felt like it could have used an extra hour and people just start to feel like they wasted their time with the alternate universe instead of seeing more of the characters the show had been about the entire time.

(For the record, I liked it but think it should have been earlier in the season or something)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Rewatching Atlantis and I absolutely love Shepard's clown monologue during 'The Hive'.

"Armies of them..Piling out of Volkswagons.." He just sounds and looks so shellshocked while discussing humanity's eternal war against clowns.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hahaha, Rodney actually calls Ronan "Conan" during an episode of Atlantis. That really was a perfect casting job (as average as the rest of the movie is).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

IRQ posted:

It's pretty funny to think of all the tech Stargate has technobabbled away or swept under the rug because it was just too god mode when they thought about it for more than 2 seconds.

And then you look at the tech they took to its logical conclusion when put into the hands of the US Military fighting horrible alien monstrosities (multiwarhead naquadriah nukes, using transporters to deliver bombs, using Stargates to blow up suns).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

bobkatt013 posted:

Or destroying solar systems.

That was an accident! And it was only about 5/6s of a system! :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Erslich posted:

Totally random question here: I'm going to try and get autographs from Ben Browder & Chris Judge this weekend at the London Comicon... Have any of you guys met them? I'm a huge fanboy and feeling a little nervous!

Browder, at least, is one of those rare actors who loves the fans, thanks to what fan response did for Farscape. Granted, everyone's human and has bad days, but I think you'll have fun meeting him.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Yaos posted:

Ancient code is so bad it was easier to create a translation layer that allowed DHDs to nativly run C than it was to figure out their gobbeldy gook.

The design of the Stargates only make sense if you want them to be used by cave people.

Or if you're so arrogant as to believe your galaxies-spanning empire will never fall, so those things your people use like we use doorways would never need an instruction manual because everyone already knows how they work.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Conquistador posted:

That episode with the game is absolutely brilliant and awesome. Hahahah god, that has to be one of my favorite episodes.

Every woman in Rodney's nation having Carter's haircut was hilarious.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'm rewatching the show thanks to Hulu and man Amanda Tapping's hair was just all over the place throughout the seasons, wasn't it?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Murphy Brownback posted:

On another note, I really wish they'd purge the fanfic crap from the stargate wiki. His "biography" is full of stuff that never happened in the show so I can only assume it comes from the same bad book/fanfiction/whatever it was that talked about those giant mist alien things being the furlings or whatever.

I ran into that on the Wraith entry last night and was incredibly confused until I realized what was going on. There's a bunch of stuff on there about an "Old One" and the Ancients creating the Wraith (because Heaven forbid the Ancients not be responsible for some danger afflicting millions) that made no sense to me until I realized that they must just lump terrible books in with the actual show or something.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Rhyno posted:

The film universe's Doctor Rodney Mckay is probably a pleasant and polite guy who lacks issues with women.

Obviously it's Rod's timeline :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It's been a while since I saw the Atlantis pilot but wasn't there a scene where Sheppard asks Ford if going through a Gate is painful and gets the reply "Incredibly, sir" just before they go through to Atlantis? Because that seems to have been cut from the version on Hulu for some inexplicable reason.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Rhyno posted:

Since this is the defacto Farscape discussion thread:

Saw Gigi Edgely today. Can confirm that she's still freaking gorgeous and hilarious.

I met her in person a couple of years back at a convention. She signed my copy of Peacekeeper Wars (put a giant speech bubble coming from Chiana with my name and a comment and then put her signature elsewhere) and is an absolute delight to talk to. She will talk to each fan forever if you let her :3:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

bobkatt013 posted:

What about when she was learning English through Sesame Street?

"This child is deficient!"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

IRQ posted:

A bland string of Male Character: "MISOGYNIST THING!!" Agent Carter: *doesn't need no man*

Agent Carter had a man. It was Captain loving America. Literally every other man in post-WWII America is going to fall short by that metric.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Everything has CGI now. There's a video on YouTube that I'm having trouble finding that's basically shots from a dozen or so TV shows that show just how much greenscreen/CGI there is that you just don't notice.

It is everywhere.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

I don't think that's the exact one, but it's basically the same thing.

Also, good choice in studio name :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

pentyne posted:

He's got a great typecast role as the tough looking but slick and smart black guy that requires him to play the same character in almost everything he's in.

I still remember him from First Wave way back in the late 90s. Now that's a show I wish was available on-demand somewhere.

Gaz-L posted:

Am I the only one who grew up with Chalk as Optimus Prime/al? I can't hear anything else when I hear him talk, unless it's in an accent.

:stare: Holy poo poo. Not gonna unhear that now.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

McSpanky posted:

However, Planet Rural Vancouver remains a popular vacation destination.

That said, they do start visiting plants with actual cities and such as their budget improves. You'll still see the forest but every so often they end up in a building instead.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

mossyfisk posted:

You can drive tanks through a stargate so try not to think about it too hard

Yeah, but first you have to get the tank to the gate.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Wait, are those photos being sold by Na'toth from Babylon 5? :psyduck:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

banned from Starbucks posted:

Boy howdy let me tell you how noone cares about this little whine crusade you're on.

It was a pretty weird comment, dude. Why Brits, specifically?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
There actually was an episode that showed them working on upgrading staff weapons. It was the one where one of the scientists had to present a scaled-down version of one publicly and then have it break to sort of create a technological paper trail.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've been rewatching Atlantis on Hulu and I'm noticing a lot of static, especially in darker scenes. It almost looks like an encoding error or something.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The show CapnBry described would have been a good show. Unfortunately, that's not the show Ascension actually was, though it sure wanted you to think that at first.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tighclops posted:

Except for all those aliens from that space race episode

I've always been a little confused by that. How did all of those guys not get flattened by a System Lord at some point?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
There's no safety feature to prevent a wormhole from being closed while something is only partway through

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I was also remembering an incident where a bunch of Jaffa were fleeing through a Stargate and it shut down before one was all the way through, cutting off the end of his staff weapon.

That may have been the Earth gate, though. I remember zero context for it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Invalid Validation posted:

One of the season finales, 5 I think, has a full blown Goa’uld invasion on earth with a ton of spaceships. That poo poo ain’t staying covered up.

Didn't some aerospace tech bro nearly blow the lid off of the whole thing after that battle? Like, he had a cloned Asgard or something.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

8one6 posted:

As the series went on we saw that the SGC had a staff of scientists (because Carter just couldn't physically do everything) so I assumed that there was also a team of archeologists (probably at Area 51) that would follow up on Dr. Jackson's work or there was someone who's full time job was to just research and write reports on every single god ever worshipped on Earth and cross-referencing it with info the Tok'ra and Jaffa were giving them.

I'm pretty sure one of the B-Teams we see at one point does explicitly have an archaeologist on it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

GreenNight posted:

This is what the Stargate and Dark Matter showrunner is working on next.

https://twitter.com/BaronDestructo/status/1349696869283344388?s=20

Those are really fun books so I'm suddenly very excited about this.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

banned from Starbucks posted:

The Asgard could have just given Earth its like shittiest ship and we would have been fine. No need to send their supreme commander here half a dozen times to bail us out or bluff the goa'uld at all. Tollans too were pretty much assholes with their "we're not giving you anything even defensive tech. sorry not sorry" Like motherfuckers do you know how many times over we can blow up our own planet with the nukes we already have and you wont give us a wind chime that turns off some dudes mp5?

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Thor enjoyed getting to zip over to Earth and lend a hand occasionally.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Taear posted:

I do want to know why the actor for Weir changed. I liked Jessica Steen a lot better I think.

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2021/06/jessica-steen-finally-reveals-why-stargate-recast-dr-weir/

tl;dr: She accidentally made them think she had commitments elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Vietnamwees posted:

I mean, I WANT to love it...but I'm pretty sure that all or most of it will be terrible.

BSG Deadlock was really good so if the same people are in charge I'm at least hopeful.