Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Yehudis Basya posted:

I think they knew it was a racist trope to have the darker skinned character also be the wise, quiet warrior. Still not sure why they went with it, and why the closest thing to addressing this issue on the show was the fact that girls WITH VAGINAS could do man-science!!!!! It's one of the worst bits of the series- why no black scientists? Or black military leaders? loving bullshit. Hollywood is goddamned racist.

In the SG-1 episode "Tin Man", a robot dude makes robot copies of Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, and O'Neil. Robot Teal'c is messed up and tries to murder Robot O'Neil. The robot creator keeps calling Teal'c "different black". I always thought that was a reference to the racism of the show, but maybe it's not, who knows?

Agreed! I thought it was an excellent send off for all of the stargate shows. It really captured the adventurous, sometimes melancholy but ultimately uplifting spirit of the show. You should definitely check it out!

And of course we'll never know what happens as the SGU Movie was cancelled :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Yehudis Basya posted:

Perhaps it would have been about the prevailing hypothesis in the SGU thread? Some of the girls wake up pregnant and Rush has a penis grafted onto his forehead; meanwhile, Eli is all shifty and claiming innocence.

This.....is awesome :clint:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Hey guys, I miss SGU :reddit:

e: I'm probably the only person in existence who feels that way.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Conquistador posted:

I don't think so? Pretty common sentiment in this thread that it gets pretty awesome right before it got taken off the air. I miss Atlantis more :(

oh my god, I just found both seasons of SGU on Netflix

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

GreenNight posted:

It was meant to be a season finale. They had a bunch of stories and partial scripts written for season 6 when the word came down they were canceled.

Why were SGA, SGU and the movies cancelled? I was under the impression the shows still had pretty good audience sizes.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

IRQ posted:

MGM had less money than a homeless crackwhore at the time.

Oh right, I forgot MGM owned the franchise.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

i'm actually watching SGU again for the first time since it aired. I'm not hating it this time around...

Yeah, I finished rewatching it on Friday and it was far better. Well, until s2ep12 when I had watched 32 episodes of it in a 48 hour time frame and took a week long break :suicide:.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I had forgotten how insufferable Ares is in S1E06 of Atlantis.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

richardfun posted:

I recently got Netflix, and when I saw Atlantis on there, I decided I'd watch some of the best episodes. Your Tao of Rodney, your The Game, your The Shrine, and all the season premieres and finales (because boy, do I love me some space battles).

Then, I started to check out which other episodes I had fond memories of. Now I've watched every single one, except for two that are mainly about Teyla.

Before now, I didn't know I missed this franchise so much. And I can't even drown my sorrows with SG-1, because that isn't on Netflix for some reason...

Stargate: Atlantis isn't on Netflix amigo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Is that new red text intended as an insult I don't think so