Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

General Emergency posted:

For the Euros: All 10 seasons of SG-1 just went up on Netflix.

Would have never known if you didn't post it, this is awesome. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Conquistador posted:

It used to have all of SG1 and SGA as well. One of the reasons I didn't maintain my account was because they removed them, but my King of the Hill itch will need scratching soon so I'll probably re-up.

They're both still on European Netflix. Just use proxy then or block-circumvention software? :confused:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Rush is the most realistic genius in all of stargate, because unlike Daniel Jackson and Samantha Carter, you don't get to be the top of your field and good at lots of other things AND friendly and well adjusted.

I would agree with you except I finally assed myself to binge trough BSG a couple months ago.

They're almost exactly the same loving character. :shepicide:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blasphemeral posted:

Why does nearly everyone think this? What is it, exactly that got you interested enough in SG-1 to give it a shot? Are you telling me you didn't watch the movie first?

I've seen every episode of both SG1 and Atlantis. I hadn't even heard of the movie until a couple of years after I started watching.

Then again I saw my first episode in 2007. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Idran posted:

Just out of curiosity, didn't you wonder where the flashback footage of Ra's ship came from?

I don't even remember there being any.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

The idea was obviously that while the SGC had produced major benefits in the past, it didn't have the same potential that newer programs such as those FTL ships did. It's never brought up for some reason, but it seems to me that all the SGC being marginalised talk in the show is as much a comment on SG-A as anything.

SG-1 started the ball rolling, produced that new program (Atlantis), and now it gets the focus while they just still keep on doing their thing.

I thought it was an interesting idea, executed poorly. Got far too self-referential, and the amount of resources the SGC lost were absurd considering that the border crossing between Earth and the entire rest of the universe ended up with less manpower than some national border crossings on Earth.

It did make sense though. If there was a secret military pack governing FTL spaceships then you'd bet your rear end they prioritize every partner country getting one of their own over some wanton exploration.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

They explicitly agreed to mine the naquadah to help the war effort against their ancient enemies, the Goa'uld.

The SGC seems to have no shortage of naquadah after the Goa'uld are defeated. I'm honestly not sure anyone ever told the Unas.

Didn't they swap out the naquadah for naquadria somewhere around the point where Jonas Quinn got written out of the show?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Picture Mcgyver walking trough the forests of Vancouver, forever.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've been watching stargate universe S2 through Netflix and goddamn, it really did get better, you weren't lying all this time. Just got to the groundhog episode. :neckbeard:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god Window of Opportunity is running on my local lovely tv channel. What a pleasant surprise. :swoon:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I legitimately have more female friends who've watched through Stargate than male.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ad-television in Sweden, the same channel has been running SG-1 nonstop for almost a decade.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

vandelay industries posted:

Anyway, did anyone stick with Dark Matter all the way through the first season? How was it? I got bored after the 2nd episode.

The show was for the most part an agressively mediocre low budget show with a few outstanding episodes. I don't regret watching it but I wouldn't call it good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aragosta posted:

Nothing of the Host survives!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How is he still so buff.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Dark Matter ending on a cliffhanger was a real bummer.

Dark Matter failed because it had two awful first seasons that didn't build an audience.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gelf posted:

I'd be pissed at his "one rule for thee, one rule for me" approach to the one personal item rule if I were on the expedition!

Kinda pointless to get upset about it when the grift has already passed though.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but it’s not like that at all.

Yeah The Expanse has magic engines, tactical gravity and magic alien molecules. It's not really about realism at all.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My point is it's just a different style of non-realism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Through the Gate: A Stargate SG-1 Retrospective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cClnrO64mpE