Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was one of those things where Daniel, as the central character and civilian, was the one who was supposed to express all that wonder, and O'Neil was the military industrial complex and was specifically chosen because he was already suicidal with nothing to lose.

I guess Disney's Atlantis did the whole wonderment thing better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's something I really like about a character who is working towards the same goal, on the same team, just they're uncontrollably a jerk. Sometimes in life you just won't like people you need to work with, and that's ok if you just work like a professional.

Also it created a better antipathy between Shepard and the science team than O'Neal just being dismissive of Daniel.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was showing some of Stargate to my mom, and we got to the episode where Daniel's wife is freed from goa'uld control as a side effect of pregnancy, and my mom really focused on how apparently they just found the cure for infection and just forgot about it.

Inject a bunch of hormones into a host, and bam.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

They should have had an episode where they cold open on what looks like present day Earth, and then follow a group discovering the Stargate, learning how it works, assembling a team to go through it. Basically the plot of the first half of the film. Then right at the end, they dial a random planet to start exploring the universe, go through the Stargate for the first time, and are instantly disintegrated by the closed Iris on Earth. A quick scene of SG Command shrugging off the incident and going about their day, and then credits.

That one episode where Odo thudded on the other end of the gate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was kinda put off by how later seasons had a lot of power drift, and if they started up the series again from where it left off, it'd have to be of Earth being the top power in the galaxy. You can't really top beating genuine omniscient beings with godlike powers.

One of the things Stargate had going for it was how it was so grounded, and it just kinda wasn't by the end.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Stargate does kinda just take a hard atheist perspective on religion, which feels a little uncomfortable.

Zurui posted:

And, to be fair, both the Asgardians and Ancients/Ori created HUGE loving DISASTERS that nearly wiped out several galaxies, so maybe hippie plant-hair Quark and his buddies had the right idea.

What disasters did the Asgard cause? I thought they just wound up getting wiped out by the garbage that the Ancients left behind.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's weird that Stargate decided to establish that the system lords had ruled, unchanging for the thousands of years since they were kicked off of earth, and then the balance of the galaxy only shifts in the few years after Earth finally starts up the stargate program.

Zesty posted:

One interpreted theme from one episode does not negate the very obvious overall message the show was imparting.

I mean, if their intention was to impart the message that religion is bad, they don't really do a very good job of it. They sorta just rely on broad stereotypes that don't align with historical fact (IE, the Egyptians may have had slavery, but the pyramids weren't built by slaves, and the medieval church was actually a bastion of academic scholarship), and it'd be a real stretch to interpret much of that as a metaphor for modern religion.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I love that the ancient society was nothing but rational actors and they assumed everyone for the rest of time would be rational actors and literally every device they made had the caveat of "it could do this terrible thing, but no sane person would ever set it up to do that."

If the ancients were willfully ignorant of other people's problems when they were mortal, that explains their policies as omnipotent beings.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Zesty posted:

When each planet has a couple thousand slaves, Earth has around 7 billion people available for the taking.

But yeah, bury it. Bad guys probably don’t have ships or anything.

Well, they left Earth alone for a few thousand years after a bronze age rebellion made things slightly inconvenient for them, and it's easy to imagine them just forgetting about it again. The Goa'uld are extremely lazy. Still, it's hard to turn down the opportunities of the galaxy.

Also it was only 6 billion back in the 90s.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm really not sure that the Stargate writers really had it in them to devise a whole new world order for when the Stargate program is public knowledge and Earth starts adopting more alien technology and the nations of the world adopting a new political structure to deal with Earth's new position in galactic politics. At least, not without just making a whole new show to establish the new status quo from scratch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Was it Stargate where the movie existed in-world as a way of discrediting leaks about the stargate program, or was that Men In Black?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really liked the episode where Daniel just pulls up a website to explain myths.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think longer seasons that have time to burn on weird ideas makes more sense when it's a show that will air on TV and viewers may come in and out as opposed to a streaming service where you will be more rigidly locked into sequential viewing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Zats and staffs were so much cooler.

Not as cool when you're in studio and kinda have to just wiggle it around in your hand and hope that the sfx team agrees with you on when and where the gun is shooting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I haven't mustered the will to watch the Expanse, but from what I've heard it seems laboriously tailored to appealing to science nerds about realism about space travel according to currently available technology.

Which is unfortunate because unless there's some kind of major technological or economic shift (and those do happen every so often in history) then space travel really sucks to be involved with because it's just being cooped up in small rooms for years while your body slowly dissolves, and if corporations get free reign in space and don't get pared back at all, they'll probably want to grind people up and throw them away on whatever space things happen in the future.

Just sounds really not fun or aspirational at all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the big strengths of the original Stargate was that it was pretty cheap and simple to get a lot of real-world gun props and uniforms and just get into the squad hopping onto another planet where maybe there could be an elaborate set, or maybe there could be just a couple huts in the mud, or maybe it's just inside of an office building and they can't go outside for reasons. Maybe there's some kind of huge existential threat for the fate of the planet on the other side of the gate, maybe it's just some goofy guy fooling around, but either way you're not getting many people through the bottleneck of the gate. Kinda like how Dr. Who scooted by with its low budget and do a mix of serious and silly. You lose a lot of that when there's a spaceship armada to keep track of.

The only way I can think of to maintain continuity with the old series but reclaim more of that smaller scale is to set the entire new series an another planet where those humans have just figured out the gate network and started exploring, and maybe Earth and the free Jaffa nation have hit some kind of calamity toppling them from galactic dominance, or maybe they've clammed up to be like all those other technologically superior societies that refused to help earth, but either way, some new alien factions have begun to dominate the galaxy.

I guess another problem with the Stargate setting getting filled up with established things is that the grand theme of superior aliens maintaining their superiority by keeping humans in ignorance is that at some point maybe you'll start running out of ignorance. The whole deal with the Ori was that they made the aliens into basically gods so there's another level of superiority to be ignorant of, and it was just a mess.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

pixaal posted:

There's a couple call backs as them being the suspects of a crime. I'm fairly certain they don't come back. SG-1 was really good about ditching bad concepts and then mocking them later.

RIP Daniel's uncle who raised him like a son.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you make other alien races have wacky abilities, it stands to reason that maybe some human design features are unique and special, even though they obviously wouldn't seem special within the terrestrial biosphere. There's a lot of hubris assuming that humans are the baseline bog standard of the galaxy.

Although probably also don't make humans turn out to be the most creative and innovative species either.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At the very start, they had to hack the gate to get it to work at all, because Earth's gate came without its control device.

With Atlantis they also have the excuse that they're harvesting Ancient technology designed from the start to work with the gates.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

alexandriao posted:

- most of the show, does in fact take place on ground :cheeky:

Except for all the time they're on spaceships, which I think the later seasons got more dominated by.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They kinda had to stick with Daniel being a linguist since it was in the movie, but it's also no good for the plot to have the language barrier always in the way, so they fudged him into becoming a general-purpose social sciences guy.

Weirdly, I think that's something that Star Trek Enterprise managed to get a good balance of. They've got an autotranslator that a technician needs to actively program, and sometimes it just doesn't work right or fast enough so the resident linguist still gets plenty of work. There's even episodes where the linguist and autotranslator aren't around and they have to muddle through the language barrier without, although it doesn't reach the heights of Darmok (which itself didn't have much of a reason why the autotranslator didn't work).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the way was structured so that it needed good villains was itself a weakness, since that means the show can't really pivot, and relations with the Asgard and the Ancients and the Nox and the cloud aliens and Dom DeLuise and any other powerful group were very awkward because humanity was under constant threat and some dumb alien being weird and enigmatic and refusing to help humanity while it's in trouble is going to be annoying.

The Ori were lame. They really wanted to bring the series back to its roots of Earthlings rolling up to space people to tell them their gods aren't real, except this time it's not fancy technology pretending to be gods, it's people who just naturally have god powers in every way so what it means to not be a god is confusing. Less historical research required. Ascension is neat when it's an abstract concept, but then the politics and the cold war where everyone is clearly violating the rules, it's just a dumb mess.

Maybourne was a fun villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

There's also a TVIV one where someone was doing a blind watch, though it's been inactive since July

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928658

If there isn't one in the sci-fi wi-fi as well, there should be.